Sign in to follow this  
Blackwatch

Marc Gasol "Frustrated" over Season

Well,

Marc Gasol says he's "frustrated" because the Grizz are not winning this year. Yet, he has also posted some of the worst stats of his career in the process. In this article from Yahoo, Gasol says that while he tries to be encouraging to the young players and lead by example, he doesn't think the NBA is a place for teams to develop players. "That's why we have a G-league team here in Memphis. This is the NBA, not the G-League".

I for one find it quite interesting that Gasol is frustrated over the tanking season while many on here have been calling for this for the past 2 or 3 years. Letting Z-Bo and TA walk was a recipe for disaster. Now we are in the midst of that very disaster, with no real plan for a turnaround in sight.  In Pro sports, winning and winning now, and winning often must be the conceptual framework for running a franchise. If you have to "tank" in order to get better, that is a sign of inept management. In a market like Memphis, there are not enough people with the money needed to support a team with no shot at winning each and every night. That  is what we have right now in the Grizz. This can't happen too much longer here, or the team will be the Seattle or San Jose Grizzlies in a few years.

Welcome to the club Marc. We're all frustrated over this season. The sooner it's over, the better.

Marc's stats are reflective of the team with no Conley, no Zbo, Peg-Leg Parsons cant play and is done, with Reke the only one left with NBA starter talent.

6 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Marc's stats are reflective of the team with no Conley, no Zbo, Peg-Leg Parsons cant play and is done, with Reke the only one left with NBA starter talent.

Gasol's stats are reflective of the fact that he needs Alpha players to run with in order to be truly effective. No way should this franchise be making long or even short term decisions about players, coaching, or drafting and trading with Gasol as a foundation of the team. He is not a piece to build around. This year has made that painfully obvious if it wasn't before.

9 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Gasol's stats are reflective of the fact that he needs Alpha players to run with in order to be truly effective. No way should this franchise be making long or even short term decisions about players, coaching, or drafting and trading with Gasol as a foundation of the team. He is not a piece to build around. This year has made that painfully obvious if it wasn't before.

Exactly. He was put in a position whete he had to lead. And hes failing miserably. He's the only one that really displays negativaty. 

5 minutes ago, guillermo said:

marc would be good 3-4th option like back in Hollin's years. 

Marc and Mike (if healthy) would be really good 3rd and 4th options on a championship contender.

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

Marc and Mike (if healthy) would be really good 3rd and 4th options on a championship contender.

I agree.  Put a stud PF and wing shooter (like Brow Davis and Clay Thompson) on this team we could be championship material. 

I called them high level role players years ago and got blasted for it

The development is for the G league comment is one of the main reasons I want Gasol gone though. I dont want him anywhere near our lottery pick or any other young guy we have high hopes for. Dudes toxic for a rebuild

I'm just ready to see a Memphis Grizzlies team that doesn't have a Gasol brother on the roster.

37 minutes ago, Allen said:

I called them high level role players years ago and got blasted for it

The development is for the G league comment is one of the main reasons I want Gasol gone though. I dont want him anywhere near our lottery pick or any other young guy we have high hopes for

If the G-League teams ran the same sets as the NBA teams, then perhaps the experience would be more developmental. I can remember an interview on NBA TV a few years back from a NBA player who had transitioned from the then D-League. He noted that the game in the NBA was vastly different, especially forma  standpoint of defensive rotations. In fact I think his exact quote was that they did not rotate on defense at all in the D-league, strictly man to man or double teams and scramble D. I often wondered then how useful was it to have a D-league if it wouldn't prepare the players for the NBA game. So in that sense, Gasol has a point, the G-League should do a better job in preparing players for the NBA. So long as how the games are played are so different, then I do not see how the G-league can play a  useful role in developing players for the NBA game.

But from a perspective of developing players in the NBA, Gasol is definitely being short sighted here. The only way these players will get better is with reps. But, there are ways to bring young players along without tanking seasons. But that involves having good players who start and play the most rotation minutes. The Grizz let most of those players go last summer for nothing in return.

I'd be ticked too. He didn't sign up for this sh!t. He's got 2 maybe 3 effective years left as a starting level guy. He wants to win a championship and at the rate we're goin that's not gonna happen for Memphis durin his career.

after watching and playing sports for over 40 plus years nothing surprise me any more

Reporter: "What's your level of frustration?"

Gasol: "Nah, I'm fine. We're cruising for a high pick and the kids are getting reps. What's not to like?"

Yeah, that would have gone well.

3 hours ago, tjazz22 said:

Exactly. He was put in a position whete he had to lead. And hes failing miserably. He's the only one that really displays negativaty. 

So it has been "well known" for a "long time" (and the opinion of multiple members here on the boards) that Marc is not an Alpha dog, and he's a 3rd or 4th "role player" yet he was asked to exactly that, and when it didn't work out, its Marc failing? What kind of logic is that? That's  what I call a "stitch up"

The REAL reason, aside from injury, aside for ditching experienced veteran NBA talent for no return, is that the roster sux

I also put it to you that if "Marc is the ONLY one displaying nagativity, maybe because he's the only one who gives a dang, everybody else must be happy with being mediocre or happy getting their paychecks

16 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

Instead of sulking, carry your team like Anthony Davis and then you complain.

You can’t be serious. Marc’s gotta drop 50, 18, and 3 in order to complain? He’s 33. He’s played hard for this franchise his whole career. He’s allowed to be frustrated.

I am not one that is ready to move on from Gasol, but I can see why some people would want that. I feel sorry for the center that replaces him though, because I don’t see him stacking up to Big Spain.

1 hour ago, The Stro Show said:

I feel like he’s been handling this season pretty well.

under the circumstances, with the talent level on this roster - agreed

2 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

You can’t be serious. Marc’s gotta drop 50, 18, and 3 in order to complain? He’s 33. He’s played hard for this franchise his whole career. He’s allowed to be frustrated.

I am not one that is ready to move on from Gasol, but I can see why some people would want that. I feel sorry for the center that replaces him though, because I don’t see him stacking up to Big Spain.

bango, we have a winner

Sounds like another cheap shot at his teammates. 

Marc is deferring to these young players on the regular so shut the f up.

I'm "frustrated" that gasol is still here.  I hope this is his last year.  Dude is a loser.   The grizz won't move forward until he is gone.  He is holding the team back.

If aggravates the f out of me watching marc boss everyone around on what they did wrong.   Gasol isn't even that good.  I'm just waiting for one of those young players to snap back at him.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

So it has been "well known" for a "long time" (and the opinion of multiple members here on the boards) that Marc is not an Alpha dog, and he's a 3rd or 4th "role player" yet he was asked to exactly that, and when it didn't work out, its Marc failing? What kind of logic is that? That's  what I call a "stitch up"

The REAL reason, aside from injury, aside for ditching experienced veteran NBA talent for no return, is that the roster sux

I also put it to you that if "Marc is the ONLY one displaying nagativity, maybe because he's the only one who gives a dang, everybody else must be happy with being mediocre or happy getting their paychecks

He's 33, not 43. He could still put up 20 pgg easily if he didn't just hoist up perimeter shots and shy away from contact. I'm not giving him a pass because of his negative comments. Where's the rebounding? Where's the assists? He wants lead by example? Where's the leadership? 

15 minutes ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Sounds like another cheap shot at his teammates. 

Marc is deferring to these young players on the regular so shut the f up.

I'm "frustrated" that gasol is still here.  I hope this is his last year.  Dude is a loser.   The grizz won't move forward until he is gone.  He is holding the team back.

If the most successful individual player in franchise history is a loser, that doesn't say very good things about the team itself.