Sign in to follow this  

What if you're Shaq or Dwight Howard? :P

Point taken B) ....... Or only one point made out of every two tries :P

blast from the not so distant past ... I ususally stick to the Ghetto Boys but my manin man 3 K has been in my head all week ...

Got stopped at the mall the other day

Heard a call from the other way

that I just came from, some'body' was sayin somethin

talkin bout "Hey man ... you remember me from school?" smoke some

Naw not really

but he kept smilin like a clown ... facial expression lookin silly

And he kept askin me, "what kind of car you drive, I know you paid

I know y'all got buku with holds from all them songs that y'all done made"

And I replied that I had been goin through tha same thing that he had

True - I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week,

I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

Yes we done come a long way like them Slim uhmm cigarettes

from Virginia, this ain't gon stop so we just gonna continue

ahh, tok. i don't even know the language you speak.

im more of a blues type of guy..

muddy waters- 'she start a story that don't have no end. she 19 yrs old people, she got ways just like a baby child. aint nothing i can do to please this woman, to keep her satisfied.

or freddie king's 'rather be blind than to see you go..'

or albert king's- 'fell in love in the food stamp line...'

little snap shot of muddy for your viewing pleasure...

waters.jpg

slim.

I can definately get with you on those Slim ...

Actually ... the way the Nutzhouse has been lately ... I'm feelin' mo Bobby BLUE Bland and BB King

Tha Thrill Is Gone ;)

The Great Conference Wars 2010.

Looks like Boise State is considering moving to the Mountain West, but more importantly, the Pac-10 is looking to raid the Big 12 for SIX schools to make a superconference - Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.

This seemingly in response to the Big 10 looking to expand and the SEC at least casually thinking about it.

Everybody's been waiting for expansion to open a door for Memphis into the BCS, but Nebraska and Mizzou have been rumored as Big 10 targets, and it's possible Kansas would come begging to be let in, considering what would be left of the Big 12.

So instead of creating an opportunity for Memphis, it might be shutting out Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor instead, effectively killing the Big 12.

As crazy as it would seem, moving to the MWC hoping to force their way into the BCS may be the best bet if the Big 12 were eradicated. The MWC is the only non-BCS conference with any hope of doing so.

Looks like Boise State is considering moving to the Mountain West, but more importantly, the Pac-10 is looking to raid the Big 12 for SIX schools to make a superconference - Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State.

This seemingly in response to the Big 10 looking to expand and the SEC at least casually thinking about it.

Everybody's been waiting for expansion to open a door for Memphis into the BCS, but Nebraska and Mizzou have been rumored as Big 10 targets, and it's possible Kansas would come begging to be let in, considering what would be left of the Big 12.

So instead of creating an opportunity for Memphis, it might be shutting out Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor instead, effectively killing the Big 12.

As crazy as it would seem, moving to the MWC hoping to force their way into the BCS may be the best bet if the Big 12 were eradicated. The MWC is the only non-BCS conference with any hope of doing so.

The expansion talk of late has gotten out of hand...I've been looking at it from a perspective of more of how it would affect the SEC. Not unwisely, a lot of people argue that adding Texas (and probably A&M in some sort of package deal) would make the most sense for the SEC...my qualm about the "Pac-16" would be that it wouldn't make sense geographically anymore. Although it's all about money, I prefer the conferences stick to their geographic boundaries of sorts...

The expansion talk of late has gotten out of hand...I've been looking at it from a perspective of more of how it would affect the SEC. Not unwisely, a lot of people argue that adding Texas (and probably A&M in some sort of package deal) would make the most sense for the SEC...my qualm about the "Pac-16" would be that it wouldn't make sense geographically anymore. Although it's all about money, I prefer the conferences stick to their geographic boundaries of sorts...

I feel the same way about the geographic boundaries. Conferences that try to stretch too far (see C-USA) can't create the same rivalries. That's probably a bad example, considering how long the BCS conferences have been around.

I hate that for Memphis, though, because the only place they fit - the SEC - is one place that will never be invited to.

This is all rumor and conjecture and I rarely trust the media on stuff like this. This is just wild speculation assuming that everyone is trying to do what the Big 10 has done with their tv package. Since TX has 2 of the largest markets in the U.S, the Pac-10 could add those 2 markets to the Cali and PHX markets.

Texas is the lynchpin of the Big 12, if they leave, the Big 12 is in trouble. I really don't think Missouri and Nebraska going to the Big 10 would hurt the Big 12, they could replace them with 2 teams or expand up to 16 with no problem. I would love for that to happen and have Memphis included but they are more worried about football than basketball so I doubt if Memphis would be included. The Pac-10 stuff would eliminate the Big 12 altogether but I doubt if it will happen. It just doesn't sound right to me. I guess the Big 12 has given an ultimatum to Nebraska and Mizzou but I don't think either brings much. Nebraska is living on past glory and Mizzou may have a couple of good runs here and there, but are not a power nor elite in neither football nor basketball.

It looks like the Big 10, SEC and Pac-10 are the dominant conferences and will feast upon others, while the Big 12 and Big East are highly vulnerable. The ACC is probably just as vulnerable but I could see an alliance happening between the ACC and the Big East to stay relevant. If Texas leaves, the Big 12 is over. If they stay, they basically have their own conference as they do now, they just have to figure out a way to increase tv revenue.

This is all rumor and conjecture and I rarely trust the media on stuff like this. This is just wild speculation assuming that everyone is trying to do what the Big 10 has done with their tv package. Since TX has 2 of the largest markets in the U.S, the Pac-10 could add those 2 markets to the Cali and PHX markets.

Texas is the lynchpin of the Big 12, if they leave, the Big 12 is in trouble. I really don't think Missouri and Nebraska going to the Big 10 would hurt the Big 12, they could replace them with 2 teams or expand up to 16 with no problem. I would love for that to happen and have Memphis included but they are more worried about football than basketball so I doubt if Memphis would be included. The Pac-10 stuff would eliminate the Big 12 altogether but I doubt if it will happen. It just doesn't sound right to me. I guess the Big 12 has given an ultimatum to Nebraska and Mizzou but I don't think either brings much. Nebraska is living on past glory and Mizzou may have a couple of good runs here and there, but are not a power nor elite in neither football nor basketball.

It looks like the Big 10, SEC and Pac-10 are the dominant conferences and will feast upon others, while the Big 12 and Big East are highly vulnerable. The ACC is probably just as vulnerable but I could see an alliance happening between the ACC and the Big East to stay relevant. If Texas leaves, the Big 12 is over. If they stay, they basically have their own conference as they do now, they just have to figure out a way to increase tv revenue.

That indeed is what this is really about - TV revenue. Which is why I think you won't see them invite all 6.

I have no way of knowing this, but I would bet that these six are on the list and the Pac-10 has an expansion # in mind and they are trying to figure the right two to invite.

Colorado has wanted in the Pac-10 for the longest. I'm willing to bet what will happen is you'll see Texas and Colorado get the invites. Twelve teams is enough to get what they want; a championship game and a bigger TV deal. Those are the two largest markets in the Big 12.

The Big-12 has some decisions to make. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, two teams bolt for the Pac-10 and one bolts for the Big 10. Three teams to replace. Houston is a natural. I don't see Tulsa being invited, with two Oklahoma schools already in the mix. After that, Memphis does become an attractive alternative for the Big-12, in terms of market size. Then I could see them robbing the MWC for either BYU or Utah.

I have said for years the Big-12 was our best bet for getting in. So I hope enough of the Big 12 remains intact to keep it viable. It should be at least as relevant as the Big East, probably more so. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or Missouri, Kansas State, Oklahoma State....that's still a pretty good group with lots of tradition.

It just so happens while I was driving around today I heard the guy who started all o fthis on the radio. His name is Chip Brown and he writes for OrangeBloods.com He just posted a new article but he had some interesting things to say:

-The Big 12 had an opportunity a couple of years ago to get their own channel a la the Big 10 but Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska shot it down because they thought they could eventually get their own tv deal like Notre Dame while in the Big 12

-Texas and Nebraska are at odds big time mainly because Texas convinced the Big 12 to not allow partial qualifiers. Nebraska used to stack their roster with partial qualifiers and really hasn't been teh same since joining the Big 12 with that rule.

-Texas isn't interested in joining the SEC because they don't think it is a good cultural fit(mainly academics and allowing partial qualifiers)

-The Big 10 was most interested in having Texas and Notre Dame join. That was the original plan but Texas isn't interested because they think they would be at a disadvantage logistically and would have to travel too much. The back up plan is Mizzou and Nebraska (possibly Colorado but they want to join the Pac 10). Nebraska and Mizzou have an ultimatum from the Big 12 to make a decision by Friday on if they want to be in the Big 12.

-Texas A&M and i think Oklahoma(I may have the wrong team) would be interested in joining the SEC but they won't leave if Mizzou and Nebraska stay.

He was also speculating on 4 super conferences with 16 teams with the ACC and Big East combining and talking about a national championship in football and these conferences possibly breaking away from the NCAA. I just don't see it.

Also, if there are 4 super conferences, I have to say I just don't see Memphis being in the mix with any of them. You would have one west coast conference, one east coast conference, and 2 conferences in the middle(Midwest, Southeast) The SEC would never allow Memphis in and there's no chance Memphis gets into the Big 10 and the other 2 would not make any geographical sense as I think the Big East/ACC combo would be heavily concentrated on the east coast. Football makes way more money than any sport and the only thing Memphis brings to the table is men's basketball. If there are only 4, I think Memphis will be left out. If there are 5, say the Big 12 stays around, then Memphis has a shot.

I've speculated the BCS would eventually break away from the NCAA, but that would take too much coordination between conferences to make a move to four 16 team conferences.

But....

I could see such a move made independently, with four networks signing their own deal with each of those 4 superconferences - ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX - with ESPN getting a shot at all of them plus what's left over from the remaining conferences. I know ABC owns ESPN, but I could see that happening.

It's going to be fascinating, it's like a game of draw, and everyone's looking to see who will blink first.

I think its been a story with no legs, other than football bloggers in the summer with too little to write about. The SEC has no interest in expanding. I have a good friend who works in the AD here at Ole Miss and they tell me that expansion is just a joke and not be taken serious by anyone around the SEC. The commish's and AD's wont come and say its BC b/c they have to be so PC about everything, but seriously, there is not THAT much more money to be made.

A conference like the SEC already has a perfect setup. Short of adding some power teams like Texas or Oklahoma from the Big 12, or FSU/Miami/Ga. Tech from the ACC why would the SEC be interested in adding some second tier teams like Texas A&M and Mizzou? All it will do is dillute their payouts come years end. No way the current teams would allow the addition of teams like that.

Like I said, this all started b/c the Big Ten(11) wants to add one team, which is likely to happen, all this drastic super realignment will never happen.

I think its been a story with no legs, other than football bloggers in the summer with too little to write about. The SEC has no interest in expanding. I have a good friend who works in the AD here at Ole Miss and they tell me that expansion is just a joke and not be taken serious by anyone around the SEC. The commish's and AD's wont come and say its BC b/c they have to be so PC about everything, but seriously, there is not THAT much more money to be made.

A conference like the SEC already has a perfect setup. Short of adding some power teams like Texas or Oklahoma from the Big 12, or FSU/Miami/Ga. Tech from the ACC why would the SEC be interested in adding some second tier teams like Texas A&M and Mizzou? All it will do is dillute their payouts come years end. No way the current teams would allow the addition of teams like that.

Like I said, this all started b/c the Big Ten(11) wants to add one team, which is likely to happen, all this drastic super realignment will never happen.

I pretty much agree with this. I think at the end of the day it will be much ado about nothing. I think Texas will finagle a tv deal whether on its own or through the Big 12 which will keep all of those teams in the Big 12.

Wow this happened quickly and I didn't really think it would happen.

If Texas goes to the Pac-10 as expected, Memphis is SOL. Its only hope to be a part of the party will be the Big East and there's no guarantee the Big East will take them or even be around. There's going to be four superconferences of 16 teams-the Pac-10 on the West Coast, SEC in the South, Big 10 in the Midwest, and some combo of the ACC/big East on the East coast. I can see those 64 teams breaking away from the NCAA in about 5 years or so after the conferences have been formed. I can't see 5 . superconfernces, but if there are 5 I could see Memphis getting in. If it's only 4, I think Memphis will be on the outside looking in.

Wow this happened quickly and I didn't really think it would happen.

If Texas goes to the Pac-10 as expected, Memphis is SOL. Its only hope to be a part of the party will be the Big East and there's no guarantee the Big East will take them or even be around. There's going to be four superconferences of 16 teams-the Pac-10 on the West Coast, SEC in the South, Big 10 in the Midwest, and some combo of the ACC/big East on the East coast. I can see those 64 teams breaking away from the NCAA in about 5 years or so after the conferences have been formed. I can't see 5 . superconfernces, but if there are 5 I could see Memphis getting in. If it's only 4, I think Memphis will be on the outside looking in.

It's going to be interesting to see this unfold over the next couple of days...any ideas on who the SEC will try to pick up? A friend and I were discussing it, and we came to a consensus on trying to grab Virginia Tech, since the SEC isn't really present around there. Otherwise, the SEC is a bit of a crapshoot...teams like Clemson and Georgia Tech add no real value to the conference other than competition, since the SEC is very well established in Georgia and South Carolina...

I feel bad for Memphis though. I agree in that the Big East is probably their best shot thanks to its basketball focus, but I get the feeling it'll be left out of the discussion if the ACC and Big East decided to make a superconference.

Picked this little conspiracy theory from another board:

OK,C&P from a ND board written by a Northwestern guy on the whole conspiracy plan to squeeze ND into the BTN.

Though this is only my interpretation of what PBC has laid out here is my summary of the events thus far, and what lays ahead (italicized).

Bringing Texas home:

1. UT and B10 have eyes for each other from the start.

2. April 18th, AAU conference - many side meetings occur on expansion including discussions with Nebraska, UT, Mizzou, Rutgers at least.

3. April 20th - email between Gordon Gee and Delany, discussing need to call Bill Powers to discuss Tech problem.

4. Leaks that Mizzou and Nebraska are heading to the B10

5. Texas arranges with Larry Scott Texas 6 to Pac 16 proposal and delivers ultimatum to Nebraska and Mizzou. Reported by Chip Brown as a way to force NEB and Mizzou back into the fold and save the Big 12, and also shows that Texas is prepared to take care of her little sisters

6. TX legislature and TX talk about substituting Baylor for CU. Again, looks like TX is being the repsponsible one.

7. CU, who has been coveted by the PacX all along, accepts invite to join the Pac-10. Kills Texas schools staying together.

8. NEB accepts B10 offer to join, calling TX bluff. TX looks like it was the failed hero who tried to save the Big 12.

9. Texas 6 fails to move to PacX as Chip Brown reported they would if Nebraska called the offer.

10. Rumors that SEC is courting TAMU and OU (not rumors, true).

11. Texas claiming they did everything they could to save Big 12, but it's failed. Starts talks with TAMU (reported by Chip Brown to discuss whether to continue with the Big 12 or to go to the PacX). Baylor and Tech NOT included.

12. KC station reports Texas and TAMU petitioning to join the Big 10. Actually, TAMU still considering SEC to break away from big brother.

13. Texas would rather TAMU stays together, but OTOH, TAMU going to SEC on it's own first, gives UT all it needs to ditch other little sisters, to look after own interests and go to the B10 alone. Alternatively, Texas will appease Governor of TX requirement by "brokering" a deal preset months ago to get TAMU and TX into the Big 10. Either way, they will get 4X the TV money they get in the B12, 2X what they would get in the PacX, and CIC affilaition which could net increases of hundreds of millions in federal research funding if Penn State's experience after joining the B10 is any indication. They happen also to play in a conference with the top 5 winningest programs in the history of the game (if ND also joins) and they rid themselves of any affilation with non-AAU schools that have disgusted them since the SWC days.

14. PacX picks off the best wounded remaining from the Big 12, including Kansas (and probably Kansas State). They also get a network deal brokered by Delany with Fox (who runs the B10 network).

15. PacX network and BTN are bundled to land in basic cable carriage across a MASSIVE footprint stretching from the Pacific to at least Pennsylvania, Canada to Mexico. PacX gets lower cut of royalties, but both parties get upside they couldn't have gotten alone. Rose Bowl is truly the Granddaddy of them all.

The Campaign for Notre Dame:

1. Lots of hints that B10 will go after BE schools. Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers named as high potential candidates

2. JoePa and others talking about how they want to go East

3. Randy Edsall says they need to give ND an ultimatum

4. Rumors of Rutgers and other BE schools on verge of getting an invite.

5. Somewhere, Delany and Tranghese talk. Delany cuts a deal - at some point, BE needs to push ND away, in return B10 will not raid the rest of the BE and leave it intact

5. B10 is courting ND, setting the stage. Texas gets involved, and the schools develop a warm relationship. ND private jet is sighted in Austin. There is talk about creating a super conference with TX and ND set up as protected rivals, adding an annual marquis non-Midwest conference matchup in important recruiting country. ND talks about multiple conditions, including sufficient OOC scheduling to maintain a national schedule.

6. B10 makes it clear that championship game will not be pursued. Instead current rotation model will continue all teams will get 13th game - this gives more BTN programming (and ad $$$s) but also helps to address ND's desire for 5 OOC games.

7. June 10, ND and BE rumored to be in discussions on forcing ND to choose football membership in the BE or get the #### out (sweetheart deal with BE taken off the table as planned)

8. Chip Brown still reporting that Texas 5 (without possibly TAMU) are heading to the PacX. And that this could result in 4 mega-conferences with champions playing a playoff for the national title (meaning ND would be locked out). Well done Chip. Will the Irish blink and pull the trigger?

9. At some point UT makes it clear their intention (to ND, not necessarily to the public). With Nebraska and Texas in the fold, BE no longer offering the sweetheart deal, all of a sudden, the new Big 10, with the other 4 Top 5 winningest programs in college football in line, looks really good and slightly less regional. Plus, there is the CIC that delivers academic prestige and research money as a bonus (which ND faculty have overwhemingly been craving). If they pull the trigger now, the Big10 stands pat at 14 schools (15 if TAMU comes).

10. If ND balks still, the deal with the BE is off. B10 will take Rutgers to access the NYC DMA and either one other BE or ACC school and put more pressure on the Big East to crumble (if an ACC school, ACC will likely raid BE (bye bye Syracuse) to replace, pushing ND again towards the B10.

11. With B10 at 15 schools, and all other conferences moving to 16 school mega-conferences (ACC will be raided by SEC for Va Tech at least, possibly up to 2 others (OU will have already joined), and subsequently the remaining ACC schools ravage/merge with the remainder of the Big East), ND is on the verge of being left out of the national championship (champions of each conference are the semi-finalists). They have no choice but to join a conference, and there is no question who is the belle of the ball.

Seems like the big boys of college football are trying to force Notre Dame into a conference, so the super conferences can close the door on the little boys of college football and keep all the cake to themselves.

Seems Memphis might be trying to buy their way into a major conference, courtesy of Fed-Ex:

Yahoo Sports Blog - Fedex Chief Offers Millions

FedEx makes denial today.

And really, they were our only shot.

If there's a realistic chance that the University of Kansas, with it's Basketball tradition, is in danger of being left on the outside looking in, what more can Memphis possibly offer? Memphis fans need to brace themselves.

Today's denial is just more proof that RC Johnson talks a lot, but in actuality does little. I'd love to see what he's actually done to move us into BCS talks. Everything the man has "accomplished" has been handed to him on a silver platter.

Everything the man has "accomplished" has been handed to him on a silver platter.

next thing on a platter needs to be R.C. Johnson's head