Greater Memphis Grind

Grizz to sign Shelvin Mack?

Makes no sense at all. We are right up against the luxury tax. If this happens, something else has to happen. If it happens, sounds like Harrison is gone. 

The fact that people still want to get rid of Harrison despite him developing each season he's been here is weird to me like what else does he have to do to prove he's good enough

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Then why draft Carter lol. I dont be getting team.

I think this has more to do with a lack of faith in Carter being ready year one than Harrison being moved cause Andrew is better and cheaper than Jevon and hes more versatile position wise.....this could mean Jevon will be spending more time with the hustle than the Grizz they still need to move someone to make room for Mack tho

There could be a trade coming cause they need a back up center I think Jam is getting traded Jaren does need to sit on the bench he's good enough to start and Jam is nothing special

1. Look at roster
2. See we need backup center
3. Sign another backup PG worse than what we already have

Makes sense.

This has to be leading to something else. Something like Green + Selden to the Hawks for Dedmon + Bembry would be a nice move.

1 minute ago, Jetfixer said:

Yea, I don't mind Harrison at all, I know nothing about Mack.

@peteredmiston 3m3 minutes ago
Shelvin Mack fits the criteria we've seen the Grizzlies emphasize as they build: Maturity, Positivity, Leadership, Mentorship. He's a solid player but, as w/ Temple & even Anderson, a high-IQ, positive locker room example. Having been w/ asst coach @NBAcoaching in ORL helps too.

edit: and here are his career stats

1 minute ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:
@peteredmiston 3m3 minutes ago
Shelvin Mack fits the criteria we've seen the Grizzlies emphasize as they build: Maturity, Positivity, Leadership, Mentorship. He's a solid player but, as w/ Temple & even Anderson, a high-IQ, positive locker room example. Having been w/ asst coach @NBAcoaching in ORL helps too.

I like all the positive stuff but we need good players overall, this is just a rumor at this point. 

I like Harrison for his size, defense isn't bad, he has some grit to him also.

Not sure how folks still aren't 'getting' the Grizz roster moves.

You may not agree with them, but that's another topic.

They've said it with their words and their moves repeatedly recently - GnG, high IQ, and veteran.

Mack fits all of those.

Time will tell.

WTH???  This definitely means Jevon is going to be on the Hustle all year.   Also means after the last two seasons where we played like 28 G league dudes has scarred them.    JB wants vets to ensure we make a real playoff push. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

WTH???  This definitely means Jevon is going to be on the Hustle all year.   Also means after the last two seasons where we played like 28 G league dudes has scarred them.    JB wants vets to ensure we make a real playoff push. 

Pretty much what they've said all along. They thought they could win THIS year. Their acquisitions make that even more obvious IMO. A couple of NBA veterans with versatility and basketball IQ.

4 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

I like all the positive stuff but we need good players overall, this is just a rumor at this point. 

I like Harrison for his size, defense isn't bad, he has some grit to him also.

If Woj writes an article about it, it's most likely all but done.

I for one think it does make sense for a couple of reasons.  The Front Office is no longer gambling on marginal NBA talent.  You either make it obvious that you belong in the league or you are gone.

Secondly JAM is being traded, the only question is whether Harrison is being traded with him? 

A backup center can be added for the minimum and there is no need to trade for one and take on long term money, so an unbalanced two for one trade should be completed which would allow the acquisition. 

Shelvin Mack is being signed as a backup to Mike Conley Jr. and Harrison's deal is not guaranteed which may have some appeal to a team that acquires him in a trade. 

36 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

The fact that people still want to get rid of Harrison despite him developing each season he's been here is weird to me like what else does he have to do to prove he's good enough

34 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think this has more to do with a lack of faith in Carter being ready year one than Harrison being moved cause Andrew is better and cheaper than Jevon and hes more versatile position wise.....this could mean Jevon will be spending more time with the hustle than the Grizz they still need to move someone to make room for Mack tho

Not trying to get rid of Harrison but he's on a non-guaranteed contract and they just drafted a PG. The logical thinking would be they are getting rid of the guy on the non-guaranteed contract as opposed to a rookie they just drafted a month ago and signed a couple of weeks ago to a guaranteed contract. It could be that the Mack contract is just a training camp invite or something but at any rate while listening to the Calkins show, they mentioned that this move is to put a little heat on Harrison.

My Mack recap for the day...

Best season: 2016  12.7ppg included 36% from three

Played in 69 games last season but only started 3

Has a dazzling 4 to 1 turnover to assist ratio showing mega-high BBIQ

Pickup would be solid but not spectacular.  But we're not going to get spectacular, so get used to the Mack's and Temple's of the world.

4 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

My Mack recap for the day...

Best season: 2016  12.7ppg included 36% from three

Played in 69 games last season but only started 3

Has a dazzling 4 to 1 turnover to assist ratio showing mega-high BBIQ

Pickup would be solid but not spectacular.  But we're not going to get spectacular, so get used to the Mack's and Temple's of the world.

I'm assuming you mean assist to turnover ratio correct? (not trying to be a jerk, but order matters in that case)

Guess we know what they think of Harrison now.

I wonder if the next move is going to be a trade for a proven/scoring sg (Burks from Utah??).

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm assuming you mean assist to turnover ratio correct? (not trying to be a jerk, but order matters in that case)

Obviously.  The other way around would be middle school hoops.  If that. :P

So for the past few years we have been bringing in and trying to  develop young players but now they’re basically all gone

Must be another move coming. I actually hope we keep Andrew Harrison, but won't be heartbroken if he's one of the ones on the way out. 

This whole offseason feels nothing like a Wallace offseason. What's happened that has changed that we're actually making decent moves?