memphis slim

CW- Front office direction

a serious question and subject for conversation directed toward the ownership and the gm..

where are we going? what is the plan?

it is not a flippant, smart question. it is a legitimate, sincere question from a season-ticket holder and devoted fan since heisley first addressed the fan base at peabody place before a nba ball was tipped.

at the end of the year at fef, Wallace stated that the immediate plan was to draft a couple of really good players in the draft, get healthy and get back in the playoffs.

is that it? what about as father time slowly diminishes mike and marc (as is happening)... grit and grind has got out. what now?

will there be no clearly vocalized plan for the franchise moving forward?

I will be in the forum on thursday night supporting this team and this city.

it would be great if the franchise brass could let us in on just a hair of the plan moving forward...

and, please...don't say to get in the playoffs. surely we must be aspiring to a little more than that.

slim. 

I think the plan is to kick this group down the line another season and see how bad things get. Other than that I haven't seen any semblance of a plan since Wallace returned to replace Levien. 

The grizzlies plan was started a couple of years ago, to get younger, which they are doing, while still being competitive.

The grizzlies plan last year after mike went down was to tank for a high draft pick. Which they did.

I am sure the plan next year is to get and stay healthy and try to continue developing our younger players.

You seem to want the grizzlies to trade mike and marc, which is not in the grizzlies plan.

I for one would have liked the grizzlies to go with a coach that has a vision for the team.
Also, this draft pick will largely dictate where the grizzlies go from here, what type of team they will be.

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies plan was started a couple of years ago, to get younger, which they are doing, while still being competitive.

The grizzlies plan last year after mike went down was to tank for a high draft pick. Which they did.

I am sure the plan next year is to get and stay healthy and try to continue developing our younger players.

You seem to want the grizzlies to trade mike and marc, which is not in the grizzlies plan.

I for one would have liked the grizzlies to go with a coach that has a vision for the team.
Also, this draft pick will largely dictate where the grizzlies go from here, what type of team they will be.

Just curious but when was the last time the Grizzlies were competitive? 

They were bad last season and mediocre the previous two seasons but what year was the team last competitive? 

i have terrible memory for stuff like this but didn't we won 50 and 51 games in DJs last year ?

we seemed somewhat competitive Fizzles first year...

last year was rough

Also, let me say that before the warriors became the warriors, they had 17 losing seasons.
17, man. They were one of the worst teams in the league.
It doesn't matter how you look at it, finding a core group of players that can get you to the playoffs is not as easy as just sucking.
My whole view on it was that the grizzlies need to invest early in identifying the players that make up their core and KEEP them together.
Instead of always looking to replace a player with better talent. I made a thread about it.
The good thing about the grizzles approach is that they have kept Mike and Marc, otherwise this thing could go off the rails quick.
But maybe that's what this board needs, a good 17 years of under .500 basketball to appreciate the fact of "Just making the playoffs."
The warriors got lucky, plain and simple. But their luck is like winning a lottery ticket.
Okc, got really lucky. Where are they at now? Trying to convince a washed up PG to stay with their team.
The grizzlies could spend 17 years getting back to the playoffs, so the people that want high draft picks will have plenty of years getting them.

I think the plan is to use this summer to explore any and all options (including potentially trading the pick) to get better and be competitive in the 2018-2019 season with Mike and Marc.

If they are unable to make any real significant strides, then I would expect an all out fire sale this fall/winter and possibly going into full rebuild mode.

A 3 Year Plan would be nice right about now. We're stuck in the mud right now. We're trying to get the most out of Mike and Marc while hoping and praying Parsons is somewhat healthy and useful, while adding late first round/second round fringe NBA talent and hoping that we win. 

I think the best way to look at this is from an outside looking in perspective, because as fans, we hold on to hope due to our emotional attachment to the team.

If this team was the Pelicans, small market, roughly 20% of their payroll tied to a player that hasn't played more than 26 minutes in any game for 2 seasons who probably will not get better, 2 best players on the wrong side of 30, the rest of the roster nothing to write home about. So this Pelican team is selling the hope of getting back to their Western Conf. finals days from 6 seasons ago? With that and a #4 pick? 

Small market teams have a taller hill to climb. A small market team with a 20% salary handicap is screwed. This team has no hope of recovering until the bad contract is removed. Players A and B who are on the wrong side of 30 won't be worth a darn by the time the ship can be righted. It's pretty obvious what this Pelican team needs to do yet their F.O. does NOTHING. They choose to ignore the problems as a child would. They refuse to make the hard decisions as a responsible adult would. Until there is a plan, there is no direction.

1 hour ago, guillermo said:

i have terrible memory for stuff like this but didn't we won 50 and 51 games in DJs last year ?

we seemed somewhat competitive Fizzles first year...

last year was rough

No. The team won 43 games and were swept in the first round of the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Chip: why are you attacking my post with a rhetotical question, wouldn't that be aggressive behavior toward another poster?

Attacking you? I simply asked  questions. I highlighted where you said the team was competitive until last season. When has winning 43 and 44 games made you competitive? I’d call that mediocre.

If I said you were stupid thinking the team was competitive the last three seasons that would be attacking you instead of the post.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

No. The team won 43 games and were swept in the first round of the playoffs. 

not going to argue semantics but making playoffs should qualify as "somewhat competitive"

the more i think about it not only do I stand by original statement of that team being "somewhat competitive" I think its the perfect description of that season... somewhat competitive.  

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I truly do not know where you come up with this stuff.

I have never put in writing that I would like to see mike get traded- not once.

back to regular programming.

slim.

49 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I think the best way to look at this is from an outside looking in perspective, because as fans, we hold on to hope due to our emotional attachment to the team.

If this team was the Pelicans, small market, roughly 20% of their payroll tied to a player that hasn't played more than 26 minutes in any game for 2 seasons who probably will not get better, 2 best players on the wrong side of 30, the rest of the roster nothing to write home about. So this Pelican team is selling the hope of getting back to their Western Conf. finals days from 6 seasons ago? With that and a #4 pick? 

Small market teams have a taller hill to climb. A small market team with a 20% salary handicap is screwed. This team has no hope of recovering until the bad contract is removed. Players A and B who are on the wrong side of 30 won't be worth a darn by the time the ship can be righted. It's pretty obvious what this Pelican team needs to do yet their F.O. does NOTHING. They choose to ignore the problems as a child would. They refuse to make the hard decisions as a responsible adult would. Until there is a plan, there is no direction.

a tough read, but one hard to counter.

slim.

57 minutes ago, pardon_my_interruption said:

I think the plan is to................................

exactly my point for the thread.

leadership, real leadership, is laying out a clear, distinct vision for the path ahead.

I don't see that at the top here.

slim.

17 minutes ago, guillermo said:

not going to argue semantics but making playoffs should qualify as "somewhat competitive"

the more i think about it not only do I stand by original statement of that team being "somewhat competitive" I think its the perfect description of that season... somewhat competitive.  

Jerry West used to say that being in the middle of the NBA is the worst place you can be. Not good enough to win a title and not bad enough to get a franchise changing player. 

One game above .500 and getting swept in the playoffs is mediocre not somewhat competitive. Sonewhat conpetitive is challenging for at least a conference finals to me. You may not reach the conference finals but at least you are somewhat competitive. 

For perspective, 43 wins would have tied for 8th in the East this season and 10th in the West. That is mediocre.

Pera just wants to keep making the playoffs to keep revenue up and Wallace just wants to keep his job

The Titans since hiring Jon Robinson are the exact opposite of the Grizzlies situation 

24 minutes ago, guillermo said:

+1

Posters here act as if you're a failure if you didn't win a championship 

1 minute ago, Allen said:

Pera just wants to make the playoffs to keep revenue up and Wallace just wants to keep his job

bingo!

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Jerry West used to say that being in the middle of the NBA is the worst place you can be. Not good enough to win a title and not bad enough to get a franchise changing player. 

One game above .500 and getting swept in the playoffs is mediocre not somewhat competitive. Sonewhat conpetitive is challenging for at least a conference finals to me. You may not reach the conference finals but at least you are somewhat competitive. 

For perspective, 43 wins would have tied for 8th in the East this season and 10th in the West. That is mediocre.

i lied I'm going to argue semantics with you Chip.  Hope you enjoy this.

Sounds like we have different definitions of what is competitive, When I say " somewhat competitive" I mean- making playoff  around- .500 ball or even just missing playoffs.

Going to conference finals would be "amazingly competitive" to me.

winning title would be "too much competitiveness to handle"

so in essence- to me "mediocre" = "somewhat competitive"

hope this helped

I never said another poster was stupid chip, you need to go back and read that post.
I said the organization would be stupid.
You asked a rhetorical question that you seemed to know the answer to, in an attempt to be agressive toward my thought process.
Which you do constantly.

Let me just echo your words: I have an opinion, don't make it personal.

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It all boils down to perspective and you have to look at the circumstances. Considering what we've accomplished with what we have,  imho that's a lot more than just mediocre 

28 minutes ago, guillermo said:

"Somewhat competitive"  =   "Woo-hoo! Everybody gets a participation ribbon AND a juice box too!!" **

**Some of my fellow St Louis Cardinals fans are starting to turn into "OK with a participation ribbon and a juice box" which makes me sick.  It makes me want to friggin barf.   A franchise with eleven world championships.  16 times in the playoffs since 1982.  7 times National League champs in that same time.  Now they are going to miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight year.  It is *NOT* "just fine."