Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MemphisX

2009 Free Agency

I just want to have a thread similar to the draft thread but IMO the way we use our capspace will have a more significant impact on our win column next season. We should be picking up an long term impact player in the 2009 draft and an immediate impact player in free agency. I prefer an established All Star. There are no reasonable superstars available but there are some players that could put us in the playoffs as early as next season if every current Grizz develops at a reasonale rate.

My top 5 targets for 2009:

1. Andruw Bynum - Until he is extended by the Lakers, he is my #1 target. Most likely to extend but you never know.

2. Carlos Boozer - Makes us legit from day 1.

3. Lamar Odom - Versatile PF with chamionship game experience and a former All Star.

4. Linas Kleiza - Starting to break out. Could be a good running PF with range.

5. Martell Webster - Broke his foot and might get lost in the Blazers rotation behind Outlaw and Fernandez.

I just want to have a thread similar to the draft thread but IMO the way we use our capspace will have a more significant impact on our win column next season. We should be picking up an long term impact player in the 2009 draft and an immediate impact player in free agency. I prefer an established All Star. There are no reasonable superstars available but there are some players that could put us in the playoffs as early as next season if every current Grizz develops at a reasonale rate.

My top 5 targets for 2009:

1. Andruw Bynum - Until he is extended by the Lakers, he is my #1 target. Most likely to extend but you never know.

2. Carlos Boozer - Makes us legit from day 1.

3. Lamar Odom - Versatile PF with chamionship game experience and a former All Star.

4. Linas Kleiza - Starting to break out. Could be a good running PF with range.

5. Martell Webster - Broke his foot and might get lost in the Blazers rotation behind Outlaw and Fernandez.

Lamar Odom...no. Just no, ask any Laker fan why. They complain of his lack of jumpshot, his tweener game, and his lack of mental toughness.

Klieza is a nice role player probably only known for that 40+ point explosion last season.

Webster is a swignman. Don't see the PT for him if we are developing GMC.

Boozer is in his peak years, no chance he signs.

Now Bynum, that is someone I'd love to have. Of course, he is a little rusty and can't dunk on people yet, but his legs still aren't what they were pre-injury. Give him another week or two...Bynum is the only one I want and we won't get him. But we have Gasol-Darko :rolleyes:

Apparently Bynum and Pau aren't clicking all that well. The Lakers even said that their better without Bynum in the lineup. Jackson said if Bynum don't get is act together he will spend alot of time on the bench. Now if the Grizz was able to get Griffin in the draft say goodbye 3YP. I would throw a huge amount of money to this kid a contract like Pau's were. Bynum has started to feel like the oddman out according to the LA Times. If he feels the Lakers don't appreciate him then the Griz has a chance. We would have closed the distance with Portland by signing Bynum and drafting Griffin.

Then all we would have to do is find our own version of Rudy Fernandez. Draftexpress says that player is James Harden. Boozer is a pipedream because Miami will get him no doubt in my mind. Amare won't leave Nash and Shaq for Memphis. So this would be perfect Conley, Mayo, Rudy, Griffin, Bynum, Lowry, Hakim, and other high draft pick.

You'd have a better chance of seeing Elvis in a Grizz uniform before you see Bynum in one. Come on now. The Lakers would get rid of Pau before they got rid of this kid. It WOULD be funny to see what kind of lowball offer Heisley gave him though.

Yeah. Never read much into Phil Jackson's actions. He motivates people way differently than others. And even still, it's the preseason. Having Bynum back is an adjustment for all of them.

As for Boozer and Miami, Miami is going have to have to make some serious moves to have the space to throw a decent contract at him.

Apparently Bynum and Pau aren't clicking all that well. The Lakers even said that their better without Bynum in the lineup. Jackson said if Bynum don't get is act together he will spend alot of time on the bench. Now if the Grizz was able to get Griffin in the draft say goodbye 3YP. I would throw a huge amount of money to this kid a contract like Pau's were. Bynum has started to feel like the oddman out according to the LA Times. If he feels the Lakers don't appreciate him then the Griz has a chance. We would have closed the distance with Portland by signing Bynum and drafting Griffin.

Then all we would have to do is find our own version of Rudy Fernandez. Draftexpress says that player is James Harden. Boozer is a pipedream because Miami will get him no doubt in my mind. Amare won't leave Nash and Shaq for Memphis. So this would be perfect Conley, Mayo, Rudy, Griffin, Bynum, Lowry, Hakim, and other high draft pick.

I LOVE this optimism, but I would have to actually see this before I would begin to think this is realistic.

My targets in order:

1) Boozer

2) Boozer

3) Boozer

4) Boozer

5) Boozer

Did I mention Boozer?

He is exactly what this team needs. Do I believe that he will sign? I am not sure. Depending on what else is out there, he might go for the huge contract. And we will be the team who has the most cap space I do believe. Not exactly sure on this because I have not been keeping up much for the last couple of months, but from what I was looking at a few months ago the Grizzlies seemed to be in the most favorable position as far as free agency in 2009.

You put Boozer with a budding star in Rudy, a seasoned 2 year starter in Conley, a glue guy in Mayo regardless of whether he pans out to all-star capability or not, and a gritty downlow combo of Darko/Gasol and you have a very solid basketball team who, given a couple of gel years, could make a serious run.

Do everything in your POWER to get Boozer in Beale Street Blue.

Bynum is interesting.

It doesn't seem as if things are working right now in LA.

Now, in all fairness, it is only the preseason and the Lakers did make a championship run without him and it is going to be difficult conforming your current strategies, philosophies, and rotations to his presence on the floor. But even with all of that, the Lakers still may not retain him next summer.

Depending on how big of an impact he has, they may not want to throw the money at him. They already have 30-40 million dollars a year invested in just Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant.

However with Odom coming off the books I suppose it wouldn't hurt them much as far as cap structure goes.

Boozer is going to the highest bidder. If you think he is going to leave $30-50 million on the table to play home games in Miami, you are not thinking right.

I would love having Webster backing up Mayo and Rudy at the 2 and 3. You really cant say who the top targets should be until after the draft though. Hopefully the Curse ends and we get the 1st pick though.

Conley36 /Mayo12

Mayo26 /Webster22

Rudy40 /Webster8

Griffin32/Arthur16

Gasol30/Darko18

:mellow:

Boozer is going to the highest bidder. If you think he is going to leave $30-50 million on the table to play home games in Miami, you are not thinking right.

Miami is only a deal or two away from having that money available. Of course, Beasley's development could make Boozer a non factor on South Beach. Additionally, the Grizz could finally score the first pick and BG :D

Some posters were real big on Paul Milsap and truthfully, I was not. However, I did not know he is just 23 years old.

Anyway. He has averaged 17/12/4 so far in December in 35.5 minutes of playing time.

I am warming to him because his defense has improved.

His numbers compare favorably with Carlos Boozer at the same age.

Some posters were real big on Paul Milsap and truthfully, I was not. However, I did not know he is just 23 years old.

Anyway. He has averaged 17/12/4 so far in December in 35.5 minutes of playing time.

I am warming to him because his defense has improved.

His numbers compare favorably with Carlos Boozer at the same age.

I was looking at Milsaps stats from last night too. No Booze and he had 20 points and 12 rebounds against the Suns. I mean that is Shaq AND Amare he is going up against. Not the easiest competition ever for a 23 year old.

Anyway, he has been putting up crazy numbers since being given the opportunity.

How much you want to bet the Jazz look to trade Okur so they can try to hold on to Boozer and Milsaps?

sucks we could have drafted milsap.....he was known as a rebounder in college....lead college in rebounding.....instead we took the stick figure known as hak.....

oh, but we should be aware of milsap being a product of sloan's system.......is our offense going to be able to get him so many easy layups and dunks...

oh, but we should be aware of milsap being a product of sloan's system.......is our offense going to be able to get him so many easy layups and dunks...

:blink: Seriously? LOL.

1. Bynum got his extension,so he's out. 2. Martell Webster also got an extension,so he's out. That leaves our only shot laying with boozer and odom. Actually, that leaves our only shot laying with odom,because we all know heisley WILL NOT seriously pursue boozer because his price will be too high. So as I said in my topic a few days ago anywhere from 4 yrs $40 mil- 4 yrs $50 mil gives us our PF....... Lamar Odom

I still believe that Boozer is what this team needs.

When we get the proper coach Rudy will be fine at the 3. OJ is obviously doing just fine at the 2 spot. And I believe Gasol is good enough to hold down the 5 spot atleast for the time being.

Add Boozer to that and we can focus on signing some seasoned NBA veterans (ala NO with Peja, Mo-Pete, Bo-Jax, etc)

PG - Mike Conley

SG - OJ Mayo

SF - Rudy Gay

PF - Carlos Boozer

C - Marc Gasol

I can dream.

The question I have is: Do you wan to give an oft injured Boozer his last big contract? I am weary of that.

I am starting to warm to the idea of giving a 23 year old Millsap his first big contract and having him being motivated to get another big one at 28-29. This means instead of paying for the declining years, we pay for the inclining years into his prime. The other bonus is he would cost us about half of what Boozer will cost.

So it is not Boozer vs. Millsap...it is Boozer vs. Millsap/VareJao.

After watching Millsap this season, I would give him David West money. About 5 years/$50 million.

Then Rudy for 5/$60 million extension and try and trade for a shooter or sign VareJao.

Now if we draft Griffin or Monroe, I don't know where you spend the money.

Boozer Boozer Boozer... come on chant with me.

Too many people for Utah to resign next year. A huge offer might get him.

Yes. Boozer my one and only target for 2009.

The question I have is: Do you wan to give an oft injured Boozer his last big contract? I am weary of that.

I am starting to warm to the idea of giving a 23 year old Millsap his first big contract and having him being motivated to get another big one at 28-29. This means instead of paying for the declining years, we pay for the inclining years into his prime. The other bonus is he would cost us about half of what Boozer will cost.

So it is not Boozer vs. Millsap...it is Boozer vs. Millsap/VareJao.

After watching Millsap this season, I would give him David West money. About 5 years/$50 million.

Then Rudy for 5/$60 million extension and try and trade for a shooter or sign VareJao.

Now if we draft Griffin or Monroe, I don't know where you spend the money.

I haven't been watching much of Milsap this year.

I am going to have to pay a little more attention to him so that I can get my own impression.