Sign in to follow this  
Blackwatch

Marc Gasol "Frustrated" over Season

49 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

under the circumstances, with the talent level on this roster - agreed

bango, we have a winner

He's not allowed to bash our young players. He didn't come in and just set the world on fire. He had to develop on our team too. 

1 hour ago, f-dizzle said:

He's not allowed to bash our young players. He didn't come in and just set the world on fire. He had to develop on our team too. 

He's not allowed, like he needs permission lol. Who's allowing you to bash him? Pretty sure Gasol has invested more time and work into the team than any of us here combined. He's entitled to speak his mind about the team more than you are.‎

6 hours ago, Allen said:

I called them high level role players years ago and got blasted for it

The development is for the G league comment is one of the main reasons I want Gasol gone though. I dont want him anywhere near our lottery pick or any other young guy we have high hopes for. Dudes toxic for a rebuild

Toxic?  I didn't know wanting to win was being toxic,     ...but I guess maybe so when everyone seems to want a loser.

2 hours ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Sounds like another cheap shot at his teammates. 

Marc is deferring to these young players on the regular so shut the f up.

I'm "frustrated" that gasol is still here.  I hope this is his last year.  Dude is a loser.   The grizz won't move forward until he is gone.  He is holding the team back.

BS

1 hour ago, f-dizzle said:

He's 33, not 43. He could still put up 20 pgg easily if he didn't just hoist up perimeter shots and shy away from contact. I'm not giving him a pass because of his negative comments. Where's the rebounding? Where's the assists? He wants lead by example? Where's the leadership? 

What negative comments?  Is he supposed to say he likes losing?  Crazy

8 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Well,

Marc Gasol says he's "frustrated" because the Grizz are not winning this year. Yet, he has also posted some of the worst stats of his career in the process. In this article from Yahoo, Gasol says that while he tries to be encouraging to the young players and lead by example, he doesn't think the NBA is a place for teams to develop players. "That's why we have a G-league team here in Memphis. This is the NBA, not the G-League".

I for one find it quite interesting that Gasol is frustrated over the tanking season while many on here have been calling for this for the past 2 or 3 years. Letting Z-Bo and TA walk was a recipe for disaster. Now we are in the midst of that very disaster, with no real plan for a turnaround in sight.  In Pro sports, winning and winning now, and winning often must be the conceptual framework for running a franchise. If you have to "tank" in order to get better, that is a sign of inept management. In a market like Memphis, there are not enough people with the money needed to support a team with no shot at winning each and every night. That  is what we have right now in the Grizz. This can't happen too much longer here, or the team will be the Seattle or San Jose Grizzlies in a few years.

You recklessly misquoted gasol.

He said he is frustrated and winning is what it is about. You could paraphrase the last part by saying there are no moral victory, such as this: "well, we are developing harrison, or brooks is playing well, or anything like that. That in the nba all that matters is wins and loses. And he is right.

Your hate for gasol has you grabbing at anything you can to sully him. Even bickerstaff in the first part of the article was praising gasol and his work ethic to get better.

Just stop.  

Need to try to get another 1st round pick. I’ve been watching Jontay Porter killin it. Dude literally is supposed to be a senior in high school.  

55 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

What negative comments?  Is he supposed to say he likes losing?  Crazy

If he did say that, people on here would complain that he is too comfortable losing.

This is why in bad years, you want to be injured.  If you play and you are part of a losing team, you can never be right.

14 hours ago, Allen said:

I called them high level role players years ago and got blasted for it

The development is for the G league comment is one of the main reasons I want Gasol gone though. I dont want him anywhere near our lottery pick or any other young guy we have high hopes for. Dudes toxic for a rebuild

This

10 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

He said he is frustrated and winning is what it is about. You could paraphrase the last part by saying there are no moral victory, such as this: "well, we are developing harrison, or brooks is playing well, or anything like that. That in the nba all that matters is wins and loses. And he is right.

Your hate for gasol has you grabbing at anything you can to sully him. Even bickerstaff in the first part of the article was praising gasol and his work ethic to get better.

Just stop.  

Agreed- The Gasol hate is ridiculous. We are no where near a top market for recruiting talent, and he has committed pretty much his entire career to this city (as has Conley). And we had a record 8 straight playoff appearances. I miss the days when a class act would give their entire career to a town they believed in. 

Major corporations in this town struggle to get Talent to move to Memphis. I am not hating on Memphis, I love this town, but we have lots of opportunity to improve as a city. Hating on the guy or guys who help bring us together is just annoying. 

We all want to put this season in the rear view, and get excited about a top 5 pick and a new season. 

12 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

Agreed- The Gasol hate is ridiculous. We are no where near a top market for recruiting talent, and he has committed pretty much his entire career to this city (as has Conley). And we had a record 8 straight playoff appearances. I miss the days when a class act would give their entire career to a town they believed in. 

Major corporations in this town struggle to get Talent to move to Memphis. I am not hating on Memphis, I love this town, but we have lots of opportunity to improve as a city. Hating on the guy or guys who help bring us together is just annoying. 

We all want to put this season in the rear view, and get excited about a top 5 pick and a new season. 

Excellent post.

14 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

100 posts rule!!!

I mean, great post. Thanks for that.

10 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Just stop.  

Read the article again. The only quote I had from him was his quote about the G-league and the NBA. He actually said that. Look at the video if you don't want to read the article.

The sad thing is the Gasol love that people in the organization have. His production doesn't warrant that, never has, never will. he is a great player, but he can't carry a team leadership or skill set -wise. To build a team around him is short sighted.

16 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Read the article again. The only quote I had from him was his quote about the G-league and the NBA. He actually said that. Look at the video if you don't want to read the article.

The sad thing is the Gasol love that people in the organization have. His production doesn't warrant that, never has, never will. he is a great player, but he can't carry a team leadership or skill set -wise. To build a team around him is short sighted.

The sad thing is you seem to think the Grizzlies are too good for Gasol. Lemme ask you something, what accolades, team or individual, has this pitful franchise achieved that doesn't involve Gasol?

marc doesn't have the athleticism to be a big time scorer and rebounder.

he should be putting up huge numbers on this team 

28 minutes ago, cdp said:

The sad thing is you seem to think the Grizzlies are too good for Gasol. Lemme ask you something, what accolades, team or individual, has this pitful franchise achieved that doesn't involve Gasol?

Gasol was part of any success the Grizz have had. But the word "part" is the key. Gasol alone did not, could not, and has not meant success for the Grizz. Gasol has been PART of a team that always had someone else scoring more, rebounding more, and defending more. He contributed, and contributed well, to the success of the team. By no means was he the main reason why the team was successful. Many people around Memphis may have wanted to paint the picture as such, but folks who truly knew basketball and followed the team knew how the bread was buttered. And it wasn't by Gasol alone. 

To let the better contributors walk for nothing in return, then proclaim that Gasol (and Conley) are the foundation for the future was just asinine.

55 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

You said that Gasol said that while he tries to encourage the young players and lead by example, and then you add the quote about the G league and everything else.

Gasol never connected those two ideas you just made that up in your head.

The implication being that he shouldn't be the one helping younger player develop and that's for the G League.

25 minutes ago, guillermo said:

marc doesn't have the athleticism to be a big time scorer and rebounder.

he should be putting up huge numbers on this team 

Nor does he have the skill set to do anything but what he is currently (and always) doing. He's a big man who, when hot, can hit from outside, with a 3 pt shot in some instances. His size would dictate that he should do more on the low block, but he doesn't have the game for that, and he doesn't want to develop his skills to do that. He is not Dirk shooting wise, so his game is quite limited, and it negates his size. Thus you see a season where he should be getting 25 and 10 at a minimum, and he is averaging 17 and 8, which is what he has always done, and about the best he can do. Great complementary numbers, horrible foundational numbers. And the Grizz are now 18-43. Where all this mega-love for Gasol is coming from I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Nor does he have the skill set to do anything but what he is currently (and always) doing. He's a big man who, when hot, can hit from outside, with a 3 pt shot in some instances. His size would dictate that he should do more on the low block, but he doesn't have the game for that, and he doesn't want to develop his skills to do that. He is not Dirk shooting wise, so his game is quite limited, and it negates his size. Thus you see a season where he should be getting 25 and 10 at a minimum, and he is averaging 17 and 8, which is what he has always done, and about the best he can do. Great complementary numbers, horrible foundational numbers. And the Grizz are now 18-43. Where all this mega-love for Gasol is coming from I have no idea.

Lol, Dirk is probably the greatest shooting big man who's ever played the NBA and that includes the rant or whoever else you want to put up there. I think you're expectations for Gasol are a little bit out there if he has to be Dirk Nowitzki in order for you to approve of him

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You said that Gasol said that while he tries to encourage the young players and lead by example, and then you add the quote about the G league and everything else.

Gasol never connected those two ideas you just made that up in your head.

The implication being that he shouldn't be the one helping younger player develop and that's for the G League.

The whole point of the article was Gasol's frustrations over losing. He is trying to lead, but is frustrated that the other players are "developing" while they should be developed enough to help the team win. Thus, his quote about the G-League and the NBA.

I didn't make it up, Gasol connects winning and losing with having to play with "developing" players, hence his frustration. If he didn't connect those ideas, why even bring up the G-league? 

8 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Lol, Dirk is probably the greatest shooting big man who's ever played the NBA and that includes the rant or whoever else you want to put up there. I think you're expectations for Gasol are a little bit out there if he has to be Dirk Nowitzki in order for you to approve of him

I don't expect him to be Dirk, but the front office apparently does, thus they want to build around him. That is my critique of the team, why build around a complementary player? All Gasol has ever been is a good to great complementary player. Yet, the FO treats him like he's Dirk. This is detrimental because they make decisions about players, coaches, etc. based on Gasol, and that is where I plead inept management.

Personally, I respect Gasol for what he has done to help create a culture around the Grizz that the city has embraced, but in order for the team to win on a consistent and high level, no way should they be firing coaches and trading players to suit him. He hasn't done enough on the court to warrant that type of treatment.  

Anyone that said Gasol was better than Boogie Cousins (lol) and others now see whats what. He was covered up by having a team hide his weaknesses. Put him on a team like the ones Boogie put up all star stats on for years and he cant even sniff his jock strap.

2 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

The whole point of the article was Gasol's frustrations over losing. He is trying to lead, but is frustrated that the other players are "developing" while they should be developed enough to help the team win. Thus, his quote about the G-League and the NBA.

I didn't make it up, Gasol connects winning and losing with having to play with "developing" players, hence his frustration. If he didn't connect those ideas, why even bring up the G-league? 

Gasol says that the NBA is about wins and losses. As opposed to a team with the sole purpose of develop players or individual stats.

He is not frustrated with having to play with rookies. You misunderstand.

And to his original point he's right. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Anyone that said Gasol was better than Boogie Cousins (lol) and others now see whats what. He was covered up by having a team hide his weaknesses. Put him on a team like the ones Boogie put up all star stats on for years and he cant even sniff his jock strap.

I think the fact that teams focus solely on the gasol and nobody else on our team now that Zach Randolph and others are gone is the reason why his stats are down. Not because he somehow lesser of a player

16 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

everybody else must be happy with being mediocre or happy getting their paychecks

Agree re Marc, but why wouldn't the others be happy? They should not be kidding themselves that they are superstars who just haven't had a chance to shine, and they aren't doing that. It has to be "this is the only situation that could get me this many minutes on the court, so it has to help me."  Except Mario, maybe, and who knows what they have asked him to do - except I'll bet he's been told not to have any hot-shooting nights (which is increasingly less likely anyway) .