Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilojmayo

" I'm Back, My mind is Clear" says OJ Mayo

I see you've improved your English. Now, instead of sounding like a retarded ape, you just sound stupid. Woot! Way to go, kiddo.

Wow, that's a good way to win an argument... Criticizing the English of a poster who is not a native speaker. :rolleyes:

That says all we need to know about you. Way to take away any bit of credibility you had in your argument...

What the hell's with the aggression on here? I think we need a "calm down turbo"...

And what does any of this banter have to do with OJ? The thread is about him, after all. He's looked a whole heck of a lot better as of late, and I hope he continues to bring it playoff time.

You have to go to long to make sense? My english still bad;how many languages you could speak,fanplayer?

Well, I speak Serbian-Croatish (mother's), German (lived there six years), and am in the process of trying to learn a little Spanish since I may move to Los Angeles. Even after learning these languages, I still had enough "hard drive space" left to learn English. ;)

Don't be angry because I was right. Conley's potential was higher than Mayo's and he's proven he's the better player now. Make every excuse in the book, but you'll learn soon enough player's don't miraculously get better with more playing time. Either they've always been effective (even in limited minutes) or they haven't. Mayo put up fantastic stats, but his advanced statistics showed he wasn't as good as the numbers appeared. Hell, Ricky Davis would have put up 25 a night if given the opportunity to shoot so much.

Wow, that's a good way to win an argument... Criticizing the English of a poster who is not a native speaker. :rolleyes:

That says all we need to know about you. Way to take away any bit of credibility you had in your argument...

Wait, I'm getting lectured by the biggest joke on the message board? The same guy who's mocking another forum member? Whoop-de-do. My life doesn't revolve around having credibility on a **** message board, but my statistical analysis would surely be more valuable than your comedic relief, kid.

What the hell's with the aggression on here? I think we need a "calm down turbo"...

And what does any of this banter have to do with OJ? The thread is about him, after all. He's looked a whole heck of a lot better as of late, and I hope he continues to bring it playoff time.

No doubt, there's a hostility on this message board. Once I mentioned my opinion about O.J. Mayo, I got attacked DESPITE being a Grizzlies fan who's repeatedly been correct on his predictions.

As for Mayo, I want him to do well but his advanced stats don't correlate to him being anything more than a marginal player. He's 23 now and he's about on par with Wesley Johnson in terms of what they bring to the floor, nothing but an occasional hot night shooting the ball. I wish it was different, and I was a big time believer before jumping into advanced statistics, but since delving into the deep-end of the pool, I've realized stats lie (a lot).

The guy who's going to be the x-factor is Mike Conley. He's capable of turning it up a notch, if for no other reason than the fact that the Grizzlies' bigs will have a lot of attention focused their way, thus allowing him to look to score more.

EDIT

Here's the Basketball-Reference player comparison between Wesley Johnson and O.J. Mayo.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-i...e01&y2=2011

Now take a look at their PER 36. These guys play the same amount of minutes and are virtually identical in terms of their statistical "impact" on games. Neither is consider even close to average (0.100 W/S per 48), both are below average defenders, and provide nothing outside of jump shooting on the offensive end. The truth hurts. Also, there is excuse about Mayo's age. He's the same age as Wesley Johnson and has no distinctive advantage athletically as to provide the mythical "higher ceiling" argument.

Need some toilet paper for that crap that your spewing?

Props for the Kevin Love fan for coming into Grizzly territory. Let's welcome all bandwagoners/haters, OJ going to keep them coming and coming fast this weekend.

As for Mayo, I want him to do well but his advanced stats don't correlate to him being anything more than a marginal player. He's 23 now and he's about on par with Wesley Johnson in terms of what they bring to the floor, nothing but an occasional hot night shooting the ball. I wish it was different, and I was a big time believer before jumping into advanced statistics, but since delving into the deep-end of the pool, I've realized stats lie (a lot).

EDIT

Here's the Basketball-Reference player comparison between Wesley Johnson and O.J. Mayo.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-i...e01&y2=2011

Now take a look at their PER 36. These guys play the same amount of minutes and are virtually identical in terms of their statistical "impact" on games. Neither is consider even close to average (0.100 W/S per 48), both are below average defenders, and provide nothing outside of jump shooting on the offensive end. The truth hurts. Also, there is excuse about Mayo's age. He's the same age as Wesley Johnson and has no distinctive advantage athletically as to provide the mythical "higher ceiling" argument.

Hold on...this does not jive with what lilojmayo has been telling me all season.

Hold on...this does not jive with what lilojmayo has been telling me all season.

OJ_MAYO_6081.jpg

What do your eyes tell you? You know a superstar potential when you see one. This weekend it is going down

OJ_MAYO_6081.jpg

What do your eyes tell you? You know a superstar potential when you see one. This weekend it is going down

You know, I still find it humorous how you conveniently disappear every time Mayo performs badly (which occurs quite often), but the minute he has a good game, you fire up the 'ole campaign again. :lol:

You still haven't explained the reason as to why OJ struggles with inconsistency on the offensive end. You'd think a superstar would be able to put up similar numbers on a game to game basis.

Wait, I'm getting lectured by the biggest joke on the message board? The same guy who's mocking another forum member? Whoop-de-do.

Exactly. When your low blows are even lower than I'm willing to go, that's pretty bad.

My life doesn't revolve around having credibility on a **** message board,

Yet you reference my "standing" on this board? Get your argument straight.

but my statistical analysis would surely be more valuable than your comedic relief, kid.

I have not seen any real "statistical analysis" from you at all. What I have seen though, is you regurgitating stats you found on the internet and throwing out some hypothetical BS numbers based solely on your opinion. By the way, I hold degrees in physics and mathematics and stats are a day to day part of my job, so forgive me for not kneeling down before your statistical prowess.

No doubt, there's a hostility on this message board. Once I mentioned my opinion about O.J. Mayo, I got attacked DESPITE being a Grizzlies fan who's repeatedly been correct on his predictions.

Anybody can come on here with a marginal number of posts and claim they've been making all these "great predictions" all along...

As for Mayo, I want him to do well but his advanced stats don't correlate to him being anything more than a marginal player.

Wow there is so much crap in this one sentence. Even with as bad as he's playing this year he is not a marginal player. At the least he's shown to be a solid player. Not marginal. So now all of a sudden he's just as good as Wes Johnson even though in the past he's shown that he is a good player. Not marginal. Not saying he's the next superstar but what you're saying is stupid.

Anybody can come on here with a marginal number of posts and claim they've been making all these "great predictions" all along...

Especially when some clown can make a claim about a player who is 23 who is having a down year even though he has played very well in the past all of a sudden will be garbage for the rest of his career.

Hey guys, don't worry about responding to kevinLove4MVP tonight...

Obviously it is past the kiddo's bedtime, so we can get back to the topic on hand.

Retrospectively, it does look like Minnesota "won" the trade right now based solely on statistics. On the flip side of that, if we had drafted Love, I imagine it would have still severely reduced the likelihood of us trading for ZBo... Not to mention that Love has not had an opportunity to prove what he can do on a competitive team.

But I want to skew the OJ vs. Love debate a little bit... Who would you have rather had on our team this season?

My vote is OJ. He went through a drought and seems to be the better for it. With our current roster, either player would be playing as a 6th man, and in that role I prefer OJ.

Love is a good player, but if he were on our team he would be stuck behind ZBo and Gasol, who have solidified their spots in our rotation, giving Love minimal minutes and less time to develop.

In his current role, OJ is an ideal player for us off the bench when he plays to his potential. So, in my eyes, both teams "won" that trade.

I for one, am ecstatic to see OJ Mayo playing like he should have been playing all season.

One big positive out of all this is OJ's defense is a lot better now. He's still not great on ball but he's being way more active- a product of the TA effect,imo.

I just hope OJ gets on a hotstreak in the playoffs and starts lighting people up like we know he can. Would love to see him go off from deep.

its amazing this team is winning w/out Rudy and OJ in a limited role. Who'd a thunk it a year ago?

One big positive out of all this is OJ's defense is a lot better now. He's still not great on ball but he's being way more active- a product of the TA effect,imo.

I just hope OJ gets on a hotstreak in the playoffs and starts lighting people up like we know he can. Would love to see him go off from deep.

its amazing this team is winning w/out Rudy and OJ in a limited role. Who'd a thunk it a year ago?

I want OJ to be aggressive. Take a couple 3s once he gets warmed up. Run his defender through and around some screens and catch and shoot. I like his little step back shot from about 12 feet. Sure, he is going to miss a couple but I want him to be aggressive.

If the pass to the wide open man is there, then fine. But for the most part, he doenst need to try to make the quick interior pass to somebody in the lane. Let them set up for a rebound. They aren't looking for him to pass, so he needs to shoot. Many times he attempts the pass and the ball goes off their unready hands and is turned over.

I am hoping he can put a couple games together like that. We are so desparately going to need that because Zach is about to be put on a steady diet of double teams.

I hope MC, Greivis, and Ish will at least look for OJ or Shane set up in the corner. As it has been noted, our PGs have been looking for the cutter/slasher i.e. Tony and Sam and that is fine. But I notice that Greivis for example hardly ever looks for a wide open OJ in the corner or Shane for that matter. OJ and Shane can make that shot. But they need the ball in their hands.

We are going to have to have some type of threat from beyond the paint. Its just like Shane said, in the playoffs, the defense will take away the paint--especially the Lakers. So we need OJ and Shane to be able to get their shots from beyond the arc

Well, I speak Serbian-Croatish (mother's), German (lived there six years), and am in the process of trying to learn a little Spanish since I may move to Los Angeles. Even after learning these languages, I still had enough "hard drive space" left to learn English. ;)

Don't be angry because I was right. Conley's potential was higher than Mayo's and he's proven he's the better player now. Make every excuse in the book, but you'll learn soon enough player's don't miraculously get better with more playing time. Either they've always been effective (even in limited minutes) or they haven't. Mayo put up fantastic stats, but his advanced statistics showed he wasn't as good as the numbers appeared. Hell, Ricky Davis would have put up 25 a night if given the opportunity to shoot so much.

Good for you. I imagine that. That's why I ask first of all. But I get angry not because your point about Conley and OJ. But because you have to attack me to make your point. If you are a Grizzlies fan you should hope OJ do great in playoffs... And I start this thing just because you are; just what you saying I am... a fanplayer first, but in my case I actually stay in my place, Grizzlies board; but you probably will not have much action around your boards in the next couple of days, so I understand your necessity to stay around. Keep watching OJ and the Grizzlies doing their best on playoffs and enjoy your MIP.

Go Grizzlies!!!

Well, it was another sub-par offense outing for OJ last night.

He hit a couple of jumpers, but I swear the dude can't make anything within 10 feet of the basket. I counted at least 2 or 3 misses from point blank range.

This is why I worry about OJ (no, I don't "hate" him, I worry). With the amount of minutes he got, plus the amount of looks he had, this was perhaps Mayo's best opportunity of the season to take control of the game and show us what he can do. He took a lot of shots, but he just couldn't convert.

Plus his ball handling skills are still atrocious.

You're really rolling the dice when you play OJ. He's insanely inconsistent, and I truly believe that hurts us more than it helps.

You're really rolling the dice when you play OJ. He's insanely inconsistent, and I truly believe that hurts us more than it helps.

Yeah he definitely hurts us more than he helps us, lets make him the 12th man and play Greivis backup SG...

Yeah he definitely hurts us more than he helps us, lets make him the 12th man and play Greivis backup SG...

Or we can just go large.

Sub Sam out for Shane, then sub Sam back in at SG for Allen.

The stage has finally been set.

OJ going to need to play huge for this upset to occur.

OJ Mayo..... The hype is about to be real. Let's shock the world and shut the haters up

The stage has finally been set.

OJ going to need to play huge for this upset to occur.

OJ Mayo..... The hype is about to be real. Let's shock the world and shut the haters up

I hope he goes for 30......GO GRIZZ!!

I hope he goes for 30......GO GRIZZ!!

Come on now, OJ doesn't get enough touches to score that amount. He just gotta knock down shots, and find the open bigs and not turn the rock over.

That's all we can ask of him to do.