Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Grizzlies Give Hollins Permission To Interview With Other Teams

find me one article that says this was a good move by the grizzlies.

until then,

i rest my case.

Why?

They tried to work it out. They could not. They had a poor relationship. Do you really want that dysfunction on your team?

Lionel was hired by Heisley. Not these guys. I dont think he respected their views on basketball. They're the ones who have to work with him. Not any of us.

find me one article that says this was a good move by the grizzlies.

until then,

i rest my case.

Lionel didn't want to come back. He was practically begging to be let go. He refused to play the main piece that came back in the Rudy trade. He bashed the FO in the media. He yelled at personnel in practice. What did you expect. He was either looking for an out, or he's a moron. Maybe both. Not many jobs you can blatantly disrespect your management and get a new deal.

Why? They tried to work it out. They could not. They had a poor relationship. Do you really want that dysfunction on your team? Lionel was hired by Heisley. Not these guys. I dont think he respected their views on basketball. They're the ones who have to work with him. Not any of us.

No, I do not. But in this case, I side with Hollins rather than a 30 year old kid and a Stat Geek. One, Hollins has been here 5 years and built up the team. Two, hollins has won an NBA championship.

So forgive me, but I just don't believe in this FO operation, who rips the entire fabric of the organization in less than a year. Understand? i don't think these cats know anthing about basketball and that is one reason the spurs fired hollinger in the first place.

So, lets add this up. Pop says: you guys are just like us but we just have the rings, referring to the way the grizzlies play and Hollins. The spurs, one of the best (if not the best organizations) fires Hollinger because his suggestions were idoitic.

Let's see? Who am I going to side with?

Potentially losing the most successful coach in Grizzlies history is not a reason to celebrate. SMH.

No, I do not. But in this case, I side with Hollins rather than a 30 year old kid and a Stat Geek. One, Hollins has been here 5 years and built up the team. Two, hollins has won an NBA championship.

So forgive me, but I just don't believe in this FO operation, who rips the entire fabric of the organization in less than a year. Understand? i don't think these cats know anthing about basketball and that is one reason the spurs fired hollinger in the first place.

So, lets add this up. Pop says: you guys are just like us but we just have the rings, referring to the way the grizzlies play and Hollins. The spurs, one of the best (if not the best organizations) fires Hollinger because his suggestions were idoitic.

Hollins did not build this team. He did not sign the players. He didn't draft them. He didn't scout them. He didn't trade for them.

You can give Lionel credit for coaching this team, but the roster doesn't belong to him. It's still a good roster without him. Hopefully, it will get better in the summer.

I think it's pointless to rip the front office when we know very little. The relationship between Lionel and the front office seems terrible. The reports paint Lionel to be very combative and prickly behind the scenes. Sorry, if what we are reading is true, I'm not blaming the new guys.

Rick Carlisle is widely considered one of the best coaches in the NBA. He got fired by the Detroit Pistons in 2003 after getting the team to the ECF! He got fired because he did not get along with the FO, not because he was a bad coach. Next year, they hire Larry Brown, and win a frickin' championship. My point is not that Carlisle/Brown are like Hollins/Joerger. My point is THAT FO's DO THIS ALL THE TIME AND ARE STILL SUCCESSFUL. Get a clue, dude.

Are you seriously comparing Dave Joerger to Larry Brown? Not taking anything away from DJ, but really? Dave Joerger to Larry Brown? Larry Brown was a proven coach before he won that title with Detroit. Joerger hasn't proven anything in the big leagues yet. You need more than that one particular instance to prove the point you're trying to prove. If you have one....

Literally only players on squad that wanted Hollins to comeback was mike and maybe Quincy. hollins was not beloved by the roster like some would have people to believe. his difficult personality goes all the way back to his playing days. I never liked how some fans thought only mentally tough players could flourish under hollins - dude clearly had favorites and the Docile types like mike Xavier Rudy and Quincy fit the profile. Hopefully joerger will make a smooth translation into the role and for goodness sake craft a REAL OFFENSE.

You mean design more creative ways for Tayshuan Prince and Zach Randolph to miss more shots?

Hmmmmm, ......a self made billionaire, a guy who invented an analytic that is widely used around the league and a lawyer/former agent that has been published in the Harvard business journal..........

They are all smarter than you, so hmmmm, guess who I am going to side with

Hollins did not build this team. He did not sign the players. He didn't draft them. He didn't scout them. He didn't trade for them. You can give Lionel credit for coaching this team, but the roster doesn't belong to him. It's still a good roster without him. Hopefully, it will get better in the summer. I think it's pointless to rip the front office when we know very little. The relationship between Lionel and the front office seems terrible. The reports paint Lionel to be very combative and prickly behind the scenes. Sorry, if what we are reading is true, I'm not blaming the new guys.

I know that the spurs fired hollinger and praised hollins, and I trust them more than you or anybody on this board.

I know that the spurs fired hollinger and praised hollins, and I trust them more than you or anybody on this board.

The Spurs also gave Richard Jefferson millions of dollars to suck. What's your point? Levien, Hollinger, and Stu Lash are acknowledged around the league as smart guys.

Also, the Spurs "firing" Hollinger isn't accurate.

I would praise a guy I just humiliated in the WCF also. If I were Popavich I would offer to pay Hollins salary to keep him around. He basically murdered Hollins on national tv. Of course he is going to praise him

Brian Shaw has 5 rings

Maybe LH.doeant know.anything and that why we got punked by pops.

Almost every team is making salaries moves.

We looked like idiots after the pau trade too.

Trading Rudy has allowed us a chance to improve .

maybe he got punked by pops because he had a ****** sf.

Yeah because if we would have had Rudy we would still be playing. Just like last year

Almost every team is making salaries moves. We looked like idiots after the pau trade too. Trading Rudy has allowed us a chance to improve .

I actually think that Lionel did a helluva job in the WCF. 2 games went into overtime and 1 game the gizzlies lead late in the 4th quarter. The grizzlies played their hearts out in that WCF. The grizzlies just didn't have enough at the end, and this series was this close EVEN with Zach getting shut down. I mean, yeah the spurs were better but the grizzlies played as well as their talent level allowed them to play, and that''s all you can ask of a coach.

There's an awful lot of people who are assuming Joerger is going to want to take this job. My understanding is his name is being brought up around the league as a potential hire because of what he's done defensively. And oh yeah, he's gotten to see the new F.O. alienate both a head coach and a GM.

In fact, I've also read (I don't remember where, I get my Grizz news far and wide these days) that Joerger has been loyal to Hollins, not using some apparant clout with the new guard to his advantage while Hollins' situation is up in the air.

I know a lot of people have been backing Joerger here on these boards for years now. Must be a heckuva guy. I just remember the last "hot" assistant the Grizzlies hired and how well that worked out.

Yeah because if we would have had Rudy we would still be playing. Just like last year

For those who keep referring to last year compared to this year:

Do you really think Zach 2012 was the same as Zach 2013?

Do you really think the Clippers with Ryan Hollins, Ronny Turiaf, and Lamar Kardashian were as strong as the one with Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin?

It is amateur hour in the Grizzlies FO.

Why are people acting like Pops wasn't the better coach? Or acting like the Spurs just weren't the better team? Yeah, Pop was suppose to let Lionel just steal a couple of wins. Our roster didn't match up well with theirs. Who's fault is that? Certainly not Lionel's. Hmm, maybe the FO's?

Getting a new coach is one way to improve a team!

He got worked by a team we will face every year

Why bring him back?

LH thought joerger would be a great coach for Portland so why not here?

For those who keep referring to last year compared to this year:

Do you really think Zach 2012 was the same as Zach 2013?

Do you really think the Clippers with Ryan Hollins, Ronny Turiaf, and Lamar Kardashian were as strong as the one with Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin?

It is amateur hour in the Grizzlies FO.

Again........ A self made billionaire, a lawyer / former agent and the inventor of an analytic = all smarter than you.

It's amateur hour on this message board

Again........ A self made billionaire, a lawyer / former agent and the inventor of an analytic = all smarter than you. It's amateur hour on this message board

The incredible irony of this statement.

Zbo got worked to so he should be gone aswell!

We can't beat a healthy spurs with what we have.

We should have fired LH and traded Rudy and zbo at the deadline.