10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I say No until Lil OJ finishes his 100 reasons list. I believe we're owed at least 80 more...

I see what you did there !

🤪😜😝

those were some interesting days!

I''m not sure if he was released because he believes he will be admitted to the NBA or because he has taken a significant step back, but his Puerto Rican team released him and brought in another player (Jeremiah Wilson).

Wonder if he'll show up on a summer league team?

OJ Mayo has been released by Puerto Rican team Atleticos de San German. The former NBA player averaged 13.4 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 21 games played.

I’m assuming he requested his release. Signing OJ would be a classic Chris Wallace move

46 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’m assuming he requested his release. Signing OJ would be a classic Chris Wallace move

Using Avery Bradley and Will Barton as a smoke screen, the sly old fox swoops in with a combo of Mayo and Calathes, right under everyone's noses.

Mayo started 18 of his 21 appearances with the team, though had his fair share of struggles, shooting just 39.0 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from beyond the arc. He also averaged 13.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals. At 30 years old, he's still young enough to theoretically make an NBA comeback, but his performance with Atleticos de San German doesn't suggest any team will want to take the risk.

7 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Mayo started 18 of his 21 appearances with the team, though had his fair share of struggles, shooting just 39.0 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from beyond the arc. He also averaged 13.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals. At 30 years old, he's still young enough to theoretically make an NBA comeback, but his performance with Atleticos de San German doesn't suggest any team will want to take the risk.

The caveat is I really don't want Avery Bradley.   LOL. 

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

The caveat is I really don't want Avery Bradley.   LOL. 

I'm not impressed with him either.

Undersized and overrated.

Which means CW will give him the full MLE.

I'd rather have Marcus Smart.

47 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Using Avery Bradley and Will Barton as a smoke screen, the sly old fox swoops in with a combo of Mayo and Calathes, right under everyone's noses.

Dang it, I actually WANT Nick Calathes!  Gimme him and DJ Stephens.  

I am gonna run TWO point guards (Conley and Calathes aka the C And C Machine) with TWO bigs inside (Marc And JJJ) with DJ Stephens playing the Freak Forward spot as our fifth option (but number ONE in our hearts).

Off the bench: Jevon Carter, the Brooks Brothers (or Brady Heslip), Parsons, and either DD or Rabb at the 5.

If we want a free agent gunner, I wouldn't mind buying low on Jamal Crawford.  

19 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I'd rather have Marcus Smart.

How much do you think he will be paid?

Since our offense is on pace to score 75 a night next season, I would ASSUME we would like to hold teams to 74 points (or below) a night.

Smart would help on both counts -- can defend/can't score.

33 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Dang it, I actually WANT Nick Calathes!  Gimme him and DJ Stephens.  

I am gonna run TWO point guards (Conley and Calathes aka the C And C Machine) with TWO bigs inside (Marc And JJJ) with DJ Stephens playing the Freak Forward spot as our fifth option (but number ONE in our hearts).

Off the bench: Jevon Carter, the Brooks Brothers (or Brady Heslip), Parsons, and either DD or Rabb at the 5.

If we want a free agent gunner, I wouldn't mind buying low on Jamal Crawford.  

If you had gone with C+C Factory instead of Machine, I'd be all for it, especially if it meant "Gonna Make You Sweat" would be played 2-4 times a game.

I to would rather have some flexibility vs. Avery Bradley and even less flexibility.

26 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If you had gone with C+C Factory instead of Machine, I'd be all for it, especially if it meant "Gonna Make You Sweat" would be played 2-4 times a game.

I to would rather have some flexibility vs. Avery Bradley and even less flexibility.

Yeah, the guys at the top of the free agent market (or guys we could actually have a chance with) look like sucker bets.

I would rather Moneyball it with Thabo, DJ Stephens, Nick Calathes, and maybe Brady Heslip (or an extra shooter who catches fire in summer league).  

If Thabo/Calathes/DJ can't get it done on the cheap, then I don't think an overpaid Avery Bradley, Jamal Crawford, or Rudy Gay will either.  And, Tyreke Evans makes Pistol Pete look like Bill Russell as far as winning goes.

I wanna give the extra shots to the young guys.

Who else wanna come to Memphis?  The team and fan should be happy to get anybody who is an upgrade over Chandler Parson

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd rather have Mayo over Avery Bradley.  At least i know he can drop 30 on any given night. 

Maybe ten years ago...

12 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

i just think u should invite him to training camp, if he outplays Marshon or Selden, sign him

Marshon outplayed Mayo this past season when you consider Mayo averaged 13.4 ppg against Puerto Rica league competition, and Marshon averaged 20 ppg against NBA competition (30 against Chinese competition).

It's not like either was playing on a team chasing the title either.  

Maybe OJ was dogging it, but maybe he sat around a bunch while suspended, realized how much he missed the NBA lifestyle, and got back to work but has lost some of what he had.  He's almost 31, and most likely done as a contributor in the league unless he does some stint like Marshon did and realize how much he had to work to get back.  I think OJ's playing overseas next year.

30 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Marshon outplayed Mayo this past season when you consider Mayo averaged 13.4 ppg against Puerto Rica league competition, and Marshon averaged 20 ppg against NBA competition (30 against Chinese competition).

It's not like either was playing on a team chasing the title either.  

Maybe OJ was dogging it, but maybe he sat around a bunch while suspended, realized how much he missed the NBA lifestyle, and got back to work but has lost some of what he had.  He's almost 31, and most likely done as a contributor in the league unless he does some stint like Marshon did and realize how much he had to work to get back.  I think OJ's playing overseas next year.

I like MarShon. I know the sample size is small and the games weren't THAT competitive, but dude is still young, has size and talent and can get buckets. At worst, he's instant offense off the bench with the second unit.

2 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I like MarShon. I know the sample size is small and the games weren't THAT competitive, but dude is still young, has size and talent and can get buckets. At worst, he's instant offense off the bench with the second unit.

....on a minimum contract.

22 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

29 isn’t young

21 minutes ago, Allen said:

29 isn’t young

it is to me! 😅

In reading a Vice article on OJ Mayo from 2016 (pre ban), I thought this was a pretty good paragraph:

His greatest contribution to the NBA's arc is being a central character in a morality play. In a story that Aaron Sorkin wouldn't dare to dream, gritty underdog Tony Allen kicked OJ "Silver Spoon" Mayo's *** on an airplane due to unpaid gambling debts and stole his spot in the starting lineup, and later became the unlikely object of adoration for a fanbase crazy for their resurgent and gritty working class bears. It was a victory for the people. OJ Mayo, a guy Michael Jordan himself described as "the best high school player" in the country, slunk away, denied his great moment. He became a supporting character in a failed spin-off about a more interesting supporting character. It was not supposed to be like this.

3 hours ago, Memphisyank said:

Does anyone own Mayo's rights? I don't really remember

Hellman's?

Anyway, no to any thoughts of signing OJ Mayo, just no.