Sign in to follow this  
memphis slim

what a call (back again)

Joey Crawford always finds a way to mess with Memphis. I'll never forget that game at the Pyramid against Golden State. Pathetic.

I think the Battier tech was more of a misunderstanding than a bad call. The foul was already called on Powe, and I don't think Battier heard the whistle. So with him doing that after the play being dead did look excessive and I can see why the ref called the tech. I don't think Battier is that aggressive if he hears the whistle.

Yeah, but I think Shane was just trying to make certain the ball didn't go in and let them get an "and one" call like they usually call against us.

I think the Battier tech was more of a misunderstanding than a bad call. The foul was already called on Powe, and I don't think Battier heard the whistle. So with him doing that after the play being dead did look excessive and I can see why the ref called the tech. I don't think Battier is that aggressive if he hears the whistle.

If I'm a coach, Battier did exactly what I would have wanted him to do - stop the layup. If Asif didn't want to get fouled HE should have stopped playing after the whistle blew. As horrid as officiating is, they may have very well called the continuation on the play even though the ref missed the over the back call from the jump.

i truly think i have seen it all now.

this entire ref'g crew should be fined and suspended for some games.

good job violet.

unreal.

all of that being said, we played horrible down the stretch of every qtr and never closed the game out. luckily, everyone else lost too. might be a good lesson for us down the last stretch of games.

slim.

i truly think i have seen it all now.

this entire ref'g crew should be fined and suspended for some games.

good job violet.

unreal.

all of that being said, we played horrible down the stretch of every qtr and never closed the game out. luckily, everyone else lost too. might be a good lesson for us down the last stretch of games.

slim.

granted. In a way, this may help the Grizzlies refocus and get back to giving great effort from the get go.

In a way, I wouldnt mind getting the 8th seed anyway for obvious reasons. So hopefully the team will get something positive out of all the crap that happened last night.

As far as the call or calls go, I really dont understand how the league could explain that, but in all likelihood, they wont have to. I really dont understand how those refs can feel good about how they handled that situation. He!!, if it was a block (and it wasnt) then let Bledsoe shoot FTs. But that just doesnt make sense and I cant see how the director of officials could justify it.

how was it that gasol was taken down without an intentional today?

collison with the take down- no intention of getting the ball?

as long as we can get the same benefit, so be it.

slim.

how was it that gasol was taken down without an intentional today?

collison with the take down- no intention of getting the ball?

as long as we can get the same benefit, so be it.

slim.

I don't think it was intentional.

What bothered me was the refs calling all of those cheap fouls late in the game trying to get OKC back in it. Mike Conley did not even touch Westbrook's arm on that 3 attempt.

I think its fairly obvious now that we're going to be fighting our opponent(s) along with the officials for the remainder of our Playoff run. They just don't want to give us a break. Even though today's game wasn't quite as bad as some of the San Antonio games, you could still tell the refs were somewhat favoring OKC.

We just need to keep fighting through it.

On a side note, I think this is the first time I've ever seen Joey Crawford officiate a game in which he didn't issue a technical foul to someone. :lol:

I don't think it was intentional.

What bothered me was the refs calling all of those cheap fouls late in the game trying to get OKC back in it. Mike Conley did not even touch Westbrook's arm on that 3 attempt.

Well, you gotta give the refs props for effort. They tried to give OKC the win up until the very end. :lol:

If you watch the play DA gets hit first on the Defensive end and then on the way up the court DA just kinda tags dude in the back and he gets a foul call. Then later on Perkins just elbow strikes (Tae kwon do style) Marc in the chest and gets nothing......oh well.....

the tech on da was one of the worst calls i have ever seen.

the light bump called against him then took a 3 away from shane. they come down and hit a 3.

6 pt swing. add in the bs tech.

give me a break refs. are we serious?

we lost the game- i can live with that.

but don't let k-cheeseburger&fries-perkins throw a shove and a no call. absurd.

slim.

If you watch the play DA gets hit first on the Defensive end and then on the way up the court DA just kinda tags dude in the back and he gets a foul call. Then later on Perkins just elbow strikes (Tae kwon do style) Marc in the chest and gets nothing......oh well.....

the tech on da was one of the worst calls i have ever seen.

the light bump called against him then took a 3 away from shane. they come down and hit a 3.

6 pt swing. add in the bs tech.

give me a break refs. are we serious?

we lost the game- i can live with that.

but don't let k-cheeseburger&fries-perkins throw a shove and a no call. absurd.

slim.

There were at least 2 or 3 instances where Perkins should have been issued his second technical and ejected. The incident with Gasol was the most obvious. Perkins is probably the biggest punk in the league and the refs let him get away with his crap most of the time. Its sickening.

And I completely agree about DA. NO WAY ON EARTH is that a technical foul in the NBA Playoffs. And it seemed as though they were specifically looking for something to call to wave off that 3 by Shane.

We definitely didn't play that well, and OKC was on fire, but the refs wanted to make certain the Thunder got the win.

We definitely didn't play that well, and OKC was on fire, but the refs wanted to make certain the Thunder got the win.

Yeah there was no way David Stern was going to allow the Golden Team to go down 2-0 coming back to Memphis almost ensuring a sweep. Ratings make money.

i am not going to come on here and bicker about a tough, intense playoff game and nitpick about particular calls.

however, i will complain about one issue:

the obvious strike by kendrick 'cheeseburger' perkins on gasol as he came down from a shot.

it was obvious that he swung his arms down in a striking motion and caught gasol in the face.

he then threw his arms up as if to say- not me..

he should have been t'd at the least.

dwight howard was t'd for just such a play this year in the post-season.

i respect okcity's team, but i do not and cannot respect cheeseburger.

bush league.

slim.

i am not going to come on here and bicker about a tough, intense playoff game and nitpick about particular calls.

however, i will complain about one issue:

the obvious strike by kendrick 'cheeseburger' perkins on gasol as he came down from a shot.

it was obvious that he swung his arms down in a striking motion and caught gasol in the face.

he then threw his arms up as if to say- not me..

he should have been t'd at the least.

dwight howard was t'd for just such a play this year in the post-season.

i respect okcity's team, but i do not and cannot respect cheeseburger.

bush league.

slim.

You're kidding, right? If I'm a Grizzlies fan, of COURSE I'd have a deep dislike for Kendrick Perkins. But you can't be so blind as to not see the log in your own eye, can you? Randolph gets away with thuggish, boarish tactics that remind experienced NBA fans of the days of Lambeer and Mahorn. The little forearm shivers in the back to gain rebounding position. The jersey grabs on the off-side of the ref's view. He's a master at this stuff. And this Thunder fan takes it in stride. It's his game and he's GREAT at it. But he also hammered Collison in the face last night in almost identical fashion to what you describe "cheeseburger" as doing, and then the refs called a technical on COLLISON when he slapped the ball out of Randolph's hands in frustration. Collison NEVER does stuff like that, but noone gets away with the tactics that Randolph gets away with, and when Randolph slugged him, Collison reflexively responded and HE got teched. ABSURD.

Let's just agree that this is a great, physical series between two gritty, resiliant teams and let's just agree that the refs are going to do the best they can to keep it from getting out of hand and live with their results. OK?

Let's just agree that this is a great, physical series between two gritty, resiliant teams and let's just agree that the refs are going to do the best they can to keep it from getting out of hand and live with their results. OK?

i have no problem at all with collison or his play. nor do i with ibaka...

certainly, zbo bumps and, yes, he shoves in the back on occasion.

however, i have yet to see him intentionally pull the cheeseburger tactic.

it was absurd. nba.com has it posted on the list of videos with the series.

im not griping about rough play or looking for certain calls.

i am saying that that particular play was well beyond a cheap shot and would have caused a riot on the blacktops of memphis or okcity.

each time- if you notice- zbo does make contact that you describe, he always goes over to the opposing player and makes sure they are ok and expresses his acknowledgement of his deed. perkins did not do that and i think it was bush league.

all for a grind-out war, but the cheap shot he threw was absurd.

slim.

There were three and-one's called where, upon review of the replay on the jumbo-tron, it was obvious to 18,000+ in the arena that there was absolutely no contact whatsoever. With Westbrook, Hardin and Durrant going to the basket as much as they do, refs 1) start anticipating fouls and 2) will call a touch/no-touch foul to get some player to not dislike them (believe it) and 3) give a guy a call just because he's an all-star.

What I did like was Shane Battier giving one ref an earful about Durrant pushing off to get open. I've never seen him that animated with an official. I guess after 10 years, he's earned the right to jaw.

OS

There were three and-one's called where, upon review of the replay on the jumbo-tron, it was obvious to 18,000+ in the arena that there was absolutely no contact whatsoever. With Westbrook, Hardin and Durrant going to the basket as much as they do, refs 1) start anticipating fouls and 2) will call a touch/no-touch foul to get some player to not dislike them (believe it) and 3) give a guy a call just because he's an all-star.

What I did like was Shane Battier giving one ref an earful about Durrant pushing off to get open. I've never seen him that animated with an official. I guess after 10 years, he's earned the right to jaw.

OS

This is a general complaint of the NBA. In the lane big guys are allowed to make an incredible amount of body contact in order to block the shot, and little guys coming in to block the shot are immune to being called for a foul.

However, touch fouls are called on the perimeter, and if a driving permeter player bashes into a defender, 70% of the time, the defender is called for body contact (98% of the time if the player is D. Wade).

This is not limited to this series by any means, you could see it in LA, in Orlando, in Miami, etc.

Kevin Durant plays 57 minutes in a game where 90 FTs are shot, and is not called for a single foul on the defensive end. he ended up with 2 personals, one a frustration push off on battier, and the second a push in the back of TA going for an offensive put back.

Westbrook plays 3 overtimes with 5 fouls and Conley gets fouled out on a hand check on james harden.

Kevin Durant plays 57 minutes in a game where 90 FTs are shot, and is not called for a single foul on the defensive end. he ended up with 2 personals, one a frustration push off on battier, and the second a push in the back of TA going for an offensive put back.

Westbrook plays 3 overtimes with 5 fouls and Conley gets fouled out on a hand check on james harden.

Exactly.

It not about how many fouls are called its about when they are called. The fouls called against the Grizzlies were huge momentum killers in this game. Plenty of and ones in this series missed in critical junctures of the game mostly during Grizzlies runs especially in the 2nd quarter of this game when the Thunder went to the line 15 times.

Every one is complaing about Durant went to the line only 1 time in game 3 but I've read plenty of box scores for Z-bo read 1-1 from the FT line and he plays as hard and is as aggresive as any one in the league. People may like Durant... but I don't... his game is weak and IMO he doesn't "earn" FTs he is given FTs. That little arm sling he does....WEAK!!!!!!

It was way too many fouls called in this game period but way too many momentum stopping fouls against us.

You're kidding, right? If I'm a Grizzlies fan, of COURSE I'd have a deep dislike for Kendrick Perkins. But you can't be so blind as to not see the log in your own eye, can you? Randolph gets away with thuggish, boarish tactics that remind experienced NBA fans of the days of Lambeer and Mahorn. The little forearm shivers in the back to gain rebounding position. The jersey grabs on the off-side of the ref's view. He's a master at this stuff. And this Thunder fan takes it in stride. It's his game and he's GREAT at it. But he also hammered Collison in the face last night in almost identical fashion to what you describe "cheeseburger" as doing, and then the refs called a technical on COLLISON when he slapped the ball out of Randolph's hands in frustration. Collison NEVER does stuff like that, but noone gets away with the tactics that Randolph gets away with, and when Randolph slugged him, Collison reflexively responded and HE got teched. ABSURD.

That's not "Absurd" that Collison got the Tech....you can't slap the ball out of a players hands like the way he did.....and I will add.....Randolf did in fact pick up a foul for that move. Perkins on the other hand didn't get called for anything when he purposefully hit Gasol.

I do agree w/ your second point that this is a physical series and the refs will try to do their best.

Can we lose a game without blaming refs?

This is the play-offs. Play is going to physical. The game is played at a fast pace. Referees are human. Both sides have bad calls against them.

Get over it. No one is out to screw the Grizz. That's speaks to paranoia. Grab a beer, or a beverage of your choice. Relax; it's just a game.

This is the page where you can find the incident that Memphis Slim refers to.

Once on the page click on Game 3 and find the video titled Perkins Working Down Low.

It doesn't appear that Perkins intentionally slapped Gasol across the face on the play and no technical seems appropriate to me. Sorry but this is the playoffs and you have to accept some physical play down low. I could understand the refs not giving Perkins the basket since the fouling occured prior to him going up for a shot.

Can we lose a game without blaming refs?

This is the play-offs. Play is going to physical. The game is played at a fast pace. Referees are human. Both sides have bad calls against them.

Get over it. No one is out to screw the Grizz. That's speaks to paranoia. Grab a beer, or a beverage of your choice. Relax; it's just a game.

Thats true but the way the refs are officiating this series benefits the Thunder more than the Grizzlies. They let them fight in the paint but call touch fouls on the perimeter and touch fouls on jump shots. That style of officiating takes away our strengths and fit what the Thunder style is perfectly.

Thats true but the way the refs are officiating this series benefits the Thunder more than the Grizzlies. They let them fight in the paint but call touch fouls on the perimeter and touch fouls on jump shots. That style of officiating takes away our strengths and fit what the Thunder style is perfectly.

If what you're saying is right, wouldn't that kind of balance things out? The refs "letting them fight in the paint" favors the physical Grizz post players; the "touch fouls on the perimeter and jump shots" favors the Thunder.

If what you're saying is right, wouldn't that kind of balance things out? The refs "letting them fight in the paint" favors the physical Grizz post players; the "touch fouls on the perimeter and jump shots" favors the Thunder.

It would if The Grizzlies got the same calls on the outside but we don't. Its not just this series but the whole season. We lead the NBA in points in the paint but had no one one the team in the top 20 in FT attemps. How do explain that one? There is alot more fouling that goes on in the paint than on the perimeter. It is this type of officiating that allows a paper thin lil boy body guy like Kevin Durant and Kevin Martin to be effective in a man's league ;)