Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blues Brother

Grizz 2012 Draft

I wouldn't be surprised, either. Keeping TA for more than this upcoming season is asking for trouble. He's not going to get any better and I don't expect him to have a better year than his first season in Memphis.

I would like to keep him this season, though. While saying that, I would much rather him come off the bench and have a more well rounded SG starting. Maybe Pondexter or someone else.

Now I wouldn't mind finding a better SG and having TA come off the bench, but I definitely don't want to get rid of TA

Would anyone be up for trading Quincy Pondexter and a first for Terrence Ross and a second

I'd do that, but i don't think we'd get the 2nd in return. Ross is the superior WashU alummn and it would save us money.

I think the best way to determine who Wallace will be looking at is the check out who is in the draft that was highly rated by Scouts.com and other ranking services. Find someone highly rated out of high school who is falling in the draft and that is likely going to be the guy the Grizzlies pick.

Teague it is I guess.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Wroten-5250/

PAC 12 Freshman of the year

All-Pac 12

With the way Tony played offense we need a guy like this that we won't have to cringe at layups and dribbles off of feet. Could make up for drafting Thabeet over Tyreke Evans. Gives us a lot of athleticism and gets to the rim like we wished OJ Mayo would have done.

http://www.draftexpr...ny-Wroten-5250/

PAC 12 Freshman of the year

All-Pac 12

With the way Tony played offense we need a guy like this that we won't have to cringe at layups and dribbles off of feet. Could make up for drafting Thabeet over Tyreke Evans. Gives us a lot of athleticism and gets to the rim like we wished OJ Mayo would have done.

He seems a sixthman in the making...

we need a Offensive SG or a Pick and Roll defender who also blocks shots.

I don't see alot of College ball so I don't know much I did see Jenkings,Azilus,FabMelo and Teague all could help us.

better get this draft right because right now we're 0 for 3 having gambled on Selby, Vasquez, Sam Young, Thabeet, Carroll, Xavier Henry. Not since the OJ Mayo / Kevin Love + Darrell Arthur draft have we done right. Though technically we drafted Donte Green who would have been another huge bust.

http://www.nba.com/2...ease/index.html

Pargo and Selby received zero votes! OUCH

Arnett Moultrie(6'11") or Fab Melo (7ft) or Meyers Leonard (7ft) - all would be good selections and potentially best available if they fall that low.

We have a dire need for an inexpensive Big with actual SIZE, athleticism, and potential. I would love to see how either one of those guys develop playing alongside Zach and Marc. Darrell made great strides while playing against Zach in practice. Getting one of them also would be good insurance for the DA and Big Mo money problem.

If i had to get a wing player i would want a SG with size, ball-handling (create-own-shot), and perimeter scoring abilities (atleast 2 out of 3).

Evan Fournier(6'7") Orlando Johnson (6'5")

I don't want to try to pickup a PG or gamble on another undersized scoring guard. We have enough of those on the roster that we haven't developed. I think we should get our backup PG via free-agency a steady vet or other proven player.

Memphis Grizzlies

It is tough to guess right now what Memphis will look like next season. One school of thought is that it will change very little. This year's disappointment can be pinned on injuries to core players and previously solid role players.

Considering the Grizzlies' payroll, players such as Zach Randolph and Rudy Gay might be moved for the right players (for a Pau Gasol-Marc Gasol front line perhaps) that possibly can get them over the hump and advance further into the playoffs.

O.J. Mayo is a restricted free agent, and though he's not anywhere close to the player Kevin Love turned out to be, he's still an important shooter/defender and has been a terrific team guy his entire time in Memphis. This is a talented roster with title aspirations, and they are deep at the big positions. It makes sense for them to look for wing help, or to take a point guard if one of the higher-rated players fell to them at No. 25.

Good fits: Moe Harkless, Evan Fournier, Jeff Taylor, Doron Lamb

Harkless might be the best long-term prospect of this group, and could in time become a replacement for Gay should the Grizzlies decide to move him. Harkless has a good scoring touch and good size for a small forward. Fournier also could develop into a good player down the road, and Memphis would be attracted to letting him stay in Europe for a year.

Taylor is a different story, as is Lamb. Taylor plays like a strong veteran and would fit into Memphis' scheme on defense immediately, and he'd provide solid perimeter skills behind Gay. He might already be better than Gay's current backup, Quincy Pondexter. If Taylor is available at No. 25, he might make the most sense for a team looking to win big next year.

Lamb is younger but weaker than Taylor. However, he projects to be an excellent 3-point shooter. Memphis did not shoot well from 3-point range this year and its poor perimeter shooting killed it in the playoffs. He also can be an excellent fit on defense thanks to his length and quickness. If the Grizzlies keep Mayo, they probably will lean toward drafting a small forward, but Lamb could help secure their backup shooting guard position behind Tony Allen. Lamb has great instincts and plays with exceptional poise.

David Thorpe on who the Grizz should draft

We should all get together someplace for the draft. Someplace on Beale Street would be cool. We can't go to Chips place because he doesn't drink. :D

Edit : Seriously, if enough people are interested and something like this isn't being hosted by the Grizzlies, throw out some ideas and I'll try to get something set up.

We should all get together someplace for the draft. Someplace on Beale Street would be cool. We can't go to Chips place because he doesn't drink. :D

Edit : Seriously, if enough people are interested and something like this isn't being hosted by the Grizzlies, throw out some ideas and I'll try to get something set up.

You could still come. Just because I don't drink doesn't mean I can't have fun!

We used to meet at the Buffalo Wild Wings at Highland and Poplar. I like their choice of wings and the service wasn't bad when we were there. We've also met at some other bars but noise is almost always a problem. Chris Vernon used to meet at Jason's Deli at Poplar and Highland and that was pretty cool too.

You could still come. Just because I don't drink doesn't mean I can't have fun!

We used to meet at the Buffalo Wild Wings at Highland and Poplar. I like their choice of wings and the service wasn't bad when we were there. We've also met at some other bars but noise is almost always a problem. Chris Vernon used to meet at Jason's Deli at Poplar and Highland and that was pretty cool too.

I called Buffalo Wild Wings (exact address is 3448 Poplar Ave) and they confirmed that multiple tv's will be on for the draft and all Grizzlies fans will be welcome (of course). Nail it down?

better get this draft right because right now we're 0 for 3 having gambled on Selby, Vasquez, Sam Young, Thabeet, Carroll, Xavier Henry. Not since the OJ Mayo / Kevin Love + Darrell Arthur draft have we done right. Though technically we drafted Donte Green who would have been another huge bust.

http://www.nba.com/2...ease/index.html

Pargo and Selby received zero votes! OUCH

How is trading one the the best power forwards in the league for OJ considered "doing right"?

Anyone think Jeff Taylor would be good enough to start at SG for this team?

He seems like one of the more NBA ready players in the draft and he fits everything we need at the starting SG position. Doesn't lack size at 6'7, 226 pounds, 42% 3 point shooter, really good defender, developing an off the dribble game, quick first step and has good lateral quickness. Thorpe even considers him to be better than Qpon currently, which is remained to be seen.

If we are looking for a guy that contributer right away, he may be that guy.

He seems like one of the more NBA ready players in the draft and he fits everything we need at the starting SG position. Doesn't lack size at 6'7, 226 pounds, 42% 3 point shooter, really good defender, developing an off the dribble game, quick first step and has good lateral quickness. Thorpe even considers him to be better than Qpon currently, which is remained to be seen.

Was just coming to post this. Since guys are so gun-ho on keeping the core together I would suggest drafting Taylor and signing Shannon Brown as OJs replacement.

Pick up a cheap shooter/defender like Rasual Butler and call it a day..

I don't follow college ball. It's worse than watching the 76ers-Celtics series. But we should be able to find a solid role player at 25. We've actually done pretty well in the past with low first round picks (Hak, Lowry, DA, GV).

Either of the Vandy guys would be a good pick IMO. Taylor is taller and a better defender, but I would take Jenkins over him all day. We need a pure shooter BADLY. He's the only guy I've seen on NBAdraft.net who has a 10/10 shooting score. I don't recall ever seeing that for anyone. Taylor is also a SF. I don't know if he could adjust to what we need at SG when OJ leaves. Jenkins is undersized like OJ but can shoot the lights out. His pure shooting can provide us with the consistency that OJ lacked. Taylor can shoot threes but Jenkins took about twice as many as Taylor and shot one percent better than him. I really, really like Jenkins as a pick. Make a trade to get a backup pg, and I think all is gravy

Jeffery Taylor is mentally weak. He is a frontrunner. He can be on fire driving to the rim, shooting, dunking, and playing defense. Than, he misses a couple of chippys or gets scored on a couple of times, than he disappears completly. I would rather have Jenkins.

I wouldn't mind actually picking up both players. We could buy an early 2nd rounder to get Jenkins. When it comes to the 25th pick, I'm expecting us to take the best player available and I think Taylor or Lamb would be an overall better player. That doesn't mean we can't be aggressive and pick up Jenkins, though. Getting both Lamb and Jenkins would be too similar of a pick. If we decide to go big or with a guy like Taylor in the 1st, picking up a 2nd to get Jenkins would work. Darius Miller would also be a guy that can come right in and be a rotational player.

As far as Taylor playing SG, I think he's very capable. He's improved over the course of his career in Vandy and I he doesn't fall out of games as much like his previous years. He was more confident in his senior season. Just look at his yearly improvement at Vandy. He was held to single digits only 5 times throughout the entire season.

Detroit Pistons #DraftDreams: Jeff Taylor

By Patrick Hayes • 12:00 pm • May 19, 2012

Info

Measurables: 6-foot-7, 225 pounds, senior F from Vanderbilt

Key Stats: 16.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.3 steals per game while shooting 49 percent and 42 percent from three

Projected: Late first round

Why I’m intrigued by this guy

There’s really little chance that Jeff Taylor would rise enough to be in play in the late lottery when the Pistons pick and there’s little chance he falls out of the 20s, where he’s currently projected, to the earlier of the Pistons’ second round picks. Still though, he’s the type of efficient shooting wing they should be hoping they can land in the draft. Plus, he’d give the Pistons the only two Swedish players in NBA history along with Jonas Jerebko. Any time you can become the most popular NBA team in Sweden, you have to do it, right?

Pros for the Pistons

Taylor is was of the best outside shooters in the country this season, hitting 42 percent of his threes. He’s also an explosive athlete and willing defensive player. In short, he’s about the prototypical wing the Pistons need right now as they are incredibly deficient in shooting, defense and athleticism on their wings right now. Not only would Taylor’s shooting ability stretch the floor and open lanes for Rodney Stuckey and Brandon Knight, who are both much better in a faster tempo than in the halfcourt, but he would be able to run with them and finish.

Cons for the Pistons

Taylor’s not the best at creating off the dribble, which wouldn’t be much of an issue in Detroit since Stuckey, Knight and Tayshaun Prince handle that. The bigger issue with Taylor is simply his availability. As I said above, he’s currently projected too low for the Pistons to consider him in the lottery and too high for them to have a shot at him in the second round. But don’t sleep on him. He’s EXACTLY the type of under the radar, hard-working and productive prospect who can rise quickly with great workouts. If he does that and some of the underwhelming late lottery bigs, well, underwhelm, don’t be shocked if he plays his way into that conversation. Considering he does things that fill some very significant needs for the Pistons and that Joe Dumars has occasionally shown an inclination towards taking under the radar prospects (Stuckey, for instance), it’s maybe not out of the realm that he could play his way onto Detroit’s first round radar, depending on how the draft plays out before they pick.

What others are saying

Chad Ford:

The Good: Taylor is one of the best athletes in the game. He’s an explosive leaper who excels out in transition. He has dramatically improved his jump shot over the past four years.

The Bad: He still struggles to dominate offensively at times and his aggression level can vary depending on the matchup. He’s already 22 years old, which hurts his stock a little.

The Upside: Taylor finally had the breakout year NBA scouts were hoping for as a senior. His athletic ability alone makes him a legitimate first-round prospect. If he were to land on the right team, he could have a great pro career. He’s wilted a bit in big games over the past few years. If he can take over in the tournament, he could take one more big step up the draft board.

DraftExpress:

While Taylor’s offensive game remains a work in progress, he is still an outstanding defender who should be able to contribute immediately in the NBA on that end of the floor. While his reported 6’6 wingspan is unimpressive to say the least, he has excellent lateral quickness to stay in front of all but the quickest point guards and the strength to guard four positions at the collegiate level. Furthermore, and as we have written before, his fundamentals are superb across the board, giving him the chance to be a real presence on this end of the floor at the next level.

NBADraft.net:

NBADraft.net: You are known as a defensive stopper and have been an All-SEC defender the past 2 seasons. What is it that sets you apart from other players on the defensive side of the ball?

Jeffery Taylor: I take a great deal of pride in not letting my man score. I think that is the most important thing. You have to take pride in not letting your man score and everything else takes care of itself. It isn’t all about athletic ability. I feel like defense is all about your mentality and how you approach the game.

NBADraft.net: How does it feel when you shut down the other team’s best player?

Jeffery Taylor: It feels really good. It is definitely something that has always been important to me. I take it personal if a guy scores on me. Definitely being a stopper and people being able to rely on me on the defensive end is definitely the type of player I want to be. It is the kind of player I’ve always been.

ESPN:

Taylor wasn’t flawless Sunday, but he did a lot of things to make those apathetic NBA scouts take notice. His combination of ball skills and penetrating ability comes packaged in a wide, well-built 6-foot-6 frame. His athleticism allowed him to turn one drill — in which campers were asked to catch the ball, pivot, and lay it in with their opposite hand — into a surprisingly impressive dunkfest. When campers were shown a series of three- and four-stage ball moves (“OK, this is a crossover, then a stepback, then a BIG step through the lane, and then we want a clean finish over coach, who will be standing on that chair near the goal. Everyone got it?”), perhaps only North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes and Kentucky guard Doron Lamb picked up the instruction with the same immediate ease as the Vanderbilt swingman.

What is the best thing Jeff Taylor does for his team?

Christian D’Andrea (follow him on Twitter) writes for Anchor of Gold, SB Nation’s Vanderbilt blog:

Taylor’s best attribute for the Commodores came from his defense. As a three time All-SEC defender, Taylor was counted on to cover the opposing team’s top scorer at the 1-4 positions. As a senior, he held Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to 5.7 points per game in three matchups with Kentucky(like i thought) and covered everyone from Kenny Boynton to Tobias Harris through his career.

While that defense made him a standout player early in his career, his work ethic was what set him apart as he developed. Taylor was always a high level athlete for the Commodores, but he had difficulty syncing those gifts to his natural talents. He improved throughout his time in Nashville to fill in the holes in his game. The most popular stat that people point to is his improved shooting; Taylor went from being a 9.1% three-point shooter to connecting on 42.3% of those shots as a senior. However, another story from earlier in his career might better showcase his dedication. After getting pushed around his sophomore year, he came back to Vanderbilt with 25 added pounds of muscle. Despite the added bulk, Taylor was more explosive than ever on the court.

Jeffery Taylor played four years at Vanderbilt and he’s shown continual improvement on the court. He’s far from a finished product, but he’s got the defensive talent and shooting to contribute right away at the NBA level. I think his value will rise since he’s got talents that will shine in individual workouts and combine type measurements, but whoever invests a pick on the senior will get a good return on their investment.

He's kinda a mixture of Sam (size), TA (defense) and Battier (shooting and IQ). :lol:

Also, he seems like a Hollins guy.

He's kinda a mixture of Sam (size), TA (defense) and Battier (shooting and IQ). :lol:

Also, he seems like a Hollins guy.

He reminds me of Batum mixed with Selfalosha..