Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Grizzlies Give Hollins Permission To Interview With Other Teams

Haha, this new regime is a bunch of pissants. Lionel is a badass and wouldn't take **** from any of them. IMO, that's ultimately why he won't be coaching the Grizzlies next year.

(major sarcasm alert)

Maybe they should have hired Bobby Knight to throw some chairs around? Or better yet, THIS guy...

I think having synergy between the front office and the head coach is really important. I'm sure Pop and R.C. Buford have disagreements. You're going to disagree about a number of things, but they probably have a very similar philosophy on how to run a team, develop players. and win.

Lionel and Hollinger probably don't. I think it is probably best that Lionel is leaving. I'm a big believer in the analytics movement, and, if Lionel couldn't get on board with that, I think they had to let him go.

Having your coach constantly at odds with the front office sounds dysfunctional when the problems seem this severe.

Haha, this new regime is a bunch of pissants. Lionel is a badass and wouldn't take **** from any of them. IMO, that's ultimately why he won't be coaching the Grizzlies next year.

I think Hollins believes he's the ONLY person that knows how to make the team successful. IMO it's inappropriate for a coach to be lashing out in anger like Hollins does whenever a player or FO person does something he doesn't like.

Btw, I know it's just speculation but I have to wonder: if LH is willing to push one his players during a WCF game on live national TV, I really wonder what he does to players in practice when nobody else is around. Perhaps there was a specific reason Hollinger decided to drop in on the practice? Not accusing Lionel of anything at this point, but it's possible. We all heard about the Mike Rice situation this year and nobody thought that was going on...

Accorng to ESPN:

Sources told ESPN.com that Hollins' relationship with star forward Zach Randolph has been strained at times throughout the season as well.

Man, Hollins really is like public enemy #1 inside the organization. It seems like only person that doesn't hate him is Conley and that's probably because Lionel has treated him like his own kid from day 1.

Hollins was the final staple of the tough-nosed, all-business, No-BS Heisley era.

Now we enter a nerdier Grizz era predicated upon mathematics.

Look for Stephen Hawking to be interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position shortly.

Taped glasses and pocket protectors for Grzzlies game giveaways next season!

Hollins thanks for getting the team here and thanks for leaving and I hope you lose every game you ever play against the Grizz. Nothing personal just fan business. Think of how good this team will be with an actual offensive system to run!

Accorng to ESPN:

Man, Hollins really is like public enemy #1 inside the organization. It seems like only person that doesn't hate him is Conley and that's probably because Lionel has treated him like his own kid from day 1.

Hollins wanted Zach traded this season when he was told by the front office that Rudy was being traded.

He also implied with his exit interview with the media that Pondexter may be our starting SG next year, which some took as him saying we shouldn't resign TA.

Zach and TA were never his guys.

Aren't you the biggest Rudy Gay hater on this board? Since when did his offensive regression become Hollins' fault, especially when he has only slightly improved since going to TOR? Mayo failed because Tony Allen was a better overall player. Again, it isn't Hollins' fault for playing the better player.

The offensive regression was the shoulder injury's fault but Hollins had developed Gay like crap from the beginning. Gay should've always been developed as a Shawn Marion utility player who does his offensive damage off the ball as his slashing ability was always his biggest asset. Instead, Hollins fed into Gay's weaknesses and tried to build him as some bs wing scorer. The only time Gay ever developed his Shawn Marion game is when he got the US basketball camp and was forced to play that off the ball role. Yes Gay is a humungous chucker but Hollins always satisfied him with absurd isolations.

Were Greg Buckner, Quinton Ross and Marko Jaric better players than Mayo too? Because apparently they were all better options at pg on a freakin 60 loss team instead of developing your top 3 draft pick. What about Xavier Henry? Remember that bum that got so many undeserved minutes. Or trying to develop him as a off the ball guy when that wasn't his best trait.

Or Vasquez was handled horribly.

Or Davis, horribly.

Wroten, lol.

He constantly picked all these bum veteran players over developing young players

It's his way or the highway, but he's not in control.

You pretty much saw this coming from a mile away as soon as the new ownership came in. I will say this. there is something about this new group that I just don't like. I can't put my finger on it if it's Levien or Hollinger or what, I get the feeling they are slimy and won't be upfront with people. Pretty much like you said, a bunch of pissants.

i have mixed feelings. Hollins took us from league wide embarrassment to media dralings. He gave us an identity and made us winners,

we stunk bad when he took over and we got better every year. He's an awesome coach. He'll get paid somewhere else.

that said, holy crap he is a stubborn, ill tempered dude at times. His refusal to really develop a bench was an issue at times.

wow I dunno

It's his way or the highway, but he's not in control.

You pretty much saw this coming from a mile away as soon as the new ownership came in. I will say this. there is something about this new group that I just don't like. I can't put my finger on it if it's Levien or Hollinger or what, I get the feeling they are slimy and won't be upfront with people. Pretty much like you said, a bunch of pissants.

At least these guys seem to have a vision for what they want to do going forward. Under Heisley, everything was dysfunctional. People forget, but even hiring Lionel was a cheap move. He was the only guy willing to take a short term contract for well below market value.

The new guys are enigmatic in a lot of ways. It's concerning we don't know a lot about them. But, I imagine they're going to much more thoughtful running this team than we've seen in the past.

I'm completely on board with the FO and Lionel was a huge boulder in the way of progress. Let the Joerger era begin.

We're gonna look pretty smart when Ed Davis becomes a star. And whichever team gets Lionel is gonna be pretty disappointed when they find how overrated he is. How he is inept at rotations, offense, drawing plays, and mostly rode Joerger's defense to rising win totals and fame.

Teams like the Grizzlies and Rockets that are at the front of the analytics movement will be the ones rising to the top, while the other teams will be left in the dust. Let them have a old grumpy dinosaur like Hollins, we don't need him.

I've absolutely loved the "Grit/Grind" era (and I hope we keep the motto) but as we saw this year, there's only so far a system like that can go. I'm not trying to minimize our accomplishments or anything, but there IS a big difference between qualifying for the WCF and winning a Championship. It's time to start moving in a new direction.

Lol way too dramatic.

The grizzlies won't be a better team once hollins leaves, STAPLE THAT SOMEWHERE--in fact, they'll actually be worse, and I don't think for a minute that Hollins' anger management issues were even considered in the decision to let him go. It just made it easier to do.

I do however think hollins should not return (the bayless thing), but at the same time it's not because I support or respect Robert Pera and his cohorts. Because I don't.

They seem like the nba version of Jerry Jones to me. If Pera and Hollinger wants a puppet to coach the team, they ought to get out there and coach the team themselves. But they won't do that because they'll need a scapegoat when their grand experiment blows up in their faces.

They are lucky that Marc Gasol and Conley are locked up because I don't see them resigning with the grizzlies once their contract runs out.

The offensive regression was the shoulder injury's fault but Hollins had developed Gay like crap from the beginning. Gay should've always been developed as a Shawn Marion utility player who does his offensive damage off the ball as his slashing ability was always his biggest asset. Instead, Hollins fed into Gay's weaknesses and tried to build him as some bs wing scorer. The only time Gay ever developed his Shawn Marion game is when he got the US basketball camp and was forced to play that off the ball role. Yes Gay is a humungous chucker but Hollins always satisfied him with absurd isolations.

Were Greg Buckner, Quinton Ross and Marko Jaric better players than Mayo too? Because apparently they were all better options at pg on a freakin 60 loss team instead of developing your top 3 draft pick. What about Xavier Henry? Remember that bum that got so many undeserved minutes. Or trying to develop him as a off the ball guy when that wasn't his best trait.

Or Vasquez was handled horribly.

Or Davis, horribly.

Wroten, lol.

He constantly picked all these bum veteran players over developing young players

Dang!!! It's scary how much I agree with you! hollins is a dinosaur his whole talent evaluation - his philosophy is based on a players physical traits. If you are 6'3 and under you must be a traditional PG - if you are 6'10 and weight less than 235 you must be a PF. Etc etc. that's why guys like mayo selby and Davis had very little opportunity for growth under his watch. As a smart market team we cannot afford to keep wasting talent because Coach is too close-minded o understand how to develop them. Which in itself isn't always detrimental if you are willing to listen to others input but apparently as the blowup with Hollinger shows That isn't Hollins.

Couldn't agree more with you about his treatment of Rudy he tried to make Rudy into a Superstr and treated him as such even though Rudy hadn't done Anthony to command that treatment. Everyone always points to Rudy ISO as offense "killing" but that was LH callin those plays for him.

I appreciate all the good things he did for Memphis community but it was time to move on.

Does Lionel have anger issues? That's a serious question. I think dude needs help.

To be fair I think any coach would have a problem with someone from the front office, especially not being a gm or owner, coming onto the court during practice and talking with players. I know I would be ******

Dang!!! It's scary how much I agree with you! hollins is a dinosaur his whole talent evaluation - his philosophy is based on a players physical traits. If you are 6'3 and under you must be a traditional PG - if you are 6'10 and weight less than 235 you must be a PF. Etc etc. that's why guys like mayo selby and Davis had very little opportunity for growth under his watch. As a smart market team we cannot afford to keep wasting talent because Coach is too close-minded o understand how to develop them. Which in itself isn't always detrimental if you are willing to listen to others input but apparently as the blowup with Hollinger shows That isn't Hollins. Couldn't agree more with you about his treatment of Rudy he tried to make Rudy into a Superstr and treated him as such even though Rudy hadn't done Anthony to command that treatment. Everyone always points to Rudy ISO as offense "killing" but that was LH callin those plays for him. I appreciate all the good things he did for Memphis community but it was time to move on.

the same formula that the grizzlies had before the rudy gay trade is what the pacers are using to take the heat to game 7. Anybody can say what they want about it, what the grizzlies do, works. Especially when you don't have a lebron james.