Sign in to follow this  
Guest teamball

Josh Smith

Guest teamball

Reports are that the Hawks are now shopping Josh Smith. They've offered Shaq a 2 year deal, for whatever reason. The Grizzlies tried to grab him before and the Hawks matched the offer. No mention on what they want in return so far, but I've got to believe the Grizzlies ears perked up when they heard this.

I know just 3 days ago that Heisley said he still wants this starting 5 kept together for the upcoming season, but maybe he'll change his mind.

If they are looking for picks and low salary players, we can give them a future first, thabeet, and whoever else not from the starting 5.

If they're looking for salary cap relief, we can give them zbo.

if heisley is serious about competing now, he can't stop at resigning rudy. he's got to keep it up. what better way to do that than sign an athletic 4 like josh smith?

didn't our contract offer make it that if he is traded his salary goes up? but yeah i'd love to have him here...if the FO don't plan on extending him, or flicking him off this season for some other asset then i would love it if we used zbo to get him....it was one of the biggest crimes of the millenium so far that josh smith wasn't an all star over al horford

Guest teamball

The future first wouldn't hurt too much if the youth we've got pans out. Zach's salary is a bit high to work out evenly. I would think they want Horford to be their PF and would want a center. I'd guess they'd want either Gasol or Mayo. Not certain if it's worth giving up either of them for Smith. Without moving Zach it'd look a little odd for us for a year being that we'd have 2 starting all star worthy PF's.

I don't think I'd give up Gasol. But I could see moving Mayo and Thabeet for Smith on the condition the Griz could find a trade partner to take Zach for a reasonable return. I'd still rather not give up Mayo.

Haven't thought of a 3 team swap to move Zbo to ___ with ___ to Atlanta and Smith to Memphis. But a move like this could potentially happen after Lebron, Wade, Bosh and Lee make up their minds as to where they're going. One of the teams with cap room and a need could take Zach off our hands. We'd just need a reason for Atlanta to want to give Smith to us and not the 3rd team.

I'm glad we didn't make the moves like these posters suggested.  We defeated 1 seed spurs as the 8th seed for our first playoff series win later that year.  Then we took okc to 7 games in the 2nd round.  There would have been no grit and grind and no playoff series wins.   I'm still a little down about not having anything to show for it though, but the whole era has been fun.

I'm glad we didn't make the moves like these posters suggested.  We defeated 1 seed spurs as the 8th seed for our first playoff series win later that year.  Then we took okc to 7 games in the 2nd round.  There would have been no grit and grind and no playoff series wins.   I'm still a little down about not having anything to show for it though, but the whole era has been fun.

You can probably get away with saying that over hear in NBA Talk more than on Grizz Talk but I agree with you.