Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tennesseessio

?uestion About Trading Players For Picks...

What i want to do is trade Dante for a 2nd round pick, to save some room for our own FAs. I know that the salaries don't match, but i also know that somehow or another this sort of thing has been made to happen before (Stephen Hunter for instance). Can anyone tell me how this can or can't work???

I think a good playoff team like Dallas, Lakers, Miami would want a chance to blow off a future late 2nd rounder to get a hard-worker like Dante as a rotational big - even if just for 1 season - at a low cost of $2mil.

My arch plan is to trade Cunningham, (making room to) resign both Speights and Arthur, use our 1st on Waiters or Fournier and hope Selby can learn PG in a full off-season, training camp, practice time.

Conley, Selby, Pargo

Allen, Fournier

Gay, Pondexter

Randolph, Arthur

Gasol, Speights

The Grizzlies can trade a player after July 1 and can include a draft pick in the trade. The trade won't be completed until after July 1 however but the Grizzlies can simply tell the team who they want to draft with that pick.

Money is an issue. If the team trading the pick is below the salary cap then the Grizzlies could trade Cunningham for a pick. Draft picks are considered to have no value until signed. If the team is over the cap then the Grizzlies have to receive equal monetary value however in return.

The more I look at this situation the more I think trading Tony or Dante is unavoidable. We still won't be able to afford Speights but the the extra ~2 million will go a long way in securing our bench.