Sign in to follow this  
Granttis

Lorenzen Wright

I only check the boards once a day or so to make sure I am not missing any big news during the off-season. I mean, we can only read SO many PMI trade ideas!!

Having said that, I am as excited about this Grizz season as I have been in about 5 years. I only made the trip to about 4 or 5 games last year, hoping to have reason to make that 10+ this year.

agreed with everything except this, Ren will always be a Memphis Grizz/Tiger

No disrespect. I just meant that this thread has become about Sherri Wright and the G'town and C'ville cops and the media reporting and lilojmayo and this, that, and the other. The first, I don't know, 5-6 pages were perfectly appropriate and actually quite moving. Ren, the player and the man, definitely deserves his own thread to say the least.

Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it:

Memorial service open to the public set for Wednesday at the FEF.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/wright_m...ice-100730.html

screenshot20100730at752.png

I haven't seen it, thanks, hope that place is packed.

A very classy gesture by the Griz and Wright family. I wish I could go. Hopefully, someone form the board will provide details.

A very classy gesture by the Griz and Wright family.

agreed.

great to see the organization do this for the city, university and the family.

still so hard to believe..

thank you to all those associated with the griz for this classy gesture.

slim.

What do you guys think about retiring #42. The Grizzlies are one of the few teams in the league without any numbers retired and while Ren may not have been your prototypical number retirement candidate, he is, in every sense, the original Memphis Grizzly. Just as Ren was the first to ever don the Memphis Grizzlies jersey, I think it would only be fitting if his number was the first to ever be retired in Memphis.

What do you guys think about retiring #42. The Grizzlies are one of the few teams in the league without any numbers retired and while Ren may not have been your prototypical number retirement candidate, he is, in every sense, the original Memphis Grizzly. Just as Ren was the first to ever don the Memphis Grizzlies jersey, I think it would only be fitting if his number was the first to ever be retired in Memphis.

I don't know about an offical retirment of it, but hanging it in the rafters, along with his Tiger jersey would be very nice. Maybe let it be a long time before anyone wears that number.

I agree with everything you said. He meant more to the City of Memphis and the Grizzlies than his career numbers. He was also on the squad that lead the Grizzlies to their first ever playoff birth.

I wondered about that. Why did he change his number from 55 to 42 and then back to 55 again? I've thought maybe some other player had 55 before he joined the team but it doesn't look like it. Big Country was 50 right? He was 55 everywhere except the Grizzlies and Hawks.

I wondered about that. Why did he change his number from 55 to 42 and then back to 55 again? I've thought maybe some other player had 55 before he joined the team but it doesn't look like it. Big Country was 50 right? He was 55 everywhere except the Grizzlies and Hawks.

i think jwill was 55 or was that in sac??

Jwill wore 2 here, I have the jersey in my closet.

Yep, Jwill wore 55 in Sac then came here and wore 2, then went to the Heat and wore 55.

Lorenzen wore 55 in ATL then came here and wore 42, then I think he wore 55 in Cleveland.

What is it about players not wearing the #55 for the Grizz? :blink:

Well, this explains it some, it's a quote from his brother Lou Wright....

"That's his high school number(42), only reason he wore 55 is if they didn't have 42. so yeah, 42 we try to keep that going in the family tradition," said Lou.

So he wore 55 in college because David Vaughn was 42.

Here's a list of Grizz jersey numbers Ren has been the only one to wear 42 so far.

just got back from the memorial at the forum. it was surreal.

all would have been proud of heisley and elliot's brief talks.

this is one time we should all be very proud of our organization. very classy act and they did it right..

slim.

just got back from the memorial at the forum. it was surreal.

all would have been proud of heisley and elliot's brief talks.

this is one time we should all be very proud of our organization. very classy act and they did it right..

slim.

How big was it? Who else was there?

How big was it? Who else was there?

floor was pretty much full with family & friends.

they had the entire lower bowl open and it was not a bad crowd at all. press area up top was packed as well.

great music.

saw coach pastner in the very back.

gayle rose had a very touching speech as well.

i could not see any players, but im sure the place was packed with them.

slim.

floor was pretty much full with family & friends.

they had the entire lower bowl open and it was not a bad crowd at all. press area up top was packed as well.

great music.

saw coach pastner in the very back.

gayle rose had a very touching speech as well.

i could not see any players, but im sure the place was packed with them.

slim.

Thanks. It was nice of you to go.

Police Chief Larry Goodwin said authorities have “nothing significant to tell us otherwise.”

Goodwin said that while the family has questions about foul play, the department has no such evidence at this point.

“There’s been nothing reported to us to lead us to believe otherwise, other than the fact that he’s done this before, but not quite as long,” the chief said.

the above was taken from the ca article on july 26th..

it is from the collierville police chief....

it turned out that ren sat in the woods for 10 days because germantown/coll 911 services completely dropped the ball.

not saying the person who took the call or even the supervisor...the system tremendously failed this poor family.

as i understand it, after retrieving the 911 call and running the trace on it, they located ren w/in 20-30 minutes..

im sorry, this is completely unacceptable. as a tax paying citizen of this community, i want to know that the 'area' is not going to botch an emergency call from one of my loved ones.

im not the litigation type, but i would certainly be making calls if this had happened to a loved one of mine.

slim.

i like our police chief and i think he is a good man and works hard....

but, i wish he had not said this..

Slim, I'm assuming you live in Memphis, so be careful not to confuse Larry Goodwin, the collierville chief with Larry Godwin the memphis chief. I know, it's weird.

Slim, I'm assuming you live in Memphis, so be careful not to confuse Larry Goodwin, the collierville chief with Larry Godwin the memphis chief. I know, it's weird.

ahh, you are correct. my mistake indeed.

i was speaking of the coll. chief. good- i thought it seemed out of line for godwin...

changed post above..

thanks for that.

slim.