Grizzled Vet

Vegas Summer League

Memphis Grizzlies NBA Summer League 2018 Preliminary Schedule

Date Opponent Time (CT) Time (PT) Site
Saturday, July 7 Detroit Pistons 8 pm 6 pm COX Pavilion
Sunday, July 8 Orlando Magic 8:30 pm 6:30 pm Thomas & Mack
Tuesday, July 10 Sacramento Kings 5:30 pm 3:30 pm Thomas & Mack

Who do you think is on the summer league roster?

#4 pick

#32 pick 

Ivan Rabb

Deyonta Davis

Myke Henry

Kobi Simmons

Omari Johnson

I'm guessing another 2nd round draft pick will be purchased or traded for

Just not sure on Deyonta Davis, Jarell Martin or Wayne Selden. 

I'm guessing Selden won't because they want him healthy.  Harrison, Martin and D. Brooks played too many minutes, but DD needs as much burn as possible...maybe

11 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

#4 pick

#32 pick 

Ivan Rabb

Deyonta Davis

Myke Henry

Kobi Simmons

Omari Johnson

I'm guessing Selden won't because they want him healthy.  Harrison, Martin and D. Brooks played too many minutes, but DD needs as much burn as possible...maybe

Of all the players we currently have on the roster Deyonta ranked 7th in minutes played last season.  With those minutes he raised his already good field goal percentage 10 points to a team best 60.8%, raised his not so good FT% 11 points, increased his output in nearly every statistical category per minute while decreasing his fouls per minute and has the third highest PER on the team, yet people act as if he isn't improving.  I suppose it's because he can't create his own shot and isn't flashy, IDK.

You mean INJURED #32 pick, right?

1 hour ago, Xerion said:

You mean INJURED #32 pick, right?

Don't be an alarmist, he'll be ready for summer league training camp pre-season season start December the ASG next season retirement.

9 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

#4 pick

#32 pick 

Ivan Rabb

Deyonta Davis

Myke Henry

Kobi Simmons

Omari Johnson

Our #4 pick won't be playing SL

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Don't be an alarmist, he'll be ready for summer league training camp pre-season season start December the ASG next season retirement.

I don't know, retirement would be 40-45 years out. The treatment plan for the soon to happen injury is 50 years of rehab plus another 6 months before returning to basketball related activities.

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't know, retirement would be 40-45 years out. The treatment plan for the soon to happen injury is 50 years of rehab plus another 6 months before returning to basketball related activities.

You’re confused....that treatment plan is for a max contract free agent

45 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Our #4 pick won't be playing SL

He better if he isn't injured. 

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

He better if he isn't injured. 

If it's Doncic he might skip it or play limited minutes. He's looking exhausted in his latest few games (he's played 150 games since October 2016) and still has 3-4 games to go until the draft. He'd need to rest and hit the weights more than he'd need a few more games.

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

If it's Doncic he might skip it or play limited minutes. He's looking exhausted in his latest few games (he's played 150 games since October 2016) and still has 3-4 games to go until the draft. He'd need to rest and hit the weights more than he'd need a few more games.

He might but more likely he'd play limited minutes and work out with the team. There is very little chance he wouldn't play in summer league. 

56 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Do you think his summer commitments will interfere with his ability to improve or address his weaknesses during NBA offseasons going forward?     I really think if he was able to attend the combines and focus on working on his body instead of playing.   That he could've been consensus #2 pick.    

I really do believe that an NBA training staff can improve his athleticism but only if he is willing to put in the work. 

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Do you think his summer commitments will interfere with his ability to improve or address his weaknesses during NBA offseasons going forward?     I really think if he was able to attend the combines and focus on working on his body instead of playing.   That he could've been consensus #2 pick.    

I really do believe that an NBA training staff can improve his athleticism but only if he is willing to put in the work. 

if you believe Doncic has the talent to be the #2 pick then the Grizzlies would be wise not to overthink his work habits and take him at #4 if he is available. Seems like that would be a major win for the Grizzlies. 

Everyone should realize Doncic is under contract with Real Madrid and has been since he was a youngster. I can't believe people are criticizing him for honoring his contract and playing for his team instead of faking an injury to prepare for the draft. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

He might but more likely he'd play limited minutes and work out with the team. There is very little chance he wouldn't play in summer league. 

Oh yeah, he'd join the team for sure, I just don't see him playing full games or at full speed until he has had a chance to wind down.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

Oh yeah, he'd join the team for sure, I just don't see him playing full games or at full speed until he has had a chance to wind down.

I can see that scenario playing out but I would expect him to play in summer league. He needs to get adjusted to the speed of the game and the team needs to see where he will fit in. 

Summer league guys are closer to AAU players that play 7 games in a long weekend than they are the seasoned NBA vet that needs long recovery.  Barring injury, or the ghost of Michael Heisley getting involved in rookie contract negotiations, the rookies are going to play.

30 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't think it'll be a problem. He's a gym rat and he's been going to P3 training in Santa Barbara the last two summers, even though he was also playing with Slovenia. Plus Slovenia is not a perennial participant in FIBA competions like Spain or France, he'll probably have less committments than other international players. And now there's the competition free summer every four years (this year is the first one) to lighten the overall load.

In the end the problem with playing in the summer is the long term extra game load and injury risk (although you can also get injured in a pickup game or riding a bike), not the ability to work on body/skills. Dirk, Pau, Parker, Manu, and most big international players haven't had any developmental issues for playing internationally.

The biggest problem for international players' development is that they are used to have their training regime planned and supported by their teams, while in the NBA you are expected to work on yourself without much direction from the team. The fact that Doncic is getting US based training already makes me think he's aware and ready for this change.

About the consensus #2, there are objective reasons for him to fall in the draft (still remains to be seen) but not being able to attend the combine would be the most stupid of them all. Everyone knew since 2016 he would not be able to attend because of his contract and that didn't affect his draft stock prior to the lottery

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

if you believe Doncic has the talent to be the #2 pick then the Grizzlies would be wise not to overthink his work habits and take him at #4 if he is available. Seems like that would be a major win for the Grizzlies. 

Talent-wise yes, no doubt about it; but that's only half the equation when it comes to success in NBA.   Question marks are his athleticism and work ethic and those two factors can knock anyone out of Top picks.   NBA has tons of stories of guys that were uber-talented that didn't make it.  

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Talent-wise yes, no doubt about it; but that's only half the equation when it comes to success in NBA.   Question marks are his athleticism and work ethic and those two factors can knock anyone out of Top picks.   NBA has tons of stories of guys that were uber-talented that didn't make it.  

So are you questioning his work ethic for playing too many games for his country and the team he is under contract with? Seems to me work ethic is the least of concerns about Doncic since he's playing his heart out for his team.

Athleticism is a concern however. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

His athleticism of course, but you can safely disregard the opinion from whoever is questioning Doncic's work ethic. He doesn't have a clue.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

So are you questioning his work ethic for playing too many games for his country and the team he is under contract with? Seems to me work ethic is the least of concerns about Doncic since he's playing his heart out for his team.

Athleticism is a concern however. 

No, i am not saying he has poor work ethic.  I am saying that he has room to improve (namely his shot and body) and it is still an unknown on whether he will improve them.     

Playing every summer instead of improving his weaknesses can be a potential problem. 

Porter in the Las Vegas summer league? He will see more action OFF the court!

Over/under on how many times in the Vegas Summer League the infamous Michael Bowie, Jr. fails to get out of bed in the morning?