Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilojmayo

Official: OJ Mayo is a Bust

it is clear OJ is still in a work in progress combo guard..which is perfectly fine...expectations were VERY high for OJ coming in...I think he will be a good pro and have a very long career...He can play two positions, He is a willing learner and defender and he can put points up..His big hurdle was going from dominating on all levels to having to work for it...Plus becoming rich in the process. It appears to be coming together.

YO

A little random, by I was curious, does anyone else find it a little annoying that OJ does his little finger pistol routine after almost every 3 point shot he makes now?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit cocky on his part. Especially considering the fact that the dude falls into a shooting slump every week or so.

A little random, by I was curious, does anyone else find it a little annoying that OJ does his little finger pistol routine after almost every 3 point shot he makes now?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit cocky on his part. Especially considering the fact that the dude falls into a shooting slump every week or so.

Let that boy cook!

I'll rather see him doing it because that means things are going good. A lot of 6th men taunt...Terry with his wings after scoring, Harden does the pistol routine as well. It actually gives the team some kinda swagger.

To be quite honest, I think someone who could bring 5-10 points CONSISTANTLY would be more valuable to the team than someone who brings 15-20 points one night, then 1-5 the next, so on and so on.

Well we probably would've lost our last 2 games if we had some random averaging between 5 and 10 points playing for us instead of OJ.

Well we probably would've lost our last 2 games if we had some random averaging between 5 and 10 points playing for us instead of OJ.

Likewise however, if we would have had someone who can contribute more consistently on the nights where OJ has played very poorly, there's a chance we could have won.

I'm not saying OJ sucks, or that he has nothing of value to offer, or that he never helps us win. My point is, he is simply a very inconsistent offensive player and I think that tendency may hurt the Grizzlies.

Likewise however, if we would have had someone who can contribute more consistently on the nights where OJ has played very poorly, there's a chance we could have won.

I'm not saying OJ sucks, or that he has nothing of value to offer, or that he never helps us win. My point is, he is simply a very inconsistent offensive player and I think that tendency may hurt the Grizzlies.

The only game I can think of that you could argue that OJ was the main fault of losing would be the last Utah game where he only attempted 3 shots. But even there, I think the loss had more to do with horrible team defense rather than OJ having a bad game.

OJ really hasn't even been that inconsistent this year. The only bad slump I can really think of is the 3 or 4 bad games he had before these last 2.

There aren't too teams in this league who have a better player than OJ to bolster their bench. Mayo is a top 6-7 sixth man in the NBA. He is a luxury the Grizzlies have that a lot of other teams can only wish they had. He is a rare weapon. Also, he is only in his second season playing this sixth man role, and it is a very foreign role to him considering the stardom he experienced in high school and college, and even as a rookie in the NBA to some extent. So I think he is only going to continue getting better at it and he will develop better consistency with time. He is a young player and I think a little patience can go a long way with him. I really hope we are able to keep him in Memphis after this season.

I think his performance tonight (while good) only further confirms my previous statements regarding his inconsistency on the offensive end. OJ has some remarkable potential, and we've seen it at times, but more often than not, it is only displayed for a few games before he falls into one of his classic slumps.

To be quite honest, I think someone who could bring 5-10 points CONSISTANTLY would be more valuable to the team than someone who brings 15-20 points one night, then 1-5 the next, so on and so on.

This post is full of fails, the past 20 games OJ has only scored less than 5 once and less than 10 4 times. For the whole season, Mayo has only scored less than 5 3 times and less than 10 10 times.

James Harden: 17 PPG, 31.4 MPG, 0.5414 PPM

Louis Williams: 16 PPG, 26.2 MPG, 0.6107 PPM

Jason Terry: 14.8 PPG, 30.6 MPG, 0.4837 PPM

Al Harrington: 14.2 PPG, 26.7 MPG, 0.5318 PPM

Jamal Crawford: 14 PPG, 26.2 MPG, 0.53435 PPM

Nicolas Batum:13.6 PPG, 27.6 MPG, 0.49275 PPM

Mo Williams: 13.5 PPG, 28.6 MPG, 0.472 PPM

Thaddeus Young: 12.8 PPG, 27.5 MPG, 0.46545454 PPM

OJ Mayo: 12.1 PPG, 25.9 MPG, 0.4633 PPM

The only guys who score better per minute than OJ but score less per game, belong to the top 100 scorers and play 20 minutes or more in the NBA are Jordan Farmar (0.486111), Jordan Crawford (0.485232) and Leandro Barbosa (0.5363636).

He's actually scoring more per minute now compared to his sophomore season. He also has a PER and TS% slightly above the league average (and one of the best on the team), which are improvements earlier in the season. What I don't like about OJ is that he's shooting FTs at a percentage 15% less than his rookie season and this stat is very alarming. He averages slightly better percentages both in FG and 3PT percentage than Louis Williams and plays almost the same minutes, yet there is a huge discrepancy in PPG. This means OJ still isn't putting up (and hitting) more shots like a true scorer off the bench should.

Louis Williams - unconscious scorer off the bench, Philly's go to guy down the stretch

James Harden - consummate 6th man with unreal FG% (great finisher) and TS% (with help from the refs of course)

OJ should change his mentality and approach to the game and work hard on his handles and his shooting if he even wants to match what these guys are doing. But with that said, OJ's not bad, I actually appreciate him more after looking this all up. 20+ teams would kill to have OJ off their bench.

This post is full of fails, the past 20 games OJ has only scored less than 5 once and less than 10 4 times. For the whole season, Mayo has only scored less than 5 3 times and less than 10 10 times.

In Feb, he has had 3 games below 10 and 8 with 10 or above. He's averaging 26 minutes a game. Consistently 38% from the 3 point line.

Question: If he was not here would he leave a hole. YES.

James Harden: 17 PPG, 31.4 MPG, 0.5414 PPM

Louis Williams: 16 PPG, 26.2 MPG, 0.6107 PPM

Jason Terry: 14.8 PPG, 30.6 MPG, 0.4837 PPM

Al Harrington: 14.2 PPG, 26.7 MPG, 0.5318 PPM

Jamal Crawford: 14 PPG, 26.2 MPG, 0.53435 PPM

Nicolas Batum:13.6 PPG, 27.6 MPG, 0.49275 PPM

Mo Williams: 13.5 PPG, 28.6 MPG, 0.472 PPM

Thaddeus Young: 12.8 PPG, 27.5 MPG, 0.46545454 PPM

OJ Mayo: 12.1 PPG, 25.9 MPG, 0.4633 PPM

The only guys who score better per minute than OJ but score less per game, belong to the top 100 scorers and play 20 minutes or more in the NBA are Jordan Farmar (0.486111), Jordan Crawford (0.485232) and Leandro Barbosa (0.5363636).

He's actually scoring more per minute now compared to his sophomore season. He also has a PER and TS% slightly above the league average (and one of the best on the team), which are improvements earlier in the season. What I don't like about OJ is that he's shooting FTs at a percentage 15% less than his rookie season and this stat is very alarming. He averages slightly better percentages both in FG and 3PT percentage than Louis Williams and plays almost the same minutes, yet there is a huge discrepancy in PPG. This means OJ still isn't putting up (and hitting) more shots like a true scorer off the bench should.

Louis Williams - unconscious scorer off the bench, Philly's go to guy down the stretch

James Harden - consummate 6th man with unreal FG% (great finisher) and TS% (with help from the refs of course)

OJ should change his mentality and approach to the game and work hard on his handles and his shooting if he even wants to match what these guys are doing. But with that said, OJ's not bad, I actually appreciate him more after looking this all up. 20+ teams would kill to have OJ off their bench.

One thing you left out - all those guys are getting paid. I think Lou Williams is the cheap guy on that list and he's still over $5m. As a rookie, Mayo is more expensive than he is. We won't be paying Mayo. He's going to wind up in a market that can afford to pay for guys off the bench. We're paying Mayo right now because he's still on his rookie deal.

If we get to the WFC this year, Mayo has a shot at sticking around. If we get that close, Heisley will be tempted to keep the team intact. Anything less, I really think he's gone.

One thing you left out - all those guys are getting paid. I think Lou Williams is the cheap guy on that list and he's still over $5m. As a rookie, Mayo is more expensive than he is. We won't be paying Mayo. He's going to wind up in a market that can afford to pay for guys off the bench. We're paying Mayo right now because he's still on his rookie deal.

If we get to the WFC this year, Mayo has a shot at sticking around. If we get that close, Heisley will be tempted to keep the team intact. Anything less, I really think he's gone.

I'm not as concerned about the team trying to keep Mayo than finding a long-term replacement for him.

I'm not as concerned about the team trying to keep Mayo than finding a long-term replacement for him.

Mayo or whoever - if we want that guy, we have to pay for him. Or else we continue with this mish-mash off the bench.

And some want to throw him under the bus. I don't understand that line of thinking.

The 5-10 ppg scorer idea was purely hypothetical. My point was, I personally would prefer a player who may have a bit less scoring potential than OJ, but can produce at a more consistent rate. Not only in terms of points scored, but FG%, 3pt FG%, TOs, etc.

The 5-10 ppg scorer idea was purely hypothetical. My point was, I personally would prefer a player who may have a bit less scoring potential than OJ, but can produce at a more consistent rate. Not only in terms of points scored, but FG%, 3pt FG%, TOs, etc.

A 5-10 point scorer is your 7th or 8th guy. All players have good and bad games. I remember a couple of years ago when some poster was crying about Pau's inconsistencies and another poster rebutted it with the game-by-game stat lines of Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Amare and a couple of others and the funny thing is that they were all nearly identical in their inconsistent production.

Mayo or whoever - if we want that guy, we have to pay for him. Or else we continue with this mish-mash off the bench.

Bayless, Ellington and Selby will try to replace the points Mayo took to Dallas. I have a feeling that they will do fine overall but every game that they fail to score when needed will have people screaming for Mayo. People will conveniently forget how many times Mayo let us down over the years because when he didn't he looked awesome.

Bayless, Ellington and Selby will try to replace the points Mayo took to Dallas. I have a feeling that they will do fine overall but every game that they fail to score when needed will have people screaming for Mayo. People will conveniently forget how many times Mayo let us down over the years because when he didn't he looked awesome.

True, but now we have a reliable backup for Conley. This is going to help soo much. It won't be too big of an issue for me unless Mayo goes buckwild in Dallas.

Between Bayless, Speights and Arthur (and maybe, hopefully Selby), I don't expect bench scoring to be a problem for us this year.

Yes even without Selby's potential development and addition of Ellington. Arthur and Speights would easily replicate and exceed what OJ did on offensive end last year (12ppg). Those two have proven to be automatic from 15-18ft out. Bayless, Selby, and Ellington are just icing on the cake. Playing alongside DA and MO will leave the lanes open for Bayless to slash/attack the rim with no obstacle in the way. He should be able to drive and kick all day to MO, DA, Qpon, or Ellington. All of those guys are catch and shoot players. Then we will have two guys on bench that can create their own shot in Selby and Bayless.

Yes even without Selby's potential development and addition of Ellington. Arthur and Speights would easily replicate and exceed what OJ did on offensive end last year (12ppg). Those two have proven to be automatic from 15-18ft out. Bayless, Selby, and Ellington are just icing on the cake. Playing alongside DA and MO will leave the lanes open for Bayless to slash/attack the rim with no obstacle in the way. He should be able to drive and kick all day to MO, DA, Qpon, or Ellington. All of those guys are catch and shoot players. Then we will have two guys on bench that can create their own shot in Selby and Bayless.

I can't wait to see these guys on the court this season. This could possibly be one of our best team ever.