Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Bickerstaff set to be named permanent head coach

That is not good, I would prefer Fizdale to stay or we get a Mark Jackson type of coach.

But this franchise do anything that Marc and MC says so...

I’m happy for JB. He deserves a fair shot...could be a great situation for him IF Conley comes back 100% as the 2017 playoffs version. He’ll have a young talent to develop along with solid vets. It’s not unreasonable to think he could coach a playoff team next year and be in the running for COY

He definitely deserves a chance after what the front office put him through this past season. Glad to see this happening.  

No issues with the Grizz potentially locking down Bickerstaff for next season. Mike and Marc era doesn't have a ton of juice left, and not sure they want to undergo another coaching regime. if they like JB, then let's roll with it.

And if the wheels fall off and this era of Grizzlies basketball is done for, JB has shown that he can remain composed through a tank while keeping the young guys engaged.

37 minutes ago, Acehigh718 said:

No issues with the Grizz potentially locking down Bickerstaff for next season. Mike and Marc era doesn't have a ton of juice left, and not sure they want to undergo another coaching regime. if they like JB, then let's roll with it.

And if the wheels fall off and this era of Grizzlies basketball is done for, JB has shown that he can remain composed through a tank while keeping the young guys engaged.

That's a coach's job.  Get the job done without drawing a ton of attention to yourself.  

If we wanted a guy who thinks he knows everything about basketball and everything else I am sure we will resign Marc Gasol at some point.

even though he's the best fit to "tow the company line;" i have to admit he did a yeoman's job developing brooks, Harrison, and selden.  Initially i preferred M. Jackson, but I think its only fair to give JB a shot at it. When he took over from McHale, he led them to a 37-34 finish.  Maybe we got something here.

He’s a cheap hire. That’s the only reason he’s being hired.

59 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

even though he's the best fit to "tow the company line;" i have to admit he did a yeoman's job developing brooks, Harrison, and selden.  Initially i preferred M. Jackson, but I think its only fair to give JB a shot at it. When he took over from McHale, he led them to a 37-34 finish.  Maybe we got something here.

Fizdale developed Harrison. 

What has Selden done?

Brooks was just a draft steal. Had nothing to do with player development 

Lazy, unimaginative hire. The team didn't believe in Him. If Gasol and Conley like him its only because he will let them loaf and do what they want without accountability. The team got blown out by 60 and was laughing about it afterwards. Gasol didn't want to play for JB, Gasol won't play for Life long "career assistants" who never played at the NBA level, as was shown how he treated Fizdale. . The team  needed to do due diligence and conduct a search. JB came with Fizdale, no way they have a definite plan and it included JB as the coach. Just a lazy, unimaginative, and "cheap" hire.

20 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Lazy, unimaginative hire. The team didn't believe in Him.

You don't know that.

If Gasol and Conley like him its only because he will let them loaf and do what they want without accountability.

Has Conley even played a game for Bickerstaff?

The team got blown out by 60 and was laughing about it afterwards. Gasol didn't want to play for JB, Gasol won't play for Life long "career assistants" who never played at the NBA level

Joerger.

, as was shown how he treated Fizdale. 

How did he treat Fizdale? And how did Fizdale treat Gasol?

The team  needed to do due diligence and conduct a search. JB came with Fizdale, no way they have a definite plan and it included JB as the coach. Just a lazy, unimaginative, and "cheap" hire.

38 minutes ago, Allen said:

What has Selden done?

fitz started the development of Harrison.  jb continued it.  selden has proved when healthy and a opportunity that he can contribute on this level.  i agree brooks was a draft steal, but imagine if joerger was coach still.  he never would've gotten off the bench.  i'm not riding jb's jock, just think he deserves a shot at the head job.

Face it we weren't gonna get anyone better. Best case scenario was bringing him back for a real proper shot at coaching a team that won't be on cruise control next year.

Talk about not even trying anymore. Well what can one expect from a team "led" by Chris Wallace .Epic blunder after blunder at least this is just a meh par for the course.

7 hours ago, bhoyal said:

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2018/4/26/17285360/report-bickerstaff-permanent-head-coach-grizzlies-nba

quote:

Barring any setbacks in negotiations, J.B. Bickerstaff will be the new head coach for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Isn't that something, McHale coached 11 games but got fired at mid-season. JB coached 71 games.

4 hours ago, Acehigh718 said:

Maybe hew will get his dad to be his assistant HC.

3 hours ago, Allen said:

What has Selden done?

That sounds convenient.  Give the credit to the guy you want, withhold it from the guy you don't like.

3 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Lazy, unimaginative hire. The team didn't believe in Him. If Gasol and Conley like him its only because he will let them loaf and do what they want without accountability. The team got blown out by 60 and was laughing about it afterwards. Gasol didn't want to play for JB, Gasol won't play for Life long "career assistants" who never played at the NBA level, as was shown how he treated Fizdale. . The team  needed to do due diligence and conduct a search. JB came with Fizdale, no way they have a definite plan and it included JB as the coach. Just a lazy, unimaginative, and "cheap" hire.

Really?  I guess Conley got to "loaf" all season since he has never been healthy enough to play a single game under JB.  How about how Fizdale treated Gasol?  Sounds like a lot of made up unhappiness from a Fizdale fanboy.  Why don't you give Bickerstaff a chance before prejudging him?

14 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

That sounds convenient.  Give the credit to the guy you want, withhold it from the guy you don't like.

What? Fizdale obviously is more responsible for Harrison’s development