Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Grizz Offseason Moves

ESPN Insider: What offseason moves can and should the Grizzlies make?

Hmmm, i learned 2 things. One, I didn't know Gasol had a trade kicker in his contract and 2, Parsons is eligible for an extension:huh: . Let's hope Wallace doesn't give him that extension. :D

Despite only 15 wins in 63 tries the interim tag for JB Bickerstaff was removed. Bickerstaff is known for his player development skills and fits the bill for a rebuilding Memphis team.

The longtime assistant is now faced with two priorities -- create a foundation of stability while also managing the expectations of high-priced veterans led by Mike Conley, Marc Gasol and Chandler Parsons.

Let's look ahead to the free-agency, draft and trade decisions facing Memphis this offseason.

More summer focus: Click here for every team so far

Be honest with Mike Conley and Marc Gasol

There will come a time in the offseason when the Grizzlies' front office will need to meet with Conley and Gasol about the direction of the team. The priority of the meeting: full transparency about the future.

The direction of the team has changed since both players signed their big contracts, and realistic expectations need to be set for the 2018-19 season. This Memphis team faces a gradual rebuild with $78 million committed to three players (Gasol, Conley and Chandler Parsons) for next season.

Yes, GM Chris Wallace can point to the Conley injury and the firing of Dave Fizdale early in the season as reasons why Memphis won 22 games, but let's be honest. This Memphis team as constructed resembles a lottery team and not one competing for a playoff spot. Can Gasol -- who could opt out of his contract after the 2018-19 season -- accept playing on a team that will likely miss the postseason?

If the answer is no, Memphis will have a small window to decide on the future of its franchise center. That could be made easier if the Grizzlies land the top pick in the draft.

The Parsons reality

Where do the Grizzlies go with Chandler Parsons?

Parsons was perceived as the X factor to the Grizzlies' success when he was signed to a $92 million contract in 2016. Now with $49 million left on the deal, Memphis will need to come to the realization that Parsons is more of a rotation player at this stage of his career.

When healthy this season, Parsons showed flashes of the player the Grizzlies' front office watched in Houston and Dallas The question now is not if Parsons can justify his contract, but if he can he stay on the floor and regularly contribute.

Summer cap breakdown

2018-19 Salary Breakdown

PLAYER 2018-19
1. Mike Conley $30,521,115
2. Marc Gasol $24,119,025
3. Chandler Parsons $24,107,258
4. JaMychal Green $7,666,667
5. Ben McLemore $5,400,000
6. Jarell Martin $2,416,222
7. MarShon Brooks $1,659,092
8. Deyonta Davis $1,544,951
9. Ivan Rabb $1,378,242
10. Dillon Brooks $1,378,242
11. Andrew Harrison (non-guaranteed) $1,544,951
12. Wayne Selden (non-guaranteed) $1,544,951
13. Omari Johnson (non-guaranteed) $1,378,242
14. First-rounder (first-round hold) $4,823,520
15. Tyreke Evans 1 (free-agent hold) $3,948,000
16. Mario Chalmers 1 (free-agent hold) $1,499,698
Rade Zagorac (waiver) $1,378,242
Jamal Franklin (waiver) $163,296
Total $118.9 million
Salary cap $101.0 million (projected)
1. Non-Bird rights  

The Grizzlies will enter free agency over the salary cap with $110 million in guaranteed contracts, including the projected No. 2 pick in the draft.

Being over the cap will come with restrictions as the Grizzlies will have only the $8.6 million mid-level exception. The Grizzlies do not have the $3.4 million bi-annual exception based on the Tyreke Evans signing last July. Teams are prohibited from using the bi-annual in consecutive seasons.

Dates to watch

Memphis has stumbled identifying talent in the draft but earns high marks for signing undrafted college players.

One of those players, Wayne Selden, will likely see his $1.5 million contract guaranteed by being on the roster past July 10.

Selden has missed 35 games as a result of various injuries. However, with the Grizzlies restricted in signing players in the offseason because of the salary cap, Selden's low salary makes him an obvious candidate to be on the team's roster for 2018-19.

Restrictions

Trading Gasol would not only see the Grizzlies lose their franchise center but also cost $3.6 million. Because Gasol has a 15 percent trade bonus in his contract, Memphis would be responsible for paying the bonus to Gasol 30 days after the trade.

Gasol has the option of waiving the bonus in his contract. If he doesn't, the acquiring team would have a $27.7 million cap hit (if traded past July 6).

The free agent focus

The Grizzlies' roster is also limited based on having 10 guaranteed contracts, not including two draft picks and the non-guaranteed contracts of Andrew Harrison and Selden. Add that up and the Grizzlies will have only one open roster spot unless there is a trade.

Even with the restrictions, two areas of focus for Memphis will be the wing position and backup point guard (to compete with Harrison).

Because the draft is weighted in the top five with centers and power forwards (except for Luka Doncic), Memphis will likely need to focus on free agency when it comes to shooting guard or small forward.

Options will be limited unless the Grizzlies can bring back Evans at the mid-level exception. That is not out of the question based on teams having limited spending ability this year.

Extension-eligible candidates

Don't expect the Grizzlies to become active when it comes to their five players eligible for an extension.

Jarell Martin, rookie extension eligible up until Oct. 15, is the only player the Memphis front office should have a conversation about. Almost a roster casualty before the season started, Martin has turned into a serviceable backup.

Because Memphis potentially could have cap flexibility in 2019 and 2020 and Martin has only a one-year body of work on the court, holding off on a new contract would be the best course.

Parsons, Gasol, Harrison and Deyonta Davis are eligible as well.

The draft assets

It would be an understatement to say the June draft could alter the shape of the franchise.

With a potential top two-pick, Memphis has the opportunity to do something it couldn't in the past 10 years -- draft a franchise player.

Here's how ESPN's Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz have Memphis picking in the 2018 draft:

• No. 2 (own): Luka Doncic | PG | Real Madrid

• No. 32 (own): Melvin Frazier | SF | Tulane

The Grizzlies do not own their 2019 first-round pick outright.

Traded to the Celtics to acquire Jeff Green, the pick will be conveyed in 2019 (top-8 protected), 2020 (top-6 protected) or 2021 (unprotected).

Mario Hezonja is my pick for the MLE. i feel like hes only going to get better.Hes cocky. but i dont mind a few cocky players. they get under peoples skin, Much like D. Brooks. I saw a rumor that Nick Calathes is making a comeback. Dont we still have his rights :lol:

3 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

I saw a rumor that Nick Calathes is making a comeback. Dont we still have his rights :lol:

bring home beale street baldo!!!! maybe parsons can persuade his old Gator buddy

4 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Mario Hezonja is my pick for the MLE. i feel like hes only going to get better.Hes cocky. but i dont mind a few cocky players. they get under peoples skin, Much like D. Brooks. I saw a rumor that Nick Calathes is making a comeback. Dont we still have his rights :lol:

13 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

bring home beale street baldo!!!! maybe parsons can persuade his old Gator buddy

i think he's a free agent but then there's this:

His NBA stint ended when he turned down a contract offer after 2015, in the middle of a 20-game suspension for a violation of the league's anti-drug policy. If he is picked up, Calathes will still have to serve 13 games to complete his suspension.

Assuming lottery finally give us the 1st.

Ayton is the pick.

Then I would do those trades, not a 3 team trade I just put all in 1 to make easier to look it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y97eoysg

We get from Phoenix 16th and 31st, and give Pacers future 2nd. Move 16th and 32nd to go up a bit and draft one of the Bridges and draft Duval with 31st.

Those trades are about getting a potential sixthman in Warren and 2 vet bigmans that could give Ayton, Rabb and Davis experience to affect the game on the both ends of the floor, also we get additional picks to move in the Pacers deal and to move up in the draft.

Sign Tyreke with MLE, 2/3 years deal. If he wants more money we go for Hezonja or other guy, but for this type of period in the deal.

MC/Harrison/Duval

Dillon/Tyreke/Selden

Bridges/Warren

Jam/Parsons/Rabb

Ayton/Chandler/Jefferson/Davis

This team has a chance to compete for the 6th-8th seed, if we fail to do so, we get the next 2 (1st round) picks from 2019 and 2020 drafts, and have a solid base to continue competing for the next decade.

1 hour ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

i think he's a free agent but then there's this:

That's wrong.  Calathes was suspended 20 games on Apr 18 just before the 2014 playoffs.  He missed 11 playoff games, I think.  He then finished serving his suspension in the first part of the 2014-2015 season rejoining the team in mid November.  He doesn't have any more games he would miss for the suspension.

That being said I don't think that the FO will be interested.

32 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Assuming lottery finally give us the 1st.

Ayton is the pick.

Then I would do those trades, not a 3 team trade I just put all in 1 to make easier to look it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y97eoysg

We get from Phoenix 16th and 31st, and give Pacers future 2nd. Move 16th and 32nd to go up a bit and draft one of the Bridges and draft Duval with 31st.

Those trades are about getting a potential sixthman in Warren and 2 vet bigmans that could give Ayton, Rabb and Davis experience to affect the game on the both ends of the floor, also we get additional picks to move in the Pacers deal and to move up in the draft.

Sign Tyreke with MLE, 2/3 years deal. If he wants more money we go for Hezonja or other guy, but for this type of period in the deal.

MC/Harrison/Duval

Dillon/Tyreke/Selden

Bridges/Warren

Jam/Parsons/Rabb

Ayton/Chandler/Jefferson/Davis

This team has a chance to compete for the 6th-8th seed, if we fail to do so, we get the next 2 (1st round) picks from 2019 and 2020 drafts, and have a solid base to continue competing for the next decade.

I think Tyson Chandler and Al Jefferson are both more washed up than Marc.  That being said, why would the Pacers want McLemore and Martin?  I didn't know they were tanking already.  They just made the playoffs for the first time in a couple seasons.

I like what I have seen of TJ Warren and wouldn't mind having him, but didn't we already sign Marshon Brooks to be the sixth man?  That was my impression anyway, and you don't have him on your roster.

44 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think Tyson Chandler and Al Jefferson are both more washed up than Marc.  That being said, why would the Pacers want McLemore and Martin?  I didn't know they were tanking already.  They just made the playoffs for the first time in a couple seasons.

I like what I have seen of TJ Warren and wouldn't mind having him, but didn't we already sign Marshon Brooks to be the sixth man?  That was my impression anyway, and you don't have him on your roster.

For sure Marc is in a better shape them both of those guys, but my point is that Tyson can help Ayton to become a defense force and Al can give him footwork lessons; Marc is a blend of both of those guys, but I wanna make sure as soon Ayton gets here this team is build and running throw him, if Marc stays that wont be the case. Marc could be a excellent teacher for Ayton, but my idea give us a scoring young player in Warren and a sleeper prospect in one of the Bridges.

I forgot about Marshon, he is not that big of deal for me after all. Yeah, maybe we cut DD or even one of Tyson or Al and give them a coaching spot instead, if Brooks worth a roster spot.

And talking about the deal I dont know if Pacers would accept that, maybe throw another 2nd round pick. I dont see why Pacers would be totally of the deal because they have Sabonis covering Young and Turner, and they went after Booker to be their 4th big on Playoffs and Al did not played because like you said he is washed.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

why would the Pacers want McLemore and Martin? 

Why would the Bull City Legacy want McLemore?  We may be paying him but he'll be lucky to get playing time this side of Madagascar. 

7 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Why would the Bull City Legacy want McLemore?  We may be paying him but he'll be lucky to get playing time this side of Madagascar. 

That's harsh.  Might be accurate, but harsh.

I don't see us barely making the playoffs next year. We would have easily made the playoffs this year. Even our roster of 1st and 2nd year players did reasonably well towards the end of the season. Imagine if we made Parsons play more, Conley was healthy, Tyreke actually played games he was healthy. 45 wins easily. I know that wouldn't make the playoffs right now, but you have to factor in our 23+ wins against the rest of the standings. 

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't see us barely making the playoffs next year. We would have easily made the playoffs this year. Even our roster of 1st and 2nd year players did reasonably well towards the end of the season. Imagine if we made Parsons play more, Conley was healthy, Tyreke actually played games he was healthy. 45 wins easily. I know that wouldn't make the playoffs right now, but you have to factor in our 23+ wins against the rest of the standings. 

We would not have easily made the playoffs this year. At best, Conley give you 10 more wins so okay, no we're in the low 30's in wins. Sure we tanked, I'll give that another 10 wins, that puts us at 40. Minny was the 8th seed and had 47 wins You yourself put us at 45 wins but then you turnaround and say "I know that wouldn't make the playoffs right now". Most experts/analysts or whatever you want to call them had us missing the playoffs this year even with a healthy Conley and I agreed. His injury didn't knock us out of the playoffs. We would have had to have won 48 games to get into the playoffs, I don't see any scenario where we would have more than doubled our win total this season even if fully healthy. 

Speaking of health, Conley hasn't played more than 70 games since 2014-15. He's always had some injury the past few seasons. Parsons hasn't played more than 70 games since the 2013-14 season. What makes you think the two of them will all of a sudden be healthy for a full season and playing to their optimal levels as they both hover around 30?

This team was not going to make the playoffs this year, just simple and plain, they were not. This team did not have enough NBA level talent to win on a consistent basis. Now next season, we get a lottery pick and hopefully we can finagle a vet or two from some teams via trade or use the MLE on a vet who can contribute right away and yes, we have a chance at making the playoffs, even if we overachieve, I see no better than 5th or 6th seed next year. 

2 hours ago, They Call Me Mr. Klondike said:

We would not have easily made the playoffs this year. At best, Conley give you 10 more wins so okay, no we're in the low 30's in wins. Sure we tanked, I'll give that another 10 wins, that puts us at 40. Minny was the 8th seed and had 47 wins You yourself put us at 45 wins but then you turnaround and say "I know that wouldn't make the playoffs right now". Most experts/analysts or whatever you want to call them had us missing the playoffs this year even with a healthy Conley and I agreed. His injury didn't knock us out of the playoffs. We would have had to have won 48 games to get into the playoffs, I don't see any scenario where we would have more than doubled our win total this season even if fully healthy. 

Speaking of health, Conley hasn't played more than 70 games since 2014-15. He's always had some injury the past few seasons. Parsons hasn't played more than 70 games since the 2013-14 season. What makes you think the two of them will all of a sudden be healthy for a full season and playing to their optimal levels as they both hover around 30?

This team was not going to make the playoffs this year, just simple and plain, they were not. This team did not have enough NBA level talent to win on a consistent basis. Now next season, we get a lottery pick and hopefully we can finagle a vet or two from some teams via trade or use the MLE on a vet who can contribute right away and yes, we have a chance at making the playoffs, even if we overachieve, I see no better than 5th or 6th seed next year. 

And you don't factor in Tyreke not playing in 20 games where he was healthy. Or that Parsons could have played in a lot more games but we sat him out because we were tanking. Or how much better Gasol is when isn't having to carry the entire offense by himself. Or when the young guys aren't asked to do so much when they haven't done it before. Or just assume that none of our team would have gelled together with a relatively consistent line-up. While it was a small sample size, we saw what this team could do when reasonably healthy. And that was with Conley playing at 70%. Again with us winning 20-25 more games, that means 20-25 less wins for the rest of the league. The Spurs were not good this year, nor the T-Wolves, nor the Trailblazers, we could have easily been in over one of those teams (I know Portland finished 3rd, but were only two games up over 8th.) 

You're right about health. Parsons probably won't be healthy, we just need him to play 50 games, and contribute off the bench. This surgery hopefully fixes Conley's problem he's had for 2 years now. I think we all forget how many games that Conley and Gasol have won together. They are one of the best Duos in the league. If Conley is healthy, this was a playoff team. Barely, but still. I can't tell you how many close games we were in this year that either came down to the last possession or the last couple of minutes that we lost. You don't think having Captain Clutch out there means we don't win those games, or potentially not even have those games be close? In addition to all the contributions Conley makes offensively and defensively, he also makes the rest of the players around him better as well. That's why we've made the playoffs the last two years before this with little to no talent outside of Gasol and Conley. 

To your point, without Conley, we are not a playoff team. As simple as that. Still we would have won 30+ games this year without him if we hadn't gone into tank mode the likes of which have never been seen before. 

So little respect for Conley. The grizzlies won 7 games with him and beat the warriors (like they always do) and the rockets twice, a team who had the best record in the league.

This board's lack of respect for our players that are stars and clearly the best player on the team is mindnumbing. The difference between Conley and Harrison might as well be the moon. People love to dog Marc's play this year but he (not precious reke) but Marc got doubled and triple teamed every game. With Mike, that don't happen. Mike and Marc are one of the best pick n roll tadems in the league and without that all we had was reke's iso game.

Please don't talk about the grizzlies if you don't know what you are talking about.

16 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

So little respect for Conley. The grizzlies won 7 games with him and beat the warriors (like they always do) and the rockets twice, a team who had the best record in the league.

This board's lack of respect for our players that are stars and clearly the best player on the team is mindnumbing. The difference between Conley and Harrison might as well be the moon. People love to dog Marc's play this year but he (not precious reke) but Marc got doubled and triple teamed every game. With Mike, that don't happen. Mike and Marc are one of the best pick n roll tadems in the league and without that all we had was reke's iso game.

Please don't talk about the grizzlies if you don't know what you are talking about.

100% agree

20 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You would think the tandem that took us to 7 straight playoffs with less than ideal teams would garner a little more respect. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

You would think the tandem that took us to 7 straight playoffs with less than ideal teams would garner a little more respect. 

We are suppossed to pretend like their best days (a team that needed a Westbrook injury to reach the WCF) are not behind them? And two big pieces of their playoff grit are not gone?

The grizzlies main reason for sucking is/was the systamatic removal of our vets for d-leaguers and rookies.
Losing kk, jeff green and lee, in addition to zbo and tony, and then mike's injury, what do you expect?

My main thing is that calling Mike and Marc over the hill, but not seeing who they have as teammates and the great purge is not looking at the facts.

You can't win with rookies. Getting hurt doesn't mean you are past your prime, it just means you got hurt. Conley had a career year the year before, he gets hurt this year and now he is over the hill. Is Gordon Hayward over the hill? Kyrie? Boogie Cousins? Come on, man.

They arent replacing Tony and Zbo with playoff tough vets that will allow them to overachieve. Not with nothing but a MLE available. Teams that rely on chemistry over talent and being greater as a whole than their individual talent might suggest are hard to build. And once they are torn down it isnt coming back. I cant get why everyone cant accept this.

Kyrie is 26 next year. Hayward is 28.  Cousins is 28 and is a power player. Kyrie and Cousins average 25 ppg+. Conley is 31 and relies on heavily on speed and even at his best only averaged 20 ppg. A minor slippage from his career best year by far to 16/17 ppg due to injuries/age makes him a middle of the road pg at best at that loaded position. A major slippage and he becomes Tony Parker.

All you need is common sense sometimes.

I've written it before, and I'll right it again--the folks at ESPN do not watch this team play, nor add much depth nor insight. 

They can write about the Warriors, Lakers, Big Baller Brand, 3 of OKC's players, the Knicks, Celtics, Sixers and LeBron.  They undercover teams like the Spurs, Nuggets, Atlanta, and the Grizzlies.

These statements make me wonder if the writer just looked at standings, a salary cap database, and a few ESPN articles:

Parsons was perceived as the X factor to the Grizzlies' success when he was signed to a $92 million contract in 2016. Now with $49 million left on the deal, Memphis will need to come to the realization that Parsons is more of a rotation player at this stage of his career - I think Memphis came to that realization in 2017, about 4 games into the season.  He's only been a rotation player.

Yes, GM Chris Wallace can point to the Conley injury and the firing of Dave Fizdale early in the season as reasons why Memphis won 22 games, but let's be honest. This Memphis team as constructed resembles a lottery team and not one competing for a playoff spot. and Despite only 15 wins in 63 tries the interim tag for JB Bickerstaff was removed. - This team was trying to lose games, and in spite of what a few fans on this board thought, the losing was done pretty successfully. I don't think nationally writers know that.  Maybe, this team can compete for the playoffs or maybe they are lottery bound, but because of the injuries and disappearance of Tyreke, nobody knows how good the team really is.  It's like trying to predict the 2017 playoff team based on the hodgepodge of guys that Dave Joerger finished out the 2016 season with.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

We are suppossed to pretend like their best days (a team that needed a Westbrook injury to reach the WCF) are not behind them? And two big pieces of their playoff grit are not gone?

This  irritates me to no end.  Maybe you're so faithless that you can't believe we could've beaten them, but I'm not.  You could say the same thing about 2011 - they needed a Rudy Gay injury to get by us.  We had the lead in that series and maybe if Rudy had been there in that triple overtime game after Mike and OJ fouled out maybe we would've won that one.

Ifs don't mean crap.  The fact is that we won.  The fact is that they won in 2011.  Only Memphis fans want to put an asterisk next to their own team's accomplishments.

33 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

This  irritates me to no end.  Maybe you're so faithless that you can't believe we could've beaten them, but I'm not.  You could say the same thing about 2011 - they needed a Rudy Gay injury to get by us.  We had the lead in that series and maybe if Rudy had been there in that triple overtime game after Mike and OJ fouled out maybe we would've won that one.

Ifs don't mean crap.  The fact is that we won.  The fact is that they won in 2011.  Only Memphis fans want to put an asterisk next to their own team's accomplishments.

Its because in the midst of you once again going on your soap box rants about everyone not appreciating this team through thick and thin sickness and health til death due us part, you are not getting that this conversation is really about the level of competency this team was at in comparison to the top dogs. Not just a blind list of accomplishments. Trust me, the guy I was responding to will certainly mention injuries to the Grizzlies. He takes care of that to the fullest extent. He has recently used Mike Conleys back injury in December 2016 as something that could have had an impact on him for the 2017 playoffs. So the Westbrook injury has to be mentioned in this particular conversation.

BTW, I have always said that the 2011 Grizzlies were probably the most talented from top to bottom if Gay were around. To bad crappy management couldnt build on it and slowly plucked away key pieces one by one.

Toronto, the best team in the East just got swept in the semis.

Must be time to blow them up. DeRozen, Lowry etc must be bums. Trade the lot, tank next season, get the no.1 pick and then win the championship in 2020

Yep I'm on the phone tonight with Masai Ujiri talkin draft day trades if I'm Wallace. They need a shake up. We need a shake up. Derozan, Lowry, JV, Ibaka, Miles, Wright, Vanvleet, Norman Powell. Any of those guys would be better pieces than what we have here. Maybe JV, Powell + their pick for Gasol?

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Its because in the midst of you once again going on your soap box rants about everyone not appreciating this team through thick and thin sickness and health til death due us part, you are not getting that this conversation is really about the level of competency this team was at in comparison to the top dogs. Not just a blind list of accomplishments. Trust me, the guy I was responding to will certainly mention injuries to the Grizzlies. He takes care of that to the fullest extent. He has recently used Mike Conleys back injury in December 2016 as something that could have had an impact on him for the 2017 playoffs. So the Westbrook injury has to be mentioned in this particular conversation.

BTW, I have always said that the 2011 Grizzlies were probably the most talented from top to bottom if Gay were around. To bad crappy management couldnt build on it and slowly plucked away key pieces one by one.

Okay, I'll throw my soapbox in the corner for now, just don't bring up that Westbrook stuff.  Nobody knows 'cause it just happened the way it did.

I will agree about this team likely not making the playoffs this season, even with a healthy roster.  We didn't have enough strong vets and our young guys needed a lot of seasoning.  Hopefully they got enough to make a difference next season.

2011 was magnificent.  If we could have gotten by the Thunder, who knows?  We took the season series from the Mavs that season.