Arkm110

Deyonta or Ivan?

So I haven’t been following too much throughout this season especially with us basically throwing this season away with the tanking. What’s the consensus on deyonta or Ivan? Are we planning on using them both in the future or are they just gonna be sharing minutes forever?

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Ivan...not really gonna be close.

Okay also I haven’t watched much of the two players so what are your expectations of Ivan in the future? How do you see him developing

29 minutes ago, Arkm110 said:

So I haven’t been following too much throughout this season especially with us basically throwing this season away with the tanking. What’s the consensus on deyonta or Ivan? Are we planning on using them both in the future or are they just gonna be sharing minutes forever?

Man if Davis had a little fire in his personality  we would build the team around him, sadly that's not the case

56 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Neither seem like anything

Yeah they are. Both are scrubs

Deyonta seems like that big kid that had to play basketball.  Almost like an obligation, but it doesn't appear that he loves it or truly has a passion for the sport. I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't seem like he's going to improve much past where he is and he'll be in the G-League and then out of the league in a few years.

I want to see how much Rabb improves after this season before writing him off.

Both are 21 year olds

13 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Ivan will be a very good 3rd big i think

We're a 3rd big man team in a 1 big man world.

Jam, Ivan The Mediocre, J Mart, and DD are ALL third string bigs (at best).

We have to hope that Marc holds up, OR that we get Ayton in the draft who looks like a future premier big man.  He can also play twin towers with Marc if we are able to draft him this year.  ... Bamba could be a premier big too, but more on the defensive side of the ball.

Ideal 2nd big (and starting power forward): Wendell Carter, Jr. He can play with MG NOW then start next to whichever young big develops the best -- Davis, J Mart, or Rabb.  

Davis looks like he is slowly improving to me. The game seems to be slowing down for him. I can see him bumping his average to like 8pts 6rbs and 1.6blks next year

Some of you have ridiculous expectations.  So Rabb's a "scrub"?  "Ivan The Mediocre"?  He's a rookie who just happens to rebound at a higher rate than anyone on the whole team.  He assists at a higher rate than Dillon Brooks, who everyone seems to be in love with.  He's shooting 61% from the field and has demonstrated a very nice jump shot.  He also has the third highest PER on the team after Tyreke and the other guy you don't see value in - Deyonta Davis.  Marc Gasol is a top 10 shot blocker in the league but Deyonta is blocking them at a higher rate.  Davis is also shooting nearly 65% from the field.  I think they both look promising.  They just need a bit more time to develop.

40 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Some of you have ridiculous expectations.  So Rabb's a "scrub"?  "Ivan The Mediocre"?  He's a rookie who just happens to rebound at a higher rate than anyone on the whole team.  He assists at a higher rate than Dillon Brooks, who everyone seems to be in love with.  He's shooting 61% from the field and has demonstrated a very nice jump shot.  He also has the third highest PER on the team after Tyreke and the other guy you don't see value in - Deyonta Davis.  Marc Gasol is a top 10 shot blocker in the league but Deyonta is blocking them at a higher rate.  Davis is also shooting nearly 65% from the field.  I think they both look promising.  They just need a bit more time to develop.

They think everybody that wasn't drafted in the top 5 are scrubs. They would wait 5 years on a top 5 player to develop (ie OJ).

23 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Deyonta seems like that big kid that had to play basketball.  Almost like an obligation, but it doesn't appear that he loves it or truly has a passion for the sport. I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't seem like he's going to improve much past where he is and he'll be in the G-League and then out of the league in a few years.

I want to see how much Rabb improves after this season before writing him off.

Both are 21 year olds

You must be looking for instant gratification, give the guys a chance to grow. You must be a 1 MINUTE MAN. ;)

If current slow but steady development continues and the draft doesn't change things, Martin and Davis are the future starting 4 and 5. Rabb is an excellent scorer/rebounder on the second unit. I may be wrong but I don't see Rabb's body growing out of tweener status.

I'm excited by the younguns
The Griz have rarely had players who could physically overmatchh their opponent.

DD and Kobi are the newest exceptions.
Here is the upside for each big.  I anticipate this to happen. Kudos Chris Wallace
Ivan- add 20 pounds and be a stalwart on the interior, with step out shooting range.

DD- further develop shot and be a threat from 3 point line all the way in-  one of the best bigs in the league. Patrick Ewing blocking skills.

Jarrell- Continue to develop skills, become a  "point-4"  He would make a great partner to DD on p-n-r. Glue guy 

I've seen things I like from both but not enough consistency from either. However, for most players, it takes 3 or 4 years before they become the players they can be. The reason this team has no good young talent right now is they have not been patient with their picks. So rather than choose between the two, how about we keep letting both of them progress and hope for the best?

I support Davis. He just needs to stop looking scared. I hope Ivan can be a great backup PF for us. 

7 hours ago, tangogriz said:

If current slow but steady development continues and the draft doesn't change things, Martin and Davis are the future starting 4 and 5. Rabb is an excellent scorer/rebounder on the second unit. I may be wrong but I don't see Rabb's body growing out of tweener status.

I could be wrong, but I see Martin as more of a tweener than Rabb.  A small forward's game with a power forward's body.  In three years I expect Rabb to be better than Martin, but it could all depend on the style of play they have to fit into.  Who knows?  If we take a big with the pick this year (which seems likely with so many bigs as top prospects) one or two of the young guys might be gone to make room.

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I could be wrong, but I see Martin as more of a tweener than Rabb.  A small forward's game with a power forward's body.  In three years I expect Rabb to be better than Martin, but it could all depend on the style of play they have to fit into.  Who knows?  If we take a big with the pick this year (which seems likely with so many bigs as top prospects) one or two of the young guys might be gone to make room.

I had not looked at Martin's game that way, but I see it now. I hope they both hang around long enough for us to see who grows into what. Both will have to be reliable scorers to stay long in the league. As a starter though, my money, all two cents of it, is on Martin.

Maybe a new big comes in next year or maybe a new European. If we had two Euro stars it might help our marketability in the league's eyes. Some would say that marketability translates into better calls on the court. (But I would never be that cynical.) :)

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

you just described Lebron or KD or Giannis or PGeorge , etc etc.   

a tweener would be the opposite- a small forward's body but power forward game which deccribes most G league bigs