Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomas

Grizzlies Give Hollins Permission To Interview With Other Teams

From ESPN: Please do your research before you assume someone just made something up. Joerger was in charge of constructing the defense. That is a FACT not an opinion or a theory,

my contention was you acting like hollins had nothing to do with the defense- like he had no input,

Rick Carlisle is widely considered one of the best coaches in the NBA. He got fired by the Detroit Pistons in 2003 after getting the team to the ECF! He got fired because he did not get along with the FO, not because he was a bad coach. Next year, they hire Larry Brown, and win a frickin' championship. My point is not that Carlisle/Brown are like Hollins/Joerger. My point is THAT FO's DO THIS ALL THE TIME AND ARE STILL SUCCESSFUL. Get a clue, dude.
Yeah, except look at your post. They fired Carlisle and hired Larry HOF Brown. You're talking about David Joerger not Larry HOF Brown.

Where is the link that they hired Joerger? These brainstormers in the front office probably have their own guy in mind and probably have since before they bought the team. Who knows? It might be their old buddy who coaches high school basketball.

Here are some more sources to the Joerger/defensive strategy if anyone still thinks I'm making it up:

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2012/5/16/3024781/charlotte-bobcats-to-interview-memphis-grizzlies-assistant-dave

Joerger, who has spent 5 seasons with the Grizzlies, has essentially been given a majority of the credit for being our defensive architect, having spent time as our defensive coordinator, prior to being named the head assistant coach. It would certainly be a tough loss for the Grizzlies, but it's a well-deserved opportunity for a talent like Joerger.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58696/memphis-grizzlies-the-cable-drama

The Grizzlies' lead assistant and defensive coordinator has a sterling track record as a minor league head coach, but the top bullet-point on his résumé is the work he's done constructing the league's No. 2 defense.

my contention was you acting like hollins had nothing to do with the defense- like he had no input,

Alright, well let me rephrase: I believe Joerger deserves a significantly higher amount of credit than Hollins in regards to the defense given he was in charge of that particular aspect of the game plan.

I only wish the FO would have let Lh go at the deadline.

I doubt they ever wanted LH back.

Joerger or whomever could have had half season to learn the ropes.

They should have traded zbo if they want him gone anyways.

We could have improved this year with extra cap space.

We would likely have two large tpe.

Why prolong things ,get them done and move on

i stand corrected. I appreciate you backing it up with links and quotes.

suddenly i like joerger as our next coach.

Alright, well let me rephrase: I believe Joerger deserves a significantly higher amount of credit than Hollins in regards to the defense given he was in charge of that particular aspect of the game plan.

your last post was good enough. you made your point. I was mincing words really.

Yay another vote for team Joerger!! :D lol

IMO he really has the potential to be a great NBA coach. That's why I'm not all that upset with losing Lionel as long as we can sign DJ.

I guess Thibs should have stuck to being an assistant!

Bulls fans must be ****** they hired some crappy assistant!

Some of you guys act like assistant coaches have no effect on the game.

If LH is so awesome you should have faith in joerger!

Lh himself said joerger would be a great coach and is ready for the job.

It took me awhile to him to.

If we bring in a new assistant like Ewing it would be a complete win

I guess Thibs should have stuck to being an assistant! Bulls fans must be ****** they hired some crappy assistant! Some of you guys act like assistant coaches have no effect on the game. If LH is so awesome you should have faith in joerger! Lh himself said joerger would be a great coach and is ready for the job.

Well I hope Joerger (if he is hired) can get the Grizzlies to the NBA Finals because any thing less next year will be a bust and if he doesn't then it will be a bad move to let Lionel Hollins go.

Well I hope Joerger (if he is hired) can get the Grizzlies to the NBA Finals because any thing less next year will be a bust and if he doesn't then it will be a bad move to let Lionel Hollins go.

So if we kept LH and he didn't make it should he be fired?

None of that means Hollins wasn't a big part of it. I suspect that every head coach is a major part of the philosophies and planning of every team strategy. If you choose to believe different just because of some writer's story it's your fantasy.

I think that would be unfair to ask that of a first year coach if Joerger (or anyone else for that matter) actually gets the job.

I will say this, if Hollins is gone I hope Dave Joerger is given a shot, but all of you people assuming that this will be the case I warn you, it might not turn out like you think. It seems to me that this ownership regime has had some plans in their mind long before any of this, so we might see a totally new face. Just because there has been someone comment that Joerger is probably it, remember, just the other day management said they were going to try to come to terms with Hollins, and that has not come to fruition.

If Hollins is gone I do not expect to win more than 50 games or get to the conference finals. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm certain this thread will get bumped next season to point out some of the absurdities in it.

I will say this, if Hollins is gone I hope Dave Joerger is given a shot, but all of you people assuming that this will be the case I warn you, it might not turn out like you think. It seems to me that this ownership regime has had some plans in their mind long before any of this, so we might see a totally new face. Just because there has been someone comment that Joerger is probably it, remember, just the other day management said they were going to try to come to terms with Hollins, and that has not come to fruition. If Hollins is gone I do not expect to win more than 50 games or get to the conference finals. I hope I'm wrong. I'm certain this thread will get bumped next season to point out some of the absurdities in it.

Joerger will be the next coach if Hollins is gone. Bank on it. He's cheap, maintains continuity with the players, and has a well regarding reputation around the league.

This is a player's league. I don't care if Hollins leaves or not because I know for a fact that Joerger isn't going to make Z-bo jump higher, play better defense or be a more efficient scorer. He won't help Conley become more consistent, make Prince a better shooter, or help Gasol grow a pair. He does not have that kind of power. No one does.

At the end of the day, the Grizz success will come down to the players who are actually playing the game. Not Hollins. Not Joerger. and not Hollinger.

I say the chances of Joerger becoming head coach is 95%. If we don't get him, I think it would be because of money. I just can't believe that the FO wouldn't be interested in him for some reason.

That being said, if Hollins officially leaves and we DON'T get Joerger, I would be very worried about next season. With Dave though, I don't see any reason why we couldn't make it back to the WCF or beyond in 2014 (unless there's a major player personnel change).

Wasn't frank Vogel just an assistant last year?

Those pacers are pretty good.

LH acted pretty dumb for a guy without a contact.

Like it or not, chances are LH is likely gone and Joerger has a good chance to become the next head coach. You just can't make everyone happy, I think FO should do what they think is best for this team regardless of what the fans and the media think. Most people didn't like the Rudy Gay trade and the Cleveland trade but they turned out to be ok even when the players we got in Daye, Davis and Leuer never quite got consistent minutes to show what they could do.

We have two good young prospects in Davis and Wroten, and we need a coach who could develop them by playing them minutes. Even if we keep our main core intact for next season, it is hard to see us going any further. ZBo, TA and Prince are all one year older. ZBo and Prince are declining, TA has never been a threat on offense. The timing may be right to reshape the team (not rebuild) this summer.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 1h The Nets still haven't shown an inclination that they want to meet with Lionel Hollins, league sources tell Y!

Lots of interest for LH you guys!

I though the great LH would have been hired already!

Gonna get a good chuckle if none of the top teams hire him.

Gonna laugh harder if his price drops and the FO keeps him for cheap.

Super duper win for the griz if that happens.