Holidayinn21

Are you all ready for our top pick to be a 4th option?

"A healthy Mike, with Marc, Tyreke, WITH a high pick"- I've seen this a few times on this board, in social media, and even in a Mock Draft. No. No. No. I am not interested in seeing in our likely top-5 pick be a role player, or the "help" for these guys. Now, the pick may turn into a bust, a role player, or the first superstar this franchise has ever had. I wanna find out from Day 1 next year. I want to see the greatness and  the growing pains, and how he handles them. Wallace has convinced the fans that this was an outlier season, and next year it'll be the "playoffs" again. If that's the mindset, they're not trusting a rook to get them back there.

I'm not saying he has to come in and save the franchise, but I don't want to wait til year 3 to see if he can become the man.

If he can play he will show it no matter what

31 minutes ago, Allen said:

If he can play he will show it no matter what

On the surface this sounds good, but we know that's not gonna happen, especially if Marc is on the roster.

And answer this, tell me the last top-10 pick that started off as a 4th option, then became a superstar, especially on a veteran team?

IMO the only players you could get that from are Ayton, Doncic and Porter. Those are the only guys I could see bein #1 from day 1. Guys like Bagley n Young could turn into that but it's the nba, what they're doin in college ain't gonna cut it. 

Especially Young. His post-game interview a couple weeks back was very tellin. He was strugglin and he said somethin like "I'm bein defended like noone else in the country". Well you're bein defended by kids that aren't even gonna be drafted lol the **** u gonna do when you're bein defended in the nba?

Are we really complaining about the #1 pick already? 😂😂😂 I guess whoever posted that was right.

Honestly , Marc and Mike would gladly take a step back for a CAPABLE rookie. And the amount of ready to go players drafters by teams EXPECTING  to make the playoffs is very slim.

I dont think we can be picky right now. We need talent. Any kinda talent. I cant stand that we gotta debate over slaw like Harrison, Davis or Selden as our only future players.

6 hours ago, Crizzle said:

We very well may draft Porter who could come in and become our first option off the jump. 

But if he's listed 4th in the media it must mean he is our 4th option, at least according to OP.

I would hate to see what happens if they list Parsons too....does that mean 5th option? 

Or is this just proactive complaining?

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

But if he's listed 4th in the media it must mean he is our 4th option, at least according to OP.

I would hate to see what happens if they list Parsons too....does that mean 5th option? 

Or is this just proactive complaining?

:D Yeah, and protective, precautionary, preemptive and maybe even pragmatic.

Oh, and I agree with the OP. We really need to be worried about this. :D

Seriously, I too hope to see supergood from the getgo, even so, I expect team good health alone will put us back in the playoffs. I expect the pick to put us further along.

I like what we saw from Tyreke this year but I really hope the Grizzlies don't sign him this offseason. The numbers are great but to me there is a reason why he has never been on a winning team. His style doesn't led itself to winning basketball.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:59 AM, Crizzle said:

We very well may draft Porter who could come in and become our first option off the jump. 

This is what I’m hoping for. That and his health. A lot of people were reporting that he would return to playing this year. We just need to take a shot at him.

23 hours ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I like what we saw from Tyreke this year but I really hope the Grizzlies don't sign him this offseason. The numbers are great but to me there is a reason why he has never been on a winning team. His style doesn't led itself to winning basketball.

the problem is because he "passes the eye tests" and is uber skilled teams/coaches make him play a larger role than is necessary.  

Give Reke 25mg off bench with second unit or have him 4th option in starting unit and I have no doubt he can be a part of a winning team.  He just cant take on a  superstar type role. Reke is basically another high level role player. He needs to be utilized as such 

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

the problem is because he "passes the eye tests" and is uber skilled teams/coaches make him play a larger role than is necessary.  

Give Reke 25mg off bench with second unit or have him 4th option in starting unit and I have no doubt he can be a part of a winning team.  He just cant take on a  superstar type role. Reke is basically another high level role player. He needs to be utilized as such 

At full health next year, I would like to go with a big man in the draft to pair with Marc Gasol, then 3 solid perimeter guys in Conley, Andrew Harrison, and Dillon Brooks.  If Tyreke should start, fine.  BUT, I agree, I think he would be a great 6th man for us if we get back to full strength.  Our OTHER bench guys would be McLemore at the 2 (or go with Kobi Simmons and Tyreke as the backup guards), with JaMychal Green as our third big, Deyonta Davis as our backup center, and Jarrel Martin as our eternal project.  

I want an athletic, rangy small forward off the bench (heck, we could use a starting athletic, rangy small forward, too) since I don't trust Chandler Parsons much at all.  If I do, I want him as a Rich Man's/Poor Man's Ryan Anderson-esque stretch four off the bench.

I really want Ayton or Bamba or Jaren Jackson, Jr. in the draft as the Year 1 of our 3 Year Tank Plan.  Next year, get the Best Player Available which will most likely be a guard or small forward (hey, if we have the option of Zion Williamson or even a potential super stretch four unicorn like Bol Bol, those guys would fit in well with Ayton, Bamba, or Jaren Jackson, Jr.).

3rd year: I think we lose the pick unless it is number 1.  If we lose it then we should start looking into the 2021 draft (3 out of 4 Year Tank Plan?), AND try to get into the late first round by buying a pick -- or buying two second rounders. 

So, this year get the BIG MAN.

Next year, get Cameron Reddish or RJ Barrett.  And, you can even put Zion or Bol Bol next to either Ayton, Bamba, or Jackson, Jr.

After that get the BPA in each draft, get some solid "need" guys with second rounders, and let's go from there.

Depending on how Kobi Simmons does, we MAY have our point guard of the future.  If not, we STILL have a promising, or at least SOLID, 3 guard/perimeter rotation of Kobi, Andrew Harrison, and Dillon Brooks.  Then put those guys next to Barrett or Reddish.  Then you have a blue chip center/combo big, with JaMychal Green, J Mart, and Rabb and even Deyonta Davis as solid, young(ish) serviceable utility power forwards.  

In this year's second round, I think I would go looking for the most athletic small forward type in the draft.  Even if just a lanky, bouncy, high motor, 6'8 type.

3 hours ago, guillermo said:

Give Reke 25mg off bench with second unit or have him 4th option in starting unit and I have no doubt he can be a part of a winning team.

I think 6th man is the perfect role for him. It was working amazing at the beginning of the year.