Rookie point guard Jevon @nextlevel_03 Carter suffered a right thumb ligament rupture in what I'm hearing was a freak injury yesterday during a workout at Tim Grgurich's development camp in Las Vegas. Surgery required. Carter's thumb got caught in an opposing player's jersey.

Hearing a full recovery is anticipated and the @memgrizz should have a timeframe for recovery and return to play following surgery.

Sounds like a pretty standard Memphis Grizzlies pre-season news item.

It would have been shocking to not have major injury news before training camp opens.

5 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Sounds like a pretty standard Memphis Grizzlies pre-season news item.

It would have been shocking to not have major injury news before training camp opens.

I was trying to think of a catchy title saying the same but just left it as is

The Grizz just cannot avoid news of an injury — minor or major. At this point, fans just have to accept it. It is inevitable that this franchise is glued to the injury bug. The great news for Carter and the Memphis Grizzlies is that their promising rookie guard will be ready for the season.

Isnt this a 6-8 week injury? CP3 had the same thing right?

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

We don't know the details but that's the ballpark. The good news is these injuries are usually fixed with surgery and are unlikely to happen again.

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Sounds about right:

Though it's an unusual injury, other point guards have gone through it recently. Chris Paul ruptured his thumb in 2017 and Marcus Smart did so in 2018. Both players returned roughly six weeks after surgery and played at a high level. 

Training camp starts in late September. It shouldn't be a problem as long as he doesn't miss any training camp. Although, it does sound like he was doing the right thing being at this development camp to improve his skillset. Any improvements that he expected from that will be gone but hopefully he makes training camp. 

This happened the same day they signed Mack. Coincidence? I think not. I bet they were keepin their options open then finally decided on Mack when they heard about Carters injury. Makes sense.

I still see us going 6-4 the first 10 games this season. Which makes me happy. 

Good luck for a speedy recovery Jevon.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:18 AM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sounds about right:

Training camp starts in late September. It shouldn't be a problem as long as he doesn't miss any training camp. Although, it does sound like he was doing the right thing being at this development camp to improve his skillset. Any improvements that he expected from that will be gone but hopefully he makes training camp. 

My understanding is he will be missing any contact in training camp even if he is cast free.

I'm guessing we don't see Carter on the big boy floor until after Christmas as he will be down with Hustle until injuries or really bad PG play bring him back (both quite possible).   For those reasons, I'd be fine if he is with Hustle all season.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

My understanding is he will be missing any contact in training camp even if he is cast free.

I'm guessing we don't see Carter on the big boy floor until after Christmas as he will be down with Hustle until injuries or really bad PG play bring him back (both quite possible).   For those reasons, I'd be fine if he is with Hustle all season.

I can easily see that happening as well. Would be great if he did and the Hustle played the claws in maine this year so I could watch him.