Kevin B Moses

Use Michael Porter jr as bait

Look, I want a superstar as much as anybody, but taking a top 4 pick in the draft and spending it on an injured player who we don't even know how his game would translate to college is plain stupid.

If we screw up this draft by taking a knee jerk reaction to our draft position, so help me I'm going to lose my ever-loving mind.

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Yeah, pat. Not sure how long this thread will stay up. Seems like any thread I post has an 80% chance of being deleted.

But well see.

Actually it seems like 80% of threads are started by you. Usually based on some random thought that passed through your brain. 

I don't have 1 thread in the top 30 or so on this board. What are you saying?

There is a reason that Porter isn't going #1 overall, but yeah Memphis will take him, because we are so desparate for a superstar that we'll do anything.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Actually it seems like 80% of threads are started by you. Usually based on some random thought that passed through your brain. 

Haha **** Chip!

giphy.gif

Yeah the reasons are a 7’2” animal from Arizona and a 19 year old setting records in the 2nd best league in the world. 

If porter was SOOOO confident about his injury he'd go back for his sophmore year and show people he's not damaged goods.

But good luck on that.

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If porter was SOOOO confident about his injury he'd go back for his sophmore year and show people he's not damaged goods.

But good luck on that.

I think he's going to work out with several teams and see where his draft stock goes. If interest in him is low I wouldn't discount the possibility of him withdrawing.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is asking to draft Porter blindly. How he does in the workouts (and who he works out for) will be important factors in the decision.

10 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

But good luck on that.

Would you turn down $6 million a year guaranteed starting this year (assuming he drops down to 4th in the draft) on the hope that you improve your standing enough to earn $8 million next year? 

These arguments about a player should stay behind to improve by returning rarely happen. Blake Griffin did it successfully but most don't move up enough to justify losing a year's earnings as a pro.  

How exactly are they going to determine if his injury is good to go?
I'm sure he won't come into a workout holding his back.
Is he going to let the grizzlies do a medical physical on him, and if he does would we trust it?
This isn't like Kwahi Leonard for example were we know that he IS a superstar.
We are just going by a high school rating and hoping that it works out.

LOL

If the grizzlies do this, I am not sure what I will do.

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Would you turn down $6 million a year guaranteed starting this year (assuming he drops down to 4th in the draft) on the hope that you improve your standing enough to earn $8 million next year? 

These arguments about a player should stay behind to improve by returning rarely happen. Blake Griffin did it successfully but most don't move up enough to justify losing a year's earnings as a pro.  

I love these people saying these guys should give up guaranteed millions of dollars and stay in school another year. Porter is already stated to go as a high lottery pick in the draft. Why the hell would he risk getting hurt playing for free at school for another year to jump a couple draft spots?

Let me see

If there is a real back injury still

Go back to college and prove its long lasting and never get drafted, or go to the pros and get paid to prove it? That’s a tough decision isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Let me see

If there is a real back injury still

Go back to college and prove its long lasting and never get drafted, or go to the pros and get paid to prove it? That’s a tough decision isn’t it?

Of course he's not going to go back. But there are players that have done it.

The thing is I would relate this to boxing. We can't even be sure that he's the same player psychologically as he was prior to the injury which would make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

The first time a boxer gets knocked out, it changes him. Derrick Rose was never the same after his injury and it wasn't just because he wasn't physically able to do it. He lost his Killer Instinct.

An injury like this is not just physical it's also mental.

Porter is young and should be relatively easy to establish whether he is healing from injury or not . If he was late 20s I would be way more concerned:) that said give me Bagley all day but if our choice is JJJ Bamba Porter then id rather swing for the fence and go with Porter. (Or Trae). We can’t afford single if we want to be truly competitive 

24 minutes ago, Stu Podaso said:

Why, because Kevin B is so against? lol

That by itself is a good reason... 

I change the title. The more I think about it the better it sounds to use our draft position as bait.

The Grizzlies could drop down to the number 7 pick, draft Wendell Carter jr, also get the #22 pick in the draft and a future #1.

38 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

He seems pretty confident at least :)

(and yes why would he say anything else)

he's vegetarian/vegan

this is a red flag for athletes

I'm not stating this on any moral argument this is strictly health and injury prevention. He''ll struggle to stay injury free just like Kyrie will.

I have nothing against plant based diet- I did it for 15 years- I was a vegetarian. Trust me it'll shorten his career.

pass on him if he insist on eating plant based diet- its all wrong for athletes who need maximum explosiveness and recovery

Ok, I looked up Dr. Graham

red flag red flag!!

not surprised Porter already has injury concerns

hes got Porter into eating RAW VEGAN!!! 

this will end in disaster (nba career wise) for the kid. 

PASS

7 minutes ago, guillermo said:

he's vegetarian/vegan

this is a red flag for athletes

I'm not stating this on any moral argument this is strictly health and injury prevention. He''ll struggle to stay injury free just like Kyrie will.

I have nothing against plant based diet- I did it for 15 years- I was a vegetarian. Trust me it'll shorten his career.

pass on him if he insist on eating plant based diet- its all wrong for athletes who need maximum explosiveness and recovery

Marc Gasol is vegan.