Sign in to follow this  
BHZMAFIA

How the Rockets Are Beating GSW -- Memphis related

Recommended Posts

Sorry for getting my KBM on, but I didn't know exactly where to squeeze this conversation in at. 

.....

Who would've thunk it? The key to beating the Warriors is to slow the game down and defend really well. Houston is holding Golden State to under 100 points in the playoffs and not many teams have done that outside of Memphis and Cleveland if I'm not mistaken.

This has always been the formula even when Cleveland beat them in the Finals. Building your team to play fast and not having the talent level of a team like Golden State, while also not having an elite defense is a disaster waiting to happen against GSW.

Shoutout to HOU's defense in this series and their ability to slow the pace a little. If I read correctly, last night's pace was around 92 last night.

Also, CP3 as a game manager has made HOU that much more lethal in the playoffs. This is something HOU lacked over the last few years even with Harden being an elite playmaker/ball handler. I think he sometimes struggled managing the game at times especially as the sole playmaker in HOU. Its just amazing that HOU has

All in all, this gives me some confidence that Memphis CAN do some damage in the playoffs if they can somehow regain their defensive edge and be healthy. There's just so many variables right now with this team with having another head coach, younger talent who wasn't around 3-4 years ago, who we can draft that will help us make a leap, etc. 

Also, this doesn't mean a team should strictly look to paint scoring/post-ups to beat Golden State. The Rockets are still shooting a ton more 3's than GSW (17 more; made 3 more). Outside of Game 1, the winner of the 3 point battle has won the game. So, take that into consideration as well. You still need to shoot the ball and have guys with the ability to take those 3's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep that's why i am now a bigger fan of Wendall Carter than i am of Marvin Bagley.    Imagine in a few years a two Big future lineup of Carter and Rabb and perimeter rotation of Conley, Dillon, Heronza, Harrison, and Donte Inferno.     The key is having guys that are capable of playing high level defense in the playoffs and spreading the floor.    Rabb and Wendall project to be able to defend the perimeter in spurts while holding down the paint.  They are also both skilled offensive players and passers so playing through them to slowdown the pace shouldn't kill the offense. 

 Harden gets a ton of flack for being a poor defender but he is actually a solid one whenever he decides to do it.   Because he has the physical tools to do it.  I want guys that possess the physical tools along with aptitude to develop and learn.  Carter has the BBIQ to become really good. 

Rabb already has a pretty good inside game and has shown abilty to stretch it out.   His rebounding is already legit too.   He has shown good BBIQ in his limited time and enough athleticism to become a factor on defense.   Pairing him with a physical specimen like Carter can keep him away from being exploited by stronger bigs.   I like the idea of them becoming the new Zbo+Gasol type tandem. 

 The defensive importance is also why i have become a fan of holding on to Andrew Harrison.  Dude is a legit defender at the guard positions and keeps improving.   His ability to play as secondary ball-handler and defend multiple positions is becoming more valuable as the NBA keeps trending in this direction. 

Brooks has shown 2 way ability and fearlessness you need to compete in post season.  I can see him improving his ballhandling and passing to become a better playmaker and scorer.   He is a guy you want with you in the trenches. 

Conley can take on the game manager role as he leaves his prime.   He will always be capable in that area.    

I am good with continuing with semi traditional team as long as they have the ability to adapt to any playstyle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but they aren't doing it with traditional bigs they are still playing small and that's something the grizz can't do until gasol is gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key is switchable defenders. Grab the closest man on breaks instead of scrambling to matchup. Not letting Draymond quarterback. Forcing Steph, Durant, Thompson to beat you off the dribble. I dont think a "slow" game has a lot to do with this directly,this strategy just inherently limits fast break opportunities.

Careful on building your team to beat Golden State. Its just one team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GTF you still have to have folks who can fill it up.  Though the Rockets are locking down on defense and slowing the game down...they still have James Harden and CP3.  Both are prolific scorers.

We seem to be able to find defenders but we cant get a real alpha dog scorer for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what this makes me think. It makes me think that had Mike Conley not gotten hurt, the Grizzlies would have been in the finals in 2014. 

Because the Grizzlies were doing the same exact thing that Houston is doing that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You know what this makes me think. It makes me think that had Mike Conley not gotten hurt, the Grizzlies would have been in the finals in 2014. 

Because the Grizzlies were doing the same exact thing that Houston is doing that year.

Maybe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

The key is switchable defenders. Grab the closest man on breaks instead of scrambling to matchup. Not letting Draymond quarterback. Forcing Steph, Durant, Thompson to beat you off the dribble. I dont think a "slow" game has a lot to do with this directly,this strategy just inherently limits fast break opportunities.

Careful on building your team to beat Golden State. Its just one team.

I agree in terms of not building your team beat Golden State. 

Even when considering a team like Houston, you would need to slow the game down against them. What Houston is doing against Golden State would be different against a team like Utah. But, there are ways to combat these high powered offenses.

Regardless, Memphis will need to be a top 10 offensive and defensive team next year to stand a chance. You can win games without putting up a ton of points, but you still have to be capable of getting offense from somewhere when the game is on the line too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You know what this makes me think. It makes me think that had Mike Conley not gotten hurt, the Grizzlies would have been in the finals in 2014. 

Because the Grizzlies were doing the same exact thing that Houston is doing that year.

I have been saying this for years, slow the game down, D'Up, and value every possession on O. But you have to score more than 80 pts/gm, which is why the Grizz couldn't close the deal against the Dubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I have been saying this for years, slow the game down, D'Up, and value every possession on O. But you have to score more than 80 pts/gm, which is why the Grizz couldn't close the deal against the Dubs.

It doesn't matter if they score 80 points a game if the Grizzlies limit the Golden State Warriors to 79.

Which is why we beat that team so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This why I'd like Mikal as our pick (if we trade down). He's an elite defender that can knock the 3 at a high rate and slash to the rim. He could be what Ariza is to the rockets, and could really slow down Durant (there's no stopping him). As much as I love Dillon, he has really shot arms and would have trouble trying to contest Durant and other tall SFs, but you could put him on Thompson and have success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

How would you gameplan against the Celtics?

First off, do they have Irving and Hayward? 

If not, you assume they won't get far in the playoffs, and you won't prepare for them. 

Oops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't about playing slow, or playing fast either.  Neither one of those things by itself is the answer.  It is about having your team take charge and control the pace, style, and flow of the game.  You force your opponent to be uncomfortable in everything they do.  If they want to play fast - slow it down.  If they like it slow - run 'em hard.  It helps to have elite, versatile smart players who can be effective at more than one style.  If you can't cover all those bases, since no team really can, you find a style and identity that suits the players on your roster, and you try to be the best at that and bend the other teams to your will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston has slowed the game with Harden and Paul

Cleveland with Lebron and Kyrie.

Grizzlies slowed the game down with....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus the Rockets have Memphian Tarik Black on the team. His high fives as players come off the floor are vastly underrated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

It isn't about playing slow, or playing fast either.  Neither one of those things by itself is the answer.  It is about having your team take charge and control the pace, style, and flow of the game.  You force your opponent to be uncomfortable in everything they do.  If they want to play fast - slow it down.  If they like it slow - run 'em hard.  It helps to have elite, versatile smart players who can be effective at more than one style.  If you can't cover all those bases, since no team really can, you find a style and identity that suits the players on your roster, and you try to be the best at that and bend the other teams to your will.

Boom +1000 well said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt do it, but I would be Ok with #4 + Parsons for #11 + #12 + Harris and Beverly. Just draft the best player at #4.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

This why I'd like Mikal as our pick (if we trade down). He's an elite defender that can knock the 3 at a high rate and slash to the rim. He could be what Ariza is to the rockets, and could really slow down Durant (there's no stopping him). As much as I love Dillon, he has really shot arms and would have trouble trying to contest Durant and other tall SFs, but you could put him on Thompson and have success. 

You want to take Trevor Ariza at #4 and just skip over the fact that Chris Paul and James Harden were #4 picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

You want to take Trevor Ariza at #4 and just skip over the fact that Chris Paul and James Harden were #4 picks?

The only way I would trade the pick is if Porter is long term injuried, Doncic says he wont come and Bagley, Ayton and Young are already drafted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston blowing GSW out of the water with a long distance aerial bombardment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Houston blowing GSW out of the water with a long distance aerial bombardment

Now it's GSW blowing out Houston. It appears to me in order to have a shot at beating either of these teams we would also need really, really good 3 point shooting.

090914_Signals_promo.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this