chipc3

Trade Likely Coming for Draft

I did a little digging (and by little I mean I read the Grizzlies Media Relations Draft Guide) and discovered that the Grizzlies have made draft night trades in 13 of the 17 drafts while in Memphis. The only years the team hasn't made a draft night trade were 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2012. With so much indecision about who to take at the top of the draft (and the assumed desire for a 2019 first round pick if the team reaches their stated goal of 50 wins) it is highly likely that the Grizzlies will be making at least one trade on draft night. 

The problem is the roster size. The Grizzlies have 12 players with guaranteed contracts for next season (Dillon Brooks, MarShon Brooks, Mike Conley, Deyonta Davis, Marc Gasol, JaMychal Green, Andrew Harrison, Jarell Martin, Ben McLemore, Chandler Parsons, Ivan Rabb and Wayne Selden) and two players on 2 way deals (Myke Henry and Kobi Simmons) plus Tyreke Evans as a free agent that the team says they still want to resign. The Grizzlies also have two draft picks in the top 32 spots of a deep draft. 

If the team trades down to pick up a player and extra picks then they will need to jettison some players to make room for everyone. So when discussing potential moves try to keep in mind that the trades have to make basketball sense, financially be viable and leave the team with the requisite number of guaranteed contracts.  

Guaranteed contracts, especially the small ones or expiring ones, can be cut. A Martin or Davis can be cut. Even McLemore.

The only financial requisite in the NBA is staying below the tax (for most teams). 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Guaranteed contracts, especially the small ones or expiring ones, can be cut. A Martin or Davis can be cut. Even McLemore.

The only financial requisite in the NBA is staying below the tax (for most teams). 

I was wondering about that. I imagine they want one last look at both Martin and Davis.

Don't see how anyone needs to see anything else from McLemore though.

McLemore is an expiring contract who may have some value around the trade deadline. Now, not so much. I expect him to be gone by the deadline one way or another.

I suppose the Grizzlies could cut Martin or Davis if they draft a big. Makes no sense to keep Davis at least under that scenario. Martin at least can be an emergency replacement at SF. Davis is only a big and seems lost most of the time on the court. 

Besides does anyone really believe the Grizzlies will resign Evans right now? 

Given what Wallace said around the trade deadline, I expect another deal to be done involving a 2nd round pick.  I think the Grizzlies will want to pick up another 2nd pick.

I think the Grizzlies may sign Tyreke right now based on what's now available (see page 1 of free agency thread).  I think the odds are 40/60 (more likely they do not sign him though).

Mike Wallace from Grind City Media told a group of season ticket holders that he put the odds of the Grizzlies trading down at about 60/40. 

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Mike Wallace from Grind City Media told a group of season ticket holders that he put the odds of the Grizzlies trading down at about 60/40. 

Would that mean we end up at 7, 22, and 32.  I believe we would get equal value out of each pick.  

Lord knows we need more scrubs on this roster....add 1 rotational and 2 scrub draft slots in the draft to a team with 14 or so under contract already?  Sounds Grizzly.

I'm ok for a trade if it is too strategically add talent, but i'm not sure what deal out there does that.

I'm not ok with a trade if it is to get out from the Parson's contract unless it was some team in the top 6.

The draft is still the best way for a team like Memphis to add talent, and they have a better chance to do that at 4 then at 7 or 21/22.

I would also be OK with #4 and #32 for #2, especially if the Grizzlies were able to buy their way back into the 2nd round.  Again, I don't think that deal is on the table.

So there is a rumor going around that Memphis wants to trade the # 4 pick.   I'm hearing this includes Chandler Parson possible over to Cleveland for Kevin Love and George Hill.

This would give Memphis an immediate need and fill with another All Star in Love to pair with Mike Conley and Marc Gasol.

Conley

George Hill

Tyreke Evans

Kevin Love

Marc Gasol

Does this team win 45 to 50 games?  

What should Memphis do with their # 4 pick?  I don't think a #4 pick in this years draft will help Memphis win 45 or 50 games.  At least Love and Hill puts you back in the mix of the playoffs.     But I think Hill is owed $18 million for the next 2 years.

Cleveland will then own the # 4 pick and the #8 pick....Yikes.

17 minutes ago, The REF said:

So there is a rumor going around that Memphis wants to trade the # 4 pick.   I'm hearing this includes Chandler Parson possible over to Cleveland for Kevin Love and George Hill.

This would give Memphis an immediate need and fill with another All Star in Love to pair with Mike Conley and Marc Gasol.

Conley

George Hill

Tyreke Evans

Kevin Love

Marc Gasol

What should Memphis do with their # 4 pick?  I don't think a #4 pick in this years draft will help Memphis win 45 or 50 games.  At least Love and Hill puts you back in the mix of the playoffs.     But I think Hill is owed $18 million for the next 2 years.

they would help in marc/mike era but long term we should keep pick

22 minutes ago, The REF said:

Conley

George Hill

Tyreke Evans

Kevin Love

Marc Gasol

Kevin Love ($24 million) and George Hill ($19 mil) are schedule dto make a combined $43 million next year. That trade does not work. The salaries don't work and why would Memphis want a 6'2" mainly PG to put in the starting lineup?

5 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Would that mean we end up at 7, 22, and 32.  I believe we would get equal value out of each pick.  

Actually it just means he believes it is more likely the Grizzlies trade down than pick 4th. The rest is just conjecture.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Actually it just means he believes it is more likely the Grizzlies trade down than pick 4th. The rest is just conjecture.

Real GM is saying we are shopping Parsons and the 4th pick. Would that be a part of a trade down (maybe 7/22 or 12/13)? We can get talent pretty much anywhere but it would be harder lower than 7... unless someone falls. And who knows what the NBA GMs' big boards look like.

Cam was first to notice this so he gets all the credit if it happens but after the MPJ stuff yesterday the ringer did something weird with their mock. Apparently the Grizz really like Kevin Knox and Porter really likes Chicago. The ringer put Porter at 4 and Knox at 7. Now if you go look at bulls bloggers and message boards the consensus was they would have to trade up for Porter.

Memphis can't afford to be wrong about Porter injury wiseso there is no way they risk picking him and I truly believe they want a wing in this draft more than any of the PF/C up at 4.

My theory is that Memphis has a deal in place with Chicago baring Luka is gone and maybe Bagley(not sure how high they are on him) that they would draft Porter trade him to Chicago for Knox at 7 and likely also get 22 and maybe an additional player. 

Now I think Luka is plan A but that deal might be plan B. Also Green Davis and either Ben or Martin won't be on the team at the start of the season. 

Can we please stop talking like Tyreke is apart of the team it's very likely he's not coming back

Supposedly the Mavs' are interested in the 4th pick and are willing to take on more money for it.

I bet you anything the Grizz FO are seeking to acquire Harrison Barnes in some sort of scenario. I don't want this! I'm not impressed with his game and would much rather hold steady at pick 4 and bet on the long term instead of a quick fix to stay relevant. Barnes isn't a game changer to me. I'd rather let DIllon Brooks continue to develop and see if he can become that dynamic wing player we've needed for quite some time.

Pull a "Jackie Moon" and trade Ben McLemore, Chandler Parsons, and Ivan Rabb for a washing machine.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Cam was first to notice this so he gets all the credit if it happens but after the MPJ stuff yesterday the ringer did something weird with their mock. Apparently the Grizz really like Kevin Knox and Porter really likes Chicago. The ringer put Porter at 4 and Knox at 7. Now if you go look at bulls bloggers and message boards the consensus was they would have to trade up for Porter.

Memphis can't afford to be wrong about Porter injury wiseso there is no way they risk picking him and I truly believe they want a wing in this draft more than any of the PF/C up at 4.

My theory is that Memphis has a deal in place with Chicago baring Luka is gone and maybe Bagley(not sure how high they are on him) that they would draft Porter trade him to Chicago for Knox at 7 and likely also get 22 and maybe an additional player. 

Now I think Luka is plan A but that deal might be plan B. Also Green Davis and either Ben or Martin won't be on the team at the start of the season. 

Can we please stop talking like Tyreke is apart of the team it's very likely he's not coming back

I could live with this deal if we could move Parsons as part of it.

While I have been pretty adamant about keeping the #4 pick no matter what, anything we do at this point becomes a gamble with some risk.  Unless we got Bagley with that 4, I would be intrigued with getting Knox at 7.  He  brings that offensive capability we'd be looking for.  And, he's on an upward trajectory in the workouts, indicating he could be a better pro than folks anticipated.

This also assumes that with the opening in our cap space, we would try to go out and sign or trade for a solid rotation player, perhaps even two if we find the right combo/price point.

We don't have great history adding through FA, but we've also landed a few.  But then again, we don't have a great draft history either, so again, everything is a gamble.  Getting the Parsons albatross off our necks immediately is worth thinking about, if the idea is to get back into the playoff picture immediately with Gasol/Conley still around.

The problem I see with any trade involving Parsons is I would think the other team would still want to do some kind of physical exam with him....after all, what stupid front office would take on a Parsons contract without a physical exam being done.

With the OJ Mayo for Kevin Love draft night trade in mind, they should simply take the best big guy available at 4 and the best versatile guy who can defend and hit some threes at 32.  Better safe than burned.

They tanked pretty hard to get a high high pick.  Trading it away would be pure extract of stupidity.

Just make good picks at 4 and 32.  Please.

3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The problem I see with any trade involving Parsons is I would think the other team would still want to do some kind of physical exam with him....after all, what stupid front office would take on a Parsons contract without a physical exam being done.

I dont think so. Any team taking Parsons at this point has to know he is crap. If he plays well in 5 games thats a bonus.

I still hate the idea of going after Parsons relief because I know there were probably alternative offers.

Example, if the Bulls offered 7, 22 and the Grizzlies choice of Portis or Parsons relief....I know the Grizzlies would pick Parsons relief. Only to sign a player on the market no better than Portis for big bucks.

My issue is that we've spent two years trying to get Parsons right. He had the surgery in Germany this summer and actually may have a shot at a productive Year 3. A trade down using Parsons will look more stupid if he ends up playing well on the other team and we bum out on the pick. Not to mention overpay another player.

Its so many bad things that can happen with doing this.

BTW, how much cap will we have if we traded Parsons without taking anything back? Checking out basketballinsiders, we would be at $78.6M cap wise. Add in Tyreke and Chalmers cap holds and that's an additional $5M or so. I'm assuming we would just withdraw from those cap holds. If the deal involved Portis, then add $2.4M to the roster.

Its also hard for me to see a team like Chicago sacrificing their flexibility for Parsons to move up 3 spots. They are one of the few teams with flexibility this summer and they will sacrifice it? I have a feeling they would want to put Asik in that deal.