Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MemphisX

Chad Fruad: Grizz may trade Rudy, Hasheem?

Well we know that Mayo is going to be a MAX guy. Gasol is going to command anywhere from 10-12 million a year. Randolph will cost us anywhere from 8-10. Conley will cost us somwhere in the 5-7 range. And, provided Rudy gets his 13.5, we're looking at somewhere around 52-58 million in salaries just in the starters. Who knows what the luxary tax will be in a few years.

I understand the idea of not looking too far ahead, but in a small market, you just about have to. You have to have a precise plan and you have to execute than plan masterfully in order to be a contender.

Rudy Gay is not a MAX salary guy. Giving him that kind of money would hurt on many different levels.

And like X said, giving Rudy the MAX, what does that say to the other guys? What message does that put in Rudy's head?

There is a fundamental difference of opinion related to Rudy Gay. I think it is safe to say that nobody wants to make a mistake on him.

What I don't think you see is that the risk of losing Rudy Gay who is 23 years old and him becoming a superstar is just as likely as refusing to pay him because you believe he isn't a superstar or ever will be.

Besides that, which is a separate issue. There is another. The issue is that this team has gelled and trading Rudy Gay because you feel he is worth 10 million a year instead of 13.5, if he gets that, and risking alienating Gasol, Randolph and OJ, which is a very real possibility as much as the doubts seem to think it isn't, is a FAR FAR greater risk than the 3.5 million per year savings we would gain from letting him go.

And I still don't understand you alls point. Rudy is not a max player so according to you, nothing else matters but that we should trade him and you all see this as the only important fact when in fact there are numberous more issues. If once we start winning you let Rudy go, you send a real message to the players like OJ who you so dearly love. We aren't committed to winning. How many players have left because of that perception or asked for trades, or is that not a concern for you all that are willing to risk that for 3.5 million dollars extra per year?????

Utterly ridiculous.

The city of Memphis definitely doesn't need an nba team.

Its not whether or not we want to pay Rudy the extra 3.5 a year, it has a lot of long reaching consequences. If we pay Rudy Max that would be foolish IMO, and i am pretty certain we will not. I would be willing to be a lot of beer on the fact that we wont pay him max. Also, I dont think any other team will, but we will see.

Well we know that Mayo is going to be a MAX guy. Gasol is going to command anywhere from 10-12 million a year. Randolph will cost us anywhere from 8-10. Conley will cost us somwhere in the 5-7 range. And, provided Rudy gets his 13.5, we're looking at somewhere around 52-58 million in salaries just in the starters. Who knows what the luxary tax will be in a few years.

I understand the idea of not looking too far ahead, but in a small market, you just about have to. You have to have a precise plan and you have to execute than plan masterfully in order to be a contender.

Rudy Gay is not a MAX salary guy. Giving him that kind of money would hurt on many different levels.

And like X said, giving Rudy the MAX, what does that say to the other guys? What message does that put in Rudy's head?

then the team needs to be moved. I'm done. Just move the team and put us out of our misery.

then the team needs to be moved. I'm done. Just move the team and put us out of our misery.

LMAO...this is too much fun. You are, quite possibly, the biggest drama queen I've ever known.

I can't believe the words of Chad f'n Fraud is tearing us Griz fans apart. :lol:

They aren't. They're tearing Kevin apart. We are witnessing a breakdown of epic proportions. :lol:

LMAO...this is too much fun. You are, quite possibly, the biggest drama queen I've ever known.

authentic-drama-queen.jpg

There is no way on God's green earth Thabeet will ever be worthy of being the starting Center on this team.

Ever :blink: . C'mon man. Why do people say such foolish things.

They aren't. They're tearing Kevin apart. We are witnessing a breakdown of epic proportions. :lol:

I tried to be reasonable and tried to say let's just let the thread die. But noooooo, ya'll hadddddd to kept going on and on. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bna, this is pent up frustration from the pau years.

I need to just leave for a while cause I can't deal with another situation were we run one of our best players outta town again.

Man this is Crazy!!!!!!!!!!! No move has been made and people are already going crazy!!!!!! Please relax people! What's going to happen is what's going to happen! You nor me can change that so let's just stay calm and hope for the best!

my brain is boiling…

Gay > Prince.

this is mind bogglinge. why would you trade just getting started, 2nd tier star gay for running out of gas prince?! a shadow of his former self imo.

how short sighted do you have to be? you want to trade a top offensive player, a potential all star and envy of almost every team in the league so you can make the playoffs this year? how bout skipping the playoffs, giving gay time to gel even more with the current team and get to the conference finals?

our starters are almost single on their own getting us into the playoffs and Gay is our leading scorer. how would this conversation be going if we had a better bench?

this better not happen. i'll lose my mind. Gay for Ariza, Gerald Wallace or Josh Smith i would do. not freaing Prince.

and the fact that Hasheem suddenly doesnt fit into team plans and that he's off to a slow start causing them to want to trade him makes me want to scream my lungs out in Heisleys office. unbelievable. absolutely unbelievable. OF COURSE! how many times did i and half of this forum make exactly both those points pre draft. how many times does steven hunter have to take thabeets minutes at center before everybody realizes dude cant play and will be brendan haywood at best?

i definitely hope they trade Hasheem. Haddadi deserves minutes. but dear god. i can not believe theyre alreayd potentially wanting to trade him when we could have had Evans.

if that doesnt make you want to slap your momma idk what will.

AMEN! Trading Rudy for anything short of a bonefied Superstar is ignant! Let dude develop and keep the chemistry this team has going.

But I still don't like the idea!!! A $10-11 extension will not work man!!!

Why not? That contract is about what Rudy is worth and about what other young players of Rudys age and caliber are getting. (Aldrige/ Iggy). Is it gonna work with Mayo or are we gonna let him go to?

Conley will cost us somwhere in the 5-7 range.

I'd rather pay Rudy the max than Conley something in that range. And I'm not very fond of doing the first. Overpaying for core players is one thing, overpaying for everyone is another.

Matching a high offer for Rudy Gay puts him out of the team by 2012, unless he really steps it up. That's when we have to pay Mayo, and he is, out of the four, the one that would want at least as much as Rudy Gay. Randolph and Gasol, I believe, would take a contract that makes sense in the market, rather than looking at what someone else in the team got the year before when the team matched. It's and issue however, and obviously I'd rather not have to deal with it.

To me it goes down like this: it you get Rudy with a relatively low contract (9 or less per year) you can start thinking about trying to keep the whole core together after 2012. If he gets around 10-11 per year, it's doable but it will depend on how much you have to pay the others. If you go over that, it's two years and split the core.

But all in all, I would rather lose Rudy for relatively nothing in 2012 (cap relief, a veteran role player and a couple of picks, for instance) than losing him right away. After all, his contract should not be a real problem until 2012.

Anyhow, we got to a dead end with this discussion a long time ago, and it's OK, if all of us shared the same views this would be a real bore. And if we have to think that what we write here is going to have a real effect on the team, it will be hard to sleep tonight :D

Well, it's not like I'm sleeping a lot tonight, the game starts at 2 A.M. in Spain.

10pts and 5ast doesnt get Conley 5 million?

Oh but that's the real mistake there, it's about stats or merits, but how he fits with your top players. Is he the best fit for our core or can we get someone that fits better for those 5 million?

the rest of the team should be totally complementary to the core players. Assuming Mayo, Gay, Randolph and Gasol are our core (do we all agree on this?), I wouldn't compromise that kind of money on Conley unless I really believe he is ideal around them. I would rather have a better shooter who could play off the ball to let Mayo handle it from time to time. I would rather have more of a defensive minded player there. As far as there are concerns about his fit on the team, I wouldn't give him that much money (the comment was referred to 5-7 million, 5 million being the lowest).

But that's me, I understand that to some other people a backcourt of Conley-Mayo is good to keep in the long term.

Eventually, as we compromise on our core, we will have to start aiming for highly complementary players to them. Look at the main weaknesses: defense (perimeter and on the paint), shooting. Any rotation player we compromise money on should be able to fit at least in one of those needs.

To the guy saying it would save Memphis money by waiting until the offseason to make the deal, I'm just wondering how so? His new contract wouldn't start until his rookie contract is up at the end of this season anyways? Right? Isn't that how contracts work? I could be wrong and please correct me if that's the case. Ultimately I think it could end up costing Memphis more money by waiting?

I think you're right. My bad.

I would rather have a better shooter who could play off the ball to let Mayo handle it from time to time.

That to me pretty much describes Conley. He doesnt have guady numbers because he gives it up to the other guys to let them do their things. As far as a better shooter, are you aware that Conley was leading the NBA in the month of January and shooting 60 percent from 3 point range going into the New Orleans game (and is over 40 percent on 3's for the season AGAIN)? Are you aware of that? Who do you propose is this better shooter who plays off the ball that we should pursue? Some people are so anti-Conley that they dont even recognize that he has become a very good role player. He will not be a star. But he is not the albatross some of you like to make him out to be.

That to me pretty much describes Conley. He doesnt have guady numbers because he gives it up to the other guys to let them do their things. As far as a better shooter, are you aware that Conley was leading the NBA in the month of January and shooting 60 percent from 3 point range going into the New Orleans game (and is over 40 percent on 3's for the season AGAIN)? Are you aware of that? Who do you propose is this better shooter who plays off the ball that we should pursue? Some people are so anti-Conley that they dont even recognize that he has become a very good role player. He will not be a star. But he is not the albatross some of you like to make him out to be.

He also has the physical ability to develop into more. I'm quite happy with Conley until something better comes around.

He also has the physical ability to develop into more. I'm quite happy with Conley until something better comes around.

And did you see him pick CP3's pocket late in the 4th quarter Wednesday night?

And did you see him pick CP3's pocket late in the 4th quarter Wednesday night?

Sadly no. All I had was audio on League pass broadband. I really wanted to see him. From what I could tell he had a great game until he got into foul trouble. Not so good afterwards.