Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Was Firing Coach Fizsdale the Answer?

14 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Just guessing but maybe his political stance. I remember after he got fired I saw a handful of posts on here saying he deserved to be fired for his comments on the confederate statues

No that's not accurate.

Nobody said he deserved to be fired because of his comments on confederate statues. I challenge you to find these comments since your the one making them. Some posters did say, however, that it was not his place as a sports coach to be commenting on political historical issues, but many did say that it was his right (ie. Freedom of speech) to be able to provide his personal thoughts on the issue.

For me, none of this is the reason. I have said it repeatedly, and consistently the reasons why. He lied to the team when he took them over. He lied about the biggest and most important identity of the the Grizzlies/GNG persona - Zach Randolph, and his future and role with the team.

You can believe what ever you want to believe, and reason it anyway you want to suit your own narrative, but you ask the fans and supporters, and I'm sure that you going to hear many times the response about Fizdale killing the chemistry and identity of the team - and with that, Zach Randolph, and to a lesser extent, Tony Allen.

And I'll bet my mortgage that Marc has been ****** since day one when he realised Fizdale wanted Zach out

And I agree with KBM, about Joerger being a waaaaaay better coach than Fizdale.

Joerger (who me personally didn't think was that great compared to Hollins), knew and understood what the Grizzlies were, the GNG persona, and the limitations of the personnel, and instead of ditching it like Fizdale did, utilized and followed it (maybe to his own detriment - who can forget his famous play call, "Give it to #50!"), and understood these were the things that made the team greater than the some of its individual parts.

Fizdale completely disrespected and trashed that.

I couldn't stand Fizzle as a leader/coach.  Way too much ego. Way too dramatic-- Almost a clownish insincere demeanor I cant put my finger on.  DJ while WAY better coach than Fizzle was too political for my taste.

Hollins and Hubie had ideal coach temperaments. imo.   So I like how Bickerstaff carries himself- kind of old school.

But yeah Fizz's personality just is too cartoonish for my taste- I can see why Marc couldn't take him seriously.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:35 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

Fizdale is an utter joke. He's already telling the New York media that porzingis can play the shooting guard position, bwhaeawasa.

His big talk sounds revolutionary but at the end of the day he's a two-bit con artist. Don Nelson himself would be rolling over in his group home.

He wasn't half the coach that Dave Joerger was, and I'm not even a big Dave joerger fan. But Dave could coach circles around Fizdale.

This was the tweet you were referencing. It got a lot of confused reactions in the NBA press.

@MikeVorkunov

David Fizdale says he's thought of playing a big Knicks lineup with Kevin Knox at the 2 and a frontcourt of Kristaps Porzingis at the 3 with Luke Kornet and Mitchell Robinson. "I have a crush on wingspan." Says he doesn't want to pidgeonhole anyone to any position.

Grizzlies FO shot themselves in the foot when they fired Fizdale. How many players want to come here to play with Gasol?

waiting for your answers.......

Fizdale is the type of coach other NBA players respected and join the Grizzlies to play for him. 

We have a small market team that doesn't get noticed but Fizdale was changing that.

NO

2 hours ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

This was the tweet you were referencing. It got a lot of confused reactions in the NBA press.

@MikeVorkunov

David Fizdale says he's thought of playing a big Knicks lineup with Kevin Knox at the 2 and a frontcourt of Kristaps Porzingis at the 3 with Luke Kornet and Mitchell Robinson. "I have a crush on wingspan." Says he doesn't want to pidgeonhole anyone to any position.

How did the Knicks win the draft?  Is that even supposed to happen?

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

No that's not accurate.

Nobody said he deserved to be fired because of his comments on confederate statues. I challenge you to find these comments since your the one making them. Some posters did say, however, that it was not his place as a sports coach to be commenting on political historical issues, but many did say that it was his right (ie. Freedom of speech) to be able to provide his personal thoughts on the issue.

This is how I remember it as well. Good post.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:14 AM, Blue Bear said:

Grizzlies FO shot themselves in the foot when they fired Fizdale. How many players want to come here to play with Gasol?

waiting for your answers.......

Fizdale is the type of coach other NBA players respected and join the Grizzlies to play for him. 

We have a small market team that doesn't get noticed but Fizdale was changing that.

NO

That's just pure BS. Let's see how he does with the Knicks. He wasn't the lead guy in Miami and it's pretty easy to win with 4 all-stars on a team. They get calls all the time when other players don't get them.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:20 AM, BigHunkALove said:

And I agree with KBM, about Joerger being a waaaaaay better coach than Fizdale.

Joerger (who me personally didn't think was that great compared to Hollins), knew and understood what the Grizzlies were, the GNG persona, and the limitations of the personnel, and instead of ditching it like Fizdale did, utilized and followed it (maybe to his own detriment - who can forget his famous play call, "Give it to #50!"), and understood these were the things that made the team greater than the some of its individual parts.

Fizdale completely disrespected and trashed that.

Feed #50

When Mac-bo was eating everybody knew their role and seat at the table ... Marc’s aggressiveness all but left with #50... 

GNG forever plus one TA floor slap and flex

FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE 

3 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Feed #50

When Mac-bo was eating everybody knew their role and seat at the table ... Marc’s aggressiveness all but left with #50... 

FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE 

Yep they were great memories

13 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Feed #50

FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE 

10 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yep they were great memories

Z-bo and TA gonna be hard to top on the all Memphis all time Grizz roster

1 hour ago, Jetfixer said:

More players would line up to play with Marc, before playing for Fiz.

Nobodies lining up to play with Marc

I liked Fizdale. I knew he was on a rookie head coach learning curve.

I wondered about his job status because of the injuries, and also, his words against the racist statues showed that he either didn't understand a large part of the Memphis fanbase or, what's more likely, that he didn't care. (I was impressed.) This leads me to wonder when caused things turned sour and what happened before and after that point.

I believe this Pera quote about Bickerstaff from his last interview was directed toward Fizdale. "He’ll compromise when he sees it’s best for the organization."

4 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I liked Fizdale. I knew he was on a rookie head coach learning curve.

I wondered about his job status because of the injuries, and also, his words against the racist statues showed that he either didn't understand a large part of the Memphis fanbase or, what's more likely, that he didn't care. (I was impressed.) This leads me to wonder when caused things turned sour and what happened before and after that point.

I believe this Pera quote about Bickerstaff from his last interview was directed toward Fizdale. "He’ll compromise when he sees it’s best for the organization."

Some people criticized Hollins for being too "my way or the highway". Guess it may apply here too.