Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

OKC Needs a Trade Partner

Story filed to ESPN: In advance of an inevitable – if not imminent – parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including Houston and Miami. Meetings took place in Vegas in recent days.

Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said.

According to Woj, OKC is looking to trade Melo to a team who will then waive him and take the hit of the expiring contract I wonder, could Memphis package Parsons and Mclemore to OKC, OKC waives McLemore and stretches Parsons?

I wonder if that could be a possibility

I can't imagine a team looking to make someone else take the hit on an expiring contract would want to take on a useless player on an even longer deal.  That's the opposite of relief.  

55 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I can't imagine a team looking to make someone else take the hit on an expiring contract would want to take on a useless player on an even longer deal.  That's the opposite of relief.  

Well, if they trade him they will more than likely have to take $28 mil back in salaries which ain't nothing to sneeze at. i'm not sure how many teams would have the cap space to absorb that salaryor why they would and then cut him, tying up cap space. it seems to me they would have to take something back. Parsons is useful in spots.

Parsons has almost 50M left in his contract and Melo only 27M, why would OKC want to take on an extra 23M for a role player at best? Doesn't make any sense at all. HOU, a team that is interested in Melo, can offer Andersen and Nene for Melo and that would save OKC 3M.

12 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

According to Woj, OKC is looking to trade Melo to a team who will then waive him and take the hit of the expiring contract I wonder, could Memphis package Parsons and Mclemore to OKC, OKC waives McLemore and stretches Parsons?

I wonder if that could be a possibility

Why would OKC pay $55 million to dump $28 million, when all of going to have Luxury Tax hits? 

Parsons can be paid over 5 years, if waived before 8/31, but they are still paying him $50 million. How is that much different than stretching Carmelo and paying him $28 million over 3? Seems to be the same LT hit but they are paying an extra $20 million to Parsons plus $5.5 million to McLemore. 

OKC is not going to take $55M to stretch in 5 years when they could just stretch Melo's $28M in 3 years. That doesn't make any sense. They'd pay more luxury tax that way.

6 hours ago, Latilleon said:

Why would OKC pay $55 million to dump $28 million, when all of going to have Luxury Tax hits? 

Parsons can be paid over 5 years, if waived before 8/31, but they are still paying him $50 million. How is that much different than stretching Carmelo and paying him $28 million over 3? Seems to be the same LT hit but they are paying an extra $20 million to Parsons plus $5.5 million to McLemore. 

Donald Trump - Let's make a deal!

Oooooooooh gosh, they won't do that.  If so, Chris Wallace is a Genius...LOL.

23 hours ago, Latilleon said:

21 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

OKC is not going to take $55M to stretch in 5 years when they could just stretch Melo's $28M in 3 years. That doesn't make any sense. They'd pay more luxury tax that way.

I agree to a certain degree that it doesn't make sense but trading Melo period doesn't make sense because they would have to take salary back yet Woj is reporting they are looking for a trade period. Seems to me they would just want to stretch him out but it sounds like they want some players back and Parsons if healthy would definitely help them. 

Isn't Smart a 9ppg career player?  People think we would be getting the next Jordan or Dr. J?

Blind leap of faith alert.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, Latilleon said:

First PMI, now Latty.

Who's next? :lol:

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree to a certain degree that it doesn't make sense but trading Melo period doesn't make sense because they would have to take salary back yet Woj is reporting they are looking for a trade period. Seems to me they would just want to stretch him out but it sounds like they want some players back and Parsons if healthy would definitely help them. 

They don't need to take salary back if the other team has cap space. Of course they would have to give away picks and/or cash. The reason for this is a trade would remove much more tax money earlier than simply stretching him. But I don't think it's realistic, all the teams with cap want to use it now, not save it for next season.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

They don't need to take salary back if the other team has cap space. Of course they would have to give away picks and/or cash. The reason for this is a trade would remove much more tax money earlier than simply stretching him. But I don't think it's realistic, all the teams with cap want to use it now, not save it for next season.

Yeah, I mentioned that. How many teams have cap space that would take Melo back? I'm not even sure if a team exists. That's why I mentioned they would have to take salary back.

24 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yeah, I mentioned that. How many teams have cap space that would take Melo back? I'm not even sure if a team exists. That's why I mentioned they would have to take salary back.

Realistically, only the Nets and the Kings could make space. 

12 hours ago, GF#1 said:

First PMI, now Latty.

GrizzledGrizzFan was hanging out in the Ron Tillery thread a day or two ago.

19 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Realistically, only the Nets and the Kings could make space. 

The Nets cannot take on his contract. They just absorbed the contracts of Darrel Arthur and Kenneth Faried and signed Joe Harris. They only have like $2.6 million in cap space left. 

I don't think there are any options, maybe the Kings (i'm not sure about that) but why would they do that solely to help OKC? They would demand some first round picks imo. Denver gave up a 1st to dump Faried's and Arthur's expiring contracts. 

54 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The Nets cannot take on his contract. They just absorbed the contracts of Darrel Arthur and Kenneth Faried and signed Joe Harris. They only have like $2.6 million in cap space left. 

I don't think there are any options, maybe the Kings (i'm not sure about that) but why would they do that solely to help OKC? They would demand some first round picks imo. Denver gave up a 1st to dump Faried's and Arthur's expiring contracts. 

Yeah, and a 1st rounder from OKC (with WB and PG13) is not exactly a hot commodity.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, GF#1 said:

First PMI, now Latty.

Did you think I died or something?

11 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe suspended animation or cryogenic freezer for space travel?  Good to see you checking in anyway.

I’m around, easily found.