Sign in to follow this  
SixthMan

Record Comparison

That is true, Wells, BUT that was only one particular instance. In general, the Tigers are able to consistently draw larger crowds than the Grizzlies.

Besides, that game against GS was one of our highest attendance numbers of the season thus far.

Well both really. The tone on the board has seemed exceptionally negative this year for some reason. This thread, for example, has received virtually no attention, while other "complaint" threads seem to get page after page of replies.

And the game attendance has been very mediocre thus far. Coming off our Playoff success last year, I thought this was going to be the season Memphis would finally come out and support its NBA team. Yet it's still been a struggle to even get a decent crowd out to non-marquee games. Our last game, for example, had an announced attendance for 14,000. Considering our record, and the fact that it was the last game for over a week, I thought there would be at least 16-17K in the house.

I hate to say it, but I just really don't think Memphis is an NBA city. Unless it's a Playoff game or a game against a high-profile opponent, we can never sell out the Forum. It's sad but true.

Geoff Calkins said it best when he referred to Memphis as a relatively small and relatively poor city.

Like he said; Memphis will continue to face a challenge to adequately support all it's sports venues, both citizen and corporate wise.

Particularly the major ones like the NBA, the Men's and Women's Tennis tournaments, Men's PGA Tour Stop, and the Liberty Bowl game.

The Triple A Redbirds have suffered a decline in attendance. Only the Memphis Tigers basketball are a safe bet to keep their status as a top Division 1 program. The University of Memphis isn't moving anywhere.

Memphis is not a bad sports town. It's just has a lot of sport teams and their venues to support. And considering our demographics, we do pretty well -> (1.3 million METRO population and about 25% people living at or below the poverty level in the city, whose city/county population makes up aprox 75% of it's total metro population).

This is the Delta, well known for it's high poverty level, and our Mid South region consist of only West Tennessee as well as two of the poorest states in the Nation. (Arkansas and Mississippi)

Gonna have to continue to grit and grind in more ways than one.

Geoff Calkins said it best when he referred to Memphis as a relatively small and relatively poor city.

Like he said; Memphis will continue to face a challenge to adequately support all it's sports venues, both citizen and corporate wise.

Particularly the major ones like the NBA, the Men's and Women's Tennis tournaments, Men's PGA Tour Stop, and the Liberty Bowl game.

The Triple A Redbirds have suffered a decline in attendance. Only the Memphis Tigers basketball are a safe bet to keep their status as a top Division 1 program. The University of Memphis isn't moving anywhere.

Memphis is not a bad sports town. It's just has a lot of sport teams and their venues to support. And considering our demographics, we do pretty well -> (1.3 million METRO population and about 25% people living at or below the poverty level in the city, whose city/county population makes up aprox 75% of it's total metro population).

This is the Delta, well known for it's high poverty level, and our Mid South region consist of only West Tennessee as well as two of the poorest states in the Nation. (Arkansas and Mississippi)

Gonna have to continue to grit and grind in more ways than one.

Paul Allen owns the Trailblazers. He is in the top 10 richest in the US. (Was #3 behind Buffett and Gates. Co-founder of Microsoft.)

Heisley has money but not Paul Allen level money. I agree with your premise. Plus a LOT of Griz dollars wind up in Tunica.

As far as attendance is concerned, last night against a lower lever sub .500 Detroit Piston team, over 17K were at the FEF. I think that was pretty darn good. As is the case with many here, I have League Pass and I watch many games and I think Memphis holds it own with a lot of NBA cities that have way more population to draw from. Plus, many of those cities dont have a Div 1 college basketball team that it also supports with Top 10 attendance in the NCAA's.

No, Memphis is not going to put 20K in FEF every night like Chicago does, but Chicago has 5x the population base and has 6 titles and a huge fan base built by Michael Jordan et al.

I am a relative newbie when it comes to the Grizzlies compared to most of you, but in the 3 years that I have had season tickets, I can say that this year, the crowds have been noticeably larger on average than in the 3 previous seasons. The playoff run last year forged a bond with the city and I think the Grizz are becoming a larger part of the fabric of Memphis's culture. I see more Grizz apparel this year than ever. I hear more talk around the city about the Grizzlies. Co workers talk about the team more. I think Memphis is doing fine.

I think after this season people will get tired of watching the Tigers lose to teams like UTEP and when the Grizzlies do well in the playoffs they will start to move up to NBA watchers. Memphis is such a fairweather fan city. But it's understandable I guess....everyone wants to feel the satisfaction of winning.

I want to bring up something that I noticed and I don't mean to stir up anything and it may just be me and my habit of becoming easily annoyed but does it bother anyone else when they see others at the game with other sports teams jerseys on?? I just think it's a little strange to do this. Even Tigers jerseys. I see a lot of people wearing Tigers jerseys and gear to the Grizzlies game. I've seen Tennessee Vols wear and all sorts of different things....Perhaps these people are just wearing them like normal clothes.....but when I go to the game I'm particular with what I wear. Just wanted to know if anyone else is bothered by this. Thanks.

I think after this season people will get tired of watching the Tigers lose to teams like UTEP and when the Grizzlies do well in the playoffs they will start to move up to NBA watchers. Memphis is such a fairweather fan city. But it's understandable I guess....everyone wants to feel the satisfaction of winning.

I want to bring up something that I noticed and I don't mean to stir up anything and it may just be me and my habit of becoming easily annoyed but does it bother anyone else when they see others at the game with other sports teams jerseys on?? I just think it's a little strange to do this. Even Tigers jerseys. I see a lot of people wearing Tigers jerseys and gear to the Grizzlies game. I've seen Tennessee Vols wear and all sorts of different things....Perhaps these people are just wearing them like normal clothes.....but when I go to the game I'm particular with what I wear. Just wanted to know if anyone else is bothered by this. Thanks.

I had Tiger season tickets before the griz came to town. I saw the Hawks play Wilt at Ellis Auditorium. I graduated from UT Knoxville. I like to see arenas all blue, all white, all black, all orange. Until the Griz have a little more something like Celtic Pride, I'm ok with a little diversity. (A little annoyed when they wear the enemy colors!!!) Stir away. That will help move us toward the day when every night is like the playoffs.

The most annoying thing I've encountered (besides being in the Ole Miss section and getting a cup of beer down my back) was having my season ticket next to a southern bell with a twang SCREAMING at the refs, "HE FOWWWLLLEDHIM< REF.) every NIGHT

I can't speak for the Vols or other teams' gear, but I know that some people don't have any Grizz gear, so they closest thing they can wear is Memphis Tigers gear, and that doesn't bother me. It's Memphis, after all, and they are supporting the teams.

yeah...i thought about it a little and at least they are there at the game and that is the most important thing I suppose. Next step is to buy that Grizzlies Jersey or hat.

Man this is a long stint w/o any games and watching the other teams not helping our cause at all...Heat lose to both Utah and Lakers...Sac lose to Denver after being up 4 with like 20 seconds left. Unbeleiveable

yeah...i thought about it a little and at least they are there at the game and that is the most important thing I suppose. Next step is to buy that Grizzlies Jersey or hat.

Man this is a long stint w/o any games and watching the other teams not helping our cause at all...Heat lose to both Utah and Lakers...Sac lose to Denver after being up 4 with like 20 seconds left. Unbeleiveable

Heck yeah, when I want the Heat to win, they lose those 2 games to Western Conference teams. And the Sac game didnt help at all. We need Denver to rack up as many losses at possible.

Glad we are getting back on the floor tonight. We really need to grab any "Ws" we can before Mar 20th because its gets brutal after that.

Best regular season winning percentage in franchise history.

First playoff home court advantage in franchise history.

The 3YP is working!!

What would we have looked like if we had been healthy? Probably 6-8 more wins, battling with OKC for the 2 seed or maybe even SA for the 1??? That is crazy. And Hollins is only mentioned casually as a "possible" for third place consideration in the COY race?

Best regular season winning percentage in franchise history.

First playoff home court advantage in franchise history.

The 3YP is working!!

What would we have looked like if we had been healthy? Probably 6-8 more wins, battling with OKC for the 2 seed or maybe even SA for the 1??? That is crazy. And Hollins is only mentioned casually as a "possible" for third place consideration in the COY race?

We tied with the Lakers for third best record in the west. The attendance is climbing. We are tied for third in the league with a 26 - 7 home record.

If you build......

Not the start I wanted, but this is nothing new.

We're tied for our best start since the franchise has moved to Memphis for this time of year! ;)

Off to our best start since 2005! :P

Honestly though, I think we look really good. We REALLY looked solid against MIL tonight. All the starters played well, the bench produced, and we cruised to an easy W. I know it's early, but based on what I'm seeing so far, I think we're in for a pretty darn good season, folks!

GTG, you are in your 3rd season as a active poster on this forum. I really like how you have grown as a poster. Seriously.

GTG, you are in your 3rd season with the Grizz. I really like how you have grown as a poster. Seriously.

Pretty sure he was a fan before joining the boards, if my memory serves...

If that's what you meant. Anyways, I agree! Far cry from his Thabust days!

GTG, you are in your 3rd season as a active poster on this forum. I really like how you have grown as a poster. Seriously.

This is an odd thing to say, but I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly.

I still think his account has been hacked. :lol:

So we are tied for the best start in franchise history, eh? Definitely the best start since being in Memphis. Good stuff, but we have to keep it up!

So we are tied for the best start in franchise history, eh? Definitely the best start since being in Memphis. Good stuff, but we have to keep it up!

I am so happy, especially being a Falcons fan too, after so many crap seasons finally both my teams are the best they've ever been and have the best starts ever in the same year, so happy.. :wub:sob sniff sniff