bhoyal

Trading one for 2 on draft picks

Looking at some of the mock draft sites (yes I know there is a draft thread, but this is a different kind of take)... if the Grizz end up with a pick around #6 and the Clips were desperate for whoever was available at 6, they are projected to have #12 and 14.  Would it reduce the odds of a bust by having two picks instead of one?  The odds are against two guys both blowing out an ACL or an Achilles tendon, right?

Or will one in the hand be safer than 2 in the shrubs?

56 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Looking at some of the mock draft sites (yes I know there is a draft thread, but this is a different kind of take)... if the Grizz end up with a pick around #6 and the Clips were desperate for whoever was available at 6, they are projected to have #12 and 14.  Would it reduce the odds of a bust by having two picks instead of one?  The odds are against two guys both blowing out an ACL or an Achilles tendon, right?

Or will one in the hand be safer than 2 in the shrubs?

Im cool with the idea but 6 to 12 is too far.  Usually teams dont trade down that many spots in the lottery unless the draft is trash. Remember Tractor Traylor (RIP) at 6 for Dirk at 9 + Pat Garrity at 19? 

You're giving up the chance to draft one of the blue chip talents in the draft to get one of the Bridges and a pick that will occur right when the draft completely falls off. That would be the worst possible way to handle this draft pick.

12 hours ago, Thomas said:

You're giving up the chance to draft one of the blue chip talents in the draft to get one of the Bridges and a pick that will occur right when the draft completely falls off. That would be the worst possible way to handle this draft pick.

This........

15 hours ago, Thomas said:

So pretty much the current M.O. for this team's front office? Great. Makes me think it is more likely than not. :rolleyes:

This type of move makes sense in a sport like football but in basketball one great player makes a bigger impact than two good players. Would you rather have Kevin Durant or Mike Conley and Marc Gasol?

I think the real question is "would we rather have Wendell Carter than a 12th-pick-ish point guard AND big man."

Durant is not going to be in this year's draft.

If Carter can hit 48% from NBA three like he is doing from college three?  I'd be all in with drafting Carter.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

In the NFL, yes.  In the NBA, no.

This team has plenty of young borderline NBA players on it, especially with 2 more 2nd round picks next year.

Selden, Brooks, Davis... all have the talent to emerge from scrubs to solid NBA player status.  Simmons, I don't have a ton of faith in.  Rabb needs to work on that upper body and arms.  Myke Henry?  Just haven't seen enough to know.  Same with that Brice Johnson guy... seems like nobody wants to hang on to the guy.

This will be the most important draft pick coming up in franchise history.   

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

I think the real question is "would we rather have Wendell Carter than a 12th-pick-ish point guard AND big man."

Durant is not going to be in this year's draft.

If Carter can hit 48% from NBA three like he is doing from college three?  I'd be all in with drafting Carter.

Carter is not in my top 6 at all. So i guess it depends upon how you see the draft unfolding.

i would be more inclined to move from 2-4 back to 5-7 to pick up another FUTURE pick.

10 hours ago, guillermo said:

don't trade down and plz FO, just pick best player available

its an uncontested layup - don't blow it

I predict we will blow it by winning too much. Our schedule is W E A K from here on. We have Tyreke playing for a contract. J.B. coaching for a job. Gasol is good. We will beat the other bottom dwellers coming up and end up around 8. Smh

What we need mostly is a guy who is ready to PLAY. Your chances of success are greatly reduced if you arent good enough to warrant rotation minutes from the beginning. I am hoping we dont pick a project who isnt good based on "upside" or whatever. Just a NBA ready guy even if he isnt a future superstar.

12 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

I predict we will blow it by winning too much. Our schedule is W E A K from here on. We have Tyreke playing for a contract. J.B. coaching for a job. Gasol is good. We will beat the other bottom dwellers coming up and end up around 8. Smh

I don't think so

5-6

14 hours ago, Dwash said:

What we need mostly is a guy who is ready to PLAY. Your chances of success are greatly reduced if you arent good enough to warrant rotation minutes from the beginning. I am hoping we dont pick a project who isnt good based on "upside" or whatever. Just a NBA ready guy even if he isnt a future superstar.

Also up to the GM to move the guys in the way that play the same position.    As we have seen repeatedly - Coaches will play more experienced players if given a choice.   If we pickup a PF then JaM needs to go. 

44 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Also up to the GM to move the guys in the way that play the same position.    As we have seen repeatedly - Coaches will play more experienced players if given a choice.   If we pickup a PF then JaM needs to go. 

Well what if we get a C or pg?

There are now 7 guys in the consensus Tier 1 draft picks according to most - 

assuming Conley and Gasol are part of the future, FOUR of those 7 are likely draft candidates for the Grizz

Jackson Jr, Bagley, Porter, Doncic

20 hours ago, Dwash said:

I disagree vehemently. Pick the player you think will be the best NBA player, even if he won't be the best rookie.

8 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

And Parsons