Lord Gordon

The worst thing about getting the 4th pick

Is that Chris Wallace will be making it. It's another chance for him to  screw up. At least with a top 3 pick, there was a chance to get a player who was NBA ready. :(

I would now consider trading this pick and move down 2-4 picks. I'll be fine with Sexton and Young, and getting something extremely valuable in return. I don't know who they can pick, knowing that Ayton and Bagley will more then likely be off the board, and I'm not completely sold on Doncic yet.

Jaren Jackson is a big body  but can he shoot?   We need someone who can make plays, can handle the ball.  Mo Bamba is 7 ft tall but weighs like 150 lbs.  Michael Porter Jr is scary cause he simply did not play.

Who is the best pick left for MEM after Ayton, Doncic and Bagley are off the board?   I just knew we would get one of those 3.   Man what crappy luck. 

16 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

if Luka is there at 4, you take him

no doubt, but there isnt any way Luka will be there at 4, is there???????  I would love it if there were, but it doesnt seem possible. 

I really like the middle of this draft and would legit consider trading with the Clippers for both 12 and 13. Players like Shai Alexander, Zhaire Smith, Kevin Knox, Robert Williams and Lonnie Walker will be available.

11 minutes ago, Zukkoyaki said:

I really like the middle of this draft and would legit consider trading with the Clippers for both 12 and 13. Players like Shai Alexander, Zhaire Smith, Kevin Knox, Robert Williams and Lonnie Walker will be available.

That would be the worst case scenario to I consider that trade.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8drjuoa

MC/Beverly/Harrison

Selden/Marshon/Mclemore

Harris/Dillon

Jam/Martin/Rabb

Gasol/DD

trade Martin + Mclemore for a backup big and sign Tyreke Evans. That + those 2 draft picks

But I prefer to draft Porter or Young. Or the guy that falls from top 3.

Memphis was reportedly eyeing Luka Doncic, but he's got two excellent suitors in front of them now. Jaren Jackson is actually a big who could complement Marc Gasol fairly well at #4. Porter might be an interesting fit here also depending on how his pre-draft process shakes out.

I’m hoping Porter or whom ever we pick turns out great. We definitely have some work to do, I'm not sure Bagley doesn’t drop also. I hope Porter Jr. tears up the workout circuit, I’d love a possible Durant type guy.

15 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

I’m hoping Porter or whom ever we pick turns out great. We definitely have some work to do, I'm not sure Bagley doesn’t drop also. I hope Porter Jr. tears up the workout circuit, I’d love a possible Durant type guy.

I hope he tears up the Grizz workout and we shut him down 

53 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

If he tears it up I doubt he will be there at 4.

14 hours ago, Lord Gordon said:

Is that Chris Wallace will be making it. It's another chance for him to  screw up. At least with a top 3 pick, there was a chance to get a player who was NBA ready. :(

Wallace has a sharp basketball mind and does know how to evaluate players. If he could simply figure out what he wants this team to be going forward the franchise would be in much better shape. Boston gets players that fit into the system they want to run. San Antonio gets players that fit into the system they want to run. Golden State has a vision of what fits into the system they want to run. 

Memphis doesn't appear to have a vision of what they want the team to become so every pick seems suspect. Memphis has done a terrible job of mapping out what the team is going to look like since they got out of the 3 year plan. Grit and Grind was a mantra but never was a system the front office bought into. Until the Grizzlies are willing to make a decision on what they want this team to become, a vision on who will work best that system and the determination to accept short term negative consequences for long term results the Grizzlies will flounder regardless of where they draft. 

15 hours ago, Once_a_hater said:

trade Martin + Mclemore for a backup big

It would cost us Martin just to get another team to take McLemore. 
McL has negative value right now. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Wallace has a sharp basketball mind and does know how to evaluate players. If he could simply figure out what he wants this team to be going forward the franchise would be in much better shape. Boston gets players that fit into the system they want to run. San Antonio gets players that fit into the system they want to run. Golden State has a vision of what fits into the system they want to run. 

Memphis doesn't appear to have a vision of what they want the team to become so every pick seems suspect. Memphis has done a terrible job of mapping out what the team is going to look like since they got out of the 3 year plan. Grit and Grind was a mantra but never was a system the front office bought into. Until the Grizzlies are willing to make a decision on what they want this team to become, a vision on who will work best that system and the determination to accept short term negative consequences for long term results the Grizzlies will flounder regardless of where they draft. 

Boston - has and had superstars

San Antonio - we all know about their superstars ( and a legendary coach too)

Golden State - superstars and a coach that was taught by the coach above.

To sum it up , based off of the three teams you used as examples -  the first VISION we need is a SUPERSTAR .

They tend to make things crystal clear ;) 

Lots of great players at 4.

Ironically, my top 4 guys on the big board I did just before the lotto should be available at 4: Bamba, Sexton, Porter, and Mikal Bridges.

At 1, I think the Suns should go with Ayton.  Yeah, he might be the next Oden or an athletic head case like Darryl Dawkins, but he could ALSO be the next Wilt (who, ironically, was also a headcase and got more coaches fired than Oden or Dawkins played for).

2: Kings need a superstar, either the face of the league or a "small market superstar".  Unless somebody blows them away they need to take a long, hard look at Doncic.  Or, if the Doncic hype fades, trade down to the Hawks and THEN take Doncic.

3: Hawks SHOULD take Bamba.  Atlanta used to have Dominique Wilkins aka the Human Highlight Film aka their last legit superstar. Well, Bamba can be their YouTube Unicorn although I think they overthink this and go with Bagley or Porter or Trae Young.

4. Bamba. Highest ceiling and his floor has a 7'9 wingspan.  Not sure if rebounding is a skill or a talent or an art, but Mo can do it.  

Calkins is discussing JJJ on the radio.  Some meh responses. Some "don't take him", too.  Calkins said, watch us take JJJ in the first round then Donte Inferno at 32 and then we will all rave about Donte.  

Me personally, I DON'T think that Donte will be their at 32.  I had him at 13 in my last internal mock lottery.

JJJ looks like he has the John Salley skill set with Dennis Rodman's shooting form and Joe Smith's killer instinct.  Yeah, he will give you a Robert Horry game once a month, a Chris Bosh game once a month, and a Len Bias game once a month.

Could be a good fit next to Marc, but I want Bamba who does some of the JJJ stuff better (rebounding, dunks, blocking shots, rim protection), and showed a promising 3 point shot in workouts.  Bamba could then turn into an alpha dude on defense that you can rebuild around.  I see JJJ as a great 3rd or 4th option in a core than includes 2 flat-out superstar unicorns.  

Porter: he either wows everybody and goes 3, OR he doesn't and you trade down to 5 to take him.

My internal mock lotto before the real lotto was announced:

1. Bamba

2. Sexton

3. Porter

4. Mikal

5. Ayton

6. Bagley

7. Trae

8. Mitchell Robinson

9. Robert Williams III

10. JJJ

11. Luka

12. Knox

13. Donte Inferno

14. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Next in: Wendell Carter, Jr.

Guess I was lovin' the perimeter guys at 2-4.  Ayton and Bags could both be number one picks in lots of years.  I am concerned about Bagley's wingspan and defense.  Shows promise on offense but not completely refined.  BUT, if you want a refined post game and a hook shot you hope Jalen Brunson is there at 32.

The post game may be a lost art.  Or, people figured out that it is a worse shot than a contested long 2.

I don't think CW gets fired with his pick at 4 unless we trade it for Kyle Lowry or something...

If CW/FO/scouts don't see the appeal of Bamba and can't pick between JJJ and Porter then I think we should trade down -- maybe twice.  Pick up some extra assets...

Porter might have more upside than JJJ, although I wouldn't bet on it either way.

Mikal or Sexton would be my pick if we traded down a couple of times.  

Collin Sexton has an Alpha Isiah Thomas thing about him.

3 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Boston - has and had superstars

San Antonio - we all know about their superstars ( and a legendary coach too)

Golden State - superstars and a coach that was taught by the coach above.

To sum it up , based off of the three teams you used as examples -  the first VISION we need is a SUPERSTAR .

They tend to make things crystal clear ;) 

It seems to me the biggest difference between a star talent and a superstar is the system they operate in.

Boston redrafted their entire team, made some strategic moves in the draft to get players others passed on (Brown and Tatum) and picked up the right ancillary pieces to create a great team. San Antonio won the lottery twice (Robinson and Duncan) but also picked some great role players who fit into their system. Some of them turned out to be stars in their own right (Parker and Ginobili). Golden State drafted Curry, Green and Thompson none of whom went in the top 5 but fit into the system they were building. They then added pieces (Iquodala and Durant) to make them unbeatable. 

You have to know what type of team you want to build, draft players who fit into that system and develop them once they are there. Just taking the most talented or promising player doesn't mean he'll become a star if his talents don't mesh with the system the team has in place. 

What is the Grizzlies vision of the team in the future? What type of player will fit best in that system? What is the plan to develop them once they are on the team? Does anyone know?

Just picking talented players and hoping they gel enough to make the playoffs isn't a system. It's blind luck if it works out and usually it doesn't. 

11 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It seems to me the biggest difference between a star talent and a superstar is the system they operate in.

Boston redrafted their entire team, made some strategic moves in the draft to get players others passed on (Brown and Tatum) and picked up the right ancillary pieces to create a great team. San Antonio won the lottery twice (Robinson and Duncan) but also picked some great role players who fit into their system. Some of them turned out to be stars in their own right (Parker and Ginobili). Golden State drafted Curry, Green and Thompson none of whom went in the top 5 but fit into the system they were building. They then added pieces (Iquodala and Durant) to make them unbeatable. 

You have to know what type of team you want to build, draft players who fit into that system and develop them once they are there. Just taking the most talented or promising player doesn't mean he'll become a star if his talents don't mesh with the system the team has in place. 

What is the Grizzlies vision of the team in the future? What type of player will fit best in that system? What is the plan to develop them once they are on the team? Does anyone know?

Just picking talented players and hoping they gel enough to make the playoffs isn't a system. It's blind luck if it works out and usually it doesn't. 

We should ask ourselves, who would Red or Pop pick?

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

It would cost us Martin just to get another team to take McLemore. 
McL has negative value right now. 

Not if we take another big that's a negative for their respective team. Martin/Mclemore to the Suns for Jared Dudley + the 59th pick. Boom done.

Trade Gasol for a Top 3 pick, and pick # 3, and #4, and add another piece.

21 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

We should ask ourselves, who would Red or Pop pick?

Wouldn't be the worst thing to do. 

18 minutes ago, The REF said:

Trade Gasol for a Top 3 pick, and pick # 3, and #4, and add another piece.

If the Suns take Doncic at 1, maybe they would want to buy high on Marc Gasol.

At a MINIMUM I would want 16, 31, 59, and a 2020 first rounder along with contracts (Tyson Chandler, TJ Warren, and Jared Dudley), and Marquis Chriss' budding Strotential.  

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Really good questions and I see what you mean BUT ;) I still say a superstar will determine the system... 

-> Get a great talent  ( please please please)

-> Get a coach

•actually this should have been done long before now ... not saying the ‘coach’ we have now is bad ... just saying if we had a coach that has gotten results with molding his team’s system to fit the players’ stregnths ... say like remember when the Spurs were called boring ? Note how Pops was able to switch it up and remain relevant? that . 

So chicken egg with the coach / superstar thing... 

I just think you have the chance to grab a franchise leading talent - you do it . And if your current coach is able to get results you keep him . If the coach wasn’t given the right ingredients to make a tasty stew - you can him and the guy that brought the non matching ingredients to the table. 

What you don’t do is give away the superstar.