Sign in to follow this  
Wells

Who Looks To Be The Fifteenth Man?

Fifteenth man  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Based upon their preseason performance, who looks like they could be on the roster after October 28?

• Patrick Christoper
    • Earl Clark
    • Kalin Lucas
    • Hassan Whitesides
    • None of the Above

Five games through preseason, and most of the training camp invitees have gotten a fair amount of burn. The Grizzlies have fourteen players under contract heading into the season (Conley, Calathes, Udrih, Lee, Alllen, Adams, Prince, Carter, Pondexter, Randolph, Leuer, Stokes, Gasol & Koufos) and the league maximum (barring injury exceptions) for the roster is fifteen. The maximum that can be on the active roster for any particular game is thirteen. Nick will be inactive through the first thirteen games with his suspension. So, any of the training camp invitees who make it past the first day of the season are likely to be in business suits for any games as well. Who do you think gets to play GQ at the end of the Grizzlies bench, if any, and why?

Cash considerations

LOL, while I agree with you, I will say the one person who I think the Grizzlies might consider is Patrick Christopher, as the designated three point bomber. He has shown he can fill that role, I believe.

I'd put my money on leaving that spot open, but if I had to pick one of the players it'd be Kalin Lucas. You can never have enough solid PG's on the roster. Well, that's not true. Fifteen would be too many. But you get what I'm saying.

I dunno why but I thought because Clark was a vet his salary would be guaranteed past training camp, but it only becomes guaranteed in January. So we can keep and pay him for the amount of games until the deadline then waive him and still be under the tax line. That sways me somewhat over to the Clark side lol.

If anyone gets it, It will be Clark.

I don't believe it will be Cash Considerations, but Flexi Bility is a definite possibility. Earl Clark may be the most experienced but we currently have three PFs and three SFs under contract and as he is a veteran his salary will be higher, so I don't foresee us hanging on to him. Patrick Christopher has potential as a shooter and his contract would be less, but we already have five guys under contract who can play the SG, so I don't expect us to retain his services either. The only possibility I really see is Kalin Lucas who might possibility be retained through the end of Nick Calathes' suspension at which point they may let him go before the deadline for non-guaranteed contracts to make way for Flexi Bility.

nbadraft.net compares Kalin Lucas to Avery Johnson. It is a stretch, but I just like the idea of that!

[insert list of God-awful nbadraft.net comparisons here]

They will leave it open and see who gets cut or waived (will bynum). Leaving it open for trade flexibility might be the beat bet.

I get a feeling we'll, once again, be calling on the unique talets of one "Flex-I-Bility".

Yeah, it isn't till playoff time that we need Mo Mentum.

LOL, while I agree with you, I will say the one person who I think the Grizzlies might consider is Patrick Christopher, as the designated three point bomber. He has shown he can fill that role, I believe.
Add me to the Patrick Christopher band wagon. If he makes the team, we will be P.C. correct.

Lame jokes aside, I do like what he has shown, but kind of think that they might want to have another ball handler available for the 13 games that Calathes won't be available. If Christopher can bring the ball up as well as shoot good, then he should be the guy we keep. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is a capable ball handler. 13 games with just Mike and Beno might be too long, but I guess they could work around it if they absolutely have to. I don't think Clark is worth his vet minimum salary for what he brings.

For those pushing Clark, I have to ask: what does he bring to the team not already covered by Jon Leuer, Jarnell Stokes, Tayshaun Prince and Vince Carter?

Much needed athleticism, simple as that. However, I didn't pick anyone in the poll. 15th spot will either be kept open or another player might be signed.

it will be left open until time for the playoff push

I just looked at basketball-reference and saw that the non guaranteed contract amounts for Clark and Whiteside are $915,243 each if they stick, which translates to no way in heck that the Grizzlies pay either of those guys that much. I think it's safe to say that they are out of the conversation.

Earl Clark has major strotential as a Lamar Odom Clone..and I have never believed in Leur...I still don't ..If he is consistent and knocks down 3s..I will gladly eat my words.. The front office showed they had plans for him with the long-term deal last summer so he is probably a lock for the rotation..

YO

The Grizzlies waived Earl Clark and Hassan Whiteside.