Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MEMPHIS #1 ALL TIME FAN !

Rudy Who ?

He sure looks ready to start to me.

He was the 16th pick. He was only in DLeague because he was a knucklehead not because he was not talented. Tayshaun was drafted 23rd.

Johnson is a legit starter.

What I think is funny is how we haven't heard anything about Rudy lately on the Boards...

Or O J Mayo that much either.

Way. Too. Premature.

I have been saying to fam and friends that I think he is a poor man's Rudy that knows his role and just does that. Long, athletic, can pay either forward position, limited range but good enough to keep teams honest, and a natural ability to attack the rim.

he is by far no superstar but does have all the tools to be what te teams needs to play the 3 spot.

And he is cheap!

Weighs in at 257 lbs that's all muscle ma friends.

Yahoo NBA has him at 6'9" 248.

LBJ is 6'8" 250, Carmelo 6'8" 240.

Hmmm.

Way. Too. Premature. I have been saying to fam and friends that I think he is a poor man's Rudy that knows his role and just does that. Long, athletic, can pay either forward position, limited range but good enough to keep teams honest, and a natural ability to attack the rim. he is by far no superstar but does have all the tools to be what te teams needs to play the 3 spot. And he is cheap!
I guess if you have to pay 19M per year to get Rudy, then JJ may be a poor man's Rudy. However from what I have seen already this year, all he needs is a little more consistent shot and he can do just about anything that Rudy can.

I was at the game earlier this year when Rudy lit us up at FEF when he was with TOR so I know what he can do, but I was watching the Kings play the Spurs last night. The Kings led most all the game and it was late in the 4th qtr. They Spurs were making their run. The Kings had the ball. Rudy had it out at the 3 pt line with Kawai on him or maybe someone else. Everyone else was cleared out. It was ISO for Rudy time. Rudy bent down and started to size up his defender. He lunged to the right and took a dribble then wanted to cross over.......but.....clang off of his leg or the defenders leg the ball went deflecting back toward the sideline. Rudy ran back to retrieve it. By now the shot clock was under 5 seconds. He dribbled a couple times and flung up a 24 foot 3 pointer that missed horribly. I just smiled and realized I had seen that so many times before.

James Johnson can handle the ball better than Rudy can. He can probably out jump him or jump as high. Play James Johnson 38-40 mins a game and let him shoot the ball 20+ times and I think his production will equal Rudy's RIGHT NOW. Now would your team win if that happened??? I have no idea. But I dont look at Rudy as head and shoulders above James Johnson.

6'7" 257, 7ft wing, 8'9.5 reach. Rudy was 6'7" , 223, 7'3" wing, 8'11" reach, both predraft measurements barefooted. Rudy's longer, JJ is bigger body, pretty impressive on both parts.

I guess if you have to pay 19M per year to get Rudy, then JJ may be a poor man's Rudy. However from what I have seen already this year, all he needs is a little more consistent shot and he can do just about anything that Rudy can. I was at the game earlier this year when Rudy lit us up at FEF when he was with TOR so I know what he can do, but I was watching the Kings play the Spurs last night. The Kings led most all the game and it was late in the 4th qtr. They Spurs were making their run. The Kings had the ball. Rudy had it out at the 3 pt line with Kawai on him or maybe someone else. Everyone else was cleared out. It was ISO for Rudy time. Rudy bent down and started to size up his defender. He lunged to the right and took a dribble then wanted to cross over.......but.....clang off of his leg or the defenders leg the ball went deflecting back toward the sideline. Rudy ran back to retrieve it. By now the shot clock was under 5 seconds. He dribbled a couple times and flung up a 24 foot 3 pointer that missed horribly. I just smiled and realized I had seen that so many times before. James Johnson can handle the ball better than Rudy can. He can probably out jump him or jump as high. Play James Johnson 38-40 mins a game and let him shoot the ball 20+ times and I think his production will equal Rudy's RIGHT NOW. Now would your team win if that happened??? I have no idea. But I dont look at Rudy as head and shoulders above James Johnson.

Great points

The fact that JJ can handle the ball like a guard is huge. It is what allows him to be such an effective slasher.

He has also been extremely smart about his shot selection so far. I don't think he has even attempted a mid-range shot. Everything has been at the rim or behind the arc. Which is exactly what most of us wanted Rudy to do. Not saying we should but if we give him 15 shot attempts a game im pretty confident he would average almost 20ppg.

6'7" 257, 7ft wing, 8'9.5 reach. Rudy was 6'7" , 223, 7'3" wing, 8'11" reach, both predraft measurements barefooted. Rudy's longer, JJ is bigger body, pretty impressive on both parts.
Wow, I really thought JJohnson was taller than 6-7. But it is was it is. He just looks bigger and taller now.

Although, Mr Rudy has put on some lbs since leaving MEM. He looks stronger/thicker instead of long and lean. JJ looks thick. His legs/calves look stronger.

I guess the FO has found their replacement for Rudy and he costs about 18.3 M less per year. LOL

I seriously think Johnson is better than Rudy. Not just the contracts. I think he gets to the rim better, can dribble better, slash better and possibly even shoot better. Like others have mentioned if he got Rudy's minutes and shots per game I am confident he would out perform him in almost every stat category.

plus I have NOT seen him shrug his shoulders or quit on a play or just stand around, not once.

So let me get this Right a guy comes and plays less than 20 games and is now better than a guy who averaged 20 a game and lead this team the year Zbo went down.

This thread is str8 ignorance. But I'll probably have people telling me im wrong in about 5 mins though.

So let me get this Right a guy comes and plays less than 20 games and is now better than a guy who averaged 20 a game and lead this team the year Zbo went down. This thread is str8 ignorance. But I'll probably have people telling me im wrong in about 5 mins though.

short answer: yes

long answer: yeppie

So let me get this Right a guy comes and plays less than 20 games and is now better than a guy who averaged 20 a game and lead this team the year Zbo went down. This thread is str8 ignorance. But I'll probably have people telling me im wrong in about 5 mins though.
. Its just an opinion, but not only yes, but he!! yes.

JJohnson had 14 pts, 7 boards (3 off, 4 def), 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 block in 23 mins the other night against DEN. And this is just his 4th game with the team. He had a +15 +/- rating. He guarded James Harden against HOU and at 6-8,6-9 and 257 lbs, he stayed with him. Even the defensive grindfather TA couldnt stop Harden's referee aided parade to the free throw line.

You act like this guy was never in the NBA and is just scrub. He was the 16 th pick overall by CHI. He has a ton of talent. His attitude has been his only problem.

For the money, he is lightyears better than Rudy. We all watched Rudy for 7 years. We know what he can and cannot do. Hey, its just an opinion, but based on what I have seen so far, JJ could be much better than Rudy. He might not find an owner scared enough to offer him a max deal like MHeis did, but if you dont think JJ could average 20 pts a game with Zach out of the lineup just like your boy Rudy did, well, I got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

He can handle the ball much better than Rudy. Doesnt take 7 years to be able to see that. I said that Rudy's shot is more consistent. Havent seen JJ make a lot of turn around fade away jumpers from the baseline like Rudy could make over and over.

But I wont call you ignorant just because you dont agree with me. Rudy is a fine player. He really is. I dont think he is going to get much better though. JJ, on the other hand, has a ton of upside potential.