Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2018 Free agents and trades

Like last year's thread: Post other teams trade and free agent deals here.  Grizzlies related as about half of these impact the Western Conference, and some the Southwest Division.

All are future opponents.

I refuse to believe Dwight Howard was that bad of a player that the Hornets were willing to take on a worse player on a worse contract. He must've been a real locker room problem.

Annnnnd now he's about to be bought out. Howard for the MLE anyone? Wonder if his ego could take coming off the bench, he'd be a dominant 6th man.

Thad Young opted in for the Pacers, which does remove some of the cap room (instead of opting out and resigning another deal, I believe).

They have 3 players with moderately big, non-guaranteed deals (all $10 mm each or more): Darren Collison, Bojan Bogdanovic and Al Jefferson.  I feel like Collison and Bojan will be retained as they averaged over 30 minutes/game in the playoffs, whereas big Al may be done in Indiana, but find a minimum deal somewhere.

Surprised they gave Chris Paul that give contact. Hope that backfires on Houston... 

Some teams are going to have to shed some salary or pay some taxes.  Those teams with salary cap space are going to be picking up some draft picks, and possibly some pretty good players. (Maybe Pacers & Sixers will use that strategy)

The MLE doesn't allow teams to take salary in a trade, correct? It's purely for signing a player to a contract, right?

List of all FA signings and new deals

July 1

47 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

The MLE doesn't allow teams to take salary in a trade, correct? It's purely for signing a player to a contract, right?

Correct. You can do a S&T and receive more salary, but that’s like with any other trade.

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Correct. You can do a S&T and receive more salary, but that’s like with any other trade.

I thought under S & T rules, you can only take back 50% of the salary you send out? Or something like that. They have complications and just scoff when people throw out S&T suggestions like they are easy.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I thought under S & T rules, you can only take back 50% of the salary you send out? Or something like that. They have complications and just scoff when people throw out S&T suggestions like they are easy.

Turns out I was wrong, you can’t use the MLE for a S&T.

• The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Turns out I was wrong, you can’t use the MLE for a S&T.

• The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

In general, when was the last sign and trade that anyone remembers? Just the fact that they rarely happen tells me they are usually unrealistic under most circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

In general, when was the last sign and trade that anyone remembers? Just the fact that they rarely happen tells me they are usually unrealistic under most circumstances.

I don’t recall any since the new CBA was signed. Definitely none with marquee players.

48 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I don’t recall any since the new CBA was signed. Definitely none with marquee players.

Ok Millsap and Gallanari was one.  But Millsap would have signed anyway I know. Maybe Gallanari too. When you have teams with cap room it lessens the complications.