Sign in to follow this  
realgfan

Spurs Victory Bitter Sweet

I would take a win over San Antonio anyway we can get it but with San Antonio being down 3 known grizz killers in Parker, Leonard, and Mills makes me kinda questions could we beat this team at full strength. I also know that TA didn't play but it took us 3 overtimes including a miracle shot by Marc to win that game and it seems as if this could be used as more mind games for coach pop to play against us, we did play our hearts out and barely beat a team down 2 starters and big contributor off the bench. I just hope this was finally the confidence boost needed to beat San Antonio potentially in a 7 game series and not the opposite.

I would take a win over San Antonio anyway we can get it but with San Antonio being down 3 known grizz killers in Parker, Leonard, and Mills makes me kinda questions could we beat this team at full strength. I also know that TA didn't play but it took us 3 overtimes including a miracle shot by Marc to win that game and it seems as if this could be used as more mind games for coach pop to play against us, we did play our hearts out and barely beat a team down 2 starters and big contributor off the bench. I just hope this was finally the confidence boost needed to beat San Antonio potentially in a 7 game series and not the opposite.

If MEM continues to give up 15-20 made 3 pt shots by the Spurs, you are right, they wont be able to beat them. But lets be real, if SA shoots that way, they will beat anybody.

Also, I noticed that there were 27 fouls called on MEM in the game yet only 16 fouls were called on SA. Thats 16 fouls over 63 mins of game time. My point is that the Spurs are NBA royalty and the refs love them. If there is a 50-50 call, most likely SA will get the benefit of the doubt. They have built up this reputation over the years and any team who beats them will have to overcome that caveat as well.

To your point, unfortunately if SA is healthy AND they can shoot in the mid 50% from 3 point range, they will win the NBA championship again. The way I look at it is this: If SA shoots 30 3 pointers in a game and makes 15 of them, that is 45 points generated by those shots. To generate 45 pts from 30 2 pt shots, SA would have to shoot 22 of 30 or 73% and nobody is going to beat a team night in and night out that shoots 73% from the field.

This is why MEM has lost 15 of the last 18 against SA. MEM, up until the other night, didnt want to shoot 3s hardly at all or didnt have anyone who could shoot them. So MEM was forced to combat 15 made 3 pointers with 2 pointers and its just not a winning proposition doing that. But now, MEM has a little more shooting to somewhat combat SA's 3 pointers. If SA makes 15 threes in a game but MEM makes 8 or 9 themselves, it takes the pressure to be almost perfect from 2 pt range away and that is what we saw against the Spurs the other night.

A win is a win. As long as we didn't lose someone to injury, I don't consider any win to be bittersweet during the regular season or playoffs. The Spurs have been beating teams all season with several of their key players out, so be happy that we were actually able to take advantage of it.

the win was sweet and sweet the game play was bitter sweet. they have to get better defending them cause I have a feel we will run into them in the playoffs.

We are still a work in progress in regards to battling SA, but coming out of that game with the win is psychologically empowering going forward. I think a loss could have been deflating somewhat. I think we are gathering momentum against them similar to how we first beat them in 2011, which at the time seemed to be an impossible scenario.

Let's not forget SAS hit a couple of "miracle shots" to stay in the game. An NBA classic for sure.

Also Pops is well known for not playing his key players so they are well rested when they play the Grizzlies. So I personally have no sympathy for them being shorthanded, it's part of the game.

All that matters is we won and they lost.

Go Grizz!!

Not only bittersweet, but it may give the false idea to the coaching staff, that ZBO is of any used when playing the spurs. He is really bad at closing the lanes when Gasol attacks the PNR, and also he doesn't have the foot speed or the length to bother 3 point shooters in close outs.

I would really like to see some Gasol, KK pairings against the SPURS. This year I would say both of them have been a lot faster at closing shooters than ZBO. And they have all that extra length.

And I have no clue why in the world our wings keep on trying to help the interior players. It was good that TA was not on this game.

Nothing bittersweet for me. They rest players specifically to be at their best for us.

Additionally, I went to a Raptors boards, searched and couldn't find a threat like this after their win over us.

Seriously though, a win is a win & I'll take them any way we can get them. ;)

Not only bittersweet, but it may give the false idea to the coaching staff, that ZBO is of any used when playing the spurs. He is really bad at closing the lanes when Gasol attacks the PNR, and also he doesn't have the foot speed or the length to bother 3 point shooters in close outs. I would really like to see some Gasol, KK pairings against the SPURS. This year I would say both of them have been a lot faster at closing shooters than ZBO. And they have all that extra length. And I have no clue why in the world our wings keep on trying to help the interior players. It was good that TA was not on this game.

Because our wings don't have the foot speed or the length to bother 3 point shooters in closeouts?

Maybe they know Gasol can't handle Duncan by himself and they have to help him to make sure that he doesn't get easy baskets in the lane.

Because our wings don't have the foot speed or the length to bother 3 point shooters in closeouts?

Maybe they know Gasol can't handle Duncan by himself and they have to help him to make sure that he doesn't get easy baskets in the lane.

It's like Brevin constantly says, let the DPOY handle Duncan. Let them beat us with 2's instead of 3's.

We won no matter what, end of story. You could say we were missing one of our starters as well, plus Tayshaun didn't play and it was the worse end of a back-to-back. So get all that bologna outa here.

We won no matter what, end of story. You could say we were missing one of our starters as well, plus Tayshaun didn't play and it was the worse end of a back-to-back. So get all that bologna outa here.

But I like Bologna.

The games lost while Gasol was out last season? Can those all be claimed as wins now? What about when Conley was hurt? Z-Bo?

Toronto didn't petition the NBA to postpone their game against us when we had five guys out with the flu plus could hardly make it to their arena because of a snow storm.

Well said everyone. Injuries are apart of the game - teams still have to play through them.

Officiating was inconsistent and we played through it. It's the NBA and there are no excuses.

Well said everyone. Injuries are apart of the game - teams still have to play through them. Officiating was inconsistent and we played through it. It's the NBA and there are no excuses.

I think it is a perception by Grizz fans (or maybe just me LOL) that most national NBA pundits are quick to note that certain players are injured when their teams play the Grizz YET when MEM has injured players, it seems as if no one really mentions it. For example, back in 2011 when Rudy Gay's shoulder was hurt in February and he was out the rest of the season, very seldom would you here the NBA pundits mention that OKC beat the "Rudy Gay-less Memphis Grizzlies" in the Western Conference semi finals.

However, a couple years ago, when MEM made it all the way to the West Conf Finals, EVERY time it was brought up, we Grizz fans had to hear that we beat a Westbrook-less Thunder team in the conf semis and we had to hear how Blake had turned an ankle or something in the 1st round series against the Clippers. It just seems to be an attempt to mentally put a * next to any MEM victory when the Grizz opponent has a player or players OUT.