Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Real Talk Is It Fair To Bring Back Coach Joeger

I don't think it's fair to just compare win totals or playoff finish with last year when the team dealt with about 3 times for games missed due to injures than last year and also a conference that was noticeably improved from last year, neither of which were Joerger's fault.
It doesn't matter about games missed, the Grizzlies were healthy and in the playoffs, they lost 2 games at home. Wh o he played was definitely his fault.

I don't think the conference was improved this year at, the Grizz won 56 games last year, number 5 seed, didn't Portland and Houston both win 56 games? Denver won more last year than either of them. The Grizzlies may not even make the playoffs next year, I see NO improving and Denver making a comeback with Gallo back.

Joerger had his bumps and bruises, but I think overall he's shown the potential to be a really good coach. I hate the short leash we give coaches in this league. It takes a long time to build a culture -- more than a season -- in your image around a team. Combine that with the fact that coaches are far less significant than we want to admit, I think the stability factor becomes far underrated.

Besides, I want to see what Joerger can do with a group that can play the type of system he really wants to run.

Joerger should coach the trail blazers. That is a team with the type of pieces that he needs to be successful.

They have size at every position and potential two-way players also. They are also not a very deep team so playing only 8 or 9 guys is not controversial.

He could easily improve their defense with his schemes and tweak their offense too. All without fear of completely blowing rotations because their startin five is actually their best unit.

Sidenote I'm rooting for Portland now - I hate every team left in west. Also rooting for Was because they on paper are also what the Grizz would be if we had better SF and SG.

With a wise draft pick and getting a couple of serious free agents, this team can easily win at least 50 games again next year.

If Q-pon is healthy, Prince needs to move on.

Sidenote I'm rooting for Portland now - I hate every team left in west. Also rooting for Was because they on paper are also what the Grizz would be if we had better SF and SG.

I can get behind that. I don't really hate many teams remaining. I only really hate the Clippers when we play them. Sore about OKC so I'm rooting against them, and it's boring to see Miami to take it all again.

As bummed as I am about the Grizzlies being out of it, it's kind of fun to watch basketball objectively from time to time.

Personelwise, it was a much better team than ended last year. I'm one of those folks that believes a coach, even at the Pro level, needs to be an authority figure. Hollins was a good fit. He could be again.

It's not Dave's fault. Levien said earlier in the season that the benefits of the coaching change would come down the road. Imo, this season was sacrificed to that goal.

Some people apparently require that the coach always makes the same decisions as they would in every situation. To those people, every coach will be "bad" and every coach should be replaced.

Some people apparently require that the coach always makes the same decisions as they would in every situation. To those people, every coach will be "bad" and every coach should be replaced.

Lol thats true. Unless the coach does something outrageously horrific nitpicking at every substitution or when they called a timeout is pointless. Talent wins most of the time.

Dude is incompetent just like Hollins and Pastner. Keep making excuses for him. When he's gone he will stay unemployed, too.

Keep him. He still has lots to learn, but he is a rookie coach. I was honestly disappointed that he didn't do a little outside the box thinking, but in his defense, the entire year was a battle - due to injuries - just to make the playoffs. You can't experiment, because there is no margin for error; so stick to what has worked before. He probably felt as if his hands were tied the entire year. Now, if he keeps doing the same thing the next couple of years, I will change my tune.

I guess the FAIR question is if you owned the team would you bring him back? I mean he did win 50 games but that's expected out in the WEST. If you can't win 50, then most likely you out of the playoffs.

I guess the FAIR question is if you owned the team would you bring him back? I mean he did win 50 games but that's expected out in the WEST. If you can't win 50, then most likely you out of the playoffs.

It may be a fair question; but who you going to get cheaper that's going do any better than the job Joerger did, considering the circumstances he's had to deal with this 2013/2014 season.

He wasn't getting along with the front office. So, similar to Lionel Hollins, they let him go.

Yep you are 100% correct TheProof. It's kind of sad when you have a solid coach but they don't agree with the ownership.

What a stupid thread

Same question could be said about Z-Bo? Is it fair to bring him back at $16.9 million? or Extend him, I know he has a player option so he could essentially just say hey I opt in. So yes it's a fair topic and thread.

Is is fair to bring back coach DJ? I see the warriors didn't bring back Mark Jackson and they had a better record than the Grizzlies so wha's your point you trying to make Hatfieldms

Same question could be said about Z-Bo? Is it fair to bring him back at $16.9 million? or Extend him, I know he has a player option so he could essentially just say hey I opt in. So yes it's a fair topic and thread.

Is is fair to bring back coach DJ? I see the warriors didn't bring back Mark Jackson and they had a better record than the Grizzlies so wha's your point you trying to make Hatfieldms

With ZBO it is a legit question. With joeger he just won 50 games in his rookie season while dealing with a ton of injuries to key players. Hell yes you bring him back. No coach worth a **** would even consider this job if you fired Joeger after this season.

And with ZBO I would hope they bring him back, and think they will