Recommended Posts

I think the 2019 draft is heavy up top. You have two great ones in Zion and Barret in the top 2 and probably a couple more will emerge as the draft approaches. After that the talent level drops off a lot. This is the year to deliver the pick to Boston unless we get the top 2 pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, chipc3 said:

That’s cold. 

I don’t understand trading two young players on expiring deals AND two 2nd round draft picks for a 29 year old player who isn’t significantly better. It’s not like Holiday is going to move the team needle that much.

Marshon  will be 30 in three weeks

But Ive been saying it for years that I don’t think Wallace has any kind of plan or long term vision. He just makes moves to makes move. I even think the formulation of the core 4 was pure luck 

I wish he would just explain his vision and his plan to get there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Word on the street is that there was a bidding war for Justin Holiday and his price went up.    Not saying i agree with the trade but nobody was going to take both Marshon and Selden without us giving up picks.   The failed trade forced the FO hand to have to make a move because they were understandably becoming a distraction. 

Question is would you rather have Oubre  or Dillon  + Holiday.    In both deals Grizz were sending out the two 2nd round picks.   I think i'd take Dillon + Holiday because both Oubre and Justin are expirings.    Dillon still has some ceiling as a scorer to explore and still under contract.  While being younger than both Oubre and Justin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only other trade i would make outside of Mike and Marc is for Tim Hardaway Jr.    Package Temple and JaM to make it happen.   He is the only longterm salary guy that i think can help now and in future that is realistically available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Only other trade i would make outside of Mike and Marc is for Tim Hardaway Jr.    Package Temple and JaM to make it happen.   He is the only longterm salary guy that i think can help now and in future that is realistically available. 

Him and Fournier. But my dream option is to move Marc for Beal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fournier is underrated. Dude would be great here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is stating the obvious but ESPN says that the Grizzlies are trying to find a way to trade Parsons without having to include a 1st round draft pick to move him. Rotoworld chimed in with their thoughts (in bold below) and I would agree with them on that: good luck with that.
 
 
 
The Grizzlies will reportedly attempt to find a trade partner for Chandler Parsons.
 
Yeah, good luck with that. Parsons is owed roughly $38 million through 2020, and Memphis is reportedly unwilling to include a first-round pick to try and entice teams to take on his bloated contract. Any team that trades for him would essentially ruin their free agency plans next summer, with Parsons still on the books for $25.1 million for the 2019-20 season, and it's tough to see an NBA club willing to sacrifice any assets for a guy who has been confined to just 73 games since the 2016-17 season. Jan 9 - 10:47 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1869/chandler-parsons

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25709108/chandler-parsons-disappointed-leave-grizzlies-ready-play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly believe that the Grizzlies FO should swallow their pride and invite Parsons back to the big club and play him immediately. 

Only one of three things would happen if they do this and all of them appear on paper to be positive for the Grizzlies. 

  1. Parsons plays well, re-energizes his buddies Marc and Mike and helps the team win games again
  2. Parsons plays poorly and he has no excuse to demand more playing time so he goes willingly to the Hustle to work on his game conditioning
  3. He gets hurt again and the Grizzlies can request an injured player exemption that enables the insurance to pay off his contract while they can replace half of it I believe in new players. 

None of these are bad outcomes for the franchise. As we stand now Mike and Marc seem out of sorts, the team is losing and the team is still paying Parsons salary. There is bad blood between the players and the front office from the handling of Parsons and the botched trade of Brooks and Selden before their inevitable trade. Something needs to done to get the team focused back on basketball. 

The Front Office created this mess. They need to take the higher road and bring him back. Parsons says he is ready. Let him prove it. If he isn't ready it will be obvious pretty quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I honestly believe that the Grizzlies FO should swallow their pride and invite Parsons back to the big club and play him immediately. 

Only one of three things would happen if they do this and all of them appear on paper to be positive for the Grizzlies. 

  1. Parsons plays well, re-energizes his buddies Marc and Mike and helps the team win games again
  2. Parsons plays poorly and he has no excuse to demand more playing time so he goes willingly to the Hustle to work on his game conditioning
  3. He gets hurt again and the Grizzlies can request an injured player exemption that enables the insurance to pay off his contract while they can replace half of it I believe in new players. 

None of these are bad outcomes for the franchise. As we stand now Mike and Marc seem out of sorts, the team is losing and the team is still paying Parsons salary. There is bad blood between the players and the front office from the handling of Parsons and the botched trade of Brooks and Selden before their inevitable trade. Something needs to done to get the team focused back on basketball. 

The Front Office created this mess. They need to take the higher road and bring him back. Parsons says he is ready. Let him prove it. If he isn't ready it will be obvious pretty quickly. 

I completely agree with you that they never should have gone down this road. I would have done so as well and would have let him back into the rotation, playing 10 to 15 minutes per game just to see how he looks. I expect pretty quickly that scenario #3 would have happened, at which point Parsons just goes back on the shelf and we no longer have to hear about him. If scenario #3 didn't happen, then scenario #2 almost certainly would have been the result.

 

Either one is better than this fiasco that results in them trying to trade an untradeable player. The only way he can be traded is by moving other assets with him (players or draft picks) and considering the rebuild that is about to come, they certainly don't need to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

I completely agree with you that they never should have gone down this road. I would have done so as well and would have let him back into the rotation, playing 10 to 15 minutes per game just to see how he looks. I expect pretty quickly that scenario #3 would have happened, at which point Parsons just goes back on the shelf and we no longer have to hear about him. If scenario #3 didn't happen, then scenario #2 almost certainly would have been the result.

Either one is better than this fiasco that results in them trying to trade an untradeable player. The only way he can be traded is by moving other assets with him (players or draft picks) and considering the rebuild that is about to come, they certainly don't need to do that.

Would have, could have, should have. I am saying right now they need to bring him back and play him 30-35 minutes a night. If he is as ready as he claims that shouldn't be a problem. If he brakes down then there is the ammunition you need to get out of his contract with the injured player exception. Parsons has been doing a lot of talking. It is time to put up or shut up. 

I agree with your entire second paragraph however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Would have, could have, should have. I am saying right now they need to bring him back and play him 30-35 minutes a night. If he is as ready as he claims that shouldn't be a problem. If he brakes down then there is the ammunition you need to get out of his contract with the injured player exception. Parsons has been doing a lot of talking. It is time to put up or shut up. 

I agree with your entire second paragraph however. 

I completely agree. At this point it's time to call his bluff. I give him 5 games before he's out with gluteal soreness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I completely agree. At this point it's time to call his bluff. I give him 5 games before he's out with gluteal soreness.

"Give me a M...F....Jersey!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I completely agree. At this point it's time to call his bluff. I give him 5 games before he's out with gluteal soreness.

The FO is currently acting as if they have gluteal soreness. Step up and bring him back and play him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

 

Did the ABA have FO's this bad?

Just the Pittsburgh Condors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Just the Pittsburgh Condors.

I've got the book Loose Balls about the ABA.  Memphis management wasn't too great either.  I think we burned through 3 franchises in the history of that league.  

Between that and the post-Russell/Wilt/West NBA how did pro basketball stay in business? Somebody cut Dr. J a check!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guillermo said:

our front office 

See the source image

 

              ☝🏾🏾🏾🏾🏾🏾🏾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I've got the book Loose Balls about the ABA.  Memphis management wasn't too great either.  I think we burned through 3 franchises in the history of that league.  

Between that and the post-Russell/Wilt/West NBA how did pro basketball stay in business? Somebody cut Dr. J a check!

I forget the name of the guy (EDIT- Marty Blake), but he ran or helped run the Condors, he was asked why the heck was the club named the Condors. He said like the condor, they were doomed to extinction. He later worked for the NBA.

ABA had a couple teams that made money but were not included in expansion. I think it was Louisville and the Virginia team. 

Of course there was the one team that got totally screwed, the Flint Tropics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I forget the name of the guy (EDIT- Marty Blake), but he ran or helped run the Condors, he was asked why the heck was the club named the Condors. He said like the condor, they were doomed to extinction. He later worked for the NBA.

ABA had a couple teams that made money but were not included in expansion. I think it was Louisville and the Virginia team. 

Of course there was the one team that got totally screwed, the Flint Tropics...

I don't have the particulars but I remember reading about a guy who played for one of the ABA franchises...

There was a player (don't recall the name) who refused to get on a team flight .  The departure city was in the Eastern Time Zone, the arrival city was in the Central Time Zone.  The flight time was less than an hour, so the arrival time was earlier than the departure time.  He refused to get on the flight because there was no way he was gonna get on no time machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not in the "tank" crew, but we do need to make a move or some sort. Obviously getting Fournier or Hardaway is what we want, that and just getting anything at all for Parsons. Either way, we need some good young assets.

Maybe we should go after Courtney Lee and Frank Ntilikina for JaM and Temple. Salaries match up, New York saves 16 million for next year, we get an okay role player and an intriguing young Combo guard. JaM is still good, but honestly Temple isn't any better than CLee right now anyway. Neither side would have to give up picks either. 

I'd still probably prefer Hardaway, but CLee isn't bad, and if we are going to have to eat Parsons contract anyway, might as well get what we can get without any cap room. Both come off the books at the same time, or we can just use CLee as an expiring contract next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Knicks has some contracts they want to offload, like Lee's, Hardaway's and Thomas's, but will the Knicks trade Ntilikina just to get off one of those? I don't know. The young kid has some trade value and could possibly net them a protected 1st. I would not mind taking Lee or Hardaway along with Ntilikina but I think NY would want more in return, not just some expiring contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 5:58 AM, grizzgolf said:

Fournier is underrated. Dude would be great here

I don't know about great but he'd be an upgrade over any of our other swingmen. You know who I do think would be great but the majority of the board poo pooed the idea of trading for this guy and that would be Tobias Harris who is averaging 21 ppg while shooting 50% from the field, 43% from 3 and 89% from the FT strike while averaging 8 rpg. The clippers are the surprise team in the West. The majority of the board didn't want to trade for this guy, you know because he has been traded before, yet every time someone gets waived, someone on this board starts up a thread wanting o pick up somebody who just got waived.

Harris could have helped this team tremendously. We need a high scoring wing that can rebound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't know about great but he'd be an upgrade over any of our other swingmen. You know who I do think would be great but the majority of the board poo pooed the idea of trading for this guy and that would be Tobias Harris who is averaging 21 ppg while shooting 50% from the field, 43% from 3 and 89% from the FT strike while averaging 8 rpg. The clippers are the surprise team in the West. The majority of the board didn't want to trade for this guy, you know because he has been traded before, yet every time someone gets waived, someone on this board starts up a thread wanting o pick up somebody who just got waived.

Harris could have helped this team tremendously. We need a high scoring wing that can rebound. 

And I still wouldnt trade JJJ for him plus those Clipper picks plus Pat Beverly even if it unloads Parsons deal. I bet the Clippers would be loving that deal too despite what Harris is doing. In a year we would have yet another fringe Allstar on a max deal. Seen that enough. Dont tell half the story and leave the other part out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now