Grizzled Vet

The 2018 Free Agents

Y'all need to stop with Avery Bradley crap. The more research I do, the more it shows he is more reputation than substance. Who has an answer for those shooting percentages I posted?

I am not a big Bradley fan and I don’t think a Conley/Bradley backcourt would be that great. However, I could see the front office going after a player like that.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:00 PM, lsugrizzfan said:

So I went to NBA.com and looked up opponents shooting percentages against Avery Bradley. The website breaks down the shooting percentages into ranges: less than 5 feet, 5-9 feet, 10-14 feet, 15-19 feet, 20-24 feet, 25-29 feet. I've included a couple of defensive stalwarts as people to compare Bradley to- Ben McLemore and Damian Lillard (sarcasm intended)

Bradley: 63.2%, 40%, 44.1%, 41.4%, 39.7%, 38%

McLemore: 60.7%, 36.6%, 41.6%, 36.1%, 36.6%, 36.9%

Lillard: 55.6%, 44.6%, 41.9%, 42.6%, 39.5%, 36.1%

I think extremely low of McLemore, but maybe I shouldn't. After all, he is holding opponents to a lower shooting percentage in every range than Bradley. So I moved on to Lillard because every one always screams "Conley is better than Lillard because Lillard can't play defense." And Lillard's percentages are eerily similar to Bradley's. So either Lillard is an all NBA defender now or maybe Bradley is overrated and overhyped.

I thought I was done with this, then I thought of your response: But Bradley always has to guard the best guys on the other team. Of course they are going to shoot higher percentages. So I decided to look at some guys who always take on the top perimeter threat from the other team- Andre Roberson, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson.

Roberson: 62.5%, 39.6%, 37.6%, 30.8%, 39.3%, 28.7%

Butler: 64.9%, 37.3%, 38.6%, 38.6%, 36.2%, 35.7%

Thompson: 60.1%, 33.7%, 35%, 39.8%, 34%, 36.4%

Ouch! Wow, Bradley loses every category except less than 5 feet against Jimmy Butler. So please forgive me if I just don't believe in Bradley.

Bradley had 1 good year that he was a top 5 defender. Now he is average at best.

So if Bradley were on the team right now would he not be the best 2 guard option outside of Reke. 

We better swing for the most impactful players and by the way deals are being made or better yet not made we need guys who can contribute immediately 

I'm not sure he is better than what Selden or Brooks will continue to become. He might be. And I'd be all for Bradley at a price of $4-6 million, but that isn't happening. I also don't care if Brooks and Selden are worse than Bradley if we have to pay Bradley $10+ million a year. 

On 2/22/2018 at 8:31 AM, lsugrizzfan said:

I'm not sure he is better than what Selden or Brooks will continue to become. He might be. And I'd be all for Bradley at a price of $4-6 million, but that isn't happening. I also don't care if Brooks and Selden are worse than Bradley if we have to pay Bradley $10+ million a year. 

Speaking of Selden, what is he going to become?

He's injured more often then Parsons it seems, and probably leads the league in techs per game played.

Grizzlies need to make a decision on him by July 10th on whether to guarantee his contract or not.

12 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

He's injured more often then Parsons it seems, and probably leads the league in techs per game played.

Grizzlies need to make a decision on him by July 10th on whether to guarantee his contract or not.

He is ok but not a sure fire keeper.

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

At best a solid role player. I don’t understand the logic of putting so much time and effort into developing a bunch  2nd round and undrafted players 

1 hour ago, The Stro Show said:

Well considering it’s only 1.5 mill, I’d pick it up. Especially since we don’t have a ton of money to throw around.

Of that $1.5, he's already getting half of it. After July 10, he's guaranteed the other half.

It's really a roster spot and minimum deal type of guy as the option.

5 hours ago, Allen said:

At best a solid role player. I don’t understand the logic of putting so much time and effort into developing a bunch  2nd round and undrafted players 

Because that's all we have and we better find someone useful in the bunch.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:13 PM, Allen said:

Because our hands are tied salary cap wise, we have very few assets to trade for better players, and we haven't developed any of our past draft picks- essentially, it's the best option we have at this time, which is depressing.

I'd pick up his option too. Grizzlies are handcuffed financially.

Right now if they keep the same team, there will be 4 spots to fill. We know 1 will be top draft pick, we can assume Kobi will get the 3rd string spot at PG, we can also assume maybe Reke or even Will Barton with MLE, which leaves them with 1 spot.

Anything can happen draft night so who knows. I wouldln't be surprised to see them try to move JaM then to try and free up some money.

Just hear me out.

One free agent I wouldn't mind them signing this offseason is Tony Allen. With his desire to return to Memphis, they could get him on a vet minimum 2 year deal. Probably 1+1 with team option.

Reasoning: Young teams need vets around them to teach them how to win. This is why teams like Phoenix and Sixers that sit in lottery every year lose with tons of talent. It is the same thing last time Tony joined the team. Even if he doesn't play major minutes, his presence and focused mindset should be a major help to the team both on court and in the locker room. PLUS, the Grizzlies are strapped financially. They will probably have to offer the full MLE to nab Reke or someone like Will Barton. Which leaves little room filling out the roster after signing a top draft player too.

Marc also mentioned how difficult it was not having Tony out there with him. The team is dead set keeping Marc so this would be a very small move to appease him as well.

Tony can't play at the same speed anymore but his defensive mentality and focus hasn't changed. That alone for young players like Brooks, Selden, Simmons, and the draft pick is worth it.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:34 AM, MEM GRYZ said:

NERLENS.png

If he's super cheap, I'd give it a chance. I'm not even giving him any money though. He'd have to come super super cheap.

18 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

Just hear me out.

One free agent I wouldn't mind them signing this offseason is Tony Allen. With his desire to return to Memphis, they could get him on a vet minimum 2 year deal. Probably 1+1 with team option.

Reasoning: Young teams need vets around them to teach them how to win. This is why teams like Phoenix and Sixers that sit in lottery every year lose with tons of talent. It is the same thing last time Tony joined the team. Even if he doesn't play major minutes, his presence and focused mindset should be a major help to the team both on court and in the locker room. PLUS, the Grizzlies are strapped financially. They will probably have to offer the full MLE to nab Reke or someone like Will Barton. Which leaves little room filling out the roster after signing a top draft player too.

Marc also mentioned how difficult it was not having Tony out there with him. The team is dead set keeping Marc so this would be a very small move to appease him as well.

Tony can't play at the same speed anymore but his defensive mentality and focus hasn't changed. That alone for young players like Brooks, Selden, Simmons, and the draft pick is worth it.

Depends....if Tony is like he was the last time he was here, expecting to start and play big minutes, then no. Tony hadn't accepted that the game has passed him by. Maybe a rough year in New Orleans has changed his mindset. But Tony sulking over not starting or playing big minutes isn't what the team needs.

Just now, lsugrizzfan said:

If he's super cheap, I'd give it a chance. I'm not even giving him any money though. He'd have to come super super cheap.

Depends....if Tony is like he was the last time he was here, expecting to start and play big minutes, then no. Tony hadn't accepted that the game has passed him by. Maybe a rough year in New Orleans has changed his mindset. But Tony sulking over not starting or playing big minutes isn't what the team needs.

I agree on Tony. I would be blunt in the meeting and say it will be a limited minutes bench role. After the year removed playing for the Pelicans, I think he would accept.

Also it would be a great PR move for the team bringing him back. After the cluster that is this season, this would be a good step when selling to the season ticket holders and getting butts in seats.

TA should definitely be on our list of free agent options. Prolly would've been ready to accept a lesser role this year. I think when it's all said n done tho, both TA n Zbo will retire as grizzlies. Whether it's a one day contract or not.

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

A 2nd unit with Tyreke and TA would be a nightmare for most teams.

This would be my nightmare. TA would have to be a spot minute guy, not a rotation guy, for me to think it was a good signing. 

20 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I'd be ecstatic if we brought back TA in the right role. A 2nd unit with Tyreke and TA would be a nightmare for most teams.

TA would kill the spacing Tyreke needs to get to the hoop.     At this point in his career he would be contributing more to the injury report than he would to team wins.    

Time to move on and just let his jersey hang from the rafters. 

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

TA would kill the spacing Tyreke needs to get to the hoop.     At this point in his career he would be contributing more to the injury report than he would to team wins.    

Time to move on and just let his jersey hang from the rafters. 

I don't know about that, just stick TA in a corner and let Reke do his thing. It's not like opposing 2nd unit defenses are going to pack the paint.

But yeah, this is a bit of a sci-fi scenario.

I view him as being more valuable as a spot minute veteran presence teaching the young guys than him being a minutes heavy lock down defender.

15 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I view him as being more valuable as a spot minute veteran presence teaching the young guys how to deal with teammates' gambling debts than him being a minutes heavy lock down defender.

Fixed. :P

1 hour ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I view him as being more valuable as a spot minute veteran presence teaching the young guys than him being a minutes heavy lock down defender.

TA hasn't shown that he is interested in mentoring young guys - his entire stint here.   That's fan rational and wishful thinking.   Mike, Tayshaun, and Vince are the only guys i have heard young players give any type of development credit to.    That's no knock on the other guys because everyone isn't built to be a mentor.