Sign in to follow this  
VikingWarrior

How does everyone feel about GnG 2.0?

Personally I’m excited. Having only lived in Memphis a short time the grit and grind is something even I associate with the city. 

I am happy that we have a direction that is shared FO, Coach, players

get a scorer in FA and I think we can be that annoying team people hate to play

to be blunt, I couldn't care less about what marketing term we want to throw on this thing. g&g is fine. we all know tony and zbo was g&g. just get us great players and let's win. 

slim. 

I mean, it is what it is. I think the original GnG was more of an organic thing back then. Calling it before it happens is kind of forcing it just like the GrindSon.

The Pistons won a couple of titles with the Bad Boys brand.  Then they came back over a decade later and won a championship with a brand of ball predicated on defense, rebounding, and correctly using Tayshaun Prince.  

This current (hoped for) rendition of Grit/Grind aka ALT GRIND has a more late 80's Bad Boys feel.  

But, same concept.

Small market teams have to do that.  Even the Spurs were built around defense, rebounding, and timely scoring once Tim Duncan fell into their laps.

Small market teams or even flyover market teams can't build a basketball brand around Flash and Free Agents.

The early returns of my 2019 Mock Lotto Big Board doesn't look very promising.  Sagaba Konate intrigues me but I think next year is a draft where athletic/defensive bigs go 15 spots too high.  Zion Williamson could be the prize.  At least he will sell stuff.  I am keeping my eye on Kris Wilkes.  Can shoot ok, solid basketball genes, but he can't hit a free throw.  Maybe he falls.  Other than that, the Lawson Brothers might be as good as anybody.  If we have a 2nd rounder (or two) I think we can outperform some teams picking in the lottery.  ... I am on the look out for any potential Michael Cooper types.

i like having an actual identity and not being just another generic copycat team 

everyone now is basically trying to be Golden State Light

2 minutes ago, guillermo said:

i like having an actual identity and not being just another generic copycat team 

Is this JB Bickerstaff?

I like the identity thing, I just want that we pick more than defenders, we get competitors, guys that has GnG even as scorers. Just to make the example, Doncic and Bagley has GnG writen all over them.

22 minutes ago, guillermo said:

Why do you HATE the Atlanta Hawks?  lol

Trae looks like a disaster waiting to happen.  Optimistic about Kevin Huerter though.  I can see Omari Spellman going either way.

21 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

I like the identity thing, I just want that we pick more than defenders, we get competitors, guys that has GnG even as scorers. Just to make the example, Doncic and Bagley has GnG writen all over them.

Not sure about Bags.  Not that long, he's skinny, and he can't defend that well.  

Doncic has a GREAT set-up in Dallas.  He can learn from Dirk. They have Dennis Smith, Jr. who can score, Harrison Barnes has always been a nice piece to a puzzle, and then their other two rooks Kostas Freaktempo (number 2 on my last Big Board) and The Reign Man Raymond "Spider" Spalding (11th on my last Big Board) look like a couple of Showtime type pieces for Luka to run and gun with.  If Doncic Does Dallas can't get it done with the Mavericks then he's in big trouble.

I think we are making a huge mistake by not moving on from mike and marc.   They are just not good enough.   I don't care if you practically give them away.   Marc gasol should have already been gone.   I don't think he improves his teammates,  he stagnates the offense and i'm afraid he will teach his lazy habits to the younger players when he isn't throwing  them under the bus.   And i love mike, but he is average way too often and also injured.

So to recap.  I'm not excited at all.  I think the ceiling for next year's team is the same as this past year.  Barely making the playoffs in 7th or 8th and a first round exit.   If you want to know the worse case scenairo, look back at the past season.  It could happen again.

The old G 'n' G crew earned that title nightly with their performance by working harder and outlasting the competition.  They also gave us an identity as a team.  It remains to be seen if the new crew is deserving of that identity.

I like defense a lot more than most folks, and if you don't have an elite scoring superstar, which we don't, defense is your best chance of competing.  I like winning way more than losing, so since we have been unable to land that elite scorer, I am okay with a defensive emphasis, however, I am not fond of trying to resell a bygone era with a lot of publicity, or a style that some other team previously laid claim to.  It never seems to work out and cheapens it, or it just comes across as cheesy.  This group of players needs to establish their own identity, and you do that by figuring out your strengths and capitalizing on them to become a winner.

57 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

The old G 'n' G crew earned that title nightly with their performance by working harder and outlasting the competition.  They also gave us an identity as a team.  It remains to be seen if the new crew is deserving of that identity.

I like defense a lot more than most folks, and if you don't have an elite scoring superstar, which we don't, defense is your best chance of competing.  I like winning way more than losing, so since we have been unable to land that elite scorer, I am okay with a defensive emphasis, however, I am not fond of trying to resell a bygone era with a lot of publicity, or a style that some other team previously laid claim to.  It never seems to work out and cheapens it, or it just comes across as cheesy.  This group of players needs to establish their own identity, and you do that by figuring out your strengths and capitalizing on them to become a winner.

Yes, especially the part in bold.

GnG is not something you just declare.  That became our identity not because we chose to conform to a certain identity, but because we built an identity organically and it was a perfect moniker for that identity.  Especially an identity forged on hard-nosed, "in the mud" take you down to the last possession physicality. 

When you're fake tough, you get quotes from guys like Z-bo saying "I'll beat yo ***".  If we are going to be GnG 2.0, we'd better be ready to bring the goods.  We'd be much better off waiting to see if we're going to continue to be that, or not.  It is possible for identities to last through roster shifts - but more often than not, they go away with lineup changes.

Said another way, who emulates GnG on our current roster?  Conley is tough as nails, sure.  But having an unnatural pain tolerance and being intimidating are 2 different things entirely.  We don't have a single intimidating player on our roster today.  Are you going to be feeling the GnG the first time another team's player pushes us around in our own house?  Because it could happen this year.

For that matter, how can our organization be declaring anything after it just posted the 2nd worst record in the league?

5 hours ago, memphis slim said:

to be blunt, I couldn't care less about what marketing term we want to throw on this thing. g&g is fine. we all know tony and zbo was g&g. just get us great players and let's win. 

slim. 

... Dunkyland - never forget

I'm seeing JJJ and Carter as two of the not-very-many players in the draft who could make us GnG again. 

4 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

BEST fit for either of these two were in Memphis in a defense/rebounding first scheme a la a Bad Boys or Spurs dynasty.

Bamba might get lost in Orlando.  

Not sure that is a great franchise right now.  But, same with Sacto.

Probably the best two flyover markets at the top of this draft are us and Dallas.

With Phoenix and Atlanta being wild cards.  Those franchises are due so who knows.

Between JJJ and Bamba, once Dallas tipped its hand and we found out about them wanting to trade up for Doncic then that told me (well, I didn't fully realize it until just now) that the Mavs didn't really want Bamba.  If Dallas liked BOTH Luka AND Bamba then 1 of those two might have still been there at 5 -- or you trade with us at 4 instead of having to move up TWO spots.

I think Atlanta popped the Snowflake Ball Era when they took Trae Young (trading down) with Luka, JJJ, and Bamba as options.  Collin Sexton would have even been MY pick for point guard.  I think Sexton/Huerter would have been a NASTY combo.

I think the Mavs liked Bamba, they just like Luka over him as the pick. Im really down that we lost the chance on Luka just as much as you are about loosing on Bamba, but if that serve as consolation for you, 3J has a lot of similarities with Bamba.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

1 hour ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Yes, especially the part in bold.

GnG is not something you just declare.  That became our identity not because we chose to conform to a certain identity, but because we built an identity organically and it was a perfect moniker for that identity.  Especially an identity forged on hard-nosed, "in the mud" take you down to the last possession physicality. 

When you're fake tough, you get quotes from guys like Z-bo saying "I'll beat yo ***".  If we are going to be GnG 2.0, we'd better be ready to bring the goods.  We'd be much better off waiting to see if we're going to continue to be that, or not.  It is possible for identities to last through roster shifts - but more often than not, they go away with lineup changes.

Said another way, who emulates GnG on our current roster?  Conley is tough as nails, sure.  But having an unnatural pain tolerance and being intimidating are 2 different things entirely.  We don't have a single intimidating player on our roster today.  Are you going to be feeling the GnG the first time another team's player pushes us around in our own house?  Because it could happen this year.

For that matter, how can our organization be declaring anything after it just posted the 2nd worst record in the league?

I (with all due respect) think you guys are over-reading it.

It is not declaring THIS group GNG but moreso declaring that GNG is what we are going back to.

Fizdale came in with that stupidity about the "Miami way" and talking about a "culture change". The culture was fine. GNG is the culture that fits with the Memphis market, Memphis fanbase, and the only way to win with a Memphis NBA franchise.

We are not going to get the flashy free agents, nor are we ever going to be ESPN darlings. We have to have guys who are willing to fight and grind for everything, every game and every possession. Hopefully we can draft talented guys who have that mentality and sign FA guys who have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove to go along with that. This is the only formula that is likely to win in Memphis.

I love JB's embracing of that Mantra. We don't have to play slow to be GNG, we can play up tempo as long as we are efficient on offense and can get back to being tough and physical and relentless on defense. Most of these players and teams in the league right now are soft and will fold if the scoring is not easy to come by. They will bail out, look for the path of least resistance and take bad shots if you force them do so and that is where our advantage lies.

Like JB said everyone wants to be Golden State without having the firepower that Golden State has. Why should we not aspire to be unique?

You don't succeed by fighting fire with fire, you succeed by fighting fire with WATER. 

guess I missed the "athletic superstar wing scorer/shooter/creator" in this draft. 

Well, Collin Sexton MIGHT grow 7 inches and find a jumper this offseason. You never know.

2 hours ago, trayhezy said:

It is not declaring THIS group GNG but moreso declaring that GNG is what we are going back to.

Fizdale came in with that stupidity about the "Miami way" and talking about a "culture change". The culture was fine. GNG is the culture that fits with the Memphis market, Memphis fanbase, and the only way to win with a Memphis NBA franchise.

We are not going to get the flashy free agents, nor are we ever going to be ESPN darlings. We have to have guys who are willing to fight and grind for everything, every game and every possession. Hopefully we can draft talented guys who have that mentality and sign FA guys who have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove to go along with that. This is the only formula that is likely to win in Memphis.

I love JB's embracing of that Mantra. We don't have to play slow to be GNG, we can play up tempo as long as we are efficient on offense and can get back to being tough and physical and relentless on defense. Most of these players and teams in the league right now are soft and will fold if the scoring is not easy to come by. They will bail out, look for the path of least resistance and take bad shots if you force them do so and that is where our advantage lies.

Like JB said everyone wants to be Golden State without having the firepower that Golden State has. Why should we not aspire to be unique?

You don't succeed by fighting fire with fire, you succeed by fighting fire with WATER. 

well said sir...100%...and the fact we have had our worst seasons trying to be something we are not...Memphis and alot of other areas (there is a fanbase outside of the surround area) like grimy players, tough physically and mentally..im ready to do this let go back to make superstar get tossed/t'd up, lets go back to having our oppenents have to take ice bathes after they play us.

I agree with just about everything you've said here.  I'm a huge fan of playing the grit 'n' grind way and you're right, it doesn't have to be slow, ... or fast.  We just have to have guys who understand effort, execution, and persistence knowing that outworking the opponent will bring them the greatest chance of success, and can even prevail over superior talent.  If you don't have the elite talent on your roster it's really all you have left to try to compete.  You just have to have a team of players who will play that way.  I hope these guys are, and I look forward to seeing them develop.  We could find that we do have superior talent, but it's on the other end of the floor.

What I would not like is the FO trying to capitalize on the grit 'n' grind identity with some big PR hype just to sell tickets before we even know what sort of identity this group will have.

Sure.  And I'm saying it's just words until you show it on the court.  And you don't resort to words when you're telling everyone your manning up.

Again - this isn't like David Robinson going down and they brought in Duncan and started killing.  There is nothing to suggest this past season was a blip.  The very next year after breaking up the core of GnG, we just tied the worst season in Memphis franchise history in terms of winning percentage.  And our best addition to the roster this year is not going to help change things in his rookie season.

GnG doesn't put the fear of God in anybody if we can't even sniff the playoffs.  Maybe give us a couple of years, and if they want to keep bringing in players that fit that mold, and we start winning again, we won't have to say anything - the fans and media will start saying it for us.

Let's say this another way - does any team that just went 22-60 compare themselves to past teams from the glory years?  I remember the year after Kobe left, when the Lakers posted a 26-56 record and finished 14th in the West.  About midway through the season after going on a long losing streak, they beat some team of little import, and in the post game interview, whoever it was they were talking to, 2-3 other Lakers start clowning behind the guy talking about how great they were (I wish I could find the clip on YouTube).  And Sports Center that night makes THAT one of the top stories.  It made the Lakers a laughing stock for that news cycle. 

I guess what it really shows is the hubris of this team, and their unwavering belief that a post-30's, injury-riddled two-man battery is going to lead this collection of role players to a playoff spot.  We just went through a season where the coach who was supposed to be the architect of the next Grizzlies wave of success got unceremoniously thrown out on his ear. A season of complete lack of direction while our owner decided whether or not he wanted the team.  I am not being a downer, I am being a realist.  And to think our F.O. has the nerve to declare we're still GnG when it was responsible for orchestrating its dismantling, frankly ticks me off.  This isn't even about our players - it's about the unmitigated gall of a F.O. to refuse to acknowledge what an atrocious season we just had.  If they can't even be honest with themselves, why should I trust them when they say we're bringing the GnG this year?

I am excited about GNG 2.0.

With Kevin Garnett 2.0 and Mark Jackson 2.0 on the team, it's going to be 50+ win season. 

I like it that this team is purposely built like the Detroit Pistons 2.0.

nSVHxtH.jpg

12 minutes ago, MEM GRYZ said:

I am excited about GNG 2.0.

With Kevin Garnett 2.0 and Mark Jackson 2.0 on the team, it's going to be 50+ win season. 

I like it that this team is purposely built like the Detroit Pistons 2.0.

nSVHxtH.jpg

Rasheed Wallace man! that's a name you don't hear very much these days and kind of surprising when you think about it,... hes his own player that wont be duplicated

to answer the op's question, Im a lot more excited than I thought I would be.... I don't see play offs in next years future but Im excited to watch these kids become a team... lots of optimism