Sign in to follow this  

I'll give that Peyton is the best student of football out there. He's dedication to his craft is unmatched, something he learned at his father's knee. He has watched the films on every great quarterback to learn any trick he can use to improve his game. But I have to say the best field general of all time still goes to Bart Starr. He has to be the best on field tactician based upon his performance. There is a difference between tactics and strategy. Strategy is what you plan on doing before the battle to win. Tactics is what you do in order to win once the battle has been joined and the opposition has destroyed your best laid plans. Starr played in the era before instant feedback from the television let you know what the defense was doing. Payton, Montana, Elway, Bradshaw, Staubach, they all have had the ability to see images of the defenses that were being played against them as the game developed. Starr was the top quarterback of the era where you had to figure it out on the fly yourself.
Johnny Unitas

Johnny Unitas
+1

Unitas played 18 seasons and won four championships and four MVPs. Starr only had one MVP, but won seven championships in fifteen seasons. Starr had a higher completion percentage and quarterback rating. Starr was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. In the lone Colts Super Bowl victory, Unitas was injured and his backup led the team to victory.

To give a more modern comparison, Unitas was similar to Elway, while Starr was similar to Montana.

Unitas played 18 seasons and won four championships and four MVPs. Starr only had one MVP, but won seven championships in fifteen seasons. Starr had a higher completion percentage and quarterback rating. Starr was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. In the lone Colts Super Bowl victory, Unitas was injured and his backup led the team to victory. To give a more modern comparison, Unitas was similar to Elway, while Starr was similar to Montana.

Please don't mention Johnny Unitas' name in the same sentence with that whiny punk John "Steve Francis" Elway who refused to sign with the Baltimore Colts after they drafted him and forced a trade to Denver.

I like Starr, I like Montana. Starr had a more complete team around him. It helps to have two All-Pro guards like Thurston and Kramer leading Jim Taylor who was second all time behind Jim Brown in career running yardage when he retired.

In the spirit of well wishing and all, good luck to DeAngelo Williams this weekend...

but GO NINERS!

20130122-QUESTFORSIX.jpg

I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago when they gave it to the Chiefs in OT ... add the W they got last week .. PLUS the way they manhandled Manning a few weeks ago ... don't sleep on the BOLTS !

Peyton gonna be throwin' the ball all day long. Sorry, Toke, but Rivers might as well stock up on some toke while he's in Denver because Manning is on a mission.

I think they have that good good in San Dog too ... True story -> I sat right behind a guy that had the bolts logo tattooed on BOTH sides of his head - just like the helmet !

I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago when they gave it to the Chiefs in OT ... add the W they got last week .. PLUS the way they manhandled Manning a few weeks ago ... don't sleep on the BOLTS !

im thinking this game goes over....for those who like to lay a wager on occasion..

slim.

im thinking this game goes over....for those who like to lay a wager on occasion..

slim.

I'm listening

here we go chargers !!!

Sorry about what your team had to receive, Toke. Peyton going for vindication!

Niners are in the conference finals again! Way to go Niners!

sorry 901..

i meant that game was going under!

slim.

Haha I agreed with you but I didnt get a chance to put money on it. No worries.

Loving my Niners leading at halftime but very concerned about losing that offensive lineman. Niners will need to find a way to hold off Seattle's excellent defense for 30 more minutes to escape with a win.

Can anyone explain why SF got a personal foul for a dangerous hit on a ricochet play but Seattle didn't for the high hit against the Niners punt returner who was standing still, got hit around the neck, had his face mask grabbed and ripped off his head?

I feel sorry for Bowman of the Niners. Please let him have a speedy recovery.

Congrats to the Seahawks and their fans but after hearing Manning's post game comments and Sherman's I know who I'll be pulling for in the Super Bowl.

Congrats to the Seahawks and their fans but after hearing Manning's post game comments and Sherman's I know who I'll be pulling for in the Super Bowl.

I missed the Broncos game what were Mannings comments?