Sign in to follow this  
Xerion

Cavs Reportedly Interested In Tayshaun Prince

With Prince's contract finally being an expiring, I don't see the need to trade him at all costs unless something nice is coming our way. Cap room next season will more valuable than other teams' trash.

There are many possibilities when a third team is involved, but not using the TPE. Players acquired with a TPE cannot be traded for two months if the second trade aggregates other players, and there is no way for CLE to trade for Prince without adding more players to the one acquired with Keith Bogans' TPE.

I'm jsutnsaying dumping prince for nothing isn't gonna happen at least not like that article says.has to be a bigger deal with other players or teams or whatever.

With Prince's contract finally being an expiring, I don't see the need to trade him at all costs unless something nice is coming our way. Cap room next season will more valuable than other teams' trash.

Completely agree. 20 games into the season with top record in the league probably isn't the best time to tweak roster. If anyone wants to throw us anything for Qpon -- sure. But TP is actually valuable because he embraced his role and is a large expiring for us.

I'm jsutnsaying dumping prince for nothing isn't gonna happen at least not like that article says.has to be a bigger deal with other players or teams or whatever.

Gotcha. Absolutely. The trade proposal as reported makes no sense.

Agree. We need his salary to come off the books next year so we can pay/keep Big Spain.

Tayshaun never really picked up his point production, but he has been helpful in developing the younger players. I would hate to lose Tayshaun, but he has been sitting on the bench. Plus, we now have Vince Carter for senior leadership. As for defense, I think the team is coming along as a whole in improving and I am not as concerned with defense on the SG position. Maybe Tayshaun will start shooting well at the Cavs and whoever we get will be productive for us, who knows.

Agree. We need his salary to come off the books next year so we can pay/keep Big Spain.
The projected luxury tax threshold for 2015/16 is 81 million. Grizzlies should be all set for keeping Marc without worrying about Princes salary, but they will need to do something to keep Conley the following year. If Cleveland wants to give up picks for Tay it could be well worth it down the road.

At this point, there is little value in doing anything that might help a team we could potentially face down the road in the postseason, unless it's a no-brainer improvement for us. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but this year, TP actually does serve a function, small though it may be.

Mix that with the ability to lose his salary after this season, and it would have to be a sweetheart deal for us to do it now. A year or two ago, do it in a heartbeat. But with this being his expiring year, it's very different.

And for those who have said we might re-sign him at a buck-oh-two for a year or so, well, that's hard to complain about also. As long as he brings stability to the locker room and we have the money and roster space, why not?

The only way, IMO, that we ship Prince to Clev is if we get our 1st pick back from there and take back no contract considerations past this season.

The most valuable thing Prince brings to the table is his expiring deal, with will help in resigning Marc.

Miller hoped to re-sign in Memphis after the season. “I thought I was going to finish my career there,” Miller said. “I really did. I was happy there. I wanted to play another three, four years, [and I] thought I could get that done in Memphis.” Instead, the Grizzlies pursued and signed Vince Carter in free agency, which essentially took away Miller’s roster spot.

http://grantland.com/features/everybody-loves-mike-miller-nba-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-memphis-grizzlies-orlando-magic-tracy-mcgrady/

05-stirthepot.gif

(^ that's an excellent piece on Mike Miller, by the way)

It's kind of like when you don't want your girlfriend but don't want her to get attention....I'll only give Tay up for some value back ...Cleveland doesn't have much to offer...the trade exception essentially gives him away but gives us cap room to swing a pretty nice deal or future flexibility ...Tay at least looks like the guy we traded for from Detroit this year...had been on a steady decline playing hurt

YO

Completely agree. 20 games into the season with top record in the league probably isn't the best time to tweak roster. If anyone wants to throw us anything for Qpon -- sure. But TP is actually valuable because he embraced his role and is a large expiring for us.

yep so that Tay"s expiring when wiped, can be used to max Marc. Without that, the Grizzlies FO May struggle to find the cap space to max Marc. So Tay has value but IMO, not like KBM says

I would only take a draft pick, his salery is worth more to us, we need cap space. I also think he is a good bench player, and should have played last game.

yep so that Tay"s expiring when wiped, can be used to max Marc. Without that, the Grizzlies FO May struggle to find the cap space to max Marc. So Tay has value but IMO, not like KBM says

Don't forget Bird Rights allow a team to go over the cap re-sign a player, so that won't matter. It's more about being able to sign someone else if necessary instead of relying a something like the MLE. But with that said even with maxing Marc they could still have a large amount of cap space left.

Don't forget Bird Rights allow a team to go over the cap re-sign a player, so that won't matter. It's more about being able to sign someone else if necessary instead of relying a something like the MLE. But with that said even with maxing Marc they could still have a large amount of cap space left.

Cap space isn't going to be a problem with the new tv deal in place. The main thing is to get these guys signed under the OLD cap numbers and not the new cap numbers.

Cap space isn't going to be a problem with the new tv deal in place. The main thing is to get these guys signed under the OLD cap numbers and not the new cap numbers.

I'm talking about the old numbers.

either way

Well yeah of course they want to make sure they can sign them no matter where the cap is. I will say that when I mentioned a possible large space I forgot about Zach's $10M. So even with maxing Marc they are right around the projected number. The number I'm using is the NBA's projection of $66M for next season. It's the season after where the new TV contracts kick in.

He's an asset to the team. It would be absurd to trade an asset for capspace when we're getting it anyway in six months. I doubt anyone will offer anything worth at least what he's contributing now, but hey, if it happens now we can negotiate harder.

i'm not so sure about prince being safe he almost got dealt to tor and his named popped up in that chase deal now it's coming up again . he also has value at this pint if used to help another team shed some long term salary but how much could we take on and still max gasol ?