Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigHunkALove

Tracking Playoff Positioning 2015

If the playoffs were current seedings, I'd be really happy both as a Grizzlies fan and a BB fan:

MEM V DAL - IMO our best chance to get to 2nd rnd

HOU V SAS - battle of the two Texas titans, and a good chance of SAS getting knocked off

LAC V POR - would be a great west coast battle

GSW V OKC - probably the only team in the bottom half of the top 10 who could give GSW a really good run for their money

Dear Lord, please let it happen, and I'm confident ZBO & Co. Will take it from there

If the playoffs were current seedings, I'd be really happy both as a Grizzlies fan and a BB fan:

MEM V DAL - IMO our best chance to get to 2nd rnd

HOU V SAS - battle of the two Texas titans, and a good chance of SAS getting knocked off

LAC V POR - would be a great west coast battle

GSW V OKC - probably the only team in the bottom half of the top 10 who could give GSW a really good run for their money

Dear Lord, please let it happen, and I'm confident ZBO & Co. Will take it from there

best case for Grizz is if HOU knocks out SAS. as a bball fan, that will be a very entertaining first round, especially OKC vs GSW and POR vs LAC

That was Tony Barone Jr's player. He wanted Curry bad. Rumor is that Wallace wanted Tyreke Evans and Heisley wanted Thabust. Tony Barone Sr said that if you draft Thabust you have to play him a minimum of 20 minutes a night. Clearly that didn't happen and the rest is history.

Still Memphis came out okay. They traded Darko for Quentin Richardson for Zach Randolph.

Lionel supposedly wanted Curry as well.

Is anybody checking out the Clippers?

They have a big game tonight against the GSW, and if they win, they tie Houston in win column, and only 1 game back of Memphis.

The next night they have the sliding Trailblazers.

Followed by a lineup of the Grizzlies & 5 non-playoff teams (Lakers twice).

That could be a critical game with the Grizzlies.

Is anybody checking out the Clippers?

They have a big game tonight against the GSW, and if they win, they tie Houston in win column, and only 1 game back of Memphis.

The next night they have the sliding Trailblazers.

Followed by a lineup of the Grizzlies & 5 non-playoff teams (Lakers twice).

That could be a critical game with the Grizzlies.

Only if the Grizzlies fail to win the division.

We really need dallas to beat houston tonight especially since it is a southwest division game.  It would give houston one more loss than the grizz, and If both grizz and houston finish with the same record, division wins will be the next deciding factor.  Currently, grizz are 8-7 and houston is 6-6.

Feels like that southwest division banner has slipped away.  Houston has to play spurs twice, but the first game will be the 3rd game in 4 nights for spurs.  Knowing the spurs, they will be resting some players in the first game, and the 2nd game is @ houston.

There's a good chance houston will only have one more loss this year.  Like last year in the playoffs, we had a chance to beat okc and advance, and we seemed not ready to take it.  This year, we had a good chance to win the division, and we didn't seem ready to take it.  Kind of dissappointing.  We got a very slim outside shot.  I would think golden state will be resting players when we see them again, but the rest of the schedule is still tough.

April 8th:  if the grizz want to give themselves one last chance, we must beat new orleans.  Pretty much we must win every game, but this one is in the division.

Feels like that southwest division banner has slipped away.  Houston has to play spurs twice, but the first game will be the 3rd game in 4 nights for spurs.  Knowing the spurs, they will be resting some players in the first game, and the 2nd game is @ houston.

There's a good chance houston will only have one more loss this year.  Like last year in the playoffs, we had a chance to beat okc and advance, and we seemed not ready to take it.  This year, we had a good chance to win the division, and we didn't seem ready to take it.  Kind of dissappointing.  We got a very slim outside shot.  I would think golden state will be resting players when we see them again, but the rest of the schedule is still tough.

April 8th:  if the grizz want to give themselves one last chance, we must beat new orleans.  Pretty much we must win every game, but this one is in the division.

I am afraid you might be spot on.  Grizzlies simply have to win ALL home games left (4) and it would really be nice to win 2 of the 3 games on the road, but the way the team has been playing and with TA being out because of a hamstring, that might be too much to ask.  

I am hoping GSW might be resting players when we see them but it is also a big possibility that Pops will rest some of his players in the back to back with HOU coming up, so HOU might take 1 of those games.

I am in complete agreement with you.  If the division and the #2 seed slip away, it wont be because of the losses to CLE, GSW and SA consecutively.  It will be completely and totally because of losses to DET (when we led by 17 and they had players out-G Monroe), NOLA (when we led by 18 and they had players out), MIN (when Zbo inexplicably fouled Rubio 65 feet from the basket and put him on the line when the game was tied or we were up 1) and the game in SAC the last time we played them there.

Grizzlies had worked so hard to build in a cushion and they did the unthinkable--they lost all the cushion and maybe too much.  We will see how the last 7 games turn out.  Right now, who knows?  Grizz mainly just need to get back to playing well.  And if their reward for this regular season is a date with SA in the first round, then they most likely can dust off their fishing poles and golf clubs a lot earlier than otherwise expected earlier this season.  

Should have already been resting players about 3 weeks ago.  Mike conley was hurting, and we let him play until he ran himself ragged which made no sense with two other point guards on the roster.  Zbo looks worn out from carrying the team for a while there when he came back from his injury.   Good news is the all star still looks fresh, but then again, he doesn't seem to go all out all the time, so maybe that explains it.  I'm pretty sure the southwest division is lost, so i might alternate sitting out players for the rest of the season.  Take the losses and drop in playoff seeding.  If that means no home court advantage in any series, then fine.

We don't seem to play well when we have an advantage anyways.  Game 6 last year would be a good example. Losing to the clippers first round with home court advantage in 2011-12 would be another one.

That was Tony Barone Jr's player. He wanted Curry bad. Rumor is that Wallace wanted Tyreke Evans and Heisley wanted Thabust. Tony Barone Sr said that if you draft Thabust you have to play him a minimum of 20 minutes a night. Clearly that didn't happen and the rest is history.

Still Memphis came out okay. They traded Darko for Quentin Richardson for Zach Randolph.

Lionel supposedly wanted Curry as well.

According to Tillery, Barone Jr., Eggman, and Lionel Hollins all wanted Curry, but Sr. and Heisley were in on Thabeet.

No indicator of where Wallace stood

My belief, and I only base this on general knowledge of Wallace, is that he would not have gone with Thabeet had Heisley not interfered, but I also doubt he had a really strong enough opinion on another player to convince Heisley otherwise.

Yeah, i'm still thinking that getting 2nd is very slim.  If everyone wants portland so much, the ideal situation would be grizz holding onto 3rd, because i think spurs and clippers will bypass portland in the end.  Portland owns tiebreaker vs spurs.  Clippers own tiebreaker over portland and most likely over the spurs too.  So if portland gets 6th and we are 3rd and spurs/clippers are 4/5 seeds, you probably don't see spurs or golden state until the western finals.   2nd round opponent would likely be houston.

Any ways, the grizz and every other western nba team will have to play four tough series to win it all.  Golden state is obviously the best team this year in the west.  The spurs are the defending champs.  Clippers, Grizz, Houston, Portland all have good teams.  I'd put dallas and okc at a slightly lower level, but they are certainly capable of upsets and have experience and star power.   New orleans is no slouch.  Teams in the east have it made.  They play two tough series at most to win it all.

Yeah, i'm still thinking that getting 2nd is very slim.  If everyone wants portland so much, the ideal situation would be grizz holding onto 3rd, because i think spurs and clippers will bypass portland in the end.  Portland owns tiebreaker vs spurs.  Clippers own tiebreaker over portland and most likely over the spurs too.  So if portland gets 6th and we are 3rd and spurs/clippers are 4/5 seeds, you probably don't see spurs or golden state until the western finals.  2nd round opponent would likely be houston.

Any ways, the grizz and every other western nba team will have to play four tough series to win it all.  Golden state is obviously the best team this year in the west.  The spurs are the defending champs.  Clippers, Grizz, Houston, Portland all have good teams.  I'd put dallas and okc at a slightly lower level, but they are certainly capable of upsets and have experience and star power.  Teams in the east have it made.  They play two tough series at most to win it all.

Portland cannot fall below 4th because they are a division winner and the rules are that a division winner has to be in the top 4 places no matter their record. It would seem that the Grizzlies will play either the Clippers or Spurs in the first round, unless they some how regain the #2 spot.

Oh yeah, forgot about the division winner part.  So much for that scenairo unless we slip to 6th and portland gets 3rd which i doubt.   The 4/5 seed likely gets golden state 2nd round.  Anyway you look at it, it's going to be 4 tough series to win from the west side of the nba. 

If spurs can finish off the rockets tonight, grizz will go back to 2nd seed.  Grizz are 9-7 in the southwest division.  Houston would be 7-7.  Grizz would still have to win nearly every game left.

Right now, 4 teams are tied at 53 wins, with the Grizz sitting on top, but probably the toughest schedule remaining.

Clips and Spurs have played one more game than the Rockets and Grizzlies.

Will be a bonus if the Warriors beat Portland tomorrow, that'll be enough to stop worryin bout them. Whatever happens its gonna be a crazy last week.

Yeah, that is a big hit for the rockets.  Tonight's gift by the spurs and the well earned victory tonight in a division game has given the grizz one more chance to get it right and win the division.   Grizz control their own destiny.   Could be golden state is sitting players when we face them.  Go 4-0 and it don't matter what the other teams do.

The spurs own tiebreaker over grizz.  Grizz swept portland but portland wins tiebreaker if grizz don't win southwest division.  One more conference win by grizz or houston conference loss means grizz own tiebreaker over houston (31-18 conference).  Grizz are 2-1 vs clippers with one more game.  Both teams are 34-15 in the conference which is next tiebreaker.  Grizz, houston, and clippers all have 3 conference games left.

the spurs don't own the tiebreaker against the grizzlies. the grizzlies split the season series and the grizzlies own the better division record. Even if the spurs win the next two games against houston and pelicans to get a tie in division standing with the grizzlies, the grizzlies have a better conference record.

You're right.   I knew if i was wrong on that post, someone was gonna correct me.  Thanks.  I feel much better knowing we own the tiebreaker since they can't catch us on the conference record.