PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Bamba and Young are the only unicorns i see i this draft.

Recommended Posts

first off I have to admit it but I don't watch college bball but have been watch tape of some of the players that should be lottery picks,,,and tre young and bamba are the only ones that make me say D*** that's impressive...all the other players are meh in my opinion...also who ever drafts a duke player is going to be highly disappointed.

Bamba:

 

Young:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Unicorn=3pt shooting rim protector

Yeah.  If Bamba turns into his upside then we can call him Captain Parade.

Trae Young looks like a chucker -- not a unicorn.

I think Ayton looks like a prototype center -- at least on offense.  Collin Sexton looks like a prototype point guard.  Although not tall/long enough to really be termed a "unicorn".

JJJ and Mikal Bridges look like, uh, "unicorn role players".  If that is a thing.  Like if you think Robert Horry was a unicorn role player who hit the 3, could defend 3 spots, and also dunk and rebound.  JJJ looks like a 3 and D stretch 4 or a small ball five, even if he doesn't maximize the rest of his skill set.  Bridges looks like that 3 and D shooting guard you could really use today -- even if never becomes an all-star.

Luca Doncic: "unicorn 4th option"? The perimeter, offensive equivalent of Draymond Green?  Does a lot of everything, is fiery, and is overqualified to be the 4th guy but not good enough to be a 2nd option or even a top shelf third option.  Doncic has a mix of "unicorn" with maybe some Lonzo Ball/Ben Simmons stuff, or for the throwback optimist Magic/Bird, but some "Meh stuff" too like a lack of athleticism, not really enough unicorn length or size for the wing, and meh shooting all-around.  

Going back to the original point: Mohamed Bamba has a chance to be THE Unicorn.  Yep, the 3 and D center.  Mutombo or Bill Russell on defense with a workable 3 point shot.  He is only shooting 28% or so from deep, but I am wondering if that isn't bad.  I think most shooters feast on the corner 3 chip shots.  Wonder what the averages are for straight away 3's and 3's from the elbow.  I saw some highlights against TCU or somebody and Bamba was doing some Greek Freak type stuff with the ball/slashing for layups.  If he makes a modicum of those Greek Freak-esque dribble-drives per game, hits around 25% or so on straight away 3's, and is able to hit the jump hook and the mid-range jumper at decent rates then you might end up with the best guy in the league in a few years, or at least one of the top few centers.

Bamba's highlights are UNREAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah.  If Bamba turns into his upside then we can call him Captain Parade.

Trae Young looks like a chucker -- not a unicorn.

I think Ayton looks like a prototype center -- at least on offense.  Collin Sexton looks like a prototype point guard.  Although not tall/long enough to really be termed a "unicorn".

JJJ and Mikal Bridges look like, uh, "unicorn role players".  If that is a thing.  Like if you think Robert Horry was a unicorn role player who hit the 3, could defend 3 spots, and also dunk and rebound.  JJJ looks like a 3 and D stretch 4 or a small ball five, even if he doesn't maximize the rest of his skill set.  Bridges looks like that 3 and D shooting guard you could really use today -- even if never becomes an all-star.

Luca Doncic: "unicorn 4th option"? The perimeter, offensive equivalent of Draymond Green?  Does a lot of everything, is fiery, and is overqualified to be the 4th guy but not good enough to be a 2nd option or even a top shelf third option.  Doncic has a mix of "unicorn" with maybe some Lonzo Ball/Ben Simmons stuff, or for the throwback optimist Magic/Bird, but some "Meh stuff" too like a lack of athleticism, not really enough unicorn length or size for the wing, and meh shooting all-around.  

Going back to the original point: Mohamed Bamba has a chance to be THE Unicorn.  Yep, the 3 and D center.  Mutombo or Bill Russell on defense with a workable 3 point shot.  He is only shooting 28% or so from deep, but I am wondering if that isn't bad.  I think most shooters feast on the corner 3 chip shots.  Wonder what the averages are for straight away 3's and 3's from the elbow.  I saw some highlights against TCU or somebody and Bamba was doing some Greek Freak type stuff with the ball/slashing for layups.  If he makes a modicum of those Greek Freak-esque dribble-drives per game, hits around 25% or so on straight away 3's, and is able to hit the jump hook and the mid-range jumper at decent rates then you might end up with the best guy in the league in a few years, or at least one of the top few centers.

Bamba's highlights are UNREAL.

I would agree with that if he wasn't shooting 36% from 3pt with taking curry like 3pt shoots...mix that with the ability to handle/pass the ball..he going to be a double/double everynight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

I would agree with that if he wasn't shooting 36% from 3pt with taking curry like 3pt shoots...mix that with the ability to handle/pass the ball..he going to be a double/double everynight.

I like his passing.  Good floor general.  Probably better than Curry at this.  Or, he could be as good or better at these two things in the pros.  PEAK CURRY could hit ANYTHING -- although he isn't even hitting some of those shots now, although he is still one of the best at it.  

I wouldn't call Curry a "unicorn" since he isn't that big or athletic and has a slight build.  Now, if he were 6'8 and doing that as a big point guard -- THAT would be a unicorn.  But Chris Jackson did Curry like things.  Mark Price. Pistol Pete was a bigger even FLASHIER version of Steph Curry more than 40 years ago.  

I think we are more likely to have a superstar big (Ayton, Bamba, JJJ, or even Carter or Bagley) or a superstar point guard (Sexton or Young) than a superstar wing -- although Doncic, Porter, Jr., and Mikal Bridges do different things and give you different looks.  I think they are at least all solid with Porter, Jr. being a SMALL BALL kind of small forward with Doncic and Mikal almost being more throwback guys especially if Doncic plays more at the 3... if he is a point guard, then I think he could be a Lonzo Ball-like player, and Ball is a guy I really like, but MAYBE we might be nearing the end of the small ball era and returning to an era of the BIG MEN as well as hyper-athletic guards or even bigger guards.  Yeah, Curry has an MVP award and a couple of titles, but he isn't the MVP this season (Harden is), but a guy like DeMar DeRozan -- a player built like an elite late 80's-early 90's shooting guard -- is hanging around the MVP sleeper race.  Mikal Bridges might look more like the prototype 2 guard than a Curry or Harden.  Doncic might be too slow to play point and too small to play the 3.  So then you have a shooting guard with really solid 2 guard size, but you have questions about his defense, so, yeah, he could turn into a souped-up Klay Thompson, OR he could struggle a bit, maybe more like (insert white guy comparison alert here) Craig Ehlo.  Although stylistically with a game similar to Lonzo Ball but in slightly different ways, I will concede you some mega comps for Luka if he shows me something in workouts.  I think we will know a lot more by summer league, but by then that could be too late.

NOW, I think the prototype GUARD of the future is somebody like Donovan Mitchell -- either a 2 or a 1 basically a Baby Jordan type.  Then what else does that team have? Rudy Gobert a rim-rocking, sky-scraping center.  I am really thinking that if they pick up an IDEAL, athletic, all-around small forward who can complement the Mitchell-Gobert Axis of Evil then I really think they can steal a title soon.

The Utah Jazz are the team of the future -- or at least they have two things I would want -- the explosive, kinetic guard, and a fantasy football-esque one man TEAM DEFENSE.  IF they get their ideal third option (draft? this draft falls off but there should still be some good players when they pick IF they have a 1st), then Ricky Rubio fulfills his destiny as the ideal 4th option, basically a point guard version of Draymond Green.

So, ok, that is a THING now: the Unicorn Fourth Option, paying homage to the great Draymond Green, or reaching back, Toni Kukoc aka the Unicorn Fourth Option 6th man aka Quite Possibly the Original Stretch 5 (albeit in VERY limited minutes) With All-Around Ball Skills.

Doncic, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges, and some others fit that description.  Probably Grayson Allen -- a guy MORE like James Harden than even Luka Doncic and a player who ALSO shows glimpses of being the next White Baby Jordan -- and, if possible, may be an even BIGGER A-Hole.  And, my junkyard dog, Moneyball, cheat code, life hack version of Draymond Green: Nick Ward.  Zona's Rawle Alkins, too.  Looks like the result of a 3 way between Oscar Robertson, Draymond Green, and Bo Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

 who ever drafts a duke player is going to be highly disappointed

No superstars, but I'd watch a lineup of Luol Deng, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Kyrie Irving and Grant Hill, 
if I could have them all at their peak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

...around the MVP sleeper race.  Mikal Bridges might look more like the prototype 2 guard than a Curry or Harden.  Doncic might be too slow to play point and too small to play the 3.  So then you have a shooting ...

I have to assume that you either do not know Doncic's size or don't have any idea of the size of most SFs in the NBA.  Doncic is two inches taller than our current starting SF and only one inch shorter and two pounds lighter than our starting PF.  He would be near the same size as guys like Harrison Barnes, Paul George, Wilson Chandler, Kyle Kuzma, DeMarre Carroll, TJ Warren, OG Anunoby, Rudy Gay, Luc Mbah a Moute, and Draymond Green who plays PF and small ball center.  He is the same height as LeBron and Melo (but those guys would have 20-30 lbs on him just like they do the other aforementioned players).  He is not too small for the 3 slot on any roster.  As for the point guard reference, my guess would be more like point forward ala LeBron and Pippen.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm neither endorsing nor recommending against Doncic as our pick.  He looks talented and has been performing against higher level competition than his prospective draft counterparts, but he looks like he frequently gets out of control and I'm not sold on the reliability of his jump shot.  I still would not be upset with drafting him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a young team and you want to win fast, you solve defense.

That's why I love Bamba and that's why I love kyhri Thomas.

Kyhri Thomas is the best defender in the last 5 drafts at least. Probably since gobert.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collin Sexton will be the best value pick in this draft. Whoever gets him around 6-9 will be getting a steal.

Since we are clearly tanking for the #1 IMO Ayton or Bagley would be the safest picks in the top 2. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see anything safe about Bagley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Kyhri Thomas is not even the best defender in this draft but I do like him.

I don't know about that. The guys that Thomas has shut down over the past two years, you can make a laundry list of Star players. That's why he's won the defensive player of the year two years in a row. 

Bomba is a rim protector and a rebounder but he still has a lot of work to be a potential defensive nightmare for teams.

I like bambas length and athletic ability, but his true Elite skill right now is rebounding and that's why I want him. Though he's got a ton of defensive potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know who we should take anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trae is still the best PG in this draft. People saying he is nothing like Curry at all need some highlights to look at. 

Here you go.

Also, if he happens to slip out of the lottery I’m picking Ayton and trading up to get him. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curry wasn’t even the primary ball handler for his team. He didn’t develop his handles until he got to the NBA. 

Trae is already a step ahead in that category. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, grizzgolf said:

I don't even know who we should take anymore

There is no #1.  Literally all the top players are a matter of preference and projection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just matters where our pick lands, then we'll know who to pick. Can't go too wrong with any of the top 7 IMO. 

Obviously we need someone to come in and contribute immediately, which may end up causing us to pick based on that need vs best player available... With NO pick next year we cannot tank. Memphis fans won't be down for a multi-year tank job, and with the contracts we have on the books we'd have to get off of 2 of 3 Mark, Mike, Chandler contracts to make tanking even sensible. 

We need a ranking and from there we'll just see who we land with based on how the picks shake out. My list is as follows, and since we'll be picking top 5 we won't have to worry about anyone outside of this list: 

 

1. Ayton

1b. Doncic

3. Bagley

4. Porter

5. Bamba

6. JJJ

7. Trey Young

 

I could be convinced to swap Young and Jackson Jr here, and I could also be convinced to leave Porter off of our board completely (except in some whacky trade down scenario or lottery bs that lands us in the 7-10 range) based on the injury issues and our need to win now. 

Really exciting that we could get one of these players. This will be the first rookie to be hyped about since... I dunno, Conley? I'm still mad we didn't take Rodney Hood a couple years back... would've had me excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was comparing our 3 favorite bigs in this draft (I still have Ayton #1 but y'all are apparently out on him), and maybe we should be giving JJJ more consideration if we're outside of the top 2... His defense is out of this world and apparently he can shoot 3s even better than Bamba (on 4.5 attempts per 36, vs 2 for Bamba)

 

Mock drafts now have JJJ as a top 4 prospect, ahead of Bagley, Bamba and Young. 

 

image.thumb.png.5582e8e6ba7c5ba52de28e669ad2ecb3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now