I know, I know.
However, you have to get over the initial sticker shock. His contract is gigantic. It is Chandler Parson almost x 2. The difference is John Wall is an established All Star.
Now I am not saying this is the perfect scenario. Or even ideal. However, I think he could be a nice fit.
Lets do the cons first:
1. The contract is large and extension does not kick in until next season.
2. The chemistry. The Wizards have been toxic for two seasons and he has been a part of the toxicity.
3. Low energy play the last two seasons.
1. 28 year old 5 time All Star, 1 x All NBA, 1 x All defensive team.
2. Size makes it less likely for him to break down.
3. Has been relatively healthy before last season.
4. Fit. Can play next to Mike Conley. Can defend shooting guards. Will lengthen Conley's career. Gives us a dynamic shot creator.
5. Puts the Grizz squarely on the top of the non-Warriors tier of the West
6. John Wall is currently averaging 21/8/3 in a disappointing season.
Now I recognize that 5 additional years of mega-money is scary, especially for a small market team. Wall could be Chandler Parson useful the last two years of the deal at 34.
The deal I propose is: Chandler Parsons/Ivan Rabb/Wayne Seldon/Marshon Brooks/2020 2nd round pick/2022 2nd round pick for John Wall/Markief Morris. With maybe one or two of our guys going to other teams so Washington can save on the luxury tax. So I am not proposing any 1st rounders or any of our top young guys going.
Our rotation after the trade:
PG Mike Conley, Shelvin Mack, Jevon Carter
SG John Wall, Garrett Temple
SF Kyle Anderson, Dillon Brooks
PF Jaren Jackson, JaMychal Green
C Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah
To me this is a team that can not only make the Western Conference Finals but also get a game or two vs. the Warriors. Plus the added benefit is that if KD leaves this offseason, we could possibly be a favorite in the West next season with Jaren's development. I know it is not ideal. I know there will be pain in the end but for a chance to make the WCFs and win the Southwest division, I think it could be worth the pain.
I mean we have to be honest. John Wall could possibly be our best player if he has that Pau Gasol in LA rejuvenation to his game. Could be a ZBoish acquisition.