Sign in to follow this  
Blackwatch

Marc Gasol "Frustrated" over Season

6 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I think the fact that teams focus solely on the gasol and nobody else on our team now that Zach Randolph and others are gone is the reason why his stats are down. Not because he somehow lesser of a player

No one proclaimed the "best big man in the game" should be shooting 41%. Dont care who you put around them.

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

So it has been "well known" for a "long time" (and the opinion of multiple members here on the boards) that Marc is not an Alpha dog, and he's a 3rd or 4th "role player" yet he was asked to exactly that, and when it didn't work out, its Marc failing? What kind of logic is that? That's  what I call a "stitch up"

The REAL reason, aside from injury, aside for ditching experienced veteran NBA talent for no return, is that the roster sux

I also put it to you that if "Marc is the ONLY one displaying nagativity, maybe because he's the only one who gives a dang, everybody else must be happy with being mediocre or happy getting their paychecks

I understand Marcs frustrations. And because nobody else is saying anything doesn't necessarily mean they're happy just getting a check. I like Marc but almost Everytime he says something it's negative or pouting. And blaming everybody else. He doesn't have to score 50pts. But he does not have to be as negative and putting everybody else down either

1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

Gasol was part of any success the Grizz have had. But the word "part" is the key. Gasol alone did not, could not, and has not meant success for the Grizz. Gasol has been PART of a team that always had someone else scoring more, rebounding more, and defending more. He contributed, and contributed well, to the success of the team. By no means was he the main reason why the team was successful. Many people around Memphis may have wanted to paint the picture as such, but folks who truly knew basketball and followed the team knew how the bread was buttered. And it wasn't by Gasol alone. 

To let the better contributors walk for nothing in return, then proclaim that Gasol (and Conley) are the foundation for the future was just asinine.

S‎ee that's where I can't agree with you. Apparently the league doesn't either cuz if that were true than Zbo would've been the a 3-time allstar, not Gasol. TA would've been the DPOY, not Gasol.

Gasol was a part of the success, yes, but he was as big a part as anyone else on the team, possibly even more so. The individual success proves that.

16 hours ago, cdp said:

He's not allowed, like he needs permission lol. Who's allowing you to bash him? Pretty sure Gasol has invested more time and work into the team than any of us here combined. He's entitled to speak his mind about the team more than you are.‎

You don't bash players in the media. That's something a leader doesn't do. That's for team meetings and one-on-one conversations.

Marc and Conley stayed here for so long because we paid them more than anybody else would, let's not act like they were some loyal servants. If Marc wanted to win so badly he should have taken less than the max but he didn't now did he. Another thing he could've done if he wanted to win was not show up fat the season after making the WCF and wasting the last legitimate chance the Core 4 had. 

I can’t blame Marc for saying he is frustrated. He’ll, I am frustrated as a paying fan. Everyone on this board should be frustrated. 

3 hours ago, cdp said:

S‎ee that's where I can't agree with you. Apparently the league doesn't either cuz if that were true than Zbo would've been the a 3-time allstar, not Gasol. TA would've been the DPOY, not Gasol.

Gasol was a part of the success, yes, but he was as big a part as anyone else on the team, possibly even more so. The individual success proves that.

He was a part of the success. But, individual awards are suspect. Part of his "All-Star" accolades could be attributed to being voted in as a center, at a time when there were fewer and fewer true centers in the league. Notice now they do not vote "Centers " in anymore, just guards and forwards.

Even his DPOY award was questioned around the league. He was awarded it, but he didn't lead the league in steals or blocks that year.

He was a part of the success, but he never led the team in scoring AND rebounding in any of the years where he and Z-Bo were starters. He led in scoring by about 1 pt. more than Z-Bo in 14-15 and 15-16, but Z-Bo out rebounded him both of those years. Years prior, Z-bo led the team in both categories, after Gay left. even When Fiz took over and the team was in the playoffs, Fiz had to start Z-Bo just to compete with the Spurs, Gasol was MIA. So, my point is that he was never THE primary contributor on those winning teams. He was an important part, but not prime. Teams definitely keyed in on Z-bo later on, giving Gasol more opportunities.   

when someone is Frustrated, to ME that means someone cares

3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Marc is the biggest hypocrite in the NBA.

More than Dwight Howard? 

Marc's way of winning basketball games and being a good teammate is obviously different than your version of it.

JB Bickerstaff basically praised Marc gasols approach and work ethic, so I don't get your beef with him.

The bottom line is the roster sux, half of it is not NBA talent, then add arguably our best player injured for most of the season, a contract (Parsons) that has killed any chances of bringing in other talent but Marc cant be frustrated?

As it was said earlier, Marc didnt signup for all these fiascos  (add getting Fizdale as head coach to the list above).

If this was happening to LBJ he'd be going off his head, and publically too. Look at what was going on in CLE before the trade deadline

On 3/1/2018 at 12:43 PM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Marc and Conley stayed here for so long because we paid them more than anybody else would, let's not act like they were some loyal servants. If Marc wanted to win so badly he should have taken less than the max but he didn't now did he. Another thing he could've done if he wanted to win was not show up fat the season after making the WCF and wasting the last legitimate chance the Core 4 had. 

This.

ROTFL

Yeah, you just let me know the next time you turn down a pay increase that you feel you earned.  Some posters on these boards have made ridiculous comments that "player X" should take a smaller contract out of team loyalty to help the team sign better free agents or whatever.  If these boards are any indication the truth is that Grizzlies fans haven't shown a shred of loyalty to any of the players, so why in the heck should any fans expect the player to do something they are unwilling to do?  In my years participating here I have seen large numbers of posters trash all of the best players that the franchise has ever had, from PGasol to Battier, to Miller, to Zach, MC, TA, Marc - you name it.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, f-dizzle said:

You don't bash players in the media. That's something a leader doesn't do. That's for team meetings and one-on-one conversations.

Who did he bash? If anything he was saying that he's been bad because the team is losing.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

ROTFL

Yeah, you just let me know the next time you turn down a pay increase that you feel you earned.  Some posters on these boards have made ridiculous comments that "player X" should take a smaller contract out of team loyalty to help the team sign better free agents or whatever.  If these boards are any indication the truth is that Grizzlies fans haven't shown a shred of loyalty to any of the players, so why in the heck should any fans expect the player to do something they are unwilling to do?  In my years participating here I have seen large numbers of posters trash all of the best players that the franchise has ever had, from PGasol to Battier, to Miller, to Zach, MC, TA, Marc - you name it.

I don't know what the fans are like in Memphis, and like the 3 Grizz fans up where I am don't seem to be this way, but I see it all the time on here/fb/twitter/reddit whatever. Way too many so-called fans acting like this team is too good for the Gasols, Randolphs, Millers etc. Like we're some sort of legendary franchise with a rich history of winning without them. Same with Raps fans.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:30 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

More than Dwight Howard? 

Marc's way of winning basketball games and being a good teammate is obviously different than your version of it.

JB Bickerstaff basically praised Marc gasols approach and work ethic, so I don't get your beef with him.

Mr. Interim Coach?  Has any coach ever called out Marc?  Has anyone in the media ever called out Marc?

Yeah, my way of winning basketball is that if your team was in the WCFs, you don't take the whole summer off like you won something.  He is always passive-aggressive in the press. All these veiled shots he takes at teammates, coaches and management.

FYI...Dwight Howard is averaging 15/12 on 55%

46 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Mr. Interim Coach?  Has any coach ever called out Marc?  Has anyone in the media ever called out Marc?

Yeah, my way of winning basketball is that if your team was in the WCFs, you don't take the whole summer off like you won something.  He is always passive-aggressive in the press. All these veiled shots he takes at teammates, coaches and management.

( if money is not an issue)

-> would you pull the trigger on Marc for D Howard ? 

On 3/1/2018 at 3:43 PM, Blackwatch said:

He was a part of the success. But, individual awards are suspect. Part of his "All-Star" accolades could be attributed to being voted in as a center, at a time when there were fewer and fewer true centers in the league. Notice now they do not vote "Centers " in anymore, just guards and forwards.

Even his DPOY award was questioned around the league. He was awarded it, but he didn't lead the league in steals or blocks that year.

He was a part of the success, but he never led the team in scoring AND rebounding in any of the years where he and Z-Bo were starters. He led in scoring by about 1 pt. more than Z-Bo in 14-15 and 15-16, but Z-Bo out rebounded him both of those years. Years prior, Z-bo led the team in both categories, after Gay left. even When Fiz took over and the team was in the playoffs, Fiz had to start Z-Bo just to compete with the Spurs, Gasol was MIA. So, my point is that he was never THE primary contributor on those winning teams. He was an important part, but not prime. Teams definitely keyed in on Z-bo later on, giving Gasol more opportunities.   

So now individual awards are suspect.

I'll remember that on the next Mike Conley thread.

Zach Lowe on Marc Gasol: Players know. Talk to rivals about Gasol, and they'll tell you he's even better than you realize.

12 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Isn't pop passive aggressive with the press?

I think Marc is honest with the press about how he feels. 

20 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Who did he bash? If anything he was saying that he's been bad because the team is losing.

Really by saying we have a G-League team, which we do! But say it behind closed doors. LMBO

You make some good points but there is another side.

I'm sure possible injury went into his decision but most fans were relieved that Gasol signed for the max that year because everyone knew the cap would balloon the following year. I suspect he could have made as much if not more by signing a one year deal and then moving on to the highest bidder in a long deal.

The NBA emphasis on scoring killed the core four. It is cruel poetry that TA's Grizzly career was ended by injury from an uncalled screening violation. I loved watching TA and Conley slither around a picks but now moving picks are not just accepted, they are the norm.

The pundits said we were an injury or two away from being one of the worst teams in the league. They were right.