Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Why Memphis Must Take Wendell Carter @ # 4

Recommended Posts

From watching the NBA, there's a lot more space, a lot of pick and rolls, so I'm definitely looking forward to it," Carter Jr. said. "The NBA is more my realm to show what I can do."

Carter Jr. has drawn comparisons to players like Al Horford, drafted No. 3 overall and a five-time All-Star, and other team oriented players, like LaMarcus Aldridge and Draymond Green. Surely, there have been comparisons to undersized big men who aren't great athletes and haven't been NBA All-Stars. That will be the question for a team selecting between Nos. 5 and 10 in the draft, where Carter is expected to be selected.

Carter Jr. told reporters after his workout in the Advocate Center that it was his first of about six he planned, mentioning Dallas, Memphis, Orlando, New York and Cleveland. Dallas selects No. 5 and often has been linked to the 7-1 Bamba. Memphis is at No. 4 and has been mentioned with Michigan State’s Jaren Jackson Jr., though also in trade speculation. Orlando is sixth, Cleveland eighth and New York ninth. It’s doubtful Carter Jr. would get past the Knicks.

Bamba is taller and much longer with the record 7-10 wingspan and 9-7 1/2 standing reach. But Carter Jr. is more complete on offense as a 41 percent three point shooter at Duke with an ability to blend into the modern NBA game with defensive side to side quickness.

 

Why he should be # 4:  Oodles of potential are the main reason. He won't turn 20 until after the 2018-19 regular season is finished (birthday is April 16, 1999). He has a good mix of size and speed and can pass, shoot and handle the ball well for a big man. What stands out most is his efficiency. He hit 58 percent of his shots from inside the arc and 46 percent from (3) or outside it. He is long on fundamentals, but not necessarily flashy. Think Al Horford, although Carter has a long way to go to reach that level. Both of his parents were basketball players, his 6-5 mother playing at Ole Miss. Carter may not have the sizzle, but his game is pure steak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's literally the next Zach Randolph or DeMarcus Cousin (Boogie) type player!  Grizzlies really need this guy.

Trae Young is another option at 4, but drafting Carter, he's ready to start day one besides Marc Gasol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like both Bagley and Carter.  And Bamba too.

You know who I really don't want the Grizz to draft?  Porter and especially Robert Williams.  Unless Williams falls to the second round.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I like both Bagley and Carter.  And Bamba too.

You know who I really don't want the Grizz to draft?  Porter and especially Robert Williams.  Unless Williams falls to the second round.

 

 

Porter is the future of the grizzlies. He's gonna be pn Sprite,  Gatorade and/or Nike commercials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Williams is the modern-day defensive stopper.

A guy that can guard five positions, and can be a lob target.

You can correct a whole lot of s*** with him on the team.

He solves about three things that the Grizzlies desperately need.

More defensive length at the wing and power forward positions, rebounding and perimeter defense.

The guy give the Grizzlies the most bang for their buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I like both Bagley and Carter.  And Bamba too.

You know who I really don't want the Grizz to draft?  Porter and especially Robert Williams.  Unless Williams falls to the second round.

 

 

Porter would be a solid trade down if we swapped picks with Dallas or Orlando.

Robert Williams III shouldn't come into play unless we get 12, 13, and a future 1st rounder from the Clippers.  We might even need more than that.

Although my favorite Magical Mystery Tour big man is Mitchell Robinson.  He's got it all but he's not all there. Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

Porter is the future of the grizzlies. He's gonna be pn Sprite,  Gatorade and/or Nike commercials. 

I was thinking about this last night. He is really one of those shoe deal/commercial faces which Memphis has never had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Robert Williams is the modern-day defensive stopper.

A guy that can guard five positions, and can be a lob target.

You can correct a whole lot of s*** with him on the team.

He solves about three things that the Grizzlies desperately need.

More defensive length at the wing and power forward positions, rebounding and perimeter defense.

The guy give the Grizzlies the most bang for their buck.

What makes you think Williams can guard wings he doesn't look particularly fast to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I was thinking about this last night. He is really one of those shoe deal/commercial faces which Memphis has never had.

"Freak Upside Guys" should be at the top of our big board: Bamba and Porter.

Trade down targets should be high motor, athletic, alpha, go-to guards with 2 way potential: The Sexton Maniac and Air Donte.

I could do without Carter, Jar Jar, Jr., Miles Bridges, and some of those other Power 5 Alumni Game types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

What makes you think Williams can guard wings he doesn't look particularly fast to me?

Take a look at that game against North Carolina where he basically shut down Theo Pinson. 

Williams can slide his feet better than anybody at his size in this draft and probably for the last few drafts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be all for drafting him....if he falls to the second round or we acquire a late first rounder. He does NOT however provide length at the wing position. He is a big. He might be able to switch and handle wings occasionally on defense, but he is NOT a wing. He has no wing skills and is not capable of playing the wing positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I'd be all for drafting him....if he falls to the second round or we acquire a late first rounder. He does NOT however provide length at the wing position. He is a big. He might be able to switch and handle wings occasionally on defense, but he is NOT a wing. He has no wing skills and is not capable of playing the wing positions.

I'm sorry but this is an uninformed opinion all Robert Williams did last year was run around and chase guards and he still was the defensive player of the year two years in a row.

Of course he sucks on offense that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I was thinking about this last night. He is really one of those shoe deal/commercial faces which Memphis has never had.

Yep,  and I desperately want that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I'm sorry but this is an uninformed opinion all Robert Williams did last year was run around and chase guards and he still was the defensive player of the year two years in a row.

Of course he sucks on offense that's true.

Not an uninformed opinion. The man can't play the wing. Even if YOU believe he can guard the wing full time, he is still not a wing. He has limited dribbling skills, limited passing skills, and no shooting skills. There are two sides of the ball. No matter which one you think is more important, the other side still matters. Robert Williams on the wing will be guarded less than Tony Allen was. It will make an absolute cluster on offense. My opinion is Robert Williams is a more hyped Jordan Bell, which is not an insult, just a limitation on what he can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Not an uninformed opinion. The man can't play the wing. Even if YOU believe he can guard the wing full time, he is still not a wing. He has limited dribbling skills, limited passing skills, and no shooting skills. There are two sides of the ball. No matter which one you think is more important, the other side still matters. Robert Williams on the wing will be guarded less than Tony Allen was. It will make an absolute cluster on offense. My opinion is Robert Williams is a more hyped Jordan Bell, which is not an insult, just a limitation on what he can do.

I could be wrong but what I believe KBM (or CW) is saying is Williams can defend on the perimeter not that he can play on the perimeter. In today's switching defensive schemes a big who can defend on the perimeter and then take a smaller player down low on the offensive end is major positive. 

I am NOT saying I agree with the assessment, just trying to clarify what was being said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The REF said:

Who looks good at # 22?

Some value late in the first round.

My point was why "reach" for Carter at 4, when you can trade down with CHIC to get 7/22 and draft him 7th?

Why not acquire more assets while still drafting the player you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

What makes you think Williams can guard wings he doesn't look particularly fast to me?

He can't guard wings.  Or stretch 4's. Jeff Roberson from Vandy lit him up for 21 points the day I was there.

Was torched by Wagner of Michigan for 21.

Ado from Miss. St. with 19

Gafford from Arky with 18

Reath from LSU with 21

Stone from Florida with 18

Hall from Bama with 17

Ayton and Metu both outscored him 13 to 4 head to head

Stevens from Penn State with 25 against him

Is this whole Williams thing a gag?   April 1st already came and went.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omergord, it's June 6 and we have fanboys already.  Haven't seen this since Mayo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Some value late in the first round.

My point was why "reach" for Carter at 4, when you can trade down with CHIC to get 7/22 and draft him 7th?

Why not acquire more assets while still drafting the player you want?

Carter won't be there at #7,

 

Dallas will take him at #5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The REF said:

Carter won't be there at #7,

 

Dallas will take him at #5 

I'll take your word for it, too lazy to look up mocks. I saw NBADraft.net had him going 9 and CBS had him going 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The REF said:

Carter won't be there at #7,

 

Dallas will take him at #5 

Just curious but how do you see the draft going? Who's going 1-4 if Dallas is taking Carter at 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this