Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

When is come to the bigs in the draft i think we need to consider who fits best beside DD.

wether you like him or not Davis is more than likely going to play a huge part in the future of the grizzlies...so I think when it come to the bigs in this draft if we draft one we need to pick the one that fits best beside him.

davis is starting to show what he has potential to be and imo I think what is a defensive shotblocking big, lob target, with a midrange j and serviceable postgame...so the question is who do you want to put beside that

for me its all about defense so I'm torn between JacksonJr./Bamba...but put one of those guys beside DD and that's the start of making a top 5 defense easily.

Stay away from Bigs.... remember Thabeet  Our excelent scouting and FO 

Lol...so we are supposed to juggle a top 5 pick around their ability to fit with a player who hasn’t proven worthy of being a rotation player?

32 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Lol...so we are supposed to juggle a top 5 pick around their ability to fit with a player who hasn’t proven worthy of being a rotation player?

Indeed, he's somewhere around #10-15 in the rotation. 

35 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

LMAO..."if this lottery pick can't play with our 3rd string C we ain't uh draffin him"....sounds like something the Griz would do. 

DD looks like dog doo tonight. Maybe the team should think who pairs best with Ivan Rabb instead.

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

DD looks like dog doo tonight. Maybe the team should think who pairs best with Ivan Rabb instead.

How about who could be the best player on their own two feet? Then once you find that player, if Rabb, Davis, Martin or whoever doesnt compliment him, use another low first round pick or second rounder (or better) to find a better compliment?

We should just draft the best player available regardless of position and fit. Who knows what is going to happen next season, maybe Marc will be gone, maybe Conley will miss many games because of injury etc.. I think Ayton is the guy we should go after if we get the #1 pick, but if FO decides to take Doncic or Bagley, they should do it because this is the guy they think is the best player available not because we need a wing or a PF.

2 hours ago, Grizball said:

We should just draft the best player available regardless of position and fit. Who knows what is going to happen next season, maybe Marc will be gone, maybe Conley will miss many games because of injury etc.. I think Ayton is the guy we should go after if we get the #1 pick, but if FO decides to take Doncic or Bagley, they should do it because this is the guy they think is the best player available not because we need a wing or a PF.

I agree.

Let's build around Mike Conley.

Pick DeAndre Ayton to be his Greg Oden.

C DeAndre Ayton

PF Ivan Rabb

SF Keita Bates-Diop (second round)

SG Tyreke Evans

PG Mike Conley

CmUIGoBUsAA00QH.jpg

12 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Like he always does. Rabb is the guy we should look to pair somebody with.

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If only Rabb could bring his college game to the NBA, he's an all-star.

7 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Indeed. I think Doncic would be really well suited for us. He can do multiple things for us. He can run an offense.

No no no no no! There is not one single person on this roster who we should affect our draft. NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER. You take the best player available. Our best players are Mike and Marc. By the time this draft pick is ready to dominate the league, those two guys will be done (or at least reduced to present day Vince Carter role of aging vet who can teach a lot). Everyone else on our team is a role player. Nobody has shown they are a star. As such, they should not receive star treatment. So stop worrying about who fits next to DD or Rabb or Harrison and go draft the guy you think will have the best NBA career.

13 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

No no no no no! There is not one single person on this roster who we should affect our draft. NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER. You take the best player available. Our best players are Mike and Marc. By the time this draft pick is ready to dominate the league, those two guys will be done (or at least reduced to present day Vince Carter role of aging vet who can teach a lot). Everyone else on our team is a role player. Nobody has shown they are a star. As such, they should not receive star treatment. So stop worrying about who fits next to DD or Rabb or Harrison and go draft the guy you think will have the best NBA career.

That's a great sentiment but who would be the best talent? 

Lol. I’m saying Doncic because he can singlehandedly handle the team. He likes to move the ball and has a killer step back. He is capable of playin 3 positions possibly 4 if going super small. So if someone gets hurt it won’t bog our offense down like in the past. He’s played against nba talent already.

34 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'm starting to think that at the top 2-4 it's becoming a matter of personal preference. Ayton, Doncic, Bagley and Porter all have great talent, but they're different talents so it's not easy to compare.

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm starting to think that at the top 2-4 it's becoming a matter of personal preference. Ayton, Doncic, Bagley and Porter all have great talent, but they're different talents so it's not easy to compare.

I agree with you. When the talent is so similar wouldn't it make sense to consider how they fit with the team when making the selection? No one is suggesting ignoring a clearly superior player. But when there is no clear cut pick doesn't it make sense to look at the roster makeup as a component of the decision making process? 

10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

That's not my top 4. But it's more like top 8 anyway. None of those top 4 are a cut above, JJJ, Bamba, Trae Young or Miles Bridges. If anything this hyper focus on the draft has shown how many holes the top 4 as you say have in their game.

Just now, chipc3 said:

I agree with you. When the talent is so similar wouldn't it make sense to consider how they fit with the team when making the selection? No one is suggesting ignoring a clearly superior player. But when there is no clear cut pick doesn't it make sense to look at the roster makeup as a component of the decision making process? 

Eeeh, not really. I think you need to make a call on who is going to be the best building block in the long term, especially when your current core doesn't have many years left in it.

An extreme example to illustrate my point is the 1984 draft. Houston picked Olajuwon even though they had Ralph Sampson, and it was a success because he became the core piece in a championship. You can argue that they missed on Jordan, but their decision making process was sound and it paid off. On the other hand Portland picked Sam Bowie (in part) because they already had Clyde Drexler, and I would argue that even if Bowie's career hadn't been destroyed by injuries none that wouldn't have been a championship core. You definitely don't build a champion on Sam Bowie.

Obviously we don't know if there's a Michael Jordan in this draft ("Signs point to no") but I don't want current fit to be a major decision factor in who we pick. Especially when "fit" is arguable as well. Who says Ayton can't play with Gasol, or Doncic with Conley?

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

That's not my top 4. But it's more like top 8 anyway. None of those top 4 are a cut above, JJJ, Bamba, Trae Young or Miles Bridges. If anything this hyper focus on the draft has shown how many holes the top 4 as you say have in their game.

Well, that's my top 4, but it's not really the point (or rather, it highlights it). My point is that in the absence of a clear cut number 1 there's a lot of subjectivity in what "best talent" is. But whoever in the FO evaluates what "best talent" is needs to put that evaluation a notch above "best fit."

Draft best available. Do not draft a player that fits nest to your rotational backup C who is only the backup because they traded Wright.

Right now I'd go with Ayton as number 1 because of size and talent. Imagine him in a couple of seasons of strength building. He will be right up there with Anthony Davis, Embiid, and KAT.

With that said, I wouldn't be sad if we came away with Doncic or Bagley. I think those two are your safe bets that fit both best available after Ayton and a need for this team.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

My current board is Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Jackson, Carter, Young, Porter, Bamba. Obviously I will think higher of Porter if medicals come back as him being ok long term. 

But my original point was whoever the team likes best/ thinks will have the best NBA career is who they should draft, without any regard to how that individual fits with this team. 

Just ask yourself the question "Who would you take at number 1?". Would you take Bamba, Jackson, Porter, Sexton or Young? No. Would you take Ayton, Bagley or Doncic? Yes. It's between those three. And from there who we pick should be based on two things; where we finish and whoever has the best combine/workouts/interviews. Not a matter of who fits best with Deyonta Davis, who might not even be on the team in a year.