Dwash

Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?

Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tyreke play for the Grizzlies again this year?

• Yes
    • No

We shouldn't play him, therefore he should be waived. He will NOT be happy if we just sit him in a contract year. 

Should've just taken the 2nd round picks or Mudiay and a 2nd. 

13 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

We shouldn't play him, therefore he should be waived. He will NOT be happy if we just sit him in a contract year. 

Should've just taken the 2nd round picks or Mudiay and a 2nd. 

+10000 All of this.   

I cannot believe they simply didn't just take Mudiay.   What low first round pick could possibly have higher potential upside than 21yr old Mudiay????  I still cannot comprehend the level of incompetence that is on display from our FO. 

Just touched on this in the other thread.

Thought 1: The Grizzlies buyout Tyreke, either by his request or by the team's wishes. The Grizzlies wanted to trade him at the deadline but couldn't find a deal, so they would rather rid themselves of a guy that would jeopardize draft positioning.

Thought 2: The Grizzlies save face because they were adamant that they wanted to get more for Tyreke than what was being offered. So they will hold on to Tyreke and attempt to sell the fanbase and media on the notion that we're going to attempt to re-sign Tyreke in the offseason.

I'd like to think it will be scenario 1, but I fear scenario 2.

I don't see how sitting him depresses his value this summer. He's already proven all he needs to prove this year and his play has nowhere to go but down, and sitting him takes away the risk that he blows out his knee or something before he gets paid.

sitting him would be professional suicide. 

how does this look?

wallace went to this player and said have a sit...leave the team..get ready, about to trade you..

deadline comes and goes. could not get it done for whatever reason.

now, we are going to go back to him and say...think we will just sit you out the rest of the season..?

the man is healthy and playing his tail off.

so, with he having millions on the line- playing for his contract life in summer...

we are going to tell him he needs to just shut it down..?

good luck ever having respect from any player in the league going forward.

that scenario can't be considered. you have to play him.

slim.

I'd play him 18-20 mins a night just to keep his juices flowing.  Offer the MLE this summer.  8 mil aint bad.  I hear $$$ is going to be tight around the league this summer.  Chris, should have a come to jesus meeting with reke and admit he blew this.  then sell him on a future here.  he's qualified for the 1 year bird rights if he signs accept the MLE this summer.  He can still get paid but its going to take a couple years.  All he has to do is keep balling and stay healthy.

Yes, he'll play.

And I posted this in another thread, but Chris Herrington made an important point regarding Tyreke's future.

The Grizzlies and a lot of times can offer him the MLE this summer.  Those are all the same value, but what the Grizzlies can offer is a chance for him to get his "Early Bird" rights after another season with the Grizzlies.  With any other team, it would take 2 more years for "Early Bird" rights.  That gives the Grizzlies a slight advantage when comparing MLE (about $8.8 mm/year).  He loses that if waived.

However, that probably won't help if a team like the Lakers or Philly or someone else offers him $10 million/year.

10 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

He practiced today and is expected to play Sunday.

Oh my god I hate this team.

47 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

sitting him would be professional suicide. 

how does this look?

wallace went to this player and said have a sit...leave the team..get ready, about to trade you..

deadline comes and goes. could not get it done for whatever reason.

now, we are going to go back to him and say...think we will just sit you out the rest of the season..?

the man is healthy and playing his tail off.

so, with he having millions on the line- playing for his contract life in summer...

we are going to tell him he needs to just shut it down..?

good luck ever having respect from any player in the league going forward.

that scenario can't be considered. you have to play him.

slim.

I disagree. I don't think he can do much more this year than he has already done to prove his worth. He's proven to be injury prone. If I'm Reke, I wouldn't want to play a bunch of minutes risking injury.

I stated in another thread just now that a "maintenance plan" ala what they had Chandler on would make the most sense. Tyreke sits out certain games in order to maintain his health for the long-haul (and to help the Grizz lose some games) and has his minutes monitored in the games that he does play. That at least prevents the bad PR that would come from sitting him on the bench for an endless string of DNPs.

Is this pick up ball or professional basketball?

Of course he will play. Being professional is the only positive thing that he can control. By doing it to the best of his ability, he has the possibility of once being considered washed up by 29 other teams to being wanted by them within a year. Barring injury...

10 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Is this pick up ball or professional basketball?

Of course he will play. Being professional is the only positive thing that he can control. By doing it to the best of his ability, he has the possibility of once being considered washed up by 29 other teams to being wanted by them within a year. Barring injury...

Why does Tyreke care about the other 29 teams opinions of him this summer if he wants to stay in Memphis? 

3 hours ago, GF#1 said:

Thought 1: The Grizzlies buyout Tyreke, either by his request or by the team's wishes. The Grizzlies wanted to trade him at the deadline but couldn't find a deal, so they would rather rid themselves of a guy that would jeopardize draft positioning.

Thought 2: The Grizzlies save face because they were adamant that they wanted to get more for Tyreke than what was being offered. So they will hold on to Tyreke and attempt to sell the fanbase and media on the notion that we're going to attempt to re-sign Tyreke in the offseason.

Yeeeeah. Who coulda seen that coming? :angry:

The state of this organization is a flat out disgrace right now. Simply no other way around it.

3 hours ago, GF#1 said:

I don't fear #2 as long as the team is smart in how they use him down the stretch. If they limit his minutes and don't mess up their chances to get the most ping pong balls possible then I'd love for them to resign Tyreke this summer. 

What I don't want is this opportunity to get a franchise altering player ruined to cover a blunder at the trading deadline. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't fear #2 as long as the team is smart in how they use him down the stretch. If they limit his minutes and don't mess up their chances to get the most ping pong balls possible then I'd love for them to resign Tyreke this summer. 

What I don't want is this opportunity to get a franchise altering player ruined to cover a blunder at the trading deadline. 

I think we're all in agreement, but the part I bolded out makes me extremely nervous.

They not only make major mistakes, they cant admit their mistakes and try tonsalvage what you can from them (eg trading picks and passing up chances to reacquire them)

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Why does Tyreke care about the other 29 teams opinions of him this summer if he wants to stay in Memphis? 

What makes you think he wants to stay in Memphis?

17 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

What makes you think he wants to stay in Memphis?

This is the key question, but if teams are only going to be offering him the MLE, Memphis offers him the chance to make more money in year 2 of that offer.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This is the key question, but if teams are only going to be offering him the MLE, Memphis offers him the chance to make more money in year 2 of that offer.

The whole thing is what else can the G.M. say after failing to pull the trigger on trading him? Sure, Memphis "might" give Reke a MLE, and Reke "might" sign such an offer if in fact one is given. Anything is possible but the probability of it all happening is not likely. I believe that Reke learned a valuable lessen, or at least was presented with one. He faced what all players eventually face, the league was (for the most part) done with him. He had been payed well and then had to take a lowball offer. Health permitting, he will have an opportunity to once again command better pay based on exceeding expectations this season. I think another team will make a better offer to him than the Grizzlies can afford if he stays healthy. I also believe that the F.O. has done things in the past 12 months or so that makes Memphis an undesirable place for most players that have other options.