Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Grizzlies Give Hollins Permission To Interview With Other Teams

Quick question, do we have any legitimate reason to believe that Joerger is the "other guy," outside of some Peter Vescey remark that he saw him in a parking lot with Levien?

I'd feel a lot more comfortable without Lionel if Dave was being promoted, keeping some continuity, but who's to say this isn't about one of Levien's old chronies from some other stop?

Quick question, do we have any legitimate reason to believe that Joerger is the "other guy," outside of some Peter Vescey remark that he saw him in a parking lot with Levien?

I'd feel a lot more comfortable without Lionel if Dave was being promoted, keeping some continuity, but who's to say this isn't about one of Levien's old chronies from some other stop?

Well, Chris Vernon writing on twitter said Grizz FO think Joerger could be a superstar coach and don't want to lose him.

Sam Amick reported that FO is going to schedule a meeting with Joerger about the job now that Lionel can talk to other teams.

Joerger and Ewing please!

Ewing could really help marc develop.

What ever happen I hope its quick so we can all shut up :)

For those who keep referring to last year compared to this year:

Do you really think Zach 2012 was the same as Zach 2013?

Do you really think the Clippers with Ryan Hollins, Ronny Turiaf, and Lamar Kardashian were as strong as the one with Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin?

It is amateur hour in the Grizzlies FO.

I know a healthy Zach didn't need Rudy two years ago to get pas the Spurs. And I know our record was pretty **** good without Rudy after the trade this year

I know a healthy Zach didn't need Rudy two years ago to get pas the Spurs. And I know our record was pretty **** good without Rudy after the trade this year

And you do realize in 2011 playoffs that Manu Ginobili was not at full strength and we had a healthy Darrel Arthur? You do realize that in 2012, Zach was not 100%, DA was out, OJ didn't show up until the last 2 games and Marc was M.I.A. the entire series? You do realize that our record with Rudy and Speights in and Zach hurt in 2011-12 was pretty darned good as well right?

For those who keep referring to last year compared to this year: Do you really think Zach 2012 was the same as Zach 2013? Do you really think the Clippers with Ryan Hollins, Ronny Turiaf, and Lamar Kardashian were as strong as the one with Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin? It is amateur hour in the Grizzlies FO.

You forgot Nick Young as well who hit dagger after dagger in the 2012 playoff series.

Anyone who tries to blame the first round loss to the Clippers solely on Rudy Gay is not very well informed.

You forgot Nick Young as well who hit dagger after dagger in the 2012 playoff series.

Anyone who tries to blame the first round loss to the Clippers solely on Rudy Gay is not very well informed.

We agree on one thing.

Everyone gets blame/credit in a series.

That's why I don't mind us looking at a new coach.

Who knows maybe LH doesn't get a big offer from LAC or Brooklyn.

Our FO may like LH if he's cheaper.

Smart move by the FO only two teams Want LH at this point if they hire other guys LH will be cheap!

Manu was playing so well that he was All-NBA that year. Arguably his second best year of his career, and the only Spur that year to make All-NBA.

He played in the playoffs with a broken arm. Actually, he didn't play, then he played, but like a man with a broken arm.

In the Western Conference for the last 3 years, the Grizzlies have finished: 8th, tied for 3rd, tied for 4th. Our best regular season in terms of finish was the full Rudy year.

They were in 3rd place in the WC the day before the Grizzlies hired Hollinger.

They were in 4th place in the WC on both trade days that the Speights and Rudy trades went down.

They ended up sharing 4th place, and getting the 5th seed and lost home court advantage after those trades.

But fortunately for the Grizzlies, the Clippers were doing even worse during the 2nd half of the season, and Russell Westbrook got hurt.

Assuming they haven't already got another top-notch coach waiting in the wings, if management does not at least offer Coach Hollins a fair contract, I don't think the Grizzlies will be attracting any top-notch coaches in the future. Oh well, maybe we never would anyway ... sigh.

I've absolutely loved the "Playoff" era (and I hope we keep the motto) but as we saw this year, there's only so far a system like that can go. I'm not trying to minimize our accomplishments or anything, but there IS a big difference between qualifying for the WCF and winning a Championship. It's time to start moving in a new direction.

There fixed it for you.

Am I the only one starting to miss Michael Heisley. I wish Jason Levien would just go away somewhere. He is gonna ruin this team. I love the Grizzlies and I am one of the most optimistic people on this board but I don't trust Levien and I think he will get this team to the lottery faster than he will get this team to the Finals.

There fixed it for you.

Are you implying if we lose Hollins and sign Joerger as head coach we won't even make the Playoffs? Get outta here! We will be at or above the level we were at this year.

You forgot Nick Young as well who hit dagger after dagger in the 2012 playoff series. Anyone who tries to blame the first round loss to the Clippers solely on Rudy Gay is not very well informed.

I kinda agree with you, BUT I'm c'mon, dude - think of a better example of your point. The reason Nick Young got so open on those 'daggers' was because Rudy was playing lazy transition defense on him.

Are you implying if we lose Hollins and sign Joerger as head coach we won't even make the Playoffs? Get outta here! We will be at or above the level we were at this year.

Depends on the rest of the West.

Depends on the rest of the West.

Well yes, that's fair. But someone saying a coaching change alone will automatically put us back in the lottery though is absurd. With or without Hollins, this team (as is currently constructed) is in the Playoffs. Period. The question is, would Joerger be the guy who can help us turn the corner and win a Championship. My gut says yes.

A simple question: would any team hire a head coach who does not agree with their philosophy on how the team should be run? Would you if you are running the team? It doesn't matter how great the coach is, you don't want someone who is going in a different direction, especially when that is your head coach. Give credit to LH for having so much success this year, but it's time to move on.

YES!!!!!! I may be in the minority but getting rid of a coach that took one of the worst franchises in NBA history to the Western Conference Finals for a unproven younger coach just doesn't excite me. There is no justification for not resigning Hollins and it makes the F.O. look foolish IMO.

Well, bye Lionel. He deserves props for what he accomplished, but he's simply hit his ceiling. His "my way, or the highway" technique cannot take this team to the next level. It seems he's even using this philosophy in his contract negotiations. Hire Joerger immediately.

How can you say he hit his ceiling when he hasn't had a chance to show what that is? One fact - the team improved each and every single season he was here, so how can you make that ridiculous statement?

How can you say he hit his ceiling when he hasn't had a chance to show what that is? One fact - the team improved each and every single season he was here, so how can you make that ridiculous statement?

+1

He improved the team no matter the circumstances. I didn't matter who was on the team. The year Rudy was hurt...The year Zach was hurt...this year when Rudy was traded. This team has had a bunch of adversity and L-Train was the one constant. I don't understand why people are acting like we made it this far inspite of Lionel Hollins.

Ok, here's a thought for the pro-Hollins fans: it is undeniable that the Grizzlies strong point that has ultimately helped them reach the level of success they are currently at is defense. We now have the #1 defense in the NBA. Hollins may have been the conductor that said the focus should be put on the defensive end, but as it is now common knowledge, the team's entire defensive strategy has been designed by Dave Joerger. Hollins had little if anything to do with the actual defensive plan.

With that understanding, why is it fair to assume all of the Grizzlies success is attributed to Lionel when in fact Joerger was in charge of the very thing that has made us successful? If we can retain DJ, we will be just fine (if not better). Those of you who seem to be attached to Lionel at the hip need to realize this isn't the end of the world.

Am I the only one starting to miss Michael Heisley. I wish Jason Levien would just go away somewhere. He is gonna ruin this team.

1. you mean Michael "I have input on every FO decision even tho I don't know the CBA" Heisley? unfortunately yes

2. What evidence do you have to support an argument that Levien will ruin this team? What exactly has he done wrong?

And I really get tired of hearing people say that the team's record got better every year he was here. Ya know what? So did the roster. And saying he led us to our best record in franchise history. How does Hollins get credit for the franchise's decision makers being terrible years ago? If 8 years ago we had a record of 60-22, would that make Hollins performance this year any lesser? of course not

The team improved every year joerger was here.

EXACTLY!

Just because someone carries the "head coach" title doesn't mean they should automatically be given full credit for all successes. Obviously he deserves some, but he simply is NOT the greatest coach on the planet that should be given whatever kind of a contract he wants. He obviously is overvaluing himself and is predictably being stubborn with his "my way or the highway" approach. It appears this time, it's the highway for LH.

+1 He improved the team no matter the circumstances. I didn't matter who was on the team. The year Rudy was hurt...The year Zach was hurt...this year when Rudy was traded. This team has had a bunch of adversity and L-Train was the one constant. I don't understand why people are acting like we made it this far inspite of Lionel Hollins.

BECAUSE THE TEAM GOT BETTER WHEN RUDY DIDN'T PLAY, AND HOLLINS DIDN'T FREAKIN REALIZE IT AND FOUGHT TO KEEP RUDY.

Gotta come up with a better argument why losing Hollins is a bad thing.